Alpha 12: Part IV - Dialogues, Tokens, Loot and Services

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Mar 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hi Galactic Survivalists!

While the Content and the Global updates from the previous dev blogs are pretty much set - given nothing unexpected will keep us away from adding them to the game - the following topics are a bit more a ‘What we plan to add to the game, when time permits’ thing.

NPCDialogue-800x450.jpg
    ( WiP NPC Dialogue with 3 answer options)

The following Prototypes have been added only recently to the Alpha 12 feature list, but have a good chance to be in the initial Alpha 12 release. If not, then in Alpha 12.1 and onwards. ;-)

Prototypes
    • NPC Dialogue with Multi-Answer options
      Ever wondered why the bartender in one of the Pax Purgatory bars only wants to sell his beverages but has nothing to say? Want to play a round of Black Jack with those NPCs that seem to dish out cards anyhows? These are only two straight forward possibilities for the upcoming Multi-Answer NPC Dialogue system, Alpha 12 will add. The new way to set up dialogues will be configurable in its own (public) config file and you, as a creative or POI designer, will be able to ‘assign’ a dialogue to certain NPCs. We are looking forward to all the ideas our community will come up with!

• Dynamic Key Tokens
      This is more of a technical advancement, as the game can now modify an item dynamically in the game to provide a specific function.The first implementation will for example allow the game to create an individual “Keycard”-item, giving it an integrated lock code for use with a specific device in a POI, like a door or any devivce that is using lock codes. This specific Keycard (Token) can then either be placed in a container or be added as a loot item, given via PDA or by an NPC. Of course YOU can decide what the 4-digit lock code looks like, for example using the super safe 1234 combination is always a good way!

• Per-Container Loot Table ID
      This is where the new loot setup system comes into play. Currently the loot IDs are set in a config file, so all Zirax Soldiers drop a fixed range of items. With Alpha 12 we plan to add new settings, which will add the possibility to set certain Loot Table IDs for each container or NPC (spawners) individually and directly in your POI - overwriting the “default” Loot Table ID. This will give all creators more granular control over the loot drops for anything that has an ‘inventory’.

• Station Services
      By those we think of services like, re-arm, refill (Fuel, O2, Pentaxid), repair and other services. To make use of these services, we plan to allow the pilot to hail the station and use a dialogue system or a specific UI to make a choice. Although this has just been added to the schedule, there is a chance for this feature to make an appearance in the main release.
    Part IV of the dev blogs is concluding the initial series of 'feature reveal’ info posts.

We plan to release more detailed explanations, single-topic blogs and also in-game teasers on a regular basis, as we are nearing the Experimental stage - which will possibly start more towards early April at the earliest (No liability assumed).

Until then. Read you soon,
    - Empyrion Dev Team

PS: Do not forget to participate in our GAME SURVEY 2020! http://survey.empyriongame.com/

---
    Alpha 12 dev blogs history:
    - Part I - The Galaxy: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-i-the-galaxy.92249/
    - Part II - CPU and Flight model: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-ii-cpu-and-flight-model.92276/
    - Part III - Content and Convenience: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-iii-content-convenience.92299/
    ---

Attached Files:

2. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

These ideas look to be full of potential for developing stories, quests, etc. Excellent news! keep up the good work, guys.

3. GoldDragon

GoldDragon Captain

Looks great :) Might actually feel like an RPG with dialogue. Or at least more alive.

4. Ronewird

Ronewird Commander

More game complexity and variety. Till now all look greath

5. PopeKael

PopeKael Ensign

I would just like to know some sort of 'timeline' for the development cycle. I've been following the development since version 6 and always felt this game has so much potential. Alas, the current factual information about game mechanics is so sparse and uncentralized, I fear that we'll lose more people than we gain. I've run up a server running 11.5 and the game plays well (although there are obvious bugs and quite honestly, who would even listen to someone who has 35 years experience in the computer technology industry so why would I bother to help).
    All I can say is that there is no centralized monitored knowledgebase anyone can rely on any more to wade through the changes introduced over the last 3 years, which simply does the game a disservice. V12 looks like it will launch the game into the starlight with all the things that have been talked about, but only if the developers actually get involved and update the lore on everything Empyrion. This "law" needs to be discussed now and in a framework that can help every server administrator make an easy transition into the future of the game.

6. Supay

Supay Captain

They aren't losing anyone? Most folks get burned out at some point. They stop playing for a while. You look on steam charts you will see like 7k people online during most alpha releases (Minus Alpha 11) so no one goes anywhere that prevents them from coming back. A new alpha like this one will probably bring bigger numbers than before because of the galaxy system. No indie dev team is ever going to put a time table because they are indie and if they don't meet those times people will hang them! The current way means you get new content each year without a subscription.

@Devs The new NPC system with loot to now being able to be tied to a boss? hailing NPCs for interactions is super big. This game is really going in its own direction no one else seems to be heading and I love it.

7. idx64

idx64 Lieutenant

I find it interesting although it points more Online and if there is a lot of dialogue it ends up getting tired, especially if you don't understand much English,. I also hope that they consider the possibility that a player can create a platform for exclusive use of ships of commerce, be it polaris or rebel zirax, to have the possibility to trade in your base.-

xerxes86 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  8. KnowItAllDM

KnowItAllDM Commander

With the new dialogs...

Can we link the dialogues to the PDA missions? Like, have a player accept or refuse a quest by talking to a NPC?

Or have a PDA mission task be to talk to a specific NPC?

9. JinM

JinM Lieutenant

The dialogue options are a very great addition. Combined with the custom loot items it gives map makers and modders incredible posssibilities.

Thank you for this addition! Now I can maybe even create my own POI with it's own dynamic story?

I would like to add, that it would be great if amateurs could easily incorporate NPC dialogues into their POIs in Empyrion's creative mode. Usually making your own dialogues for POI NPS requires alot of effort and sometimes even advanced knowledge, isntead of just starting up creative mode.

Becaus we are at it: If we even could modify our own NPCs for survival in our base to let visitors have dialogues inclusive giving items or opening doors...well that would be incredible. :)

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  10. Beasthammer

Beasthammer Lieutenant

Uh oh. Bit disappointed : /
    My key card is 6 gatlings on the wings usually, but i wonder if i can blow up a sevurity container and still get the loot.
    Loot tables are quite a good idea, i only wonder what will they be used for? Because to be honest there is no loot worth the effort...
    Well for some high end materials some devices are great but the on foot fight mechanics are so inbalanced... No weapons are worth it.

I hope someday there will be valuable loot in the game which will lure ppl on the hunt.

Is there a chance that we will have the opportunity to set a custom timer for corpse deletion? (Beacuse in survival the current value is too short)

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

They are losing players according to steam charts. There was slow but steady growth in the playerbase till it peaked in june 2018. Since then the game has seen a slow but equally steady decline! My opinion is that this trend won't change any time soon, since it seems to be driven by disatisfaction with the current direction of the game and things like the addition of the cpu system and weight and mass.

It's a shame really since I used to enjoy popping back for updates and stuff with my mates. If I come back now though its only to tinker in creative for a couple of days because I'm bored and feel like building something.

Frankly if my first experience of this game was its current form I doubt I'd have stayed long enough to find the forums.

Tyrax Lightning and Wellingtoon like this.
  12. xiaojie233

xiaojie233 Commander

So when we will have a better FPS experience to make the looting more fun?

13. Supay

Supay Captain

So you are telling me when the game goes to the beta you won't play?
    Also, no they don't lose players because once you buy the game and play 2 hours in, you own it for life.
    So I'm sorry I get confused about this losing players thing.
    Do people delete the game remove it from their account?
    Does that count as losing people? because they still got your money even if you ignore the content they add.
    I can understand if you are not happy with the direction of the game.
    I just don't think people liked the buggy aerodynamics and the CPU limits so folks took a break.
    When they add in bonuses for CPU and 5th tier along with aerodynamic fixes.
    Oh and the galaxies aka GALAXY SURVIVAL with stars (not aware of any survival game that lets you visit stars?) black holes, neutron stars, Gas Giants (also not in survival games) and other fun stuff, I bet those numbers exceed 2018?
    Limits are in all games and Empyrion you at least have a choice to turn them off and play.

14. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Wonderful. Complex missions can be a reality and so adventuring. Loot table variations per container are welcome also. Will wait to see those stations services implementation for more.

15. RedSamurai

RedSamurai Lieutenant

Mmmmm...:rolleyes:

TK85 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  16. zztong

zztong Rear Admiral

This is cool, but I would point out somebody creating an adventure might want a few "macguffin" items. That is, otherwise useless items that are plot devices:

The Maltese Falcon
    The Holy Grail
    Ark of the Covenant
    Plans for the Death Star

I'm sure we could put a thread together and suggest a bunch of fictional high-tech sounding do-hickies...

Ingersol Processors?

17. Obcy

Obcy Lieutenant

And I am still waiting for those fully transparent windows.

18. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Captain

Sigh... yes people who have payed for the game will have it in their library unless they completely remove it (which yes you can do) but here's the thing, smaller games like empyrion owe a lot of their success to word of mouth! I heard about, and brought the game, because of a friend and my friends heard about it from me. If your regular playerbase is shrinking that effects the future growth of the game. if someone asked me about Empyrion now I'm not gonna advise them to buy it at the moment.

Thats not a good thing! And that lack of player engagment is lowering the active player base, involvement with the forums, and participation in the experimental branch. All of these are bad things! But hey they've got our money right! We own the game and will do forever, so no worries!.... XD

So no I probably won't be back in any meaningful way. I'll maybe tinker in creative if I feel like building something, but I won't be trying new features and giving feedback, bimbling about with my friends online, or recommending this game to people in its current state. Don't get me wrong I'd like for the game to recapture some of its old spark. I just don't see it happening! and I get the feeling there's a growing number of people that feel the same way.

But hey 12 isn't so far away I guess we can see what the steam charts say then.

TK85, Supay, Tyrax Lightning and 2 others like this.
  19. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

What do people miss about the early versions of the game? I'm talking alpha 5 and before. I started in alpha 6 and the game has come so far and is so much better now in most ways. I'm looking forward to the new NPC dialog and tokens!

Tyrax Lightning, TK85, Supay and 5 others like this.
  20. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Yeah, it really is. Granted, the CPU, weight/volume, and flight model need a bit of polishing(attempting to shoot anything in a SV is a chore at the moment) but there is no question this game is waaaaaaaaay better than it used to be.

This galaxy addition coming in A12 is astounding. Although other games have galaxies(no mans sky, RPG's, strategy games, etc) I think this scope/magnitude in the number of solar systems generated might also be a first in all of voxel based gaming and the potential here is, well, hard to over-state(and that is saying something because man do I like my effusive praise.:) )

It will take time to kick in but with a refinement to the afore mentioned three game systems, this might be adding up to something very neat. Next fall should be quite booming for this game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.