DEV BLOG Alpha 12: Space Defense & NPC Factions

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Mar 10, 2020.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hi Galactic Survivalists!

What happens when you attack a POI in space?

The question may sound trivial. You fight, you win or you get defeated. But beyond that point, there is not a lot of interactivity. Small and large space bases alike do not seem to be that important for the NPC factions, otherwise they would defend them better and very likely have a garrison of combat ships or reinforcements, right?

We recently spoke to our Zirax Empire and Polaris consultants, and as especially our always slightly nervous, weapon wielding friends brought up very convincing arguments, we cannot let this be the case any longer.

Reinforcements incoming!

With Alpha 12, when you are on a hostile or unfriendly standing with the owner of the POI in front of your guns, the station commander will call for help when you are coming too close. Depending on the level of the playfield, the NPC faction's vessels will warp in after a while - or sometimes the call will remain unanswered. There are a few variations possible at that point.

You, as a player, will get a note as soon as enemy warp signatures are detected. But remember: the incoming vessels might only be a part of the full fleet coming for you. ;)

As always, the range of reactions, the ships used and other parameters can be defined by creative minds in the FactionWarfare.ecf.

LegacyMatterConverter.png

Each of the current and upcoming factions will of course send their very own vessels. The Polaris, Zirax and also the Legacy have gotten a total overhaul of their combat vessels lineup only recently. If you do not yet follow our posts on hat topic, have a look in our ‘Lore, Story and Factions’ sub forum: https://empyriononline.com/forums/lore-story-and-factions.94/

You will not only find previews of the new ship types of the different factions, but also background info to the story of the game!

NPC Factions: Call For Papers!

That being said, we also want to add a few new NPC Factions to the upcoming galaxy. As promised, we will eventually open the submission phase for NPC Faction applications!

Submissions & Info: https://empyriononline.com/threads/npc-factions-call-for-papers.92373/

Spread the word!
    We are looking forward to your creative ideas!

While you start to think about your NPC factions stories and lore, have a look at the all new Zirax CV turrets (WiP HighRes) you might soon run into. These will replace the generic “Alien turrets” on all Zirax AI Capital Vessels - step by step. :)

Cheers,
    Empyrion Dev Team

Zirax-CVLaser_HighResWiP.jpg
    Zirax CV Laser Turret (HighRes WiP)

Zirax-CVPlasma_HighResWiP.jpg
    Zirax CV Plasma Turret (HighRes WiP)

Zirax-CVRocket_HighResWiP.jpg
    Zirax CV Rocket Turret (HighRes WiP)

---
    Alpha 12 dev blogs history:
    - Part I - The Galaxy: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-i-the-galaxy.92249/
    - Part II - CPU and Flight model: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-ii-cpu-and-flight-model.92276/
    - Part III - Content and Convenience: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-iii-content-convenience.92299/
    - Part IV - Dialogues, Tokens, Loot and Services: https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-12-part-iv-dialogues-tokens-loot-and-services.92331/
    ---

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    dQgnflua, mark117h, spanj and 26 others like this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Looking good! Can't wait! :D

3. Supay

Supay Captain

Glad things are getting real interesting now! April or May looking pretty good now?

4. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Oh wow those are so like Daleks "Exterminate!" :eek:

5. Hellion

Hellion Commander

this is looking really promising. cant wait to see what people come up with!

6. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

My hat still goes off to the dev team here, always making progress, always alive in the community keep up the good work.

Grapeshot games could learn a few lessons here.

7. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

This is going to be a great update, can't wait to see it all in action!

8. Ephoie

Ephoie Captain

SET FACES TO STUN!

9. boo

boo Commander

still no match for a pvp ship :D

10. cp6891

cp6891 Captain

I wish those turret models were for the player CV and not Zirax. They look awesome! Kind of models I've been hoping to see!

11. Ronewird

Ronewird Commander

i have to much money out on this period...otherwise i was already buying a new pc

12. Supay

Supay Captain

If things go right they will be the kind you hope NOT to see! hehe but jokes aside It would be nice if we get some new turrets as those do look really nice.

13. cp6891

cp6891 Captain

IMO they just look more like the type of turret youd see on the side of warship in space.

14. RedSamurai

RedSamurai Ensign

can we capture these ships?o_O

15. Dem

Dem Commander

"NPC faction's vessels will warp" That is what i want, thank you :D

16. xiaojie233

xiaojie233 Commander

Holy shit!Space is not peace anymore!

17. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Now comes the real tough question:

When we have vanquished our foes, and we stand waist-deep in their ruins, their fleets shattered, their women lamenting , do WE get to call in reinforcements to help us haul away our bounty of spare parts, components and sandwiches?

18. nottrox ¯\ (ツ) /¯

I am a bit confused, why does this thread not have "Part V" in its title?
    Reinforcements are always good to have, kinda :p
    And yes the new turrets look awesome but they are just redesigns aren't they?

(I still hate only the actual CPU system, but not the idea!)

Tyrax Lightning and GoldDragon like this.
  19. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

That was answered in part IV. They are now doing single topic posts and more detailed explanations instead of the Part x type of posts.

"Part IV of the dev blogs is concluding the initial series of 'feature reveal’ info posts.
    We plan to release more detailed explanations, single-topic blogs and also in-game teasers on a regular basis, as we are nearing the Experimental stage - which will possibly start more towards early April at the earliest (No liability assumed)."

20. Track Driver

Track Driver Captain

When we get the "note" that the enemy fleet is warping in, can it:

1. Indicate a vector for the arrival point.
    2. Stay in view until we cancel it with ESC or some other key assignment. (I can't read as fast as I was once able to do)

And yes, I would like to see turrets similar to the new Zirax turrets for player vessels, perhaps as T2 variants.