Alpha 12 - Teleporter Network

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 15, 2020.

?

Like the feature? Give a Thumbs Up!

1. Thumbs up!

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Many thumbs up!

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    • Added: Teleporter CV; can teleport inside the Sector
    • Added: Teleporter BA; can teleport up to 30 Light Years
    • Added: UI for using Teleporters, depending on range, faction standing etc.
    • Added crafting templates
    • Customization: Teleporter blocks support property RangeLY (= 0 only teleports in the current sector are allowed, > 0 teleports up to LY distance are supported, integer value). Default is 30
    • Supporting property 'AttackTimeout' (default is 20s) that will not allow teleport for this amount of time after an attack. (only on player structures, not on NPC/Faction structures)
    • Added possibility to set a teleporter to work with the “Teleport Network”. Only teleporters activated for the Teleport Network will contribute to a player's teleporter network. Uncheck if you want a POI to not be available from the outside.
    • Allow entity id instead of "name or group name" of entity (mainly for use via ModAPI)
    • NPC Portals and Teleporters in POIs that are NOT tied to the new teleporter system, but for example used for fixed teleports > enhanced syntax for target to
      Code:
      DeviceName@StructureName:PlayfieldName@SolarSystemName#Origin
      !! IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO ADJUST THE SYNTAX OF TELEPORTERS AND PORTALS TO ADD THE SolarSystemName IF THE TARGET IS OUTSIDE THE CURRENT SOLAR SYSTEM !!
      Note: This does NOT apply for targets that are instances as they get loaded all the time. Note: This does NOT apply to the teleporters players can build in survival! (Player teleporters do not use a fixed syntax, but the new, dynamic target-range finding!)
    • Teleporter UI shows all NPC target stations in an 'extended' range (actual range + X) but does not allow teleportation if the targets are out of range of your current teleporter (Should serve as a info about sectors/systems that are only slightly out of reach).
    TeleporterCV-800x450.png

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    -tba-

3. Toxxiksilver

Toxxiksilver Ensign

question.... how would you setup the new teleporters to be public so anyone can use them?

4. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    If a player places a TP on a structure then sets the structure to "Public" they will not appear for anyone else in the TP window.
    The only way to share a TP as a player is if the other players are in the same faction (create a faction in the factions window & have the other players apply to join) & the structure the TP is placed on is also set to be in the faction via the control panels main window.

Germanicus likes this.
  5. Toxxiksilver

Toxxiksilver Ensign

Ok so I have to have everyone on the server join my faction to make teleporters public, that doesnt make sense, the NPC factions teleporters are public as long as you have reputation, so why shouldnt our teleporters be able to be used by factions we are allied with? With build restrictions and other limitations it just makes sense that player made teleporters should be able to be opened up to allies or even public, since NPC factions can.

I am just asking if this change could be worked in somewhere in the future, i am not asking for it now, just when it could be fitted in, and its only a suggestion but i believe my argument as to why can NPC factions have public teleports but we cannot is a sound one.

6. Escarli

Escarli Rear Admiral

I was able to utilise teleporters on my latest cv to work internally to get around more easily (it's an odd design). Very cool feature and opens up possibilities for interesting builds

Very cool feature

7. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    There might be a change in the future on this but I cannot guarantee anything at this point.
    The potential for griefing from other players is too high to allow player set "Public" bases to appear in the teleporter window it had to be removed.

8. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

I would suggest using a "Friends" list to enable non-faction members to utilize player Teleporters - if you're on someone's list, then you can use their teleporters, if not, then you can't. This won't prevent griefing, but will greatly diminish it, since we don't typically grief our friends, nor remain friends with those who grief us.

9. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Taken from here:

https://empyriononline.com/threads/a12-exp-teleporter-system.92650/

Some complementary information not in the first message here, just for convenience...

10. Fisch050

Fisch050 Lieutenant

I wasn't aware of this thread until just now. This is copied from my post in the A12 announcement thread:
    Some general feedback. Since I don't think they are bugs, I am posting them here.

1) Teleporters require INSANE amounts of energy to keep running. Can't they operate more like shields? A spike in energy when used, and low power consumption otherwise? They are worthless for jumping between bases, unless you don't mind having your base powering off. Basically, one teleporter = one base. CV's really can't be powered off, which means if I jump down to the planet surface, my CV is going to burn through fuel at a ridiculous rate. So, right now, teleporter's are not very useful.

2) Passengers in ships cannot see the results of the ship detector being fired. The passenger (or, more accurately, co-pilot and navigator) should be able to see the results of the ships detector being fired. It gives them somthing to do, makes them much more useful, and allows for conversations about where to go next. (If I can find a more appropriate location for item 2, I will cross-post it there.)

sulferon and krazzykid2006 like this.
  11. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

attach a sensor on them.. to turn off when not in use.

plenty of people including myself do this

12. Fisch050

Fisch050 Lieutenant

Thank you! That is a good idea, and an embarrassingly obvious one. I will give it a try. :oops::)

johnietoth1967 likes this.
  13. That still only works in MP and CO-OP.
    It doesn't work in SP.

14. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

ahh gotcha

15. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Maybe have a long range teleporter, that only works above 30LY and have to be directly linked to another. BA only and expensive both materials and power.

16. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

TP Tip?:
    The sensor for the teleporter I put in a 1 sec delay to turn TP off. Because if you go into the TP menu and the power/teleporter goes off, you still can TP.
    Also have a cargo box with some fuel on a BA/CV with teleporter, in case the fuel is used up and you TPed to it (and do not want to fiddle with making fuel).
    Sometimes it can be an idea to have a separate base with just a teleporter (and solar/generator&tank, core), beside the regular base. Then no risk of draining power from a farm or production.

johnietoth1967 likes this.
  17. johnietoth1967

johnietoth1967 Commander

I have often thought of making a separate "return" home base TP as the TP does not require to be powered on (active) to be used. Makes you wonder, can you set several "one way TP's" around the world? I also like the idea of having small custom made TP's with Solar and Solar Caps only (maybe 2 caps) to allow one to Zip around at will. If you don't use them very often (any particular TP) they Solar should keep them charged up for a return trip. Just have to figure out exact how much power vs caps are needed. Of course all these require sensors to turn them off. This idea does have merit.

18. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

A teleporter have no "black/white list" of incoming TP requests (yet). You can set it to TP one way from it, to a fixed target instead of being a hub.
    Access might be controlled by faction standing. Found out by God Mode change a teleporter for the Planet Remnant POI, to public hub, where could not TP to it again. Is an option of one-way TP by using a Player Spawner plate (those invisible blocks in Starter POIs with a core).
    Advised to Device group any teleporter device and give it an unique name.

19. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Rear Admiral

Upon further reflection, I'm wondering if it would be possible to add a drop-down menu to the teleporter or Portal as well as a text box to be used like a signal source. Consider:

You construct a teleporter, fill in the tag box with "Base On Starter", choose "Targeted Teleport", and your Teleporter is not part of the galactic teleport network. You build another Teleporter, this time on a CV, fill in the tag box with "CV Teleporter", and from the drop-down menu, choose "Base on Starter", and "Targeted Teleport", your CV teleporter now links your base teleporter to your CV teleporter, up to 30 Light Years distance.

Or, perhaps you want to mix things up a little, you change your base teleporter from "Targeted Teleport" to "Teleport Network". Your CV still just teleports you to the "Base on Starter" tagged teleporter, but now your base Teleporter is linked to the Teleporter Network.

Portals could be handled in a similar manner - tagging them and targeting them to corresponding Portals, though without the distance restriction.

20. Pear78

Pear78 Captain

as a server admin, how would I go about setting up a admin/community base with publicly available teleports?
    would this require to be set up as a POI? or is there an easier way? can this be done on a server that is already running?

we tried
    Admin core
    Admin core set to Adm
    Admin core set to UCH (they have no rep)
    Admin core set to Civ
    NPC core
    NPC core set to UCH
    NPC core set to Adm
    NPC core set to Civ

all results are simular to a teleporter set to public; you can teleport away from it, but not to it

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020