DEV BLOG Alpha 12 - Wednesday Roundup

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Hello Galactic Survivalists!

It’s wednesday again! First and foremost: We hope you are all well - and if not, we hope you will get well very soon! And because we got a lot of concerned emails and messages: Everyone in the team is Ok or is already getting better. Thanks a lot for all the wishes. :)

We have been kind of silent the last 2 weeks, simply because a lot of code work had to happen, to flesh out the features.

Today we have a mix of different things that made good progress and got added until recently.
    1. The Empyrion ingame card game?
      Our Modelling team has been busy with some new stuff. We added two new devices (we will not disclose just yet. Sorry ;) ) and a few others, like the Zirax CV turrets that are currently in a finishing phase.

A new entry to the blocks and devices are two gambling tables.

GamblingDesk2.png

What started as an internal use case, just for testing the NPC Dialogue system with a Black Jack script, found some interest in the tester group and the team itself. So we thought: Where Star Trek TNG has had Poker, Star Wars has Sabacc, BSG has Triad Cars .. how would the favored Card-game based amusement of Polaris, Talon, Zirax and other species in Andromeda be named and how would it work?

Any ideas? Let us know your suggestions for a name and a system! We might use it! :)

2. New playfield types!
      While the galaxy has grown the amount of stars to fill with something to explore, we are constantly looking for new playfield types to integrate. While we are happy to review any suggestion you send us via email, we have opened the CUSTOM PLAYFIELDS forum for that purpose: https://empyriononline.com/forums/custom-playfields-systems.76/

That being said, reworks of old playfield types and new iterations, are in the works already. A new Ice Moon and a Forest Moon will be part of the mix, soon.

ForestMoon.png

IceMoon2-outside.png
      Hint: Alpha 12 will also see the addition of a menacing “Legacy Faction” playfield type, which will reveal a lot of what this faction is up to. Playfield will be revealed in the next weeks. ;)

3. New models and resources!
      In Alpha 12 we will not only have Ice available on Asteroids in space eventually, but we will also add a new resource to the game the first time ever: Titanium

And while we added a forest moon with endless quantities of Plant Fiber, and because the item has become a very popular meme in the current pandemic times, we added Toilet paper (including a slightly updated toilet model) as an item for your very discreete player avatar needs as well. Of course you cannot buy it at a trader. ;)

Feel free to make suggestions which status effect we should allow to be cured with it! (except the obvious ;)

ToiletRun.png

4. Respawn changes
      Alpha 12 will also see some changes in the Respawn mechanic which everyone, who has run into a literal dead end, might like.

First, the survival tent is now a possible respawn option. When you die, you can select the closest survival tent from the respawn menu. So make sure to be prepared.

Second: you will now get a respawn option, even if you have NO home-button checked CV or BA or even a survival tent. You can respawn in a Clone Chamber or Medbay of the CLOSEST BA or CV that belongs to you or your faction, even if these structures have not been set in the HOME checkbox in the Control Panel!

In addition, you get a third way of respawning: When you are at least NEUTRAL with a NPC Faction AND you discovered one of their stations, equipped with either Medbay or Clone Chamber, before, you will get offered the closest of these stations as a respawn option as well!

5. Registry and Markers
      We are currently reworking how the REGISTRY works. Not only because the Registry needed an update to handle the new star systems, but with Alpha 12 it will offer a lot more options and work more like a real Journey-book, where all your discoveries are noted. Not only your own or your faction's stuff, but also terrain placeables like Autominers, ore deposits and a lot more. Filters will help to manage all these entries.

In addition, when setting a Waypoint on one of those entries, those markers are now visible on planets while you are in space - and vice versa!

And: the markers will also work in space as a pre-set warp target. So aim for them, accelerate and warp right away! No need to hammer the Lock-Target Button on the Map anymore.

MarkerPlanet.png
    As a closing comment - and because we got asked this quite a lot: we are currently preparing for the Experimental to start mid of April (if nothing goes wrong). As always: No liability assumed. :D

Watch out for a scheduled live Q&A ahead of the EXP.

Read you soon,
    Empyrion Dev Team

Attached Files:

Grandirus, Isenrul, Ronewird and 35 others like this.
  2. roggab

roggab Ensign

Cool! This is cool! Good news about a good game!

3. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

"we added Toilet paper (including a slightly updated toilet model) as an item for your very discrete player avatar needs as well. Of course you cannot buy it at a trader"

Aha! Spotted your April Fools joke. Nice one.

ion_storm, Sofianinho, TK85 and 8 others like this.
  4. Supay

Supay Captain

Great job and glad the team is doing well. I cannot wait for mid-april considering I will still be locked down in my house. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Ephoie, TK85, xiaojie233 and 5 others like this.
  5. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

Gambling in Empyrion? Sounds legit. Of course Empyrion needed moar RNGesus in it. :p

Also, judging by the Signs around the Table, I assume it'll be operated something like how one operates stuff in Tabletop Simulator? :p

Also, i'm certain i've spotted the April Fool's gag... it's... the Toilet Paper in the Hotbars 'supposedly' not being able to stack above one item in amount tops! :p

ion_storm, Ephoie, TK85 and 5 others like this.
  6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

While still reading this line ->
    Respawn changes
    Alpha 12 will also see some changes in the Respawn mechanic which everyone, who has run into a literal dead end...

My mind came up with Toilette Paper..:D:D

Ephoie, Sofianinho, TK85 and 4 others like this.
  7. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Sounds awesome!!!!

8. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

1rst Aprils fools joke... I think.

2nd Aprils fools joke.

Nicely played and the other stuff looks neat too.

This is gonna be epic.

9. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Other thoughts; I wonder if I differ from the broader player base in regards to this comment. I firmly believe that there SHOULD be a way to achieve an "end to your game." I have achieved a "end game by gravity" a "end game by Black Pyramid resource-less planet" and a "end game by Fractalite is a dumbass and did not bring enough Pentaxid with him." I am not only okay with these, but they add an important dimension to the game.

There shouldn't be a way to resuscitate from all events. I would humbly propose that maybe something awful happens and you need to start a new game? If you invented or designed an amazing BP that you want to retrieve from the game where you cannot recover there is always Godmode? In addition, I am not sure I am real excited by the reviving via survival tent. This completely eliminates the need for a clone chamber? What is more; I kinda was hoping to remove the "spawn nearby" aspect of the death screen and only have "respawn at nearby clone/medic chamber."(also as a side note, to help differentiat between the two the clone chamber brings you back at 25% of all stats and the medic chamber 75%)

Do not get me wrong, I recognize that there may be many players with more fragile psyche then me so I am not wishing to impose unhappiness; just wanted to voice some of my hesitations here.

Edit: Instead of death, I mean, "end of game" - changed that.

10. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I think those could be game options, but you should always be able to respawn at your closest base with a clone chamber I would think.
    Empyrion is a game built around being able to respawn. Clone chambers and such are part of the game's mechanics and so I'm glad to see that you'll be able to say, for example, respawn on your CV in orbit if you die on the planet's surface even if that CV isn't set as your home spawn. (If I'm reading this right it looks like that's what will happen).
    It makes sense, from an immersion and game play perspective. Of course a player can still get themselves stuck in various ways, they could run out of fuel or pentaxid, their respawn location could be very far away, etc. So there's still the element of danger.
    But "permanent" death could be a game option but I don't think it would fit in well with the default game mode.
    Plus this might open the way to remove the "spawn nearby" option, forcing you to make sure you have a survival tent or clone chamber nearby. :D

11. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Yeah, I suppose that is true, spawning is kinda everything; you spawn your ship, blocks, escape pod, etc.

I just wanted to voice, as I have in the past, that instability, tension, and consequences should not be avoided. Definitely not embraced except in areas of great menace and difficulty, but not avoided.

Yeah, I really want that option gone. But that could be just me. :)

12. xiaojie233

xiaojie233 Commander

Can we make toilet paper out of fibers and sell it to aliens?:D

13. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Today was the worst day to release this info, lol.
    I REALLY hope these aren't just an April fools joke!

If they aren't a joke then I absolutely love you for these changes!

14. xiaojie233

xiaojie233 Commander

I guess these are all true except toilet paper:rolleyes:

15. xiaojie233

xiaojie233 Commander

For card games, I hope that devs can draw inspiration from some classic German board games, because the gambling system I see in many other games is often black jack, which is boring.A well-designed mini-game will bring a very good experience, like the Gwent in The Witcher 3 and Texas Hold'em in Red Dead Redemption 2.They blend into the background of the game.I'm very glad to see Empyrion has it own designed mini-game.Let me see if there is a board game designer here;)

Tyrax Lightning and Maverick241 like this.
  16. mike me

mike me Commander

How do I turn off updates?

17. xiaojie233

xiaojie233 Commander

You should ask Valve

18. Hector G

Hector G Commander

Wow A12 really has me excited to jump back in. Cross my fingers everything goes well I wanna play!!!

Tyrax Lightning and Germanicus like this.
  19. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

That's the one I was really hoping was real too. Lol :D

Tyrax Lightning and Germanicus like this.
  20. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Opt in to a previous version of the game, such as Alpha 10.
    Note: previous versions are not supported by the developers anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.