Alpha 4.4: Modular Building

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Nov 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I agree more textures should be added next. I would like to see more exterior and interior metal textures. More ship armor textures, wall and floor textures. Also adding rotor and piston type of blocks like SE will make this game perfect for builders. I just can't wait to see the AI controlled ships, that will change this game completely.

2. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

setrotation ID y+90
    setrotation ID y+180

Yeah, "y" seems to be the only one that responds to the command. I tried tilting a derelict into the ground with x and z, but it kept snapping to 0,0,0 rotation. At least we can still turn a flat base around before merging -ex... but fleshing out the command with x and z would be fun to have.

3. Dinkelsen

Dinkelsen Captain

Oh, so rotating around the other axes does not work? Too bad, but Y is the most needed axis anyway.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!

4. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Actually, you may not want to use y+-#. It seems like that shouldn't really work ;) as if you do setrotation ID y+180 and repeat the command a few dozen times... the Y rotation number just keeps climbing. Which can't be good for the in-game positional math lol!

But what I did find, is if you do this instead:

setrotation ID 0,90,0

Will rotate it to its 90 degree mark according to the landscape. Which means, if you dont know its current rotation, adding 90 to turn it, will be difficult. However with this command you CAN tilt and turn it on x and z, just fill in the numbers like 45,45,45 and you'll have it real cockeye.

5. Zuleica

Zuleica Rear Admiral

Sure but what do you suggest we need to purify?

6. Manabind

Manabind Ensign

I love everything accomplished so far, tho I would ask a question at this juncture. Why does the Mergestructs command only work in Creative Games? This does not help anyone on servers one bit....why was this overlooked?

7. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I think... I think I may have just seen the light. And I largely retract some of my criticism... Do not get me wrong - even with my new found revelation, minigun turrets and mounted SV weapons still need at least SOME help, but, I just spent a few hours going through a new Survival start and used a turret I have never used before; the Rocket turret for HV's.

And by golly, damn is that thing hot. I mean, WOW. So , so very cool!

I dunno, I think maybe this change in weakening minigun/rapidfire stuff is a good idea - it incentivizes people to actually progress to the later turrets/weapons - which is something I caught myself considering - when have I used anything but the minigun turret on HV's for almost 2/3 of the game, if not more?

Perhaps a better way of addressing this challenge is to work with Scoob's ideas - the resistances, but maybe, in addition to that, the other turrets are too in-accessible - both in materials and where they are at in the unlock/tech tree. Spreading things out a bit(also including costs of ammo,) might ease some of the strain being felt right now rather than just tipping the balance wave machine back the other direction.

I know I know, I can hear the complaints now, "but I wanna be able to use the minigun turrets!" Or, "But I should be able to use the fixed miniguns on my SV's for the whole damn game, even against super heavy Plasma drones!" Also, "but people should be able to play with what they want" And I say this not to be snide - but more because I had to do this with myself; like @Scoob mentioned here: http://empyriononline.com/threads/vessel-weapons-damage-against-well-everything.8314/ it simply does not make any sense for a minigun to be able to damage anywhere near something like a plasma turret and it should not be relevant in many of the situations where it currently is - to some degree, even against regular drones. I think I, like many here, was spoiled by an alpha game that had not balanced things so I was able to use the 6 miniguns on my SV to kill drones when I should not have been able to. It would be like... lets take a different scenario; what if this was "Cave man Survival" and the starting weapon was the rock club... but at later stages you could advance to the shaman wand. Why would you still use the rock club? Do not get me wrong, it might still be viable for certain feats or tasks, but it just would not make sense? The Shaman wand would make more sense in the later stages. Or even Minecraft... which I am loath to compare to, so forgive me, but, why use iron/steel weapons, when you could use diamond? There are situations where you can only really feasibly use Diamond, even with lower-level enemies. Thus, now that things are balancing, it was my failure to adapt, NOT the developers.

I type this out with this specific frame of reference, because despite my reading that people are frustrated with not being able to kill a critter with a minigun, I think there is more to it than that - more a, familiarity, with a weapon performing in a certain way, thus, I think I am with Scoob now - drones would need more, and the rocket turret, bless that wonderful thing, is more. :)

Of course that is relative to the content that exists in/at the later stages in the game - where there is very little to speak of, at least currently. If that changes then things can be revisited, but right now, MOST of the game in single player is spent in the first few hours gearing up, and having a minigun turret to fend of faun(which is something that does need to change,) and then the rocket turret to help you to progress to SV's and CV's and the later HV turrets is a good idea(although, I am not sure if that is the intent of the developers.)

If you have not tried the rocket turret, you really should - it is not that hard to acquire and is tons of fun.

Hive and oojimaflip like this.
  8. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Because they are a first implementation, a core mechanic not meant for servers where it can be WAY too easily exploited and used to grief other players with. There is a reason they made it Creative only right now. Be patient though, more coming in ways of building tools! (for both Creative, and Survival!)

9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Didn't want to quote everything, but I agree with what you're saying. I do try to use the full range of turrets available, and yes the Rocket Turrets are a great progression, but expensive to run with the amount of drones I've got flying around lol :)

I do believe that the likes of the Minigun Turret and Gatling fixed gun need to be better vs. Critters - it's a little silly currently - but the vs. Drone balance is ok to me. I mean, I'd treat the Gatling/Minigun as a basic weapon against low-level threats, not something that should be effective vs. a Military armoured drone.

The thing is, since the addition of the Tracer effect, both Gatlings and Miniguns are just too darn cool not to play with! I'd suggest these weapons are rebalanced to be more effective vs. critters, but equally maybe allow us to fit a lot more to a vessel than any other weapon type. Additionally, while 100 rounds per build is generous, maybe make it higher for the same material cost so bullet spam over multiple Gatlings/Minigun Turrets doesn't hurt so much.

This way, we can have our early-game creations feel effective vs. critters and, via simply increasing the number of weapons, make it at least competent vs. Drones, but very much the low-tech solution. Sure, once the player obtains enough materials to jump to rockets, plasma etc. then that's the right thing to do. However, in the meantime hoard most of that Magnesium as 15mm rounds should be cheap to make, saving them for when you can build Rockets.

A quick caveat: I play on custom worlds with Hard difficulty, so drones have much tougher, I also make levelling as slow as it can be, so getting to the higher levels to be able to research the higher-tier turrets takes a lot of game time. I've been playing my current game a good 20hrs+, have taken out 400+ drones, yet I still don't have anywhere near the resources for a CV - despite six Autominers (just T1) deployed for many hours. Basically, a tough, slow-leveling game.

Scoob.

Hive likes this.
  10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

All this weapons talk really needs a focused thread for it. Having it all peppered in this thread, is just going to get lost! :D

11. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

undo needs to work with setposition.

I messed up typing in the setposition command. I typed ID x_.1 instead of x-.1. It teleported the structure off to god knows where.

Also would like to be able to use the rotate tool on the child structure? Or something that's more point and click and have it snap to when I bring the structures close. Would be nice if I could grab the whole structure and rotate it around like a block. Maybe a grid overlay I can position it on and have it snap to whatever point I place it on the grid.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    Hive likes this.
  12. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Oops, when I replied to @Fractalite I thought we were still in the separate thread... if he copy/pastes his post there, I'll do the same :)

Scoob.

Fractalite and Frigidman like this.
  13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

It would have dropped it at default coords 0,0,0. Use the setposition command again to bring it back to where you are using hummels guide noting the part on 'self position' http://empyriononline.com/threads/guide-mergestructs-setposition-setrotation.8327/

But yeah, heh... an undo would be nice ;) I did that too, any typo, sends the structure to coords 0,0,0 lol.

14. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

No need to fight over the minigun turrets > we'll revert the change until we can make a difference between drones and NPCs.
    Drones will get an additional buff in their damage

Hive, Fractalite and LiftPizzas like this.
  15. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Ah, it was a fun fight while it lasted! ;)

Thanks Hummel, appreciate this :)

Scoob.

16. Siege Inc.

Siege Inc. Captain

It will take some getting used to but the UI for it could be more user friendly.

17. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

I'm ok with getting tougher drones. They (and all the NPCs) need to be better at AI though instead of just getting more and more hit points or doing crazy fast damage.
    I disagree with miniguns not being able to take out metal targets. A-10 Warthog anyone? ;)
    [​IMG]

Also if that were a justification then the miniguns on the minigun drones should also be made to accomplish nothing. :p

Also also the purpose of HV turrets (or at least the main reason I use them) is so that when you are inside a POI or otherwise occupied your HV can defend itself from drones.

The biggest problem with the rocket turret is that it requires neodymium to make ammo. You only get a small amount on Akua in the form of random loot. On the plus side it does seem to hit the block I aimed at, so it's not like it is swerving away from the turret to hit the core.

dtmullican likes this.
  18. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

"Also if that were a justification then the miniguns on the minigun drones should also be made to accomplish nothing. :p"
    - I disagree, they would be deadly to players on foot, but useless towards vehicles... Sort of a beginner drone - they could even run back to the Drone Base if confronted by something more intimidating.

And
    That image is of a softer target, So yes, you are, of course, correct; if the Empyrion turrets looked like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAU-8_Avenger#/media/File:GAU-8_meets_VW_Type_1.jpg Then they would obliterate soft to medium targets - so I am game for the CV(and possibly the SV... maybe) turrets to hit like a truck against certain entities. :)

Also: The A-10's gun are less effective against the main/side armor of a tank:

Armor penetration of Armor-Piercing Incendiary ammunition, BHN-300 RHA, attack angle 30 degrees from vertical:[21]
    • 76mm at 300 meters
    • 69mm at 600 meters
    • 64mm at 800 meters
    • 59mm at 1,000 meters
    • 55mm at 1,220 meters

but they excel at taking out a tank's other aspects - hitting weaker spots; treads, fuel, turret, etc. So maybe minguns less effective against super heavy drones, Combat armor, etc. EDIT: Also, if drones ever get differing moving parts, the miniguns could be used to take out their engines, gun, whatever.

As I searched for that image, I read parts of the wiki page concerning the GAU-8 Avenger... and, take a moment, consider that image... and then, according to the article at the "High" setting, the gun fires at a rate of 4200 rpm.... that is NUTS. I wonder what that sounds like? The booming burp of doom?

The minigun in this video is what I think of as an HV minigun turret: - and that would not do well against many more advanced targets.

And yes, I will be considerate and will remove myself to the other thread concerning this topic... I even started that thread! Yeeeesh. Do forgive me. Wine and family matters around thanksgiving have me a tad... irritable. :)

Hive likes this.
  19. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

Not to mention, with HV Plasma and Rockets, your home planet soon becomes a giant field of craters.

20. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Heh, I really like that feature - the Titan rear section in my game is surrounded by a mass of craters and is partially destroyed, the fight around this area has been intense!

Scoob.

Fractalite likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.