Alpha 5.5: Visuals, Performance and POI Updates

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

Oxygenation of ships; give me a debug block i can place anywhere to specify "this space has O2" and I'll be happy.;)

Pressurization; using any kind of flow calculation, bounding, internal volume calculations, etc, will be bad for performance. Space Engineers has O2 pressurization turned off by default; because it's just too intensive for most PCs. Please, Eleon, do not implement breathable spaces this way!

Oh and some attention for Creative Building Tools would be muchly apreciated, they are falling behind quite badly! (multiple mirror planes, painting and texturing that respect mirror planes, sizable painting and texturing tools, default block states for paint and texture, fix the bugs with lights and flares not remembering setup, fix mergestructs, implement cut and paste, implement SI for ships...... man I could go on for hours!)

new turret models are ok I guess, but as a builder, working with a block building game, I can think of many, many areas that need far more attention than new turrets, lens flares (my eye is a camera now? yeah I know every game does it, but EVERY game ANNOYS me for doing it, my EYE is NOT a CAMERA, I DO NOT SEE LENS FLARES!:mad:)

I think I need to stop typing now, before this turns into a major rant. Apologies for being terribly reductive about the update and not having anything nice to say. :(

2. AstroGamer1742

AstroGamer1742 Lieutenant

OMG alpha 6!!. This will be one of the best alpha in all alphas from 1 to 6, because it granted my wish, which was basically, acid rain radiation on planets and different suits to survive the radiation and acid rain!!

Now i can finally start playing this game after a lot of boring stuff (not that boring but i like space and planets with harsh environment so for me it was boring to attack POIs and get loot but alien life and flora and fauna was good though). :)

Tyrax Lightning, Pyston and rainyday like this.
  3. AstroGamer1742

AstroGamer1742 Lieutenant

And not only defence but protection from radiation and acid rain too!

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

GREAT UPDATE!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for 6.0... Could you please consider adding oxygenating rooms to CVs because some of us would like to spend more time in on our CVs doing stuff without having to grab oxygen every few minutes. I've started building HVs and SVs on my Capital vessel now and now that mining in your CV is a thing it would only make sense to add this feature to CVs. Plus in most SCI FI Space TV shows they wear their inside armor or dress down outfits on their CVs. Other than that YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! AI controlled vehicles on the planet, different armor and now weather effects you?? I love this game.

5. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

@oojimaflip We want the things we don't currently have. And when we have those, we want something else. Add the fact that people want different (and sometimes opposite!) things - and it all becomes clear: Im glad Im not a game designer! :p

Well, on a more serious note - you have good points regards building tools needing update. Im just too happy about 6.0 that I don't currently care! :p (Even if I do. I do hope for some love for building tools too. Seriously.)

6. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I so agree with the Oxygenation of ships. LIKE CVs and well SVs could have a smaller one but at least give us the ability to take our helmets off on CVs.

Ballard, Tyrax Lightning and Pyston like this.
  7. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

Yeah, in all of this madness I almost forgot this - this is BIG thing! I mean how awesome is that? Taking out Freighters is fun, if we get to have combat on planet that is not just against drones or immobile bases it will be huuge. I can see it adding extra layer to POI takeovers - maybe SV's or HV's scramble to defend the base, who knows? Attacks on your base escalating from drones to proper vessels? Oh the possibilities. Even just free roaming/patrolling SV's and HV's on planet would be awesome.

8. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Dont worry, Eleon are fully aware of the faults of SE and wish to avoid doing their mistakes ;)

Hehe yeah! Maybe the helmet visor causes it ... BUT At the very least, taking off a helmet should stop all the flares. But I can understand them existing when looking through cameras (like for your personal drone, or manning a turret).

9. oojimaflip

oojimaflip Captain

You Sir, have made my day!

I know you're not "official", but your word is good enough for me. (for now;):D)

10. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Lol not my words! Just observations ;)

11. Cpt_Beefheart

Cpt_Beefheart Captain

With having oxygen contained inside of builds on its way....
    ~how about adding a device that uses functionality from the docking pads, but is a docking ring that can fit around a normal size door?
    ~allowing one vessel to dock to another at a proper point where the player can then move seamlessly from one to the other without needing to put their helmet back on in between?

12. Gusfraba

Gusfraba Commander

just so this argument between pressurization and oxygenization can be somewhat laid to rest, as people, including myself, are using different terminology for the same thing.

Pressurization : to confine the contents of under a pressure greater than that of the outside atmosphere; especially : to maintain near-normal atmospheric pressure in during high-altitude or spaceflight (as by means of a supercharger)

adding any kind of molecule to an area increases pressure, think of the bottled o2 you pull from the generator, and the o2 dispensers when you use them. the hiss that it creates is created by pressure, as you are giving compressed air a means to leave the machine through a confined space. 'oxygenizing' a confined area is a form of pressurization, as you are increasing/decreasing the atmospheric density in a localized area using o2 particles.

Definition courtesy of Merriam-webster.

13. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I believe they are making all the logistics and realism more "game friendly"... and just going to make it so you can breath and not die, and there are no major engineering hurdles or degrees someone must attain just to build a simple shelter ;)

14. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

With this system of 'gas markers' on inside blocks of bases/stations/ships we could (probably) have in future big POI dungeons, as Devs called them, with some sections filled with toxic gases and also some of them with radiation or high temperature, ... so different personal equipment, suits, paths, tactic, etc will be needed to take over new abandoned factories or mines ... :cool:

POI makers will have blast with this new addition in their creations, one day in near future :D

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  15. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Don't tempt me.......... I would go bonkers with that kind of stuff! :D

16. rainyday

rainyday Rear Admiral

First of all, this is great, been hoping for environmental hazards and its awesome to get those in the 6.0.

But as there will be more player affecting effects - I really hope you are looking into making sure that the effects that are currently affecting player are clearly visible. There shouldn't be any guessing or need to try to find the information needed - effects should be clearly visible, including how to remedy that effect.

If I start losing health and there's a small symbol on the bottom left of my screen, I usually don't even notice it there or have an idea whats wrong/what to do looking at the symbol. It needs to be clear, big & bright enough TEXT in a location that draws my attention and gives me all the information that I need. For example: "PARASITE. Find antidote!" Or "ACID RAIN. Find shelter!" There are going to be (already is) so many effects that small symbols are just not enough to make a clear difference between all the effects and one symbol can easily be interpreted for multiple things.

I don't like too much game playing instead of me and helping out too much - but some things need to be clear. Hiding information is rarely a good thing. This is escpecially true with players coming into this game - there's a lot of confusion regarding the current effects already - so Im sure if not thought out, new effects will only add to the confusion. As an more experienced player these things are easily forgotten as we've learned to do things already.

There was a short discussion about this a while back in the suggestions: http://empyriononline.com/threads/better-gui-description-of-status-effects.9428/

Eclypseon, PhiPhi, TK85 and 1 other person like this.
  17. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Fairly sure that the teaser in 5.4 showed 2 pictures of debug for pressurized rooms and one was defiantly a CV

18. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Such a great job guys. Looking forward to having a go at this later this evening.

And for a moment there I was expecting release candidate V ;).

In all seriousness though, right there is the evidence that you care. The original 5.5 experimental post introduced some of the excellent additions, tweaks and changes now in the 5.5 main branch - before all the balancing, extra POIs and other things you and the community have been working on since then. You could have just said “that’ll do, it’s not a major update after all” very early on, but it wasn’t going to go live until you were satisfied. That is what makes you awesome!

Kudos to you and all the POI and CV contributors out there, and everyone who has tested, reported and fed into the process.

... :eek: ...

... :D ...

Do this right and Empyrion jumps to a whole new level. So many things now going over in my head…

How many layers of concrete will we need to stop that radiation causing us to grow extra fingers? Will the shower decos become functional radiation showers? Will we be getting bio weapons and nukes now? We will get a survival heater for those early days on cold planets (another use for bio fuel?). How badass can we make these planet-side AI controlled vessals? Will my SV cockpit now have heated seats and a massage function! ;)

Oh, you big tease :p

Eclypseon, TK85 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  19. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I totally agree. Now we have a reason good reason to build tanks and insane SVs. I hope they add enemy CVs and SVs in space too.

TK85 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  20. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

DID SOMEONE SAY NUKES?? LOL Please don't tease me like that. If they added Nukes to this game I would make sure I had a few. I don't care how long it takes to mine the resources for it. ;) That would be insane.

robchatc35 and Tyrax Lightning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.