Alpha 6.7: Patch and "Road to Alpha 7 - Part II"

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Sep 8, 2017.

1. GTv

GTv Captain

I don't really remember many wheeled vehicles rolling off the Enterprise... at least not the real Enterprise before JJ got a hold of it. :)

Tyrax Lightning and SilvRav like this.
  2. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I recall ONE Wheeled Vehicle... it was in a Star Trek TNG Movie... I forget what its name was now... too long ago.

jmcburn likes this.
  3. 1979danb

1979danb Commander

wheels in a space game set in the future to me would be like driving a horse and cart in forza!

Tyrax Lightning and eLLe like this.
  4. michaelhartman89

Not every civilization in a space game may be space faring;)

Damn you George Lucas with those stupid loveable Ewoks:D

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  5. Cleff

Cleff Lieutenant

^This times 100 (please note that the below text is not directly addressing you, only the part that I agree with your statement ;))

Just because we are set in the future doesn't mean that every single race or every single person will be space-faring. There would be thousands if not millions of people, per civilization, that would not have the most current technology at their disposal, even within a very technologically-advanced race. At that point it would not be cost effective nor possible for everyone to have the best. Even in the future the reality would be that socio-economic classes would still exist. It is just like today how not everyone in a civilization has the best tech, I know for sure I don't. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that if a game like Empyrion wanted to hint at futuristic realism then it would recognize the role of both the super technological races/corporations/people as well as the barebones tech that might be more prevalent in poorer systems or even within the lower classes of a civilization (and also to mention groups like scavengers, outlaws, and pirates not having access besides through illegal means). A farmer probably wouldn't need corporate class warp drives and ships made with the newest nano-fiber-steel-alloy-thingamajig.

Point is, all this discussion about wheels is not unreasonable to want for realism/lore reasons, but I do believe there is a time and place for this if it were to exist in Empyrion and this is not the time nor the place. However, I'm not trying to dissuade the discussion as I have been quite entertained as to what people really want to see in the game and that talking about it can only help drive it forward so please don't take this post as a sign of discouragement. As many have said in this thread: of course I would gladly take wheels etc. but there are much more important and much higher priority items that need to be worked on first that would progress the game further down the road rather than turn down a side street that doesn't quite go anywhere.

6. rucky

rucky Captain

YES!!!! uhm.... what film was it...??? But that EPIC final, as they were hunted Mad Max Style(!!) on that desert(?) planet and then JUMPING right into the Hangar Bay over the cliffs!!! YEAH! One of the most exciting moments of Star Trek (it's mostly too slow paced for my liking)...

Edit: NEMESIS.

Tyrax Lightning and Dietrich like this.
  7. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

I personally don't care one bit for wheels in game, don't want - don't need, just like that other thing constantly asked by some "I want to walk in moving ship or rage-quit!" (mostly because I know how hard, or impossible, they are to implement) - but I can give one really good reason for wheels in game - some planets in future with gravity set REALLY HIGH where flying CV/SV or driving HV could be extremely hard/costly/impossible... :cool:

'Real wheels' won't be in game, I'm sure, but maybe some variation based on working HV mechanics - like we could have complete universal 4x4, 6x6, 8x8 chassis we make/buy and then we build with blocks on them what we want (basicly like it is in real life and how they make all those armored combat vehicles in the world).

Something like this down on pic. you can't jump or drive very fast, but you can get over hills and some mountains. Main central body glide over terrain (using modified HV code) and this wheels could have their usable empty collider box to move up & down - turning left-right is possible by turning front & back wheels, or by stopping one side or another...
    I'm not programer but something like this sounds to me possible to make, and not to be game-breaking & comp. resources super-heavy...
    Now, will all those 'wheelers' like this type of quasi-wheeled vehicles, and will they find them acceptable - or will they immediately start bitching about how 'lame' there are ;)

[​IMG]

8. ☣.C.H.U.D.☣

☣.C.H.U.D.☣ Commander

The wheeled Vehicle Argument reminds me of when 7 days to die switch to more unlevel terrain and people couldn't just Cut across the Map anymore....Man they have Bleeding Hearts everywhere... "but i can't just drive across now" "my game is harder"

Granted the Dirtbike in this game is not right at all period

I took it to the moon and tried to Jump it over a Hill with 0 gravity and all it did was drop like a Rock.....
    We dont need wheeled vehicles i can think of way better things to waste their time on then that....Fix the Dirt Bike and it will be Fine

9. Dietrich

Dietrich Commander

I'd love wheeled vehicles in the game.

I'd also love a pulley/piston/rotor/simple machine set of blocks/tools, too. Oh, I'd also like ship shields...like, really bad. Oh, I also want the ability to have a repair bay that replaces missing blocks (from damage) based on a blueprint. Oh, oh, also, really large planets with no pole barriers, actually spherical shaped, with lush interactive fauna and aliens on some planets. I'd also like planets that are totally barren--like most are in real life; maybe some gas giants? Along those lines, more fleshed-out space travel/exploration incentives and navigational interactivity (catalog of planets, flora/fauna/resources [NMS does some things right], etc.). I'd love it if they made MP more feasible by correcting faction issues; adding a more robust set of controls over factions, groups, and items. Throw in some balancing for ship combat, HOTAS support, fluid motion within the cockpit as you fly your ship...

<panting>

I could go on as I am sure many of you could. I would love to have some monster truck rover rolling around a planet, flattening trees in my path, or a little buggy (the Argus!) that could weave in and out of terrain issues. I'd just love to see other things so much more. From the survey, in order...

Alternative energy sources (Solar and wind)
    Auto Mining (this made it in game already since the survey, hooray!)
    More solar systems (Hummel teased this could be coming this year, perhaps)
    Shields (I wait with baited breath...)
    Dynamic weather system (a version of this is in the game, and it was a big enhancement to immersion)
    Environmental hazards (this is in and was a great addition, IMO)
    Larger Planets
    AI controlled vessels (this is sorta in)
    Pressurization (while I still think this feature is buggy, they're getting there)
    Remove colliders on planets (poles, green wall)
    Character customization (they've added some of this)
    NPC faction standing gameplay
    Tech-tree rework/enhancements (this has been altered a lot since survey)

Wheels are here

Skills for players (I'd put this above wheels, but them's the breaks; Community hath spoken)
    Radar / fog of war (same as skills, I'd like this before wheels, but whatevs)
    More player faction options (I'd like to see this much much higher, as I think lack of player-faction-options hurts MP in a big way)
    Steam Achievements (I could not care less...)

Now, would this be my order? Nope. I'd arrange things pretty differently. Eleon has us all to consider, though, and hopefully, this list has helped them in ordering what they can do with what we want out of the game in what order.

If we look at what's mostly in game already and what's left on the major features list, it's not that long a way down to wheels:

Alt energy
    More space stuff
    Shields
    Larger planets, remove colliders
    NPC faction gameplay
    Wheels

...and heck, they've picked off some features out of order, so who knows? Some things are easier to implement than others...

Mortlath and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  10. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Some things are easier to implement than others; proper wheels just aren't one of them. Eleon hasn't even gotten around to correcting the moment of inertia calculation for ships or implementing a basic suspension system for HVs, or putting the player in a reference frame that lets them move about on non-stationary ships; and that's not to mention the physics work that will need to be done for spherical planets and water. Wheels are very far down on the list of features requiring a lot of physics coding, and, with all due respect to Eleon, they aren't physicists. I'll bring up again the fact that the KSP devs have been working on wheels for years, and players still manage to create Kraken-drives with them.

Wheeled vehicles don't fundamentally change Empyrion's basic gameplay; at best, they're a cute (and probably slower-moving) alternative to hovercraft.

11. ☣.C.H.U.D.☣

☣.C.H.U.D.☣ Commander

You basically repeating everything everybody has siad a million times on here and on top of that it's like beating a dead horse..

Example:A survey for CV to CV docking?
    Seriously there is way better way to handle this.
    -HV to SV docking
    -Make Space Bases Warpable (dont think thats a word)

Everything else i can agree with
    Wheels eh...Bike is fine just needs a little GTA tweaking and it will be awesome.

12. ☣.C.H.U.D.☣

☣.C.H.U.D.☣ Commander

Yeah everything they siad is spot on...Space engineers is a Mess because of Pistons/Wheels/etc
    Even movable landing gear is going to Eat Computer resources up fast

13. Dietrich

Dietrich Commander

Yeah, I get it, but the post right after my first one, the dude listed his number 1 want as wheeled vehicles. I felt I needed one more bit of clarification. I'm done now.

14. Tyrax Lightning

Ya mean Raptor & Cart, or Lizard Mule & Cart... right? :p

Yes, bingo! :D

What the buggers is a "Kraken-drive"? :confused:

rucky likes this.
  15. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Right, some context is needed. In KSP, especially in the early days, there was a considerable amount of spontaneous unplanned rapid disassembly (spontaneous explosions, as opposed to the routine usually-self-inflicted kind) of spacecraft due to the way the physics engine handled colliding/overlapping parts. Players began to refer to this as the work of the Kraken, a mythical spacefaring beast that was never seen but would not fail to make an appearance whenever a player tried to do something cool or complicated with a spaceship (usually resulting in the spectacular destruction of said spaceship); it's basically the personification of errors in the physics calculations. Anyway, over the years, a number of different ways of exploiting these errors to indefinitely provide thrust to spacecraft were found, collectively grouped under the heading of "Kraken-drives." Wheels, in particular, were frequently exploited for this purpose due to their complicated collision and suspension physics.

16. jmcburn

jmcburn Captain

The Argo :)

/jmc

17. Tyrax Lightning

In that case, I really dig KSP's humor! :D

geostar1024 likes this.
  18. old_guy

old_guy Lieutenant

This concept is already in the game -- the villagers on Akua live very simply -- now a few more variations and of course more interactions and fleshing out the NPCs- wagon trains, steampunk planets/civilizations, sailing ships, submarines...oh my the complexity is scaling way past manageability here.

19. GTv

GTv Captain

The Prime Directive forbids you to land on those planets and share technologies that they do not yet posses.

20. GTv

GTv Captain

Hmmm. I wouldn't worry about a post discouraging discussion. I bet you could flatly tell everyone to log off the site and never log back in and discuss anything here ever again and it would have absolutely zero effect on the conversations here.