Alpha 6.7: Patch and "Road to Alpha 7 - Part II"

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Sep 8, 2017.

1. SilvRav

SilvRav Captain

Im still hoping for hv to sv to cv docking

2. Hicks42

Hicks42 Lieutenant

I think a middle class of craft, a Drop Ship class; 1m blocks, weapons more hv style than sv, no warp drive but efficient High power thrusters and docking to cv's, would be phenomenal... then exclude CV's from entering the atmosphere. would be kinda divine to me. But I am biased, I haven't slept well in this game yet.

MadRussian, Maverick241, eLLe and 2 others like this.
  3. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Nope. Simply put. We do not need a 'middle class' of ship.

4. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

During Alpha, having to Wipe & start over from time to time is completely normal. If this cannot be handled, ya will have to wait for a farther point in the Game Dev Cycle to play.

Agreed. I see no reason why SVs couldn't perform the 'Dropship' function.

5. rucky

rucky Captain

okay,
    still, SV <-> HV Docking would be very handy (not to say necessary)
    and yes, I mean both ways!

(Dropship like SVs that drop Mining-HVs or Base-Assault-HVs to target locations -- Big Mammoth-HVs with ontop attached Mini-SV for fast Scouting Operations around enemy bases)...
    (but we need proper mass/dimensions/weight management too (that is mass/dimensions need to be added to transporter vessel for anything thrust/manoeverability calculations)

6. medicineman

medicineman Captain

>Cubic block-selection: copy, paste, cut and delete an area in all three dimension! We even plan to have a temporary repository for your copied areas, so you can easily paste them over and over to your structures and vessels without having to copy them each time again!

This sounds awesome! This is what I've been wanting for awhile. I also love that we are getting new planets. Although I personally won't set foot on a single one of them until the artificial barriers are removed at the poles and prime meridian lines. I hate that stuff so much and it is the worst part of the game right now. Even worse than the long term bugs.

Also. I've been thinking about how they are adding higher mountains. Does anybody else see the problem with that?

See the only ground vehicle we get is that stupid hovercraft which is rendered useless or at best totally illogical when dealing with high slopes and broken terrain. Essentially I think that this change they are making will put another nail in the HV's coffin. Using the O key to reflip myself back over is getting really old. It's almost like that button is an admission of defeat by Eleon that the HV will never be a stable and realistic vehicle.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I wasn't discounting that. Its a darn near given that SV should be able to pick up HV at the very least!

8. XRsyst

XRsyst Ensign

Antialiasing?

9. Tyrax Lightning

Fixed. :p

I feel sorry for your HVs. My Tyrax Hover War Tank can drive at full speed, then drive up steep mountainsides, then use it as a Ramp Jump into the air & do Aileron Rolls in midair then land on the ground just fine. :p

ion_storm, rucky and Dietrich like this.
  10. Dietrich

Dietrich Commander

Love this update and roadmap announcement. I, for one, would be frustrated if Eleon spent any time on some new class of ship--that makes little sense. Just make HV's able to dock to SV's--problem solved, right? Also, wheels?! Can someone please explain why anyone wants wheels or tracks? Since we have hovering vessels, why would we need wheels? They seem an incredibly inferior travel method when compared to hovering or flying. I already spend little time with HVs as I find them fairly useless still (fast mining is a good use-case); I couldn't imagine having a use for a wheeled or track-based vehicle. Please do not spend resources on this--please.

@medicineman
    RE: High Mountains and Vehicles

Are you among those suggesting that somehow a wheeled or track-based vehicle would be better? Like, somehow the wheels or tracks would be more adept at climbing a 90 degree wall? I'm confused how the steep cliffs correlate to making the HV less (or more) useful. Seems that steep mountains would affect nothing. Were you thinking that HVs would be able to make it up sheer cliffs?

It's funny. We as a community talk out of both sides of our mouth here. We want realism, but we carry stacks of 999 ore in our backpacks. We want track or wheel vehicles that don't have the same problems as HVs, yet, in reality, wheels or tracks would present far more terrain navigation issues on an alien world than a hover vessel.

11. Dietrich

Dietrich Commander

I was going to echo this. Ever since they changed HVs to the multi hover engine model (and balanced it correctly), HVs have been incredibly more stable and useful. I still graduate from them pretty quickly though. IMO, auto-miners + SV is far better for mining than an HV with mining drills, but early game, HV mining drills sure are a fast way to mine without getting XP.

I never flip my HVs unless I'm doing weird mining stuff under ground.

rainyday and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  12. Tyrax Lightning

I still dream of squishing stuff like Plant Monsters, Otyughs, & such underneath ginormous Wheels & Treads for funsies. :p

With that said i'd consider it a low priority Implementation, & would not be heartbroken if it never came to be.

☣.C.H.U.D.☣ and rucky like this.
  13. medicineman

medicineman Captain

There are conventional vehicles designed to drive up mountains on earth right now. All of them have wheels or treads. As for a 90 degree wall nothing can climb that. Not even this game's cheesy HV. It's not the sheer cliffs that are the problem. Those you ignore and try to find another way around. The problem is the moment when the invisible voxel bits start to rock your HV back and forth until it flips while trying to drive it up a steep and bumpy incline.

A properly designed wheeled vehicle would be closer to the invisible voxel bullcrap and with less momentum it would generate less rock back and forth and thus less flipping.

In short. I would much rather go slowly up the mountain than to drive quickly up it bouncing back and forth and flipping over every 5 feet.

>I feel sorry for your HVs. My Tyrax Hover War Tank can drive at full speed, then drive up steep mountainsides, then use it as a Ramp Jump into the air & do Aileron Rolls in midair then land on the ground just fine. :p

Right. A very heavy HV can be useful and it can drive better. But I don't ever build heavy HV's because they are useless in SP. The only reason to build an HV at all in SP is because you need a low level vehicle to get away with. Especially if you have max survival difficulty as the monsters get really rough on low level people. But why waste resources to build some kind of war tank when all I really need and can afford in the beginning is more of a light hover truck. All the rest of my resources are going into my base or saving up for an SV.

I have never found a single reason to build a large powerful HV in this game. No once. Even when I tried using the arty cannon to take out fortress. All I needed was the one arty cannon and a small chassis.

Sofianinho, Tyrax Lightning and rucky like this.
  14. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I really hope the reason there is not a Rotor or Piston system in Empyrion is not because of Space Engineers. Because that is a very bad example. Keen uses this custom made crappy engine and attempts to go too far in making the game realistic which causes most of their bugs.
    Empryion should look at games like Star Made who have moving block systems and do it with ease with a way more simplistic engine. Also Star Made uses the same logic gate system that Empyrion uses.
    I kind of wish Hummel would talk to the devs and address the moving blocks system question for once and for all.
    Will it happen or will it not? I am willingly to deal with whatever bugs come with it while we're in alpha because it is worth it in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  15. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Captain

I love wheels. If Eleon is just a tiny bit sensible to balance issues, wheeled vehicles will have their own advantages and disadvantages, just like any other vessels in the game. As mentioned in the previous post by medecineman, wheels are in contact with the ground, so apart from the suspension effect the vehicle should behave in a predictable manner as long as players look where they are driving. I also believe wheeled vehicles could carry much heavier loads than HVs for obvious reasons (requiring less energy for equivalent work), and as such they could be made into proper "tanks" or workhorses early in game. They could also allow for a slower but satisfying progression where players don't rush leveling up in the tech tree just to get a SV and escape the starter planet. If forests and playfields do get a lot bigger, wheeled vehicles might be the best choice to navigate through trees and bushes, still leaving more hostile terrains for the HV. This also depends on the design of playfields and planets: if all POIs are resting on solid ground, there is no real need for vehicle specialization other than the actual "forced" specialization making the HV a anti-POI tank for lazy strafers. If some big base is surrounded by dangerous swamps, then a HV is the tool for the task. If a camp is buried in a thick and dense forest, it's a job for the wheeled vehicle. In any way, like Tyrax wrote, it would be fun to squish baddies under big threaded wheels, and to have the baddies stick to the wheels for a few turns before being ejected...

16. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Plus not to mention Wheels are on the Survey which is kind of the Devs To do list. lol From what I understand everything on that survey will get into the game at some point. I want all the features and options the Devs are willingly to throw at this game. Having options are what keep games like this going for a long time. So Wheels, no wheels, Cv, SVs , HVs I would not mind even seeing a underwater vehicle in this game. These type of games for me personally are all about freedom to play how you want.

17. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

NEW terrain sounds awesome!!!! So looking at the pictures I'm guessing Akua, Ningues are on the work list.

18. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Well technically if we wanted Realism then Hover vessels and Capital space ships would not exist period . lol I think in a game like this you can take a little creative freedom.
    I think having wheels in the game would be cool but it won't change much. Just a different option. Plus it is on the Survey list and some people did vote for them. So I'm guessing the will come to the game at some point.

19. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Not really. Unless the devs have changed their minds. Wheels are on the list just go back and look at the list of features on the survey we took in 2016

Tyrax Lightning and Kassonnade like this.
  20. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Captain

Halo had a nice variety of vehicles, with wheels and tracks, and small hover crafts too (the ghost? banshee?). In this game (at least the first) each vehicle had a particular feel with its own personality, and I always felt it was hard to choose one over the other for extended periods of time. In some situations I would prefer wheels, in others the Scorpion with its powerful cannon, etc. If trees in Empyrion could get high and big like the sequoia forests in the US or like the amazon jungle, the forests could become very rich and interesting places worth exploring at a slower pace. Some games use huge trees in conjunction with scattered smaller trees and bushes around them to simulate the deep jungle canopy high above. Actual forests seem a bit on the smallish scale in Empyrion, and still they put some strain on systems. They could be made larger / higher with a few tricks and they could become genuine obstacles that require some time to explore, thus giving wheeled vehicles at least one specific advantage. I think Empyrion lacks a bit of interest in the vertical dimension ; everything is low profile, players almost never need to look up unless they are attacked by drones or vessels. Having the environment scaled up a bit on the Y axis could help in this way, especially in forests.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    Sofianinho, rucky, MadRussian and 3 others like this.