Alpha 6.7: Signal Logic Update, Hull Textures and "Road to Alpha 7"

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 24, 2017.

1. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

If you can blueprint the station, then you could potentially use the blueprint tool linked in my signature to replace the texture. It requires some knowledge of Python, and currently removes all groups and signal logic from the blueprint, but it seems like it could save you time if the textures are your primary concern.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  2. Atisal

Atisal Ensign

Hy. thats not posible. Bug in the Blueprintsystem.
    The easiest way is, to set the textrures back before the patch and add the old textures as optional textures in the texture tool... ;)
    for the Devs only some minutes...

3. Exacute

Exacute Captain

True. However the point of the new texture is to keep it as the new default.
    Having the old one be default kinda counters this ;)
    I suppose they could go out of their way, to 'write' the old texture, to old models, but I wouldn't exactly call that time well-spent.
    However re-replacing the default seems contra-productive.

Tyrax Lightning and Kieve like this.
  4. DarthMolen

DarthMolen Ensign

Love Empyrion. I hype it to all of my friends. The constant feedback from them isn't about terrain or planets, but it's what to do on the planets. The impetus for them is missing. The AI seems too hokey for them. There's not enough variation in missions to do / reasons to build a base in the first place. So we are going to be able to build all these lovely beautiful planets, but where on the roadmap will they be filled?

5. LinearBurn

LinearBurn Lieutenant

If i wanted to purchas a copy of the terain editor you use could i import said assets?

6. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Captain

If you mean the third party terrain generator that Eleon use you would still have to have a means of importing your terrain into EGS. At present there isn't any that I know of. Even Unity can't modify game data in a finished game.

7. joemorin73

joemorin73 Captain

Is it reasonable to assume that handmade worlds might not be available for multiplayer without manual intervention for 7.0? (With the understanding that this will be addressed later.)

8. LinearBurn

LinearBurn Lieutenant

I think it will probably store the planet map next to the yaml in the same folder and the client will cache it on first load then both the server and client will have a local copy

9. michaelhartman89

Heres the ideas; been brainstorming for months!
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/suggestions-for-next-update.8421/

10. Random

Random Lieutenant

Thank you very much for the answer :D
    Just a follow up question if it's ok :) . Because I don't understand one thing: let's assume you have a folder where all planets' heightmaps are handmade and one where all are made procedural: why would one effect loading the game and landing on a planet and one would not? They are all already on your HDD. I meant to only create the maps when starting a "new game" and reusing them in every savegame not creating them when loading a game or approaching a planet.
    Is it just the postprocessing? And if yes can't this be implemented effectively in procedural heightmap creation?

Sorry but I have to ask. I love this game and the answer was really interesting :)

P.s.: I also did a crappy job when I mentioned chunks. It was meant to be what you said: "look up" the numbers instead of computing the whole terrain info. Which wouldn't be possible with minecraft... or at least very complicated. I mean chunks are used in every game with big environments, not only voxel based, I know this. I just meant creating them by algorythm on the fly.

11. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I am honored and humbled that you include me in that group, as I am not sure if I have any business there. I am not anywhere near as good as they are. :)

I will say I love your points. It would be great fun to have some simulation aspects to this game in addition to the others, but those are a ways away. :oops::( <- me being sad.

One deviation or at least a thought; not sure I could get behind roads. For the same reason I still lobby against the inclusion of wheels; when we have futuristic hover engines, why do we need roads? I suppose for organization, but the brilliance of the road as an invention is largely one of ease-of-passage and defensability. Walk ways and larger thoroughfares in cities make sense because we are still bi-peds and need the help :p, but roads across the terrain would be a little out of place. :)

Hope this does not get you down, but maybe I could excite your imagination; what if, in this futuristic world that seems to be coalescing, we had sky markers(for lanes) in addition to floating cities!!!! Kabam! *Mike's brain blown.*

This is coming. This is something I have also tried to champion at various points. Know that most of the stuff in the game(like the dinosaurs *shudders*) are placeholders. Some will remain or get modified, but the content needs expansion, nuance, and progression. Still, ya gotta have a world to stand on first! :cool:

12. michaelhartman89

General ground textures with a road texture included or several are in my end goal. Every sci fi series has them on every planet, it isn't really ever going to be outdated. You have maglev vehicles in the new total recall(blah didn't like it),
    Roads in fifth element, star wars, blade runner, star trek, demolition man, mass effect, Halo, and Star Citizen will have them.

I understand your point, but I still think they will be utilized in the future redgardless.

I just like it from an organization perspective, i may not make roads, but I could sure use walkways like you said

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
    Tyrax Lightning and Fractalite like this.
  13. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

Thank you for your considerate disagreement.

One thing that I think could definitely be introduced would be monorail industry/supply trains. That is waaaaaaaay down the road but it would be sweet. If we have freighters and PV's...

So far the 7.0 changes are looking quite interesting!

14. michaelhartman89

Absolutely agree with that! Trams are somewhere on my must have list along with caves and biotic/bionic attachments, but thats way further in the future.

Just something to have our character at super soldier status if we strive for it

15. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

For procedural Terrain there is no premade map on your HDD, no heightmap or texturemap, just a xml or dll that has the instructions on how to build up the Terrain when you enter a planet and any chunk. And there is nothing saved to something like a map when Terrain is created.

For handmade Terrain there is a heightmap which basically IS the map. That's why this Terrain also will not change.

That's the basic difference. ;)

16. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

They will be available as the procedural planets are. Everything that comes with the default installation will be usable in SP and MP.

It is a different challenge to have custom -player made worlds in MP as we currently have not yet found a good way on how to sync the masses of data if you enter a server with planets you do not have on your disk. But we are on it ;)

17. Exacute

Exacute Captain

Woo!

I might be naive. But wouldn't the solution then be to actually save it once generated? (to match the approach of the other two types)

dtmullican and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  18. Quarior

Quarior Ensign

Question : Handmap can be use on scenarios and we can use png/jpg file for heightmap/bump map (grayscale) and texture/diffuse map ?
    Also in playfield, we can edit the minimum and maximum height ?
    I think your explain more detail when is ready.
    I hope in Alpha 10 : All types of celestial bodies (planets, stars,...) :).

19. Random

Random Lieutenant

Sorry, but still not what I meant... I know that, I'm not stupid :D
    Last try, I promise ;)
    My point is that a terrain algorythm usually takes an x and y coordinate and returns a height value. Same coordinates always are returning the same value so you can simply save them once into a file and reuse it as often as you want:

#define MAPHEIGHT 9999 //Height in pixels of the heightmap (9999 is just a placeholder, don't know how big the maps are)
    #define MAPHEIGHT 9999 //Width in pixels of the heightmap

bool OnNewGame( int seed ){

//Create Heightmap for omicron as an example, of course the other planets would have to be created too

ofstream heightMap;
    heightMap.open ("heightmap_omicron.raw", ios::eek:ut | ios::app | ios::binary); //Create a new heightmap-file for omicron
    //I didn't include the file header to simplify things
    for( int y_coord = 0 ; y < MAPHEIGHT ; y++ ){
    for( int x_coord = 0 ; x < MAPWIDTH ; x++){
    heightMap << TerrainAlg( x_coord + seed , y_coord + seed ); //terrain algorythm that returns height values
    //I don't know how you are using the seed internally but let's assume it works this way
    }
    }
    heightMap.close();

//Here comes whatever else has to be done when starting a new game, can also come before the map creation

return true;
    }

Now you've got a heightmap you could use as often as you want. It's still made by the same algorythm but the actual game doesn't have to recalculate it over and over again just to get the same result over and over again. (definition of Madness :D )
    Using the Algorythm on the fly procedurally generating while playing or using a heightmap previously created this way would be indistinguishable visually but should make a difference in performance. That was my point.
    From now on you can use them just like handmade heightmaps.

Since I'm not good with words I try code... in which I'm also mediocre but I hope it's enough to show exactly what I mean :D

20. rucky

rucky Captain

I haven't read all posts about the new terrain generation, but an idea I had this moment I want to ask you:

When "handmade" terrain, that is pre-generated terrain, saved into some (heightmap and other) files is much faster than our current procedurally "on-the-fly" generated terrain,

Will / can there be a tool / program option which can make these "handmade" terrains (that is generate the appropriate files) for all planets/moons/... in our Galaxy (content of system.yaml) based on a given (per new Game per input field from the player) Seed number?
    Even if this means it had to be computed over a hour?
    If that would speed up the later game, I would do it all day for a new Game Save!!