SCENARIO - Feedback: : TUTORIAL

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkdeath75

blkdeath75 Ensign

Every game was started fresh from main menu "start tutorial" button. Last one was started from the scenario selection as a new game also.

Was able to play through to escape from Space Station on last try.

2. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Would it be possible the tutorial gives the corresponded key wich the player has re-mapped in his controls list ?
    Might cause confusion to wich action the tutorial is reffering to.

Captain Jack II likes this.
  3. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

Ok, one thing I don't like about the tutorial, and maybe it's a problem with the current scripting engine- is that you can do things out of order and then have to manually advance it. Now, I'm an experienced player, but this might be game breaking for a new player.

What would really help, is if through scripting you could lock/unlock containers and doors.

For example, during the tutorial it said to get some armor. I walked into the room, saw a closet in front of me, opened it and grabbed some weapons. Then I went to the locker to get the armor. Afterwards it said to go to the closet and get what's in there. Well, I broke it and had to advance manually through the PDA.

Another great feature you could add is glowing/highlighting of the object you are supposed to be looking for.

I think both those things will really help the tutorial become a lot more friendly and intuitive.

4. SoulRinger

SoulRinger Ensign

ok! got many run through! here what I found:
    1. The resource given to build SV is not enough (Iron), I retry the tutorial twice to make sure, but it is still not enough. I had to use itemmenu to cheat item in. And in tutorial, there is no prompt or any indicate that player should click "start production". just tell them to quit the menu when done putting stuff in.
    2. When placing SV, the tutorial do not update whatsoever. Do spawn twice by cheat item in, still no update until manually update.
    3. When given Rocket Launcher(T2), yet given Rocket Launcher T1 ammo...-.-
    4. At the start, Teleport station to the moon sometime do not active. Not looking at station when long message appear, do work however. But when looking at station, sometime it work, sometime it stuck in offline mode.
    5. When Alien invade the ship, message said the teleport station is broken, but you can still use it however.
    6. Near the end, the message telling you to place the explosive become so small, it hard to even read, and it do not tell which hanger door to place it on. I waste all of it on one door... the door that is unbreakable...-.-
    6.1 I believe the tutorial do not need the "empty container" when you are in hanger bays, as the tutorial mention always looting monster. Mostly until that point, your inventory is so full, so you might want to dump some item into some container there.

Bugs? Suggestion
    7. CV can not spawn in space, still need base.
    8. The control Rotate Left, Right, Up, Down. do not need, maybe? since using mouse will rotate in that direction. I suggest adding a "do not show this message again" when you left the controls blanks, as it keep inform every time you change setting.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. blkdeath75

blkdeath75 Ensign

I thought this as well so I remapped and restarted with F for use and still had an issue.

If you mean the ability to move the ship around like "home/end" and "page up/down" I just figured out this did this today and I think its a great tool for spawning ships. Such a pain it was only using the mouse before.

6. PuddinJones

PuddinJones Ensign

As i decided to play the updated tutorial, first thing i noticed was that there is not explanation in the very beginning on how to go up or down in the elevator. Might irritate some people if they don't have instructions on (basic) controls.

7. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    That's on my wish-list, but not possible at the moment

8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Hm..not sure what is going wrong, but all tasks are laid out that you can do any action in any order to complete a task. If this does not work, maybe there is a marker not "resolved" (those yellow boxes).

If this is not the case, please give me the exact task that can be broken WHILE following the orders that are given in the messages.

For locking down: absolutely necessary. But not available until the next major update.

9. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    @1: Did you use the correct Prefab? The materials should be enough if you loot both containers in the Hangar A..
    @2: This indicates you might have used the wrong bp ^^
    @3: whops..thx!
    @4: Yes, i am not sure what triggers this. Sometimes it just happens. I did not find a way to reproduce it in a reliable way....
    @5: hm..the station should shut down. Will have a look
    @6: None of the doors is indestructible. 3 charges should blast both doors.
    @6.1: I am using some additional actions as i only can "manage" the text with these triggers. That quite difficult at times.

10. rahnauld

rahnauld Ensign

Although this wasn't following the instructions to the letter, the tutorial is relatively easy to break at the hovercraft. I grabbed the fuel from the locker and put it in the hovercraft, then did the mining. When the task advanced, get fuel from the locker could not be checked off, even though the hovercraft was already fueled up. So I tried taking 30 fuel out, but instead of biofuel it was a powerpack, and that couldn't trigger the box. My suggestion is to either lock the locker until the task to open it is up, or to simply remove the getting the fuel out of the locker as a requirement (as you need to get the fuel from somewhere in order to put fuel into the hovercraft).

11. dessicant

dessicant Ensign

PDA log totally busted for me. Stopped updating shortly into the tutorial, and what was there logged out of order, hard to follow. Made it as far as the aliens appearing in the station - blocked at the step to get heavy armor from the Tech Corner. Door's behind a passcode, but no code was provided in that stage of the tutorial. If it was provided earlier, I couldn't look it up because of the aforementioned PDA log bugs.

12. Pantera

Pantera Administrator Staff Member

• Developer
    Maybe you could post some screenshots here to show what you are seeing in the log ?

13. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Awesome , thx! / added

14. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Added in the closing message of the 1st chapter (coming in the next version) :)

15. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Yep, but i currently can not lock down the HV (i could set it to a different core, but then you cannot pilot it).

16. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    The code is given in the popup when you reach level 1 again. This is an OK-click popup, you just might have not read it completely..or clicked away. If this is NOT there, please make a screenshot if you run the tutorial again. Thx!

17. Malekh

Malekh Captain

Just completed the new tutorial, my feedback: I actually enjoyed it, it seemed to cover most of the basics for gameplay. Could go further of course, but what was presented seemed pretty decent.

Potential problems:
    1 - when you have to give people the cake you made, it's in a stack of 2. I didn't see any instructions on how to split stacks. Maybe i missed it.
    2 - problems walking up stairs in heavy armour, need a lot of jumping or jetpack to get up some of them
    3 - isn't the cake supposed to be temporary? May not be a good thing to have in a tutorial that will be ongoing
    4 - the final 'fight', is it scripted that the guns explode when you try to go back into the hangar? With the amount and level of mobs in there, it could be a problem for newbs who just rush right in. I had the epic mini-gun equipped and had an idea of what i was facing, but this could potentially be a game-over situation for a newb. Not necessarily a bad thing, in that it could prepare them for what's to come, but as a friendly exercise might be a bit much.

Overall i liked it, although for the pentaxid gathering it should have been: gather 1. gather 2. gather 300. ;)

18. 68plex

68plex Captain

I took the tutorial for a whirl and progressed smoothly (for the most part) through to the end. Good work.

2 Suggestions:

1) It would be better if events (explosions, alien entrances, etc...) occur AFTER the player presses 'OK' on the previous tutorial window to close it, as it's a little jarring to be reading and trying to grasp what the tutorial wants you to know in the middle of all that commotion. It's like two pieces of info being foisted at you at the same moment.

2) In the promethium mining section, it would be beneficial for a new player to see a note or tip that they can use the drone when mining, and also a tip about the functionality of bringing up the inventory and closing it again while in the drone to activate the radar while in drone mode. Actually, there was nothing in the tutorial about using the drone, now that I think about it. Might be something to add later.

Malekh likes this.
  19. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    @1: good point. Need to think of a way to sneak this in..
    @2: yes, but that’s kind of a result of the heavy stuff. Will add it for a review.
    @3: no problem at this point ;-)
    @4: hm..if you follow the instructions the destruction will not be triggered too early. You need to wait, though. ;-)

20. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    yep, good point. But I did not find a good spot to add this yet. The drone is a convenience but I already had to cramp in a lot of info in this chapter...and I’d anbot make sure the player is in reach of a crystal to reach with the drone.

68plex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.