SCENARIO - Feedback: : TUTORIAL

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malekh

Malekh Captain

@4: i waited a bit to let the cannons do their work, but they seemed to be firing pretty slowly imo. Maybe because they were tracking multiple mobs? Idk. Eventually i got bored and went down to the docking bay where the guns exploded. There were a fair few aliens still left alive (1 overseer at least, plus at least 4 other mobs). Like i said i was prepared and expecting trouble, but i still took a fair bit of damage clearing them out (most of them were parked at the elevator doors and hitting inside it). Anyways, just my perspective. :)

2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Of course. But i tend to keep it like this for "user choice". So if you want to fight, do it. If you do not feel prepared, leave it. ;-)

Maybe i need to swap the turrets with Miniguns. (i chose the Flak because of effect and sound tbh :D )

3. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Tried the tutorial twice, both times stuck at the teleporter for going to the moon, wich is not active ...
    Might have something to do with the seed ? I did chose a random seed beforehand as i was planning to start a scenario, but then came across the tutorial option and decided to give it a go. I might suggest that, once you get the tutorial tweaked & ready, to have the tutorial as first prompted once you select "new game". New players might not cycle through the selections and miss the tutorial option all together.
    Made a screenshot :
    Naamloos.png

4. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

classic.
    you had "gm" active, even if disabled via 'g' or even in an prior save without restarting Empyrion

@Hummel-o-War I want a copyright on that "Bug". I was the very first that encountered and marked it, and now it's coming still so often, I'll be rich in no time.... :D;)
    (only question is... rich... on what?! o_O)
    :D:p

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  5. lordmaneth

lordmaneth Ensign

6. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

The blue circles of the ore scanner are almost impossible to see in direct sunlight. I have to dig down and create shade in order to actually see them. I think the ore scanner should be a function of the scope on the drill (it has a non-functional scope now, you know). That way, more contrast could be achieved.

Also, the new humans all look like lawyers on coffee-break. I mean TIES?!? Maybe we can get some lab coats. jumpsuits and such as might befit 25th century Techno-Chic.

ion_storm, rucky and Neal like this.
  7. Cleff

Cleff Captain

Get ready for it; I have more grammar/spelling changes for your updated 7.2.1 build 1340 Tutorial!
    And by the way, I really enjoyed the entire tutorial and I think it has good pacing, information, atmosphere, and interest to really help new players start Empyrion the right way. Good job!

All chapters are listed below, and as a reminder:
    1. I only retyped sections with errors
    2. Quotations " " mean a word/grammar was fixed and Brackets [ ] mean a word was inserted (also < > means my own comment)
    3. Grammar is sometimes my subjective opinion and you can choose to change it or not
    4. I've colored the changed portions to make it easier for you to see this time around ;)

While the "crew is" training for the Andromeda Expedition, Apollon Station is one of the secret "facilities where alien" tech is researched and tested. <un-pluralized "crew", removed "the">

[As] one of the security "chiefs, you will be leaving" soon with the "expeditionary" forces. <restructured to make clear YOU are the chief, was unclear first time playing what role I was>

But before "you" can check in to the [capital ship] Titan, "you" have some final tasks to do... <replaced "he" with "you" to make it more personal, added capital ship to make clear the Titan is of significance>

left mouse click from [the] list of available meals <add "the" into the sentence>

ready for use. "I" heard of someone starving to death while working on a vessel. <added "I", I forgot to include it last time>

Don't forget to check your food bar once "in" a while! <replaced "and" with "in">

Do not forget to pick up your bike by pointing at it and "pressing" SHIFT + F! <changed "press" to "pressing" to keep the same tense as "pointing">

"While having the camera undocked," use the Arrow keys to move and turn the vessel. <restructured the first part of the sentence to sound more natural>

Move the Nutrient Solution to your inventory - then "let's" go to the Constructors. <missed an apostrophe>

We need to create at least 3x Growing Plot (Concrete), 3x Window Block L from the "BUILDING BLOCKS tab," <looks great but you left a [/] between "BLOCKS" and "tab">

If you want to remove the currently "processing" item, <changed "processed" to the correct tense "processing">

You can always ADD and REMOVE templates "to and from" the other slots <switched "to" and "from" to coincide with the stated order of "ADD" and "REMOVE", but either is correct>

harvest the WHEAT by pointing at the plant and "using" (F) <changed "use" into the tense "using">

Seems the alien sprouts "survived for centuries without damage" frozen "inside" the Alien vessel. <sorry I re-did this one, added "for", changed "in" to "inside", and moved "without damage" back a little>

The Chief Scientist of Apollon was just calling. He "said they do" not need any <removed the comma>

That's very nice "of" you, considering <replaced "from" with "of">

"I" better put ONE <replaced "I'll" with "I">

Now, off to the final "to-dos" for today <added hyphen>

"I better" hurry down to Level B Med Bay and shower it off "ASAP" before the radiation kills me. <capitalize "I", switched "I" and "better", all caps for ASAP since it is an acronym>

Check "your" Body Radiation: top right number, next to the radiation symbol "at" the top right [of the] screen. <replaced "the" with "your", and "on" with "at", added "of the" since it sounded like I had more than one screen>

You may want to familiarize [yourself] with their functions for a second. <added "yourself">

Just point at them and, as always, "I'll" show you <capitalize "I'll">

Hey Chief. "While" you are down there <replaced "When" with "While">

with the appropriate instructions to handle this in a "scientific" way. <replaced "scientifical" with "scientific">

Maybe the tech "guys left" me a few "medical supplies." <removed "have", changed "medics" to "medical supplies.">
    "I" better take them all. <changed from "I'll" to "I">
    "You" never know. <changed from "You'll" to "You">

I am registering energy "anomalies" in the whole station. <misspelled "anomalies">

I am registering an unknown material pattern in the container on the "gallery" <misspelled "gallery", or you can replace it with walkway or balcony (I don't hear gallery too often but it's still correct)>

I am registering increased energy fluctuations in this tank over "here" <replaced "there" with "here" to match with "this" better>

Deactivate your jetpack as soon as the gravity is restored. "The symbol with three lines" will light up in the lower left screen [when gravity is present]. <added to the beginning and end of the sentence to clarify more about which indicator is for gravity - it's confusing for new players if they do not know what each symbol represents>

*<Title of chapter (in PDA) needs spelling correction "Anomalies">

Use medicals to heal open "wounds" and other injuries "when" you have the time to! <pluralize "wounds", replaced "while" with "when">

Make sure your "weapon" is always fully loaded. <took away the plural to make sense with "is", or you can say "weapons are">

Do not forget to check your FOOD-bar once "in" a while! <replace "and" with "in">

"Door code" for "Tech Corner" is 2222. <added spaces>

Have a look "at" how the BOOSTERS change the ARMOR STATS on the right "screen" <replaced "on" with "at", misspelled "screen">

but also put the Sniper "on" my toolbar as well. <replaced "to" with "on">

The station AI is reporting more hull breaches and enemy "activity" <replaced "spawns" with "activity" for immersive purposes, but either is fine>

Suggestion: Shoot at the damaged glass to "break" it and use the "elevated" position <misspelled "break" and replaced "leveled" with "elevated">

When you [have] cleared the Hangar <added "have", or you can use "you've" instead>

Note: The suit you are "wearing will" make you walk SLOWER "depending" on the type and the "boosters" you [have] equipped. <removed a comma, misspelled "depending", pluralized "boosters", added "have">

"The weapon" in your hands will slow "you down" as well. <swapped placement of "you" and "down">

Holstering weapons (0) when not "in use" will make <replaced "used" with "in use">

"Hangar doors" are locked <added space>

"First I" need to deal with these creatures. <swapped placement of "First" and "I">

Good news: the "station's" virtual blueprint factory is still working! <made "station" possessive>

Check the container next to the passageway doors and grab any "materials" you can get [a] hold of. <pluralized "materials" and added "a">

.."I" wonder if I am <capitalize "I">

As soon as the Hangar is cleared again, "let's" see if we can manually blast [open] the hangar door on the right side of the "bay" <apostrophe in "let's", added "blast open", replaced "area" with "bay">

I "better not" break the security glass <removed "do">

"Access code" is 9907 <added space>

That's it. I probably won't update any more than this until you add another section of tutorial during 8.0 as stated.

The progress went quite smoothly and the only hiccups I encountered were having difficulty climbing 2 different stairs (the ones going to Hangar A and the ones going to Hangar Control). Also, since the station is in space, the player can just activate their Jetpack and avoid all the monsters in the Hangar by floating around (easy-mode).

Again, great work on the tutorial, it was pretty solid in my eyes.:)

8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Appreciate the changes in the initial briefing!

I've also changed the intro to better match the story excerpt we already have

"July 25, 2473 - While crews all over the solar system are being trained and ships are being prepared for the 'Operation Phoenix', Apollon Station is one of the secret facilities where the highly classified alien tech, retrieved from the ancient wreckage, is researched and tested for being employed in the Andromeda expedition.\n\nYou, security chief of Apollon Station, were appointed as a commander on the MS Titan as of yesterday. Your present crew was chosens to be a part of the endeavour as well.\n\nBut before you can check in on the capital vessel, there are some final tasks to do..."

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    rucky likes this.
  9. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    2nd > Awesome, thanks a lot for all the corrections! :)

10. Cleff

Cleff Captain

"July 25, 2473 - While crews all over the solar system are being trained and ships are being prepared for 'Operation Phoenix', Apollon Station is one of the secret facilities where highly classified alien tech, retrieved from the ancient wreckage, is researched and tested for use on the Andromeda Expedition. As security chief of Apollon Station, you were appointed as a commander on the MS Titan as of yesterday. Your present crew was chosen to be a part of the endeavor as well. But before you can check in on the capital vessel , there are some final tasks to do..."

Not trying to be overly critical, but those are some small corrections I noticed. Oh and I removed the \n\ things at the beginning of some sentences, I think that was a glitch or something.

I like this new description for the intro much better too. More lore needs to be sprinkled into the actual game in the future so this is a good step forward.

Edit: Though I do have to say, the tutorial doesn't necessarily follow the written lore up to this point so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be playing through the beginning of the expedition or just a separate "event" to showcase all the controls and features of the game. Unless the lore would be expanded to say that when the expedition jumped and was interrupted, Zirax or whatever alien race also invaded Earth space at the same time as if it was a united attack.

rucky likes this.
  11. rucky

rucky Rear Admiral

Html syntax: NEWLINE (Break).
    In Yaml (or whatever) you need a continuous stream of text, therefore some syntax is needed to show where Newlines (Breaks) should be made.

12. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Thanks a lot for the quick edits.

There is currently no real in-detail lore. The current tutorial will eventually end with the jump to Andromeda - where the game starts then. I am not sure if the tutorial itself will "expand" into a story then or if we do this in a wholly different way.

So the Tutorial is just a Prelude of "What happened on day X". ;-)

Track Driver likes this.
  13. Cleff

Cleff Captain

That makes sense, I figured it was something like that but I'm not well versed in coding-type languages.

Cool. Either way it's fun to start the game by experiencing what happened before the upcoming survival experience, when there were still humans around you and structures like satellites functioning normally.

14. Track Driver

Track Driver Rear Admiral

I hope and suggest that when the Game begins, there could be a brief video of the MS Titan getting into trouble, alarms sounding and people rushing to escape pods. In other words, "What happened on Day X".

15. Reddemon65

Reddemon65 Ensign

I did the tutorial again and I am still seeing a problem with the green house portion. Once the green house is repaired it starts telling you that you need to plant your sprouts and if the environment is in optimal condition your plants will grow without the grow lights. Now the problem is that it gives the temp in C (20 to 30 deg) instead of F (which should show 68 to 86 deg) even tho my game option for unit of temp is set to fahrenheit. I was wondering if you could add both unit of measurement on that screen or have it read your game option setup.

16. GlassDeviant

GlassDeviant Commander

Script is still problematic, not recognising actions properly:

https://imgur.com/a/tZniB

Also, I am particularly revolted that with problems still existing in the game, some dev took the time to integrate face**** into the forums ("sign up to see what your friends recommend").

17. GlassDeviant

GlassDeviant Commander

Script fails to progress from 'one of those days' to 'anomalous anomalies', even if I go back to before removing the specimen from the container on the bottom floor of the station. Being extremely careful to follow every step precisely but still will not progress.

Here is the save file if you want to test it:

http://www.filedropper.com/tutorial-fail

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  18. Brando

Brando Ensign

I really enjoyed your tutorial. VERY well done.
    One slight issue I ran into was, I accidentally ate one of the cakes. I was able to complete the section by putting the other one into the fridge, then taking it out, and putting it into the bistro fridge, so it all worked out. Just not sure if anyone else will have the problem, and accidentally eat both.
    I also discovered a typo, attached SS here. 5th sentence from the bottom. Anomalty.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1198739571

Thanks for the wonderful game, I love it!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  19. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

I'm not sure, but I think I completed the tutorial; After replacing the admin core & being told my pistol should be fine it didn't issue any more objectives.

I felt a bit lost when my only objective was to 'Hurry up'. Hurry up where? To do what?

On the way to 'Investigate container' there is a floor plate you have to Jump to get past. It's no real issue, it just highlights the fail of using those plates upside down.

But overall 50x better than the previous iteration! I can only list these things as issues I hit. I was going to list corrections, but I see others beat me to it, ty all for saving me a bunch of typing! ^^

20. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Hm..the next chapter should auto-activate...strange. Did you check F1 if the next tutorial chapter is green?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.