SCENARIO - Feedback: : TUTORIAL

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Should be fixed in the next version.

@cake...maybe I ll add materials and task to create 3

2. Theurgist

Theurgist Captain

If the lab is where you turned the laser off then the waypoint marker never appeared. I went there while wandering around trying to work out if it was done.
    'One of these days is green', the next set is still inactive. I can activate tutorial to continue now, cheers.

When I completed the last step I was still jetpacking, after picking up core from container, when I placed the core. Bug appeared etc

3. ulippe

ulippe Ensign

I was unable to spawn the SV and after doing the tutotial from start a couple of times, I made a save game just before putting the parts and ingrédients in the manufacturing interface. I copied that save game and did it many times.
    Finally, I understood where to click up to tthe list of blue prints to have the finished blueprints. So there's no bug in the game. The bug is me inable to click à the right place.

I suggest the tutorial should be mor specific and detailled about how to spawn the SV at the end of the tutorial.
    You'll notice that my game is in french ;-)

Attached Files:

4. ceritul

ceritul Ensign

I'm having a problem with the end of the tutorial a little like, ulippe. I was able to spawn the ship at the end but the "Spawn Vessel" task isn't being marked complete. Screenshot attached. I have never played the game before so it's possible I am doing something silly. I was able to get in the vehicle but I had no fuel to start it up.

5. ceritul

ceritul Ensign

Hmm, just saw the patch notes from yesterday, https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-experimental-7-3-2-unity-2017-2.31209/, and it says this is fixed. Maybe I just need to update o_O

6. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Yep, the spawn vessel was fixed, but this will not update already "played" chapters i am afraid. (Was an error in the PDA.yaml .. and if you run a savegame, the PDA.yaml is not reloaded). You might need to use "pda rd" in the console to update the PDA and missions.

7. Dzhulian

Dzhulian Ensign

Hello, I've just started playing the game and logically started with the tutorial. Thank you for making one - it certainly helped me understand the principles and UI.

Please warn players early that digging straight down will make it very difficult (and quite tedious) to get back up again - the warning was a little late! It also become stuck at the "close control panel" part when fueling the HV, plus a few times at the "pick up the items" part after the constructor finished, despite my attempts to put the items back and add them to the inventory again. It might be a good idea to suggest saving occasionally so that the person doesn't get annoyed if a bug happens and has to start again.

I thought the ending fighting the aliens was good fun, the only hiccup being I didn't realise the completed SV was at the top of the list. Perhaps you could say something like, "Completed items are shown at the top of the library list". Even better would be having a completed item shown somewhere in the "Factory" tab or a "Completed" tab rather than the "Library" one.

Thanks again. I look forward to playing the game.

8. crimsonedge885

crimsonedge885 Lieutenant

You're going to get new players refunding the game over it, if they manage to 'break' something in their first 5-10 minutes of playing it. Just keep this in mind, the purpose of the tutorial is to convince a new player that your game is worth keeping, and not refunding it before their 2hrs are up. A bad first impression is likely to result in the later happening. It's extremely critical to have a very solid, functional tutorial that's not easy to 'break'.

ldog likes this.
  9. Art

Art Ensign

Hello. New player here, fresh off the tutorial.
    While it explains the basics, it was kinda frustrating for me to be honest.
    1) Had to re-do some things by not doing them not in the exactly scripted order. Multiple people here have mentioned this already. I think you should check "get an item from container" objective completion by checking "does the container still has the amount of materials" and "does player inventory contain that amount of materials", not by the action of transferring it in that specific order of the quest.

2) Had to lookup and use itemmenu with the fabricator thingy. I created stuff earlier than I supposed to be from quest
    Had the same problem with windows for the "farm", because I placed them incorrectly and did not know how to remove them without breaking.
    Maybe the wasteable items should respawn somehow if the player has this kind of incidents? Or, like, have them in the locked container nearby and spew the code for them.

Anyway, thanks for the game, I like it a lot!

10. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Would be helpful to know what exactly broke t which point, as the tasks check for different things and a global „did break it“ will not really help me improve it (or request new checks from the devs) ;-)

11. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    @1 _ can you please tell me the tasks which had problems with the order of things done/not done
    @2 _ same here. Can you please name the task or the steps which did not work ?

Concerning the placed window: the explanation on how to use the multitool might need to be moved to the first task after reaching the greenhouse..

12. Art

Art Ensign

Sure. I won't go through the tutorial again, but loaded the save to remember

"A Man of the Moon"
    -Find Equipment
    Had to put back drills and other stuff back to the locker and pick them up again for game to register the completion. Not sure why and if I got them before or not.
    -Open Hangar Door B
    Had to close the hangar door and open it back to register the completion.

"A Helping Hand"
    -Constructor and the following
    Turned it on before the supposed order, crafted items, the game didn't register task as completed, had to cheat materials to re-do the task in the exact order.

There were probably more of these. I think most of the logic should be reviewed. I mean, tasks like "open the door", "turn off the constructor" are too dumb even for the tutorial sake. Most games implement this kind of stuff as hints that pop up in some corner unobtrusively and stay until the player does the thing or moves away from the location. And you can't ask the player to get the drill if he already has one. Most games I played (and I have a ton of them, 250+ on steam alone) auto complete tasks by checking if the conditions are met, not from some kind of trigger.

Oh, and the F1 PDA thing, I had to click around and scroll to find the last task description, it was not obvious for me that each mission has its own log.

13. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Thanks!

@man on the moon
    Do you remember if you opened the containers BEFORE you were told to search the equipment? Of did you access the container after the officer told you to do so?

14. Art

Art Ensign

Not sure. Before, I think

15. ldog

ldog Commander

Can confirm what Art said, experienced player, go through the tutorial for thoroughness and every fucking time (because I know what I'm doing and real men don't read directions anyway)
    "A Helping Hand"
    -Constructor and the following
    Turned it on before the supposed order, crafted items, the game didn't register task as completed, had to cheat materials to re-do the task in the exact order.

Have managed to break whatever container quests as well by opening/grabbing stuff out of turn.
    The whole quest system in general needs love.

rainyday likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.