Alpha 8.0 EXP: AI Behavior

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    For Alpha 8.0, we are developing a new AI technology, which will be used mainly for the AI of animals on the planets.

1. Technology
    We will be using a new Behaviour Tree technology for the animals. It is a visual tool, in which we can design the behaviour from small AI modules. This helps us to easily create prototypes and reuse the modules between animals.

[​IMG]

To make the animal behaviour more natural we are using some new tools.
    - Vision sensor - it will simulate vision of the animal. If you get in range and field of view, it will inform other systems of your presence
    - Noise system - similar to vision sensor. This system is gathering some of the noises in game and feeding them in to the AI
    - Alert level - If the animal can hear or see you, it can get alerted - it can be just a slight disturbance or a strong rage, depends on the alert source strength, was it just a rustle, or a shot in the back? You can now try to go stealthy, slowly and not using items. You can see the animals react by changing their behaviour. Learn to read the posture ;-)
    - Fear sensor - similar to alert level, animal has also a fear level. The fear is increased with noises or damage, and decreased by time (as time heals everything) and friends. So if you see aggressive creature in big group, be careful!

Example: Alien Bug 03
    EPD__AlienBug03.png
    - will attack a player when he can see him - it will shoot 1-3 times then move "towards" (not directly, but at an angle) to the player
    - will try to keep minimal distance from the player - 10 meters
    - will remember where it was spawned and will try to return back when he wanders too far
    - if player runs away, the bug will not chase him but return "home"

2. New behaviours

Friendly herbivore:
    A friendly herbivore will be eating grass (or maybe rocks, depends on their taste) and roam around the world peacefully. But if it is alerted, it will get cautions and eventually try to run to safety
    [​IMG]

Hungry predator:
    This predator will roam the land, and when it sees a potential prey, it will attack! But if you scare it, it will run to his friends. Beware, it will come back for another bite! And possibly bringing that friends to the party! If it scares you, maybe you can get out of his vision...(sensor).
    [​IMG]

Curios fellow:
    When you come close, it will be interested in you. As you are not on his daily menu, it will just watch, not bite. If you scare him, he will probably just run away... probably!

All behaviours are work-in-progress and more mechanics will follow...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    CURRENT BEHAVIORAL ADDITIONS

Parasaur - group
    • States
      • Calm - walk slowly around, grazing
      • Low alert - stop walking, raise up (whole group)
      • High alert - run away from danger together
    • Alerting factors
      • Noise - shooting a weapon / using items (drill) (max 50 meters)
      • Damage
      • Vision
        • if they can see the player, and the player is moving. (max 90 meters)
        • not moving player is not a threat, only if he gets too close to the animals (20m)
      • Death of group member
    >> the closer the alerting factor is, the more will the animal react

20180511171006_1.jpg

Spider - group
    For testing: Spawn with F10, spiderBAI01 - with “group” option on
    • Spiders will be spawned as a group, but they act more individually, they will share fear, and the more spiders is there together, the faster they will recover from fear

• States:
      • - calm - walks around
      • - low alert - angry gestures, walks towards player
      • - hi alert - attacks player
      • - alerted, but target not accessible(in water)
      • When player is in water > angry gestures, random walk
    • Variants
      • when they see the player, they will attack him
      • they can get scared and run away, they will come back, once they "shake off the fear"
      • the more spiders there is together, the less they fear
    • Fear factors
      • proximity to player
      • noises (shooting, drilling)
      • damage - damage to one spider will create fear in the whole group
      • fear from death of a group member
    NOTE:
    • Spiders can be alerted, but without seeing the player, in this case it will run around "searching" the source of the alert
    • The ability to scare the spider is to make the fight more dynamic, to give the player more breathing room and something interesting. The spider should not run away completely.
    20180511170919_1.jpg

Alien bug 01 - group
    • Has vision and fear
    • Acts as individual, shares fear in group
    • States
      • Calm - walks around
      • Low alert + player nearby - keeps distance from player, but rotates towards him and maked gestures
      • Scared
        • High probability of running away
        • Low probability of attacking the player - one attempt to hit, then run away
    20180511170749_1.jpg

Alien bug 03 - single
    • Has vision and alert
    • States
      • Calm - walks around
      • Alerted - attacks the player with a projectile
        • If the player is far, he will walk towards him
        • If he is too far from spawn position, it will return back to it
        • If the player is too close, it will keep distance
        • During the attack he will fire 1 - 3 projectiles, then change position
    20180511170848_1.jpg

Triceratops - single
    • Has vision, alert, fear
    • States
      • Calm, no player around - walks randomly
      • Calm, player around - walks around player, makes small roar animation

• After small damage - goes to Rage
        • If far from player, will make big roar and charge the player
        • After the start of the charge, he will not make any turns, so it is possible to avoid.
        • If the charge is not avoided, the damage is deadly! As he is running he is giving damage periodically - so it is possible that he will damage the player multiple times
        • If the player is close, he will make close range attacks with probability of roars
      • If he is in rage and player goes to water, trice will stay out and mage angry roars
    20180511170910_1.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  3. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

Drove up to some dinos and scared them away.
    Sprinting is a bit unnatural as the adults move in the same way as the cubs

spacefarmer likes this.
  4. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

Spiders and other MOBS can follow you indefinitely and breath under water!!!! I was helpless floating on top of the water while they sat there under water for 10 min

5. Keith Hovey

Keith Hovey Captain

Wait till you run into drones lol. I ran into one and stopped because i couldnt outrun it. It just endlessly floated up. Got 200 meters+ awway from me in the air and i had a death anchor from then on lol. It never went away, but never really came down either. Found out i could collect a bunch of em like balloons. Its freaking weird but funny lol.

6. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I like where this is going . The drones need a little adjustment but other than that this is a very good starting point.

spacefarmer likes this.
  7. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

How do the devs feel about allowing players to make one of these animals a pet ? Maybe you can feed it and it will follow you around ? Maybe take it on your space ship?

Fenuth, WolfEyes and michaelhartman89 like this.
  8. michaelhartman89

michaelhartman89 Rear Admiral

Fresh ideas are what we need, not endless tweaking lol. Balancing is needed and important, but endless reverting back and forth on hit points for the sake of momentary fixes drives me off the walls. What a waste of good development time when we could have new goodies instead.

One player says it's too easy, another says it's too hard, one wants to get rid of a feature and another says let's redefine or balance it, I say just add more features and make them functional and then balance. Why waste time balancing something when you have future features that will change everything. I get it that we are in alpha and it's open development, but we had a blast early on in 3.0 and 4.0 when it was chaotic lol.

MadRussian, Kassonnade and banksman45 like this.
  9. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

I agree with you. I thought alpha was the development phase and beta is when they weaked and balanced. I would be fine if they spent the the rest of Alpha loading up on features and waited til Beta to fix them.

10. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Pets/Companions are planned for a later stage (not for the A8 versions i am afraid)

Ballard, Nahtalus, WolfEyes and 3 others like this.
  11. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

My first impressions for animals & bugs is that 'behavior' mechanic works really good & realistic - '3rhinos' ignor me, 'horndinos' looks & run, 'greenbug' makes a stance & growl, and spider 3-pack run out of woods & chased me (I thought I was very fast & survived them, but it was a 'spider do not bite' bug :D

... didn't cheat to get drones, and didn't play that long for them to attack me.

12. Tryst

Tryst Captain

The problem with that is further additions may compound the problems. If the problem is fixed as you go, the next addition will bring it's own problems, but it's easier to narrow down where the bug really is. Searching through millions of lines of code for a bug when you're not sure where it originated can take a lot of unnecessary time. That's why many AA titles like Skyrim take ages to get a fix for some of the bugs and some of them NEVER get fixed properly.

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Interestingly the only Drone I've encountered was quite literally hugging the ground as it approached me. It was also ridiculously easy to take down. It out-ranged me sure (Minigun Drone) which could have been fatal, but I took cover and popped out from behind it to take pot shots.

Scoob.

14. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

WOW .. Hummel so having pets in this game will be a feature in the future. So I will get my pet Raptor? ;) Empyrion is getting to the point where it can do it all. I bet those who play Ark will love that news.

Sofianinho likes this.
  15. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

Good point.

16. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

I don't care for pets, if I can't have Porthos* ... but 'pets' mechanic with little modifications could be also solution for animal farming & milk! Animals in current Alpha 8 are called 'containers' after all :p

* ST ref. :rolleyes:

Sofianinho and banksman45 like this.
  17. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

So maybe we can milk a Lizard mule or triceratops? Which would be interesting. lol

Sofianinho and Keith Hovey like this.
  18. RWJ6001

RWJ6001 Ensign

I started a game last night and was initially excited because I approached some grazing herbivores and the adults stood up and looked around and then took off with the little ones. Behavior I would fully expect to encounter from a generally non-aggressive animal that was protecting its young in an open field.

But then I encountered an alien bug in a forest area and it didn't do anything, it literally had no reaction whatsoever when I approached it, and stood there while I shot it to death with my shotgun. Same thing happened when I came upon a triceratops, it charged me when I shot it, but before that no reaction.

19. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

I had interaction with those alien bugs, sometime they ignore you - but other time some of them turn on me and growl, and it looked like it was going at me... so I run away (or they didnt do anything and everything was in my head :))
    They are not aggressive, but maybe they have that 'its 5 of us, and 1 of you, so move or be eaten' trigger :D

20. Hicks42

Hicks42 Rear Admiral

OK, so is it just me or did someone model the spiders' attack behavior in my game after a 16th century Calvary Caracole?

Ballard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.