Alpha 8.0 EXP: FOG OF WAR

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    In EXP Phase 6 we are now adding a first version of a "Fog of War".

To avoid misconceptions: this has nothing to do with Empyrion becoming a RTS game and it has nothing to do with "war"

For now, FoW is a visual indicator of the areas on PLANETS that you already visited vs. those that you did not visit - or a indicator where you did not yet search for ore or POI ....and bascially looks like this:

The Area which will be uncovered directly relates to your detector range (eg. the range of its detection capabilities):

Range without any detector
    20180525123613_1.jpg

Range with Handheld Detector
    20180525123627_1.jpg

Range with HV-based Detector
    20180525123728_1.jpg

Obidiah, WolfEyes and Ambaire like this.
  2. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Captain

Looking forward to it! This will make exploring the larger planets so much better!

3. Kaeser

Kaeser Rear Admiral

Just a request to this, the revealed area should be related only to the detection area, which is 500 m

And it should be like this because the radars are only indicators they don't detect and mark POIs or Ore deposits by themselves

So, we basically reveal an area way bigger than what we can actually detect until we get in 500 m range and thus, it's marked as revealed area but we still may have a lot of stuff we don't know about in there

That is, we loose the advantage of the FOW and can't actually detect all that's in the revealed area.....

Ho and could it be a round pattern instead?!?

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  4. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

+ 1000 :)

It is also much better gameplay wise to have smaller area that we actually visited and inspected and that we know that is 'clear' - or if you can make at least '2 layer' indicator, clear view on player ranges and semi-transparent on that larger 'radar' range of 2500!

drumit84, Jamesonjones1 and RhodeKill like this.
  5. Nobody 2

Nobody 2 Commander

Yep, 500m is enough, so we know what we scoutet via scanner (+500m at the borders) but see where we unhide all

6. WAZZUUUP!

WAZZUUUP! Ensign

Greetings

Oh my such a good idea! This will help exploration immensely! :D

7. Exacute

Exacute Captain

Assumption: The square-revealing is based on which 'chunk' you are in?
    Perhabs adding some artificial loss (visually), that slightly hides part of one that is revealed, to create a more 'circular' revealing pattern, to make the squares less .. Noticeable?

I gave it a quick spin, and I really like the idea! - My only real suggestion is in relation to the visual part of it.
    Not counting the functionality / look: Perhabs consider making the revealed zone smaller?

[​IMG]
    A rough estimate of the viewdistance. Here rather high up in the air but 'on foot'.
    It seems like a really long distance, that you wouldn't really be able to map out from a 'on foot' POV?

(showcasing the height it was taken from:)
    [​IMG]

Possibly make the altitude? (upwards axis) define how far you can reveal? This would encourage climbing POIs, aswell as surveying from a flying POV.
    While nerfing how far you can see on the ground?

Just my first thoughts about it

T431, theFisher86, Starwing6 and 2 others like this.
  8. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

... ok, now all we are missing is overlay grid with coordinates with turn on/off option, so that we can find others in SAR operations on MP servers or when allies want to attack some third party :cool:

9. Nobody 2

Nobody 2 Commander

My biggest gripe this moment is that the fog is so strong i nearly cant identify the Biomes in the Fogged area.
    But i dont encumber, nothing i cant handle

10. LordJerle

LordJerle Ensign

Make it something that can be turned off in the config. There's no real need for a fog of war area because you can't view buildings or deposits from orbit, and anything discovered doesn't show up until you're within range anyway. Another pointless change.

Spirit Wolf and ion_storm like this.
  11. Exacute

Exacute Captain

I disagree.
    It is a step in the right direction, for making things more transparant (When something is discovered, can now be viewed way clearer), aswell as a QoL improvement, showing you (roughly) where you've been.
    I'm sure it's far from its final iteration, but as a concept, I'm all for it.

monktk, Ambaire and StyleBBQ like this.
  12. Damocles

Damocles Commander

You do realize that the planets are so big, that you dont actually know what areas you have scouted before?

ceritul, EstebanLB01, monktk and 4 others like this.
  13. LordJerle

LordJerle Ensign

You do realize it's a step backward in the immersion department, right? Why the grey field? If you're approaching the planet from orbit, you've already got a birds eye view of what the planet looks like as a map. The old system of the POI's and deposits not showing on the map until you discovered them on planet was just fine. Again, this is just a useless feature. They should be working on server stability instead of adding things that have no real purpose.

14. Exacute

Exacute Captain

It should be obvious, that different people work on different things. Stability and gameplay being two different things.
    Why the grey field? As Hummel asked in the post: Would you prefer it black entirely?
    The grey is your 'birds eye view', combined with 'what is explored'.

This is the same system as the old, but with more dynamics - Mostly in the sense that it gives 'feedback' to your 'discovery radius' so to speak.
    In other words, it's less arbitrary than 'you discovered something out of the blue'.

15. Damocles

Damocles Commander

Currently the fog has roughly a 64x32 resolution (on the starter planet). I think when pimping that up to 256x128, it should be detailed enough for the purpose.
    Later a smooth transition at the edges would be nice though.

16. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Request for a round pattern seconded.

EstebanLB01 and Jamesonjones1 like this.
  17. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Commander

Agree but I do feel it needs to be a fixed 500 meters around the player not based off your radar distance. This should be about what you discover not what your radar has discovered.

EstebanLB01 and WolfEyes like this.
  18. Damocles

Damocles Commander

With a higher resolution, sure.
    Question then is: should it reveal the scanner radius, or a large "view" radius?

If its the scanner radius, the planet can end up looking very striped in the map.
    A larger view radius can make the player miss spots...

19. Zormac

Zormac Ensign

This! I believe this should be optional.

Also, perhaps it should be possible to remove fog-of-war building a radar or satellite.

ion_storm likes this.
  20. runlykhel

runlykhel Commander

Just some thoughts.

Not a big fan of FOW, but can live with it. (I’ve not had any trouble with exploring the big planets, there are plenty of landmarks.)

Being able to toggle it on/off would be nice.

FOW at radar distance with more detailed discoveries at detection distance to keep the surprise in discovery. After all character might have gotten a good view of planet on way down, but not necessarily see buildings etc.

Lighten or thinning of the FOW to better reveal biomes to be able to plan a route to an area; it would still keep record of where you’ve been, which seems to be the focus of a FOW.

Maybe a better color of the FOW, like fog or even a light blue sky color; the grey looks rather harsh. Yes I know it’s a WIP.

ion_storm, Starwing6 and WolfEyes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.