Alpha 8.0 EXP: New Planets

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Apr 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    uBYxhzq.jpg KEY FEATURES

New sizes:
    Class 2: 8km x 4km (size in pre-Alpha 8 versions)
    Class 3: 16km x 8km
    Class 4: 32km x 16km
    Class 5: 64km x 32km

Key Achievements
    • Terrain is procedurally generated again (see SSG docu for more info)
    • Biome distribution is now dependent on temperature and humidity for planets
    • Removed red and green walls
    • Voxel Mining back again
    Changes directly related to new Planets
    • Removed Green and Red curtains. Poles are now freely accessible, but you cannot build there
    • Extended warning ranges for out of orbital playfield warning: SP - 50km, MP - 100km.
    • Increased SV speed on planets from 40m/s to 50m/s
    • Added a list of new planet names (thanks to everyone who contributed)
    • Activated voxel underground resources again: if no distribution type is specified in playfield.yaml, the Voxel resources are used > see starter planet: Iron, Copper, Silicon (Voxel), Promethium (Underground Rock; SSOR like in 7.x). Creators can choose per playfield how they want the ressources to appear: Voxel or SSOR
    • Added and updated underground layers to all planets + added comments on how to use UndergroundLayers in ExamplePlanet yaml
    • Added specific rock resource stones for all resources (except Pentaxid since we already have harvestable crystals)
    • Balanced hitpoints of different underground materials: stone, dirt, sand, snow. Now speed of drilling depends where you drill
    • CrushedStone is now only dropped for stone terrain textures
    • POI can now be spawned by biome
    • Added Planet rotation axis: now you can have eg longer days on northern hemisphere etc
      Supporting now playfield_debug.yaml file for random planets
    • Use planet3d model for the planets in the 3D map for proper UVs.
    • Integrated Spawn Ranges for starter playfield
    • Spawn near values (for POI and resource spawning) are now [ min, max ] ranges
    • Implemented: playfield.yaml: Add 'Zero' as a name for SpawnPOIAvoid to specify POI's not to be spawned near coordinate 0/0
    • Implemented: Random POIs: "Zero" is now "START" and uses the correct center of the Starter Biome
    • Implemented: Random POIs: SpawnPOINear can use "START" as pseudo POI group name to spawn POI's in the starter biome
    • Old Playfields moved to “LegacyPlayfields"
    FLOATING BASES
    - Added possibility to switch off Structural Integrity via yaml:
    You can now create floating bases by adding a new parameter to the PROPERTIES section of a POI. Have a look into the playfield_static.yaml in this folder for the full syntax: ..\Empyrion - Galactic Survival\Content\Playfields\TemperateStarter
    - We added a floating Trading Station as an example on starter planet. Please note that this is just to showcase the new feature - we might replace it with a story POI anytime soon.
    - We will allow to use random placement of flying bases in the next update (current only fixed placement)

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    Slimer, Marty, Sofianinho and 5 others like this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    LARGER PLANETS - Questions & Answers

== Global Changes ==

Q: Will the planets that have been made before 8.0 now be unplayable or can we convert them from 7.x to 8.0 version?
    A: Since we completely changed the decoration system, you will need to add the new decorations to the old heightmap planets

Q: Will the larger planets remain square heightmaps wrapped around cylinders or will they be changed to spherical planets, where you can travel to the north and south poles?
    A: The playfields of any planet are still rectangular maps, but we aim to improve the technical limitations (red and green wall) to a point where you will hardly notice them.

Q: Are there going to be any changes to performance that I should anticipate (such as more RAM usage, CPU usage, etc) for single player and servers?
    A: The new larger planets themselves will not have a higher performance impact.

== Global Planet-related Topics ==

Q: Will all planets be the same size?
    A: No. The solar system generator will randomize the planet size (note: The same seed will give you the exact same solar system)

Q: Is the heightmap limit remaining the same, so the distance from the surface to orbit or down to the core, regardless of the diameter of the planet?
    A: For the moment, we have the same overall maximum playfield height of 511m

Q: Will resource nodes be more spread out on larger planets due to the current limit of nodes we have right now on smaller planets? I.e. If a small planet has a max of 9 Iron deposits on its surface, is a larger planet also going to be capped at 9?
    A: The deposits amount and count can still be set in the .yaml. So it is up to the creator of the playfield. However, we might introduce an automated scaling parameter that takes into account the planet size in a future update.

Q: Will custom terrain files (XMLs and heightmaps) be usable on multiplayer scenarios?
    A: For 8.0 this is not yet possible. However, the new procedural planets can be used for multiplayer scenarios.

== Gameplay ==

Q: If planets are larger on the surface, does this also mean the spherical representation of the planet in the space playfield will also be larger?
    A: Yes.

Q: Will there be quirks such as it is faster to get to the other side of the planet by going to space first?
    A: As long as we do not increase the heightmap of playfields, yes this would be a shortcut. Think of how a rocket nowadays can get faster from point A to B if it goes through space.

Q: On larger planets, would the solar panel theoretically have a wider "sweet spot" due to a wider area that the sun is hitting? i.e. On a small planet you only have say 500m where you are near the equator, but a large planet could be 2km (providing random numbers)?
    A: Yes

Q: Will the entire planet share the same weather?
    A: We are currently not planning to change the overall weather system. We might add biome-dependent weather in the future.

== POI & Dronebase Threats =

Q: Will there still only be one Drone Base that provides drones for the entire planet, or will there be regional drone bases?
    A: We could increase the number of drone bases to have regional bases in a future update. (Not yet added in A8.0)

Q: Will drones and transporter have an increased speed factor, reaction agility, larger attack force due to larger planets ?
    A: Yes.

Q: Will there be more than one Patrol Vehicle per planet?
    A: This is pretty much up to the creator of the playfield.

Q: Will we see larger POI settlements now with larger flat areas and will it be easier to spawn POIs without a drastic change in drop or climb of terrain
    A: The larger planets will have larger areas of "flat terrain" (Of course this depends on how the playfield creator designs the terrain)

== Deco & Additions ==

Q: Will there be more ENTITIES (POIs, RESSOURCES, Drones, animals, enemies, etc.) on the larger planet possible (right now very limited) ?
    A: There is an entity limit for any playfield. This means the amount of NPC, POI, deposits that are on the planet at the same time, is limited. However, we are planning to increase the entity limit per planet in the future.

Q: Will there be caves, deeper oceans, underwater caverns and large redwood forests with this larger planet update.
    A: This is also a planned feature for the future.

Q: Can we get few more planet types aka 'I want new additional planet textures'?
    A: Additional terrain textures will be considered in the future.

Q: Are you planning to introduce different GASES as environmental factors on new planets to make them more diverse & dangerous?
    A: Entirely new planet types are planned for the future, yes!

Q: Will you introduce "ice" as ore in underground rock form on some barren, desolate or toxic future planets (and in space in asteroids)?
    A: This is also a topic for a future update (more different materials in general)

== Other ==

Q: Are there any plans to make the space playfield larger as well to keep it from feeling too crammed together?
    A: Yes, the space playfields can now be significantly increased as well (probably more than 100 times the current size)

Q: Will way-points act any differently? A big planet could have lots of spots marked and really start to fill up your screen. A player might only want to see them within a certain distance, or they might want to hold down a key for a quick check against them.
    A: This is planned for the future.

Q: Will there be something dynamic between POIs, proper AI vehicles, wildlife migration routes, regular Zirax patrols, anything?
    A: We are currently working on improving the ground AI. Expect some cool stuff and stay tuned for more info on this topic in the near future.

Q: Will we see a first implementation of a wildlife pecking order, meaning territorial behaviour less randomised, more centralised on certain environmental conditions according to species.
    A: We are currently working on improving the ground AI. Expect some cool stuff and stay tuned for more info on this topic in the near future.

3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    KNOWN ISSUES:

- .. -

4. Damion Rayne

Damion Rayne Lieutenant

I have a few questions here myself...

1. Will the new planet system still support lava worlds like Aestus?
    2. Will we still see wildly alien worlds with radiation fog, thunder storms, etc?

5. Van

Van Commander

Really looking forward to these cool new changes! Thanks!

With the removal of the pole barriers, but the inability to build in pole zones, will there be some way to tell when we're in a pole zone?

For example, say I want to build as far north as possible to maximize daylight exposure for solar power. Do I just have to run around on the ground with a BA core to figure out where I can build?

Also, does the "no build" rule in poles only apply to bases? Just wondering if I crash into a pole zone and my fuel tank breaks, will I be able to repair it?

WolfEyes likes this.
  6. Damion Rayne

Damion Rayne Lieutenant

Right now, in the EXP, it's pretty obvious when you're on the pole via the map. As the pole is just a flat circle.

7. Alhira_K

Alhira_K Ensign

Might be true or not, can´t exactly tell. What does tank my performance though is the bmForest i am currently in (and the Robinson Protocol forces me to go in). Feels like solid 5 FPS. :p
    Granted i do not have the best of PCs but i am playing on all low to medium and never went that low in the earlier alpha releases.

Also hat are your thoughts on fuel consumption rate due to larger planets and possible larger playfields?

Ourpitsfresh likes this.
  8. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

Initial thoughts on new Planets and terrain: Yeah, this is the business.

Distribution of harvestable plants is good.
    Variety of harvestable plants is good to. I've wandered about 700 metres from the escape pod to the nearest body of water and discovered 5 different items. Didn't seem to be able to harvest honey though.

Terrain itself is good. I like the way it seems to blend together now. I've gone from being out in a grassy plain, to dense vegetation, to a shore line. The plants have visibly altered but not in a way that was sudden. Seems very natural.
    The ground seems a bit more smooth which is nice. When spawning large bases previously it was a pain to try and find enough open flat terrain or to flatten it all down. That doesn't look to be an issue now.
    Oddlt though, now that the vegetation is so dense in some parts it makes me want to build a much smaller woodland cottage.

Also the dragonflies are a nice touch.

*edit 1
    Incoming meteorite after 5 mins in? I haven't mined anything.

*edit 2
    would be nice if the map showed where forest starts and ends.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  9. Darksynapse

Darksynapse Lieutenant

The view distance to see POI's seems a bit low now. I flew around the starting planet twice and didn't see any POI's. It'd be nice if the Radar system picks them up from further away. This could be a good opportunity to allow players to construct Radar sites which can scan large parts of the planet for POI's. You could even add Tiers for potentially hidden POI's like burred ships that crashed a long time ago.

The resources seem a bit far away from each other now. All the traveling gets a bit boring (especially before you have a HV/SV)

Ourpitsfresh likes this.
  10. Clockwork Orange

I was wondering if the vehicle speeds have been increased due to increased size of planets? Previous vehicle speeds felt like a sluggish sloth flying around on a planet and was hoping this has been increased drastically.

Runeshadow likes this.
  11. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Both a clear yes. We are creating more template types and a few are already added. (Check the screenshots in the announcement ;)

Runeshadow and Damion Rayne like this.
  12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Captain

Very few POIs on the starting planet. Besides the small wrecks and the crashed MS titan, there are only about 2 or 3 other POIs on the whole planet, plus a cluster of fortification and radar POIs in one spot.

Ourpitsfresh likes this.
  13. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Didn't go to other planets, just Akua in survival & Omicron in creative - they look & feel FANTASTIC, and I was a bit sceptical about Akua before but now when playing onit does have a nice stange 'out of the world' prehistoric vibe with its dinos & things - rolling hills, forests, swamps, and mountains in distance... Looks like 'green Africa' and it is like END OF BATTLESTAR GALACTICA :D

About 'flat poles', I did fly CV over pole but when you hit right on middle you get automatically turn over - so I guess you will make something 'there' in future :rolleyes:

Sofianinho and Kassonnade like this.
  14. Adonnay

Adonnay Ensign

I didn't see anything about number of planets. I read about the SSG that multiple sectors is not a thing yet. So being stuck with one system, how many planets can we have in one system? I read that it's also radomized/randomizable but where is the limit?

15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Captain

I'm curious too what the limit is. I guess there's one way to find out!

*goes to create random system with 200 planets*

16. IronCartographer

Is there any support for biomes being more moderate in temperature at all times compared to other biomes? By this I mean cooler during the day, yet warmer during the night (compared to the average for that time of day/night).

It seems like the forest is supposed to be cool during the day (due to shade) but then it is also cold at night when it should hold in warmth and equalize the temperature more.

It would be great if a biome could be more favorable in temperature regardless of time of day, with the tradeoff being more threats from creatures (which suits the forest quite well).

MadRussian and Sofianinho like this.
  17. Damion Rayne

Damion Rayne Lieutenant

Thanks Hummel.

18. wagfeliz

wagfeliz Commander

Game is not allowing you to spawn drones after a while, and even crashing sometimes when you try it, where is the bug or feedback thread ?????

19. Kosmic Kerman

Kosmic Kerman Commander

Already reported and a known bug. The bug thread is in the Bugs sub forum of the Experimental Branch subforum.

20. Tabula rasa

Tabula rasa Lieutenant

upload_2018-4-25_16-33-39.png
    Is this normal? I can hear ocean waves (there is no water) and there is no visibility at all around spawn area..
    Seed: 680155

Sofianinho and FerociousBear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.