Alpha 8.0 EXP: Zirax Soldier AI update

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Jun 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Updated Zirax Behavior (RC2)
    - calm: wanders with random idle animations (new use of layers in animation system)
    - alerted: attacks player with random movement between shots (aim transition)
    - hit reaction - 4 hit animations (also uses animation layer)
    - search action: uses approximate target position. It is used for example whn the Zirax did heat you but did not see you. He will know where you are only approximately and search for you there.
    - better target selection
    - different idle animations when alerted and when calm

Please report any observations and feedback right here!

2. Zyrax

Zyrax Lieutenant

I didnt really check but do zyrax soldiers react on sounds or they have to see you to start moving closer/attack?

3. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator
    Staff Member

They can hear you

- search action: uses approximate target position. It is used for example whn the Zirax did heat you but did not see you. He will know where you are only approximately and search for you there.

4. Zyrax

Zyrax Lieutenant

Ok. One more question. What does "better target selection" mean? They will be more acurate or you gave them some sort of target priority?

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Captain

I believe THAT is what we should find out ourselves when we "...have a close look at those". The Picture tells tales of the Devs exp. Last thing he remembers, waking up in a cloning chamber, asking the Zirax for directions...*Boom*

Zyrax likes this.
  6. Cleff

Cleff Captain

The new Zirax AI is so much better than it used to be. I was just messing around with some patrols around the drone bases and it was a pretty good experience. Seeing the patrols walk around, stand, turn their heads to look, take a knee, and continue patrolling all separately from each other gives the encounter some real life. A great step in the right direction with this, you are finally addressing a major issue I had for a long time with regards to ground combat.

Three thoughts come from this:
    1. The kneeling is awesome. It adds some height variation to the firefight when they take a knee and continue shooting at you. If you want to get headshots you need to adjust accordingly. Prone could be an interesting addition in the future. Sometimes it feels like they kneel for too short of a duration but maybe that's a good thing to keep the player on their toes. Also, now I feel left out that the enemy can crouch but I cannot.
    2. I love the repositioning of the enemy when attacking me. They move around some rather than marching straight towards me and possibly try to get a better angle on me. However, I would like to see some more intelligence on their part. For example, a Zirax can detect that another Zirax soldier is alive and they have a chance of an action sequence initiating where one Zirax suppresses fire (or shoots even more frequently but with less accuracy) while another flanks around one of your sides to catch you off guard. I already see the makings of this how some will be shooting at me and some moving to the side but then continue to shoot.
    3. I think particular actions would suite particular Zirax soldier types (and enemy creature types). I had a boring experience with one patrol that was made up of 4 shotgunners, while we were outdoors. They simply could not hit me from the range I was shooting and they barely attempted to get within effective range. Have shotgunners play more aggressively, maybe they can take a knee and move side to side some but if they are out of range they rush forward and try to close the gap. Make the player eliminate the shotgunners quickly or else they will sprint up and dish out a lot of damage if neglected. Have snipers or rocket launchers try to run back to the rear of the patrol relative to the enemy (us) so they are not on the frontline and can be threatening from a safe distance.
    Overall really great job on this. I didn't expect such a big game changer to come in RC2 of a public release.

Germanicus likes this.
  7. Zyrax

Zyrax Lieutenant

Sounds good, right?

Germanicus likes this.
  8. WolfEyes

WolfEyes Captain

Nice. Seeker rounds that refuse to re-aim on command. Must be a new feature. :D

Zyrax likes this.
  9. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Captain

I deleted the post because I did post it in the wrong thread.

On the Zirax new AI now. I enjoy the fact that they stand on their knee to take their time to fire at the player. The new animations I suppose.

10. Spirit Wolf

Spirit Wolf Ensign

really like the new AI

11. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

Delighted to hear that the Zirax now know how to "take a knee!
    I assume Trump won't be inviting them to the White House, even if they win?

ion_storm and geostar1024 like this.
  12. Spirit Wolf

Spirit Wolf Ensign

fighting seems more dynamic which i love. i still think more needs to be done with hearing detection. firing my weapon or driving by on my HV should alert the patrol immediatly. pls keep expanding ai soldier behavior!

rainyday likes this.
  13. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

He'll assume they're tired of winning, and deport them to a shithole...

14. 68plex

68plex Captain

New animations seem pretty cool to me too. Provides a better sense of immersion. Although, seems the old bug where robots fire at you through walls is back. Had a very bad experience with this earlier today at Weapons Bunker. I exited the game, cleared the cache, and re-loaded, and that seemed to fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.