Alpha 8.0 What would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by VISION305, May 10, 2017.

1. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

I would like to see:
    1) Erestrum and Zascosium nodes to be MUCH smaller. On the order of gold nodes, eg 100-300 ores in size. Make them produce 1-3 ores per hour on a T3 autominer based on size.
    Oh god, WHY?! Because as the system stands, Zascosium and Erestrum are obnoxious. You go almost instantly from "starved for the GOOD stuff" to "Oh, I've got a stack of this, and next to nothing to use it on, so dump it." Erestrum and Zascosium are solely used to make power coils, and the items that require power coils don't need much of them. I've never actually used a full stack of either in survival, and I usually get enough ore for at least 7 stacks the first time I return to the autominer. It trivializes an end game material and always ends up making me feel just a little cheated.
    1a) Alternately, if you don't want to reduce the Z and E nodes, give us uber weapons that require power coils in their ammo/firing mechanisms.
    Lasers (that actually don't suck, please make them deal useful levels of damage!) would be a good candidate for this.
    Logically speaking, an item that would almost mandate power coils in its construction would be the Capacitor blocks- Maybe even several tiers of capacitor block. Which brings us to...
    2) Please give Capacitors a use- preferably, a system that lets a ship store power for use before tapping into fuel reserves!
    They've been here forever, they LOOK awesome, make them useful! This is just teasing us. Capacitors with a docking block similar to the repair block that will allow a base to charge a CV, SV, or HV, a similar block for CV that functions for SVs and HVs. It could be an expy of the Repair block, even, although it'd be better if there was a limit of 3 instead of 1 (Or no limit at all, because it's basically a wall plug). And on the topic of energy....
    2a) Energy weapons...
    These need to be actually ENERGY based. Make them use power. Lasers should be hit scan; as they currently stand they're not lasers they're energy bolts, which ARE cool, but are NOT lasers. Lasers are lightspeed weapons. Hitscan at any ranges that matter in game. Preferably should be energy cost over time and continuous damage while hitting a target. maybe add a heat mechanic to them, or better yet, add an increasingly large energy drain and cool off period, to represent the added power required by the heat sinking devices hooked up to the laser emitters. Oh, also...
    2b) Alternate Energy sources!
    I can't understand why there is NO such thing as a solar panel in game. Or why biofuels are usable solely on hand devices without any sort of ability for a fuel tank to accept biofuels. For simplicity's sake, maybe they could be 2-3 fuel points per biofuel pack, although you might alternately or additionally make a separate generator block in bases that provides power via biofuels. And can we have biofuel recipes for corn as well as seaweed? Because they make REAL biofuels from corn...
    3) Vendors who will buy things you produce.
    Money is obnoxious to acquire; a good enemy drop of money is around 100 credits and by no means do all sophont oppositions even drop credits. It takes visitation to gold nodes on hell planets to be able to afford a decent item from a vendor (And the prices, wtf- 20k credits for a ration pack? Five emergency rations are the same cost as a suit of heavy armor?) meaning the new mechanics of having people to buy stuff from is completely wasted. Balance issues are one thing but right now I look in a menu of things to buy and sigh to myself because it's easier to raid a POI and hope for a drop than it is to grind out the money to afford item X, not to mention that money is supposed to facilitate the movement of goods and services, and I literally find it easier to farm up anything that can be bought than gathering the credits to buy it. Which negates the purpose of HAVING someone to buy it from in the first place.
    4) PLASTIC BLOCKS!
    Plastics have... such limited uses in game, especially considering how genuinely useful they are in real life. Plastics are pretty inexpensive as items, they use a fast growing food and literally mining byproducts to become a material but it seems a terrible shame to have so little actual use for them. A couple ideas I'd like to see are:
    Ablative plastic armor blocks: Cheap, durable blocks that can't be repaired and return only a portion of the plastic materials cost when hit with a multitool. In fact, this could be a good way to reduce the glut of materials a single, easily destroyed enemy provides. I can see PVs armoring vulnerable sections with this stuff to make them harder to kill.
    Plastic body armor: No mod slots, no repairs, but a defensive boost and low to moderate durability. Less utility than even light body armor, but completely expendable. Add in T2 and T3 variants for increased armor value and durability, and make it something that can be produced in a mini constructor.

These are all suggestions. I don't demand or expect the above, but they all strike me as ways to make an already awesome game even better, and since you guys actually LISTEN to suggestions and requests (THANK YOU FOR THIS! GENUINE THANKS! <3) I figured I'd leave my ideas on the topic in the thread provided. In closing, let me say: You guys are great and made a great game!

Edit:
    THIS! So much this!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Mr J, Ballard, Skavn and 4 others like this.
  2. Quarior

Quarior Ensign

I would like :
    • Orbit mechanics (for ships and celestial bodies) and centrifugal force
    • Celestial bodies have different rotation period (now, all is 24 hours)
    • Choose the time speed (now, it is in debug but don't save)
    • More type of celestial bodies (stars (neutron star, black hole), planets and moons (gas giant (like Jupiter and Saturn) and ice giant (like Uranus and Neptune), ice world (like Europa, Pluto), desert (like Venus and Mars), selena (like Mercury and Moon), Titan and "city" (no a class a part but the planet or moon have a big city on all the surface)) and artificial object (stars, planets, moons)) and wormholes
    • Galaxies and nebulaes
    • Terraforming
    • We can make O2 without atmosphere and snow (by photosynthesis) and direct in the ship/base
    • Other energy like solar panel, wind, hydrolic
    • More interaction with NPC (help for built and combat and more life) and faction IA (so diplomacy) but some NPC don't have a faction like pirate or nomad
    • We can find/built city, colonize ship
    • We can built alien block/technology but we need to discover this (no by experience/level) (destroy the block in question or found by a discover or interaction with NPC)
    • No speed limit (or limit to 1 c for physical speed) but ship have a acceleration limit

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  3. LinearBurn

LinearBurn Lieutenant

Depends on the server hosting it. The limiting factor is the engine's ability to handle threads.) unity really don't seem to scale very well so the interim solution it looks like the devolper went with is split each playfield on to its own thread while this is good that different areas don't impact the performance of other playfields its trade off is heavily loaded play fields get laggy and don't perform well. to combat that he did interm solutions like mark off transition zones where the "flat" environment loops the playt feild is only rendered 1-2 blocks deep normally unless a structure goes down further or there is a hole etc. TBH its the nature of the beast with the block based system. until a developer figures out how to transition to triangles or something of that nature without killing performance it will remain this way. Its the same with all of these survival games and why you dont see unreal engine being used for these games. Its just one hell of a cpu hoge to track triangles and blocks are a bit easier. (to be fair the engin is kinda tracking triangles in a roundabout way.) Anyways that's my ramble on the subject so don't get your hopes op on game changing features for 7 will probably be more refinement and trying to kill off the more annoying bugs and stuff. and maybe some more content.

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  4. MJL-G4M3P1X3L

MJL-G4M3P1X3L Ensign

When they would made something like the star trek control penels they would have more than Star trek Bridge crew and it would be so awesome

5. Kahrek

Kahrek Lieutenant

First of I would love for there to be a logic driven conveyor system. In my obviously (not) perfect image I see if working something like this.

1. Constructors must now "feed" off of other containers. No more using constructors as massive storage bays. The feeding can follow the same priority as now or be overridden by player logic gates. For example not to use prefab components and use ore ingots for everything.
    2. Players should be able to link one or more containers to each constructors and even link containers to more than one constructor.
    3. Constructors now output to containers. Logic can also be applied to this something along the lines of item X goes to bin A, Item Y goes to bin B and Ammo goes to the ammo boxes. I imagine some sort of priority sorting list with anything not caught by the list being deposited in a default container assigned by the player.
    4. Structures can be set to request items. A concrete example is a minigun turret trying to reload when there is no ammo in the ammo box could be set to request 3 stacks of ammo to be built and delivered to the ammo box. The turret then checks again in a minute or so to see if the ammo is there.
    5. A unified production screen where you could have a list of all your constructors and assign batch jobs that can be automatically broken up to different constructors or assigned to one specific one as desired. I see something along the lines of "Request 1000 large promethium packs" Assign constructors A B & C to the job click start. and the system automatically splits the job between the 3 constructors.
    The second thing I would love to see is blueprint assembly changes.
    1. Player requests blueprint to be built. A holographic display of the BP pops up and the player puts it where it needs to go. A small intractable console is put down on the spot and the player can interact with the console to deposit all the required items into the blueprint interface. Once all production requirements are met the player clicks assemble and the blueprint starts building on the designated spot
    2. Blueprint construction cannot be cancelled once started.
    3. Blueprints should not be invulnerable but they should also be very sturdy to discourage players from trolling another simply by shooting their massive CV with a pistol and stopping the construction. I am thinking the blueprint box should have the same total HP as the end product or at least 50% of the total HP.
    4. Blueprints damaged during production temporarily stop production if damage exceeds 10% of the total BP's HP. Players are required to insert more minerals and materials to fix the BP to continue construction. This can be calculated as a small percentage of the total BP usage. Enough to encourage players in defending their BP construction but small enough so it does not become an easily troll-able mechanism.
    5. Bases and vehicle BPs should have the option to insert fuel and oxygen in the BP so it is ready to go at the start. Ammo is a possibility but see the point below. If this is not done then after the BP is finished the items should have a short invulnerability period to allow the player to fule / arm it before it gets blown up. The invulnerability period should be very short and end the second the power is turned on. This would avoid players trolling each other with temporarily invulnerable SVs
    6. Blueprints should have a minimum construction time proportinal to the total size of the item. No more getting a 1 second CV. Even small blueprints should have an absolute minimum time. This can be short enough, say 2 or 3 minutes but needs to exist so as to avoid player instantly spawning huge bases next to yours.
    Creative wise I would like to see more creative tools like copy / paste for parts of blueprints or the ability to save modules as blueprints and then connect those modules to an existing BP. Want to add a greenhouse to your prefab base, no problem! This would mesh well with my previous suggestions regarding BPs.

Voila, that is my 2 credits worth. Feel free to poke holes in my suggestion, that is how we help make games better :)

Cheers,

Kahrek

*Edit* OMFG typos everywhere.

Triblade and geostar1024 like this.
  6. Kaloriaa

Kaloriaa Commander

1.) More food items. Like Tacos, Cake, Ice Cream, Etc

2.) A Thirst meter because water is important.

3.) Thermal vision goggles not just night vision.

4.) Epic body armor of light, medium and heavy that can only be found. Has double stats and booster slots as the normal armor.

5.) More block textures like carpet or fancy wall paper for the interior options.

6.) Able to sell stuff to npcs not only buy but the sell as well.

7.) Solar power for BA's and CV's.

8.) Tier 3 hand drill with more options then tier 2. When you alter the terrain around your base it be cool to have it replant grass. And with it does a fill mode it matches the terrain texture and color of the ground of the planet your on instead of having the crushed grey gravel look.

9.) More Planets to explore.

10.) It be cool to see crashed cvs on planets and moons able to be restored as a cv in survival without it being a BA. Maby on really hard planets that you already need a CV to get there to begin with. They can't all be bases there got to be some that is still a CV and not a BA. Or perhaps add derelicts that you can find drifting in space if you can fix it the CV is yours.

11.) More local animals ( Wolves, Bears, Deer, Fox, Etc ) some can be hostile some can be tame.

12.) Reworking of structural integrity. I had 3/4's of a base blow up in my face for removing one block and they go flying 10+ meters into the air with a really loud noise then it vanishes in thin air. Instead of blowing up maby have it give warning signs that it is about to give and if it does it should just fall to the ground but material should still not be all lost. When is collapses it should form mounds of scrap metal, wood , concrete that you can break apart to get some of the material that fell back.

13.) A Forge able to smelt components and devices and other stuff back to ingots to be reused perhaps with a little material loss.

14.) Pictures , Paintings, Posters perhaps some fancy wall art like swords, axes and what not to make you home feel more like home. Or perhaps a suit on knight armor to decorate your living room floor.

Skavn and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  7. michaelhartman89

Hopefully our poor survivor isn't from Texas. Tacos are a must! All joking aside, I hope they work on the npc buy/sell soon

Tyrax Lightning and Sofianinho like this.
  8. Jebbus

Jebbus Ensign

OMG this so much! After stripping carriers and the Titan I have so many steel plates that are pretty much useless. Returning them to iron ingots would mean I can use them for other things.

Edit: After some more thoughts, this feature could be added to the current furnace.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  9. Tyrax Lightning

Tyrax Lightning Rear Admiral

I tend to have a BP in the Factory & I stick all those excess Steel Plates & Hardened Steel Plates into there to fill up that BP's Iron, & Iron + Sathium Needs respectively. ;)

banksman45 likes this.
  10. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

I convert most of my surplus plates into pipes; then I can easily read at a glance a 1pipe:1bar ratio and pipes reduce build time a lot more than basic plates.

11. Patwar

Patwar Commander

Yesss !

Possibility of hv docking on SV. We will be able to have modules dockable. (like in Cosmos 1999...)

Mr J and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  12. Skavn

Skavn Lieutenant

One of the first major things I did when I started playing was digging up a crashed CV only to find out that I couldn't get it to fly.
    It was really frustrating. Luckily we were on our own server, so I did some research and edited the savegame to convert it from base to CV... ;)

But it really shouldn't be necessary to do that! If it is as easy as switching out the core then it should also be possible ingame.

Obviously if you can do this on any BA then it shouldn't be able to fly unless you remove any "non-CV" blocks first.

13. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

I would think it be simple to just make a damaged version of cores. These would prevent powering up a vehicle/base except for limited defences. Defences may be reduced in performance. It would prevent the item from being garbage collected. Destroy and replace the core to get it functional. These cores can't be made in a constructor but can be placed in creative. Let others make destroyed Bases and ships for poi spawning.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  14. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Commander

1) Working landing gears and ramps that lower up and down. Not the retractable ramp we have now. One that is hinged.
    2) I would like to see a form of research progression. It would be nice to gather alien items, research them, and then learn how to make things for ships, weapons, food, medicine, etc.
    3) The AI is horrible. The AI needs to be able to shoot in other directions other than the plane they are on. The AI also needs percentage based rolls for hit, crit, reload times, etc to make them more realistic and not just snipers with infinite clips.
    4) There should be a balance of types of materials on planets considering planet difficulty and rarity. There needs to be a reason to search other planets. New resources, new aliens, new POI etc can give us more things to research and thus unlock more in the game as far as tech trees. The harder the planet the better the reward. I would like to see the harder planets have variances of lifestyle as far as how one survives on each. Not every hard planet should be the same. If people had to adapt to living on certain planets not just anyone could fly down and live. Maybe it would be too hot or cold for them. Maybe have some planets extremely dark so you have to have a lot of light, or O2, or some more ways to survive on planets other than a suit. This would help build civilizations and I think encourage trade between those that live on specific planets of rare resources. The game needs some sort of research and discovery I think.
    5) Get rid of completed pocket blueprints. No one should be able to pull items out of their A$$. The blueprint should go down as soon as the crafting process starts. It becomes available where it was placed when it's finished. Until then there can be some sort of under construction placement while it's in progress of being built.
    6) Fix collision so you can't fly through a ship and you take damage if you hit a ship.

15. ITguy1981

ITguy1981 Commander

It would be nice if rock and trees provided cover from gunfire also.

Tyrax Lightning and Jebbus like this.
  16. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Commander

Yeah I always wanted more diversity for planets in terms of ressources, enemy's, flaura, fauna ... it would give us more reasons to travel to other planets, if there's the same stuff on all of them, then it doesn't really matters if we have 10 or 1000 planets: http://empyriononline.com/threads/more-divers-planets-stars-and-races.11004/

17. Arrclyde

Arrclyde Captain

Do you mean a variety of different biomes per planet? Like Desert in the middle and snowy mountains at the pole regions (once they open up)? Hey i am all for that :)

18. Frankyln

Frankyln Rear Admiral

I would love to see the plants have different properties on different planets a corn dog on one planet may be good to eat on another planet poisons.

19. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Commander

Actually I made a thread about that too : http://empyriononline.com/threads/multiple-biômes-per-planet.12575/
    I want different planets, and different biômes on each planet (well at least the Goldilocks planets), I want it all I guess :D

20. Morrigan

Morrigan Lieutenant

While I agree that thematically it clashes a bit with space survival, the truth of the matter is that those "pocket blueprints" are actually your only saving grace to keep you from being shafted by bad luck, especially since the hit system went from shooting bullets to shooting random numbers recently. I don't like the idea of my 61 hour save on Empyrion being rendered useless by being stranded on a hell planet because an unlucky shot cored my lander SV, when said hell planet only has Zascosium, Prometheum, and Gold nodes. Sure, yada yada "game over hur hur" but since you can't actually dodge enemy fire anymore, only move at max speed strafing while hoping for good rolls of the dice, this takes too much agency out of the players' hands. If I'm going to be at the mercy of the RNG, I want to have the option of keeping a pocket shuttle to get off the planet and back up to my CV in orbit where all my resources are. Pocket shuttles are pretty much our best way to prepare ourselves intelligently for hell worlds.

Edit: As a footnote, I love your other ideas.

banksman45 and Tyrax Lightning like this.