Alpha 8.5 - Feedback: Deconstructor

Discussion in 'FAQ & Feedback' started by Hummel-o-War, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Deconstructor:
    - Added deconstructor device to disassemble other devices or components into smaller parts
    [​IMG]

Please note:
    - Deconstructor has 100% return rate
    - Deconstructor will not deconstruct biological items

2. arcticsnowyt

arcticsnowyt Commander

Funny how people are quick to whine and complain when this equipment was introduced at an 80% return rate, yet when it's changed to what they complained about, getting a 100% return, a thank you is nowhere to be found.

I, for one, would like to say thank you! I personally would have used it at 80% but 100% is just that much better.

3. ECubed

ECubed Commander

Thank you very much for the change. We appreciate all the hard work you did preparing the anniversary update.

4. Wolph

Wolph Ensign

Deconstructor is great, however I think you should also limit breaking down fuel cells, right now there's a quazi-exploit where you can dump bio fuel into a tank, bring it back out as a fuel pack and get 5 promethium pellets for each. So no mining of promethium required.
    You can then just create fusion cells, a double your promethium back at the expense of hydrogen.

monktk, Frigidman and geostar1024 like this.
  5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Agreed, though maybe extracted fuel should simply come out as biofuel.

spacefarmer likes this.
  6. Wolph

Wolph Ensign

I wouldn't mind the idea of it extracting unique item. "Charged Plasma" worth 100kWh or something of that nature that is simply for transferring fuel around (a lot easier than 30's). Would have the added benefit of not removing biofuel creation (as easy as it may be).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  7. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I quite like that idea; a standard fuel unit (personally, I'd prefer a somewhat more boring name like "Fuel Capsule"; "Charged Plasma" sounds like it could have other useful uses) that can't be directly crafted would definitely neatly solve the problem. @Hummel-o-War, would this be doable?

Something similar could be implemented for O2 as well.

8. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    That's not really a topic for deconstructor, but because we currently only have ONE fuel system. If we split this up one time, this might change.

Please back to Deconstructor Feedback + maybe open a suggestion thread for the other ideas. Thx ;)

9. Gary Parkin

Gary Parkin Captain

Thank you devs for the Deconstructor!!!! It's an awesome addition.:D

10. Wolph

Wolph Ensign

Yea, convo drifted a bit, but the point was there is still a borderline exploit (IMO anyway) that is directly enabled by the Deconstructor in which a player basically never needs to mine promethium again.

11. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

I didn't say thank you for the 100% change, because I didn't think 80% was bad. So I can neither thank you nor complain ;)

As for the deconstructor itself... I think I laid out my feedback well enough in the internal thread. Its a somewhat useful device... but not really in what I've found a need for. I really want a device that reduces further to ingots... as the problem I'm faced is with this excess pile of 'parts' that I cannot get the resources out of to make the parts I DO want/need.

StyxAnnihilator and Germanicus like this.
  12. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Sometimes before I used the BP Factory to get blocks/ingots, juggling what stuff were made of and put it in. Were also a "trick" some times that mats not needed at all for a BP, ingots would be put in inventory (100% if enough parts). Giving a kind of Deconstruct function. So for me it could still be like that. Else nice with a Deconstructor too.

Could have some % back as difficulty setting. Else you can always toss a % you feel should be the loss, after all then you probably like to grind. :p

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  13. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

The introduction of the deconstructor is welcome by me. I do not remember exactly but it was something I had requested in the past as a sort of Recycler where the player puts blocks in it and get ingots. I do not care if it returns 100% or 20% of components, I will just adjust my play style. I did only one test to see how it works and I welcome the device. :)

14. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

But its a shame it DOESNT give ingots ;)

15. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

Comments about the deconstructor:
    • Deconstructor is a neat idea, works great
    • I do wish that it was allowed on a CV, but I can live with the limitation
    Comments about a furnace, which I consider somewhat related:
    • It is smart enough to "auto-initiate", so it should also be smart enough to not be powered on until something is in it, so the power usage and temperature are lower when not in use
    • Should be able to melt the following back into ingots: steel plate, hardened steel plate, glass plate, erestrum gel, cobalt alloy, zascosium alloy
    • I'd also think you could melt the following, even if somewhat lossy: oscillator, flux coil, power coil
    Other comments:
    • There's no device to process promethium ore rapidly. If a furnace isn't appropriate (too unstable?) then maybe another device?
    • It would be nice to convert between energy types (biofuel, small/large packs, fusion cells, other power packs like multi charge and drill charge). But perhaps this should wait for some type of bigger "energy rework".
    • It takes only 2 iron ingots to make 10 steel plate, but it takes 10 silicon ingots to make 10 glass plates. This balance has always seemed a bit out of whack to me, particularly considering that steel is more than 90% iron, but glass is at most 50% silicon (it contains a lot of oxygen, and usually other elements as well, e.g. boron, aluminum, magnesium)

16. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Promethium seems to be, IMHO, some sort of Coal. You have to grind it to dust and then press into pellets. Melting does not work here.
    You are aware that you "produce" glass in a Constructor and not by melting it? This might be the reason that you use up very large amounts of Silica/Silicon to receive a Glass Plate in the end

17. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

How do you call these?
    Ingots.png

Germanicus likes this.
  18. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

How on earth are you getting those?

I tossed in various devices and basic steel blocks, and all I get is components. Then I try to toss steel plates etc (the components) in, and it just beeps at me 'cannot deconstruct this further'...

Huh?

19. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

Certain things like RCS (T2) will spit out Erestrum and Zascosium ingots, instead of erestrum gel or zascosium alloy. I haven't seen it spit out any other types of ingots.

20. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Weird, ok.

So then it begs the question why can it not deconstruct metal plates and the like ;) If its going to spit out some ingots for some stuff, why not all? Its inconsistent and odd behavior.