Alpha 8.7.1: Back to Unity 2017

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

Failure to keep the user-base appraised of progress is how games die. This is a very bad plan. Eleon has needed to hire a dedicated, paid, community manager for quite some time.

2. Ravis

Ravis Commander

You realize the last update was seven days ago right?

3. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

As the devs have said many times now over every single major update, you will learn more information when they have more information to give you.

Until they have made progress somewhere there's nothing to say. Be patient.

FWIW, I personally think Eleon does an amazing job of keeping us informed of things.

4. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

This is exactly the wrong way to handle such things. Going 'radio silent' and saying 'you'll get info when you get it' is how you kill off a playerbase.

Also, FWIW, I waited a full month before posting this, and I've been with the game since just before Alpha 5. I've BEEN patient. So has everyone else who has been here since before me, and after me.

We are the people who paid for Eleon to even exist.

We. Deserve. Better.

--Brian

malrose1 likes this.
  5. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

Except for the fact that it hasn't been "radio silence" at all. They have chimed in a couple times to say that they have no news yet.

If they have no news to give you, and they have already said as much, then what exactly are you expecting?

They can't give you an update because there's nothing to give.

They aren't going to introduce you to the new features until they have something worthy of reporting.

The worst thing for them to do would be announcing features that they don't even know if they can make them work yet, then have to scrap the idea a week later. Historically people get WAY more butt hurt that way.

6. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

THIS is the thread that's pinned to the front page, so, no. There has NOT been a publicly-facing update since October 31st. Again, more reason to hire a dedicated, full-time, paid community manager.

7. Slipstream

Slipstream Captain

I am sorry you do not understand what a community manager does, nor is it my job to educate you. However, you are wildly off-base, and are missing the point. A good, dedicated, full-time community manager can generate excitement and maintain momentum through these periods of long development. It isn't all about releases and features.

This ends my interaction with this thread. I wish you all a lovely week, and encourage you to have a cupcake or two. :)

-Brian

Andipro, Cleff and malrose1 like this.
  8. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Would YOU pay such a "person" to say: "We have nothing new to say at the Moment but we are working hard on it!"
    or better stick with @Hummel-o-War as he DOES his best to keep us informed!
    Just FOLLOW him and you will receive hints of whats going on in this "UN-informative" times.

9. brecers

brecers Ensign

Developers, tell me honestly, is it worth hoping in the future A-9 for real water physics and hinge blocks? Thank.

10. Andre Merrick

Andre Merrick Commander

Mic Check... 1 ... 2 .... 3... Hello? Haven't heard from you guys in awhile.. hope that means you are furiously working on the next amazing update!

11. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I doubt we'll see hinges any time soon because of the complexity in implementing such a feature (there is quite a bit of physics already that needs attention). As for water physics, if such at thing is even in the pipeline, it likely wouldn't come with the alpha-9.0 release given it wasn't teased earlier.

mR_kAt, Dietrich and brecers like this.
  12. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

They fixed terrain glitches - and that is a big thing for me :D

It is not a 'rocket science' why they are again very quiet, like in previous alpha 8 period - again it is transition to Unity 2018.

Obviously they want & need to jump to that Unity version and that change is bigger and more complex than some other they/we had before. '7 Days to Die' went to similar hiatus in may I think because transition and new stuff needed lots of work & re-work (and people went mame-level crazy in the end waiting), 'Planet Nomads' also had problems and had rollback from U.2018 to U.2017 during the summer with lots of unexpected bugs...

On the other hand - I agree that some important things they need to put out in form of teasers or basic infos even if they don't know when it is going to be ready for release. Most notably changes and new things in relation to planet, star system & scenario making - so that people that are making those things and/or run multiplayer servers prepare and/or stop working on current projects... also similar could be said for dedicated ship builders, save them some time :rolleyes:

rebuilthk47 and elmo like this.
  13. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

Better to promise little and exceed expectations; Hello Games and No Man’s Sky are a good example of what happens when you do the opposite. I think Eleon are being smart not to advertise features that may not be ready for the next release, and not to promise a schedule they might not be able to stick to.

mR_kAt, rebuilthk47, TK85 and 10 others like this.
  14. Nogitsune

Nogitsune Rear Admiral

I don't think it's quite that simple. First off, at this stage, you have to expect everything to change / become incompatible, sooner or later. How long ahead do you think it's reasonable to "plan", and give up on what you're building - because you can't profit from it long enough? Week? Month? Depends on project? For advance notice to make sense, you'd have to also get a timeline - when exactly is the change going to hit? Without timeline it's just something like, "ships are going to get a physics pass that invalidates many builds.... eventually". Does that mean everyone should stop planning ships, and wait for the next 9 months for it? And even if something -does- change relatively soon, people are still testing the features by using them.

If time estimate would be "two weeks", some people would drop their projects because "won't be able to make it soon enough", others would push in a bit more hours to make it ready in a week. If the feature got ready in 8 days, someone might be pretty pissed it came out "too early", and if it took three weeks instead, someone else might get a hissy fit because "I could have made it fine after all". And if the feature was dropped because "didn't have time to make it to this build, because technical issues, but possibly A10", most everyone would be disappointed.

And beyond that, if A8 was any indication, I think we'll get advance notice of the biggest changes, when the time grows closer - and they're actually relatively sure that things -will- be implemented for A9. I think it's just that A9 isn't quite around the corner yet.. more like the beginning of dev blocks about it are getting closer.

Germanicus likes this.
  15. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

All this talk about communication and updates is interesting.

All points being made are in context relative to the rate Eleon issues updates and communicate... so, Eleon are very quick (relative to most other developers) at issuing updates and teasing features. When you compare this against other developers Eleon still looks like a rocket-powered-super-fly. But Eleon are victims of their own success. They have created this expectation of 'speed' to release information so we all hurt a little when it takes longer.

It would be really good to have a dedicated forum/comms person. Are the resources there though? Would you rather those resources be spent on comms or development?

Also, there is still A9 activity if you know where to look ;)
    @Hummel-o-War psoted on his profile on 15/Nov on his profile page "Alpha 9 progressing good. Zirax got new skills and we just added 77 new lines of loca text :D"

Anyone else wondering what 'skills' are?

Arbanax and Germanicus like this.
  16. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I would "skills" translate to the ability to react to changing situations. Like going from attack to defense mode and such.

17. TK85

TK85 Captain

Every time a new alpha is announced it's the same thing.

Eleon makes the ad with some pictures, and then it stays a long time without saying anything.

Here comes a class complaining about the lack of news ...

Here comes another class defending Eleon ....

Then it sucks.

There is also the group that is quiet waiting for news, like me::

homer.gif (498×362).gif

And there's the crowd that just watches, eating popcorn!

18. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Lieutenant

Not anymore!

TK85, Cleff and Germanicus like this.
  19. rebuilthk47

rebuilthk47 Lieutenant

Ooohh. Good tip. Thank you!

20. Gromit

Gromit Captain

I'll start to worry when their alphas take over 12 months to arrive, monthly updates are "Check out our new perk system" or a video dedicated to the new gutter model for houses.

Also, implement flammenwerfers for alpha 9.

mR_kAt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.