Alpha 8.7.1: Back to Unity 2017

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Oct 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I am pleased that they are taking time to properly fix and hunt down bugs before they push something into even the experimental branch. I'm a patient gamer/journalist and appreciate a well polished gem of a game rather one that isn't being well thought out before important changes are being made.

Empyrion needed a pause in development, at the very least, to map out a more efficient future development outline. A reprioritization of which features/mechanics need to be worked first has been long over due. I'd love to see the next patch focus a maximum amount of development time on squashing bugs and making existing functions work (like DSL), rather than adding new features (for the time being).

Also, I'd like to see older concepts and models (like the old fuel system and deployables) be re-evaluated with the latest gameplay changes. If the older system worked better, then it might be time to adopt the older, better functioning models. The older fuel system for example, while it is simpler now to first time users, it is not better IMHO as it did away with a really great diverse fuel system and deployable generators. It also cuts away from immersion as you don't need to interact with each device in your base, you only need a magic menu button (another idea is adding the button later when you reach a certain tech level or build an automated assembly line of sorts to have that kind of automation. Turning off lights and such from a single button in your base makes sense but making goods appear in your inventory like magic from your fridge or fuel from your fuel tank doesn't make much sense until you had robots or conveyor belts to do so).

I also think fauna should be spread out to other planets and unique to certain planets when it comes to making high grade medicine. There is no reason to harvest fauna outside of the starter planet as all you need is right there for now. In the old Omicron/Akura scenario you had to visit at least both of those planets to make top tier rations and medicines. In addition, there is too much available fauna in the given biome (and it should be much sparser) to actually make surviving a bit challenging (or even challenge the player to make a farm in the first place) in a single player game. Maybe the regrowth timer could be increased or a "fauna setting" be added to tweak difficulty.

There was much less fauna in 3.x than there is now. You can survive off of multitudes of harvestable food and herbs without the need to explore much at all. The settings might be good for a multiplayer game but it really is poor for a single player game. There is simply too much with too little challenge or reason to explore.

Cleff and Dietrich like this.
  2. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Based on the alpha 9 teasers we've seen so far, you're going to be disappointed on that front (new drone attack waves, and mass and volume for inventories are two of the big things that were first teased).

I still find the current tank-based fuel system superior to the old slot-based system. Sure, the exact nature of the fuel matters less (though that could be brought back easily via multiple tank types), but the system remains easy to use even as it grows in size (which is important for larger structures).

As far as interacting with remote items is concerned, it would be interesting to have the option to restrict control panel access to physical terminals (perhaps any of the deco terminals, for example).

An alternative might be to turn down the stats on harvested food and herbs (effectively increasing the number needed to make complex meals) on higher difficulties, so that living off the land would become substantially harder. That said, if you're lucky enough to have crash-landed on a temperate planet, then it might very well make sense that you have a relatively easy time of keeping yourself fed. Other planets with non-breathable atmospheres (or no atmosphere at all!) with more sparse flora and fauna would present more of a survival challenge as well.

That said, none of this changes the fundamental fact that players are largely set from a basic survival standpoint once they have a decent base up and running. Sure, there's drone and trooper attacks to worry about, but day-to-day survival needs are taken care of. This phase of gameplay is where I'd argue proper longer-range exploration should take place (with the attendant building of support bases, exploration craft with warp drives and sensor system, etc), but such exploration isn't motivated by pure survival concerns, but by curiosity/climbing the tech tree.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
    Albert, Dietrich, mR_kAt and 2 others like this.
  3. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Commander

i see you trying Eleon, i am watching... you'll do just fine.

mR_kAt and Stuart like this.
  4. Zyrax

Zyrax Lieutenant

Hey folks is there any news about next update? I am a lil' bit worried about sudden interruption of update - rate.

5. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Go to the General Discussion Area, @Hummel-o-War posts Teasers and appetizers:p.
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-9-need-a-bigger-storage-box.46633/
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-9-made-some-new-uncommon-friends.46634/
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-9-greetings-from-the-animation-and-modelling-team.46614/

And keep an Eye on the Experimental Branch too;)

Flash Hendricks, Zyrax and Dietrich like this.
  6. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I'd love to see that implemented. In the pre-alpha teaser, deco items were used as terminals to access things like turrets. The same could be used for other functions of a ship or base. I'd stop however at actual items like cargo box or fridge items. It should be necessary to walk up to grab items from containers now that they have mass. It's one of the reasons why I think the old fuel system might serve Eleon better now that mass will be introduced.

Fixing DSL should be their utmost priority at the moment. At the very least remove it until they can get it to work properly without driving out a large percentage of the player base. Once that is done, they can fiddle with drone attacks with a working DSL system instead of a broken one or else there is no point in adding new drone waves since it will be broken with the current DSL, right?

7. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

A good idea to ponder and I agree with you on the second point. There should be additional survival challenges as you progress to other planets (and reasons other than 2 kinds of ore to go there). :3

I really hope they separate vegetables, grains, and other plants again, as it did make exploring for new fauna in the game more worthwhile. If they don't separate it manually, they should at the very least allow the .cfg file to determine what ingredient an item of fauna drops (so players can revert tomato plants to drop tomatoes again, etc).

Another idea is to design the game to allow different ingredients for a given template with an AND/OR function.

For example for vegetable juice could consume 2 tomatoes OR 2 pumpkins when created but pizza would only accept tomatoes for the sauce, not pumpkins. This logic could be applied to medicines as well. That way admins could alter the difficulty of a server just based on the config file alone and could allow a plethora of mods.

8. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Multi-template recipes are definitely on the to-do list according to @Hummel-o-War; that will enable quite a bit of flexibility that the current single-template system is incapable of providing at present.

mR_kAt likes this.
  9. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

Dynamic structure loading does still have a few quirks, but I'm unsure what you mean by this. DSL has to do with freeing up structures from RAM when not rendered in by a player, it shouldn't have any bearing on drone attacks at all. It's simply a performance booster of sorts. The game used to have to load up every structure in an active playfield, even if they weren't rendered in, this was wasteful.

Could you elaborate more on what you mean by this, and why you think it should be disabled?

Albert, malrose1 and Ravis like this.
  10. Zyrax

Zyrax Lieutenant

11. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Last I checked, plants were dying and player bases were powering down due to DSL. In addition weird bugs were happing due to DSL and drone attacks (drones were attacking an unpowered base in some cases even though it had enough power to still be online). Also fridge items were completely spoiled because the DSL wasn't calculating fuel correctly.

These bugs are a major impairment to gameplay. As such I think the DSL system should not be released yet until those glaring bugs are squashed. Just for the record, I am for the entire concept of DSL (this is a necessary feature in the game) but it wasn't ready to be properly tested yet due to so many underlying bugs. Adding more features without a fixed DSL system will just lead to more problems related to interaction with those new features and the DSL system.

A happy compromise would to keep DSL on the experimental branch and keep DSL off of the main branch. That way people can still play the game without game breaking bugs until it is fixed.

On another note, I notice a performance decrease, not increase between the patches when DSL was introduced. If anything DSL should help performance issues. I don't know why this is the case, it just is. It also could be due to a feature that was added when DSL was released that was unrelated. All I know (for myself and my colleagues that performance has taken a huge hit patch after patch). Results have varied for other players however I hear.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.