Alpha 8.7: Unity 2018 and A9 Preview

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Oct 24, 2018.

1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    [​IMG]
    The above screenshot shows one of the new features we are working on for Alpha 9

Update: October 29, 2018 - Build 1902

Bug Fixes:
    - Fixed: Several internal exceptions found in logs

=================

Hi Galactic Survivalists,

After several small stabilizing updates for Alpha 8.6 over the last weeks, today we released Alpha 8.7 where we upgraded the game engine to Unity 2018. Since it is a major engine upgrade, we had to invest a lot of time making sure nothing breaks. Paradoxically, the ideal outcome would be that you do not see any difference to the last public release version Alpha 8.6.3.

Please report bugs here: https://empyriononline.com/threads/...lay-read-introduction-before-reporting.45695/

CHANGELOG: Alpha 8.7.0 (Build 1899)
    - Upgraded game engine to Unity 2018.1
    - Temporarily deactivated trusted server label
    - Reduced hitpoints of some obsolete blocks to avoid exploits

===

Alpha 9 Preview:

Besides the engine upgrade, our team has been working very hard on Alpha 9. However, at this point, we do not want to reveal too much about Alpha 9 but we can already say it will be a huge game changer!

Alpha 9 focuses on gameplay improvements - unlike the last major releases that focused on architectural changes. We will soon start our "Road to Alpha 9" dev blogs with more details and we are really looking forward to getting your feedback on the different topics.

So far, we just want to tease you with a couple of screenshots (maybe you can already guess on what features we are working):

Feature 1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feature 2:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feature 3:
    [​IMG]

Feature 4:
    [​IMG]

But this is only a small part of the planned features for Alpha 9. Stay tuned...

Yours,

Emp Dev Team

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. Damocles

Damocles Captain

The inventory transfer screen looks interesting and helpful.
    Plus point for including mass as a factor!

3. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Captain

Oh boy, I have to exit the game to get the update. Can we haz ability to update while playing, pretty pleazzzze? I am kidding. By professional experience I know this can only be done on clustering systems. My humble home PC is single node.

Keep up the good work with A9.

Germanicus likes this.
  4. eLLe

eLLe Captain

Damn, it's time for my new 2,000 hours of play.

Sofianinho likes this.
  5. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I'm still waiting for a toggle to REMOVE the annoying Hitpoint Bar above enemy's heads. Please give us the option to do so! New items like this were never asked for by the community and have only received mostly negative feedback. Why keep it in the game? At the VERY least allow us to remove it via .yaml code on our servers. It's another feature "mistake" that I feel will just sit in the game for eons like the other bugs... errr... features that were added in the game since over a year ago.

I'd really like to get some feedback from the development team as to why so many physics problems have yet to be addressed (over a year now) but yet useless things like hitpoint bars seem to be the priority. I'd also like to know why the stubbornness exists to NOT remove a feature when it is added to the game and it is VERY unpopular. This has happened on many occasions and I can only think of maybe 2 that were rolled backed due to overwhelming anger via the community (for example the thruster debacle 6 months ago with ships were turning soooo slow that people threatened to quit enmass if they didn't see the math behind how it functioned... the math was never really explained and thankfully the alteration was removed. It wasn't Newtonian physics after all.) I'd like to see the same for many of the unpopular features of late... for example:

#1 The ability to remove the HP bar
    #2 The ability to change crazy backgrounds and flashing lights for those whom are seizure prone.
    #3 The ability to alter the .yaml to separate food stuff so they don't have to be lumped into one category (like grains, vegetables, fruit) and allow us to choose what plant gives what item.
    #4 The ability to bring back deployable generators back into the game if we wish like hydrogen generators. They were never a problem before and they worked fine. It was the "new" fuel system that broke the usefulness of fuel cells. I'd love to see the old fuel system back, but I think that is too much to ask. A working hydrogen deployable generator (and oxygen one) from old code isn't too much to ask.

When I think of Empyrion, I think of 3 things: Procedural Universe, Sandbox, and Survival Genre.

This was what was advertised to the public when it was in pre-alpha stages and Eleon was looking for backers. By not allowing players to make modifications that can allow players to keep older features they like, you are slowly, little by little, removing the Sandbox aspect of the game. I don't see why most of the data can't be tweakable in .yaml format if it was already coded in another build. By allowing the players to tweak most of the data in early stages you are making it easier for players to add mod support for new features, which opens you up to tons of talent outside of Eleon. This philosophy served Kerbal Space Program very well...

Sorry for the harsh feedback again, but I am really confused what direction this game is going in and with each patch I am liking it less over the past few months.

I DO however like your direction with the upcoming patches, focusing on upgrading the AI, but players need options like crouching and cover to counter the AI as well. The AI's aim shouldn't always hit if it has a line of sight on you like some sort of flak cannon. Error should be calculated into the AI's percentage to hit a target and from how far.

The addition of the effect of mass into the game is greatly appreciated and long over due. I just hope it has an effect on the weight of space craft and also how much a player can hold. Just using it to make players build more cargo boxes shouldn't be the focal point. On a site note, is there any news for bringing back the T2 Fridge or is that concept just dead now and a forgotten "old" feature? Maybe you could also design Food Processors to only hold a tiny bit of food so Fridges are useful again?

I worry too much focus is being lumped into multiplayer and not enough into singleplayer. Yes, multiplayer is a big draw, but in the beginning most players play a huge chunk of time single player mode to learn the game before trying multiplayer (some never try multiplayer as well as they don't find competition fun). If their single player experience is a bad one, chances are they will ask for a refund on the game early on. In addition, a player would assume if a single player mode is not balanced and functioning, then the multiplayer would be even worse (balance wise). Just something to think about...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  6. Sofianinho

Sofianinho Captain

Mass & volume: brace yourselves, judgement day is upon us !

Transferring inventory between structures and vessels will be a life changer.

Sephrajin, Cleff, Bigfeet and 6 others like this.
  7. Damocles

Damocles Captain

I guess they will be kind of necessary once the creatures have levels. As then the player will have less experience on how many hitpoints they can absorb at a given level.
    The bars should nevertheless be only visible once the critter was hurt. And should have the option to disable them.

Zeronox, Albert, Cleff and 6 others like this.
  8. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

NPC Factions, Sweet

TK85 and Sofianinho like this.
  9. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I just hope the game doesn't turn into a RPG...

If I start doing damage with my bullets BASED on my level and little numbers pop up off of NPC heads, I'm done lol. At that point the game is no longer a survival game and it might as well be called Dungeons & Planets

Slimer, Ronin94 and Grandirus like this.
  10. Damocles

Damocles Captain

"Leveled creature" systems are a classic approach to extend gameplay and playerprogression. Empyrion suffers from the player getting overpowered at one point (asset inflation without enough drains), so this looks like a mechanic to offer challenges later in the game. Also making certain planets and locations have a barrier by populating them with high level opponents.
    The player then always has the wish to gain access to higher level items and devices as the game progresses.

-> A drain to counter asset inflation can be incrementally higher costs for devices, equipment, upgrades and weapons. (item quality levels)
    Or the ai actually able to destroy the players property. (in battle or attacking the base effectively, repair costs)

Sofianinho likes this.
  11. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Captain

I think there is a huge performance improvement in this build. I do not mind to see the game change into a RPG, or at least have enough RPG feature to keep it fun. I think the developers do not change things that easy because they have a vision about how Empyrion should be so they have future plans to develop it likewise.

I believe they will keep the balance to acceptable levels so everyone will be pleased. We need goals. Either missions, i.e. find and kill x level creature, or get character improvements per percentage factor while leveling i.e. in food consumption, health level increase and cold endurance etc.

What we also need is a reward system like XP is now but extended to sustain playability and time endurance.

The game is still being developed, so people should stop whining and complaining. This game is not being developed for one type of players but for many.

SilvRav, kat, Castrell and 5 others like this.
  12. mouflon77

mouflon77 Ensign

For dedicated servers is it a full wipe? someone has said only playfield wipe but i take this to mean full wipe. Great Work to the devs btw! love what i have seen so far!

13. Hellion

Hellion Commander

I can't wait for that. right now we have way too many talent points but i think thats only for bug testing purposes. once the game is more fleshed out we're probably only going to have enough to go down a tree or two. you'll have to rely on other players or NPC trading to get all the stuff you can't craft yourself. could be fun to corner the market or be your faction's main ship designer. I love having all the HP bars and such on my HUD too. that really makes it feel sci-fi since you're armor or helmet would probably show you all that stuff. maybe it'll turn off if you take off your helmet.

14. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

Looks to me that 'BLOOM' is again out of control... that lighting effect is for me again just too much over the top (like we had before, before it was toned down) - so I just had to turn it off (I even think it was better few days ago in experimental, but I could be wrong).

I don't use 'reflections' and some of the other advanced effects, because they can drag down FPS and I'm on mid-range comp. - but ATM 'shadows' on LOW or HIGH now don't make your FPS drops significantly. Frames in general goes up or down without some standard/usual gaming reasons, so I guess in next couple of builds with some fixing & optimizing of new Unity '18 we could get more leveled performance.

... and I hope @EleonGameStudios is going to finally fix problems with refreshing terrain very soon :)

BTW, for new feature no.4 you MUST add several new 'half-blocks' types (like tubes we already have) that could be used for 'fake-connectors' and transporters of goods & stuff!

15. Ex3me-1

Ex3me-1 Ensign

Как я рад предстоящим обновлением Альфа 9. наконец то будет реализована объем / масса ( надеюсь это скажется на динамике кораблей - перегруз и т.д. ) Чем больше сложностей в игре и механик, тем игра становиться более популярна и долгоиграющая. Слежу за обновлением Альфа 9 !!! Так держать!!!

16. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

Will Alpha 9 require freshly generated YAMLs to get the new features?

17. chrisrockolee

chrisrockolee Ensign

The increasement of rendering efficiancy! OH MAN that's really comfortable!

18. The Hashtronaut

The Hashtronaut Commander

Cool beans.....Waiting for Alpha 9
    I am curious to what's going to happen

"Will there be a option to turn this off ? "

I mean its basically a "easy mode" for spotting things
    Like using the MutiTool to find trap doors in POI's and spawners
    Maybe that can be a setting..

19. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Looks like the horde is coming.

... but I wish they would also implement the player drone enhancements I suggested a while ago.

20. FRAGaLOT

FRAGaLOT Captain

Holey crap.. Logistics?????!!!!???

Sofianinho and geostar1024 like this.