Alpha 9.0: Out Now!

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Dec 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banksman45

banksman45 Rear Admiral

THANK YOU for the freedom game mode!!!! I believe freedom mode should be the new creative mode because that is exactly what a lot of us wanted to see in creative mode. I can't wait to start building in freedom mode. As for the rest of Alpha 9, on exp it did take some getting used to but I like the changes. Can you tell us what features are in alpha 9 part 2 or give us a hint? I had no idea that there was a part 2

2. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Excellent move!

Get a wider range of people testing (because let's not all forget, that the stable branch is still testing in an alpha) and giving feedback.
    A9 is shaping up to be a massive game changer already. Be proud of what you are achieving! Can't wait to see what else is on the horizon.

Go have a break and enjoy the holidays!

banksman45 and Sofianinho like this.
  3. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks for the update.

Query: If "Epic" weapons are back, replacing enhanced weapons, and we cannot craft them, what are weapon kits for?

I am actually quite surprised by this change, considering the back and forth discussion that occurred before finally settling on the prior Enhanced Weapon implementation. I thought that worked really well as you had to find parts (weapon kits) before you could craft something. Plus you needed to be able to craft, or have found, the base weapon beforehand.

I do think being able to "Mod" weapons via kits is a good way forward still...I'm already thinking a reduced recoil mod might be useful lol.

Scoob.

4. TK85

TK85 Captain

I can never update my BPs before launching the new alpha .... this time it was almost!

For now I only continue in Creative mode until I finish! As much as the finger scratches to start a new adventure ....

Germanicus likes this.
  5. paxxo1985

paxxo1985 Commander

You are a genious! Cool idea!
    Yeah lets use weapon mods for actually modding top tier weapons like armors with slots!
    from 1 to 2 mods applicable.

Long barrel for longer range
    Short barrel for shorter range and greater firepower
    Extended mag
    Less recoil grip
    Faster reload times

and so on

TK85 likes this.
  6. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

A quick comment about this image...
    As a promotional image new people may think that this is artistic style of the game and be disappointed or confused when it doesn't look like this in game. The game also plays differently from how this image makes me feel it should play. I'm getting no sense of scale from this or any indication of the many excellent features of the game. For example, building is a very important part of this game and there is only 1 true structure which is off to the side and barley seen. I do no count the SV/CV in the air or the HV/SV on the ground as these look like static models, not custom built - which may be another effect of the art style.

In fact, NMS and similar games come to mind when I see this. Empyrion has it's own visual style that just isn't coming through.

Don't misunderstand me. The art is fantastic! I would love a high-res version for my desktop background :D:D:D ;)
    I just don't think it is right to use it to promote the game.

7. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I expect I'm far from the first to suggest such things. But yes, how you describe it was basically what I was thinking. We'd need a "Weapon Bench" to apply the mods in a similar way we need the suit locker for our suit.

Scoob.

Frigidman, Spirit_OK and jlego like this.
  8. jlego

jlego Captain

Remember that discussion we had several versions ago about the upgrade kits, where nobody liked that they were needed for T2 weapons? Yeah, about that... (no, it wasn't in the release notes for this or the experimental versions, but I've just checked and upgrade kits are for T2 weapons again. And no, I still don't like it now any more than I did then, for much the same reasons - iron sights on the T1 weapons doesn't change it).

Wellingtoon and elmo like this.
  9. jlego

jlego Captain

I actually like the way Fallout 4 does it (don't know about 3 or New Vegas, I skipped those and went straight from 2 to 4). You still have to find the scrap, and you need to make or find a weapon workbench, but it means you can customise your weapons to your playstyle. And you can still find legendary weapons on enemies or for sale at vendors. I think a system like this could be adapted for EGS (though obviously not in the same way, because FO4 and EGS are quite different games).

elmo, TK85 and Germanicus like this.
  10. Cleff

Cleff Captain

I agree. I think it is a little too far of a stretch with regards to how the game presents itself and how it plays out. It's a real nice piece of concept art but just doesn't reflect the game well. My hope is that the devs aspire to make the game similar to the feeling that comes through this art.

It still is cool to see a lot of the same structure pieces, deco, textures, and whatnot in a different form. The only gripe I really have is with the people. They are nothing like our current models; they have nicer more realistic looking armor and are manipulating weapons in a way that we can't right now.

11. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Urgh! We're back to that crap for just T2 weapons. A very unexpected choice. I'd have been ok with T1 + T2 Craftable, T3 as the modified T2 with better stats and Epic as a rare find. It does seem like a very odd step backwards to me, especially considering all the feedback when weapon kits were first introduced and the, I thought, really nice balance that came out of it.

Yeah, I quite liked FO4's system as well, perhaps a little too in-depth for Empyrion, but a "light" version of that using existing game mechanics to implement where possible would work. I.e. get a weapon kit for a pistol and use it to craft a mod which can then be added via the "weapon bench".

To be fair, I'd expect to find some T2 weapons and never have to craft most of them, but that's not really the point. If you want to play without looting - which is of course potentially a lot more tricky now - losing the option to simply craft T2 Weapons is a definite step backwards.

I'll say it again, a very very unexpected change and I really don't understand the thinking behind it.

Scoob.

Wellingtoon and IronCartographer like this.
  12. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

Do you remember a couple major releases ago when Eleon made it so weapons kits were required for T2 weapons along with some T1 weapons?

Well.... They did that again. We can no longer craft any worthwhile weapons again without raiding countless POI's or purchasing kits from traders.

I don't feel that 9.0 was remotely close to being ready for stable branch. It's too late now. We never even had a chance to test the patch last night since it was never pushed to Steam for some reason.

jlego likes this.
  13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yes, I just saw @jlego's post on the subject...are they pushing towards Traders do you think? Looting is off the cards - to a degree - for a certain play-style.

Scoob.

14. jlego

jlego Captain

Agreed. No idea when that change was made because of the issues I've been having with the game (barely been able to get out of the starter biome). I'm surprised that nobody seemed to notice it in experimental.

Yep, to have the system that FO4 has would need a lot that just wouldn't fit in EGS (like the ability to pick up scrap like coffee pots and desk fans). But something approaching it like you describe would be a huge improvement over what we have.

Me neither. Really not a fan (can you tell? ;) )

TK85 and elmo like this.
  15. jlego

jlego Captain

It really did feel rushed. I was expecting the 9.0 release to be after the new year, and I was okay with that - I'd prefer to wait and have the showstopping bugs fixed. As it is, there are a lot of people with CoQs and other issues that have been hanging around since it was in experimental, and that would likely have been fixed in an RC.

Thundercraft likes this.
  16. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

Am I the only one who's disappointed that, now, only one - temperate or arid - starter planet is being generated?

Q: Could I modify solarsystemconfig.yaml so that it would once again generate both starter planets? If so, what would be required?

Also, are there any plans down the road to have an easy-to-use interface to customize the solarsystem without having to touch a YAML file?

Did we used to be able to dock CV to CV in previous versions and I just didn't know about it? o_O

But, yeah, that would be very useful! I hate the idea of having to either leave a small CV behind on or near a planet or disassemble it for parts and materials just to rebuild it on or near a different planet. I want a small CV for mining or POI raiding/disassembly and I'd like to be able to take it with me when I move.

17. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Sigh. There's still enough issues with the logistics system that this should have stayed in exp for a few more days at least.

18. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

Outstanding effort Eleon !
    Very refreshing update.

19. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator
    Staff Member

:rolleyes:

20. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Whoah, wait, what, this went to live branch already??

Doh.

er... I mean... uh... congrats(?).

Sorry, but what was going on internally, I didn't think this was near release for at least another two weeks.

jmcburn and geostar1024 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.