Alpha 9.1: Bug Fixes and Improvements

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

I would do that if I was making a suggestion, but I don't know how to do that when I am intending to reply to someone else's comment, and make sure they see it and people can follow the conversation. That's why I replied here.

One general "forum bookkeeping" issue that makes this worse (in my opinion) is that there are topics about certain things (e.g. "A9 - Freedom Mode") but there is not a general feedback thread for new releases (e.g. "A9 - General Feedback"). So what happens is that these announcement threads turn into that, accidentally, because no one knows where to stick that sort of general feedback about a release. I know there is a "General" thread but it does not feel like the right spot to talk specifically about a new release. Not to mention "General" is sort of cluttered and it is so huge it is not clear the devs read it. That's why people comment here.

If the desire is to clean this up, then I think going forward with each release there should always be at least one feedback thread for each major release which is NOT topic specific, but is for "other feedback" (whether praise or criticism) and then the announcement / patch thread should be locked, with a link to the feedback threads.

Just a thought.

2. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

After trying it out... so far learning it was confusing but I do like the fact that mass and volume have been finally added to the game. I hope the "WiFi" system is just a placeholder until you think of something else to call it, or some sort of way to explain in scientific terms how it works or people will be greatly confused with the name of the tech and the current 21st technology.

Why not have a "transporter" block inside of a ship near a cargo box and call it a portal or teleporting system? WiFi is just really misleading. I also agree with others in the placement of the logistic screens. They should be left to right instead of the other way around.

I'd like to see the Deco (console) have the same function as the control panel. Currently being able to access the "control panel" of a ship or base by simply stepping on a piece of it is just odd when you have switches in the tech tree to do that kind of work.

If you want to the opposite route, and you DO wish to make the entire base accessible with a single key stroke, it should be from everywhere (not just in contact with the base). One would assume that technology would work from anywhere on the planet (linked to a comms unit on your suit). You would just be prohibited from moving items in and out of the base due to the range and power of a transporter device (by the way, I think the "WiFi" should drain the base's power when used.

Nice work however, I hope we can crouch sometime soon and build a fire! ;3 I'll also keep bugging you about re-introducing lights upon weapons as a system of weapon upgrade/modification would be a nice feature and could work similar to the armor upgrade. Lights on weapons (and not on your suit) added to suspense and game immersion (which is good for any survival game) in earlier versions I feel.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Runeshadow and SacredGlade like this.
  3. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

A secondary question on logistics... Will the placement of cargo containers, fuel tanks, generators etc, matter in the future?

I could see a system where cargo containers could only be accessed fully if they were touching each other and linked. You could form an assembly line from smelter to constructor to cargo container. The same could apply to fuel tank placement---------->Generators---------->Engines.

Wire blocks or pipe blocks could connect vital systems to each other. It would also encourage players to guard such lifelines with extra armor if they don't want a specific area of the ship taken out or crippled. I can see this idea working for Bases or Capital Ships. It might be hard with SVs or HVs however, given the lack of fractionary block sizes like 1/4th sizes.

4. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

It would be great to have this for SI and Tech tree, and include them in gameoptions.yaml so it is persistent when you load a save. :)

5. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    That's why we do not call it "WiFi" but "Logistic Network" ;)

mR_kAt, IronCartographer and SifVerT like this.
  6. Hellion

Hellion Commander

Now that we've got modular containers I'd like to ask if Eleon has plans or would consider other modular components. A modular warp drive could be cool. bigger warp could take you farther and consume more power. Also modular thrusters could be a thing. You could make thrusters shape themselves depending on how they're connected. for example an exhaust thats as wide as the back of the ship if its all connected together.

Also still dying for the ship handling rework. PvP ships shouldn't be so large. PvP engagements take too long with these ridiculous massive ships. they have too much survivability since the diminishing return on turning and thrust power is negligible.

7. Vordrak

Vordrak Ensign

Maverick241 likes this.
  8. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Not quite.
    I, too, thought it was like you descripbe, but in my recent game with mass / volumes restrictions applied i had to note, that mass has a meaning now. The HV i used to loot the crashed CV right over there did not move at all. I was about to write a bug report, when i looked over the statistics page: my little, agile HV now had a whopping mass of just short of 1 kt... it was completely unable to lift from the ground, and the acceleration in any direction (about 15m/s^2 when empty) was down to: zero! No unlimited loot, in the opposite: You have to think twice of what you want to pick up.
    So i learned to take the mass of things into account - moreover: I have to redesign my HVs from the scratch. First, they need more and stronger hover engines. Second, and much more important: I will have to balance them out over those engines for empty as well as loades state, and anything between. I got no convincing idea for a concept of this, yet.

9. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

Yes, the vehicle you stuff things into has to have sufficient cargo capacity and thrusters to loot. My point was more that you can magically loot directly into a ship from the lowermost level of the Abandoned Drone Base or whatever, and that seemed questionable to me. Not a big deal in single player, but in multiplayer, for example, if you're the first person to find a certain loot container you could ninja all of it almost instantly, even when there's no realistic way you could carry the contents in one trip.

I realize that currently multiplayer tends to be limited to either co-op, or PVP ship battles, so competitively snatching loot isn't an issue today, but this may eventually be a balancing problem. Loot should be limited to either what you can carry, or have a requirement like you have to core the base and set up a logistics network antenna (which would give a competitor an opportunity to knock out the core and stop you, at least). And transfers may not be instant, e.g. maybe they should be limited to a certain amount of mass per second. Not sure, but it seems like there's a balance issue.

mR_kAt likes this.
  10. IronCartographer

People have suggested a logistic network (teleportation) jammer device for POIs, similar to how multitooling and construction is/was restricted in certain places. Being forced to rely on personal inventory until you can take out the jammer (or outright coring the POI) makes sense and would be a good balancing option, especially since it could be done per-POI as another optional target aside from the core / power systems (not ammo since POIs don't rely on ammo boxes at all...).

11. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I don't know... I just find the whole idea of items teleporting into a cargo hold (right from your finger tips) sort of odd. In theory one could construct a vacuum device and just loot an entire field of fauna via logistics. Why do you have to "touch" the item for it to teleport? The concept just seems weird, that's all.

I'd rather love to see a hover dolly follow the player that requires power but has a hefty storage amount. Lighter items could be stored in your backpack. All of the other things about the new logistics I love, just not the "teleporting/looting" part, even if it is in your own base. I never liked being able to use the control panel to access everything as well but that is just my mentality from playing far earlier versions of Empyrion. I grew to like the immersion that the new versions took away to some earlier aspects of the game.

Ever since the public play for free patch in 2.x, constructors were automated and made components (you no longer had to do it by hand), the exception was the Advanced Constructor. They then changed that to only have the portable survival constructor run in a manual manner. Now, it is automatic.

I was always against that idea but today my mind has been changed now that logistics have been added. I see a reason now for them to be automated since it is built like an assembly line and requires it to be so. I don't see the reason however why items need to be teleported inside the ship however... yet. Maybe in the future it will be required for some new yet undisclosed feature (I wish Eleon would disclose them so we would understand the concept a bit more but I digress...), however I can see much better solutions for moving items about (a hover dolly was just one example... a player could wear a exo-skeleton that could move/hold larger items as another example).

Is this "teleportation feature" just a placeholder for now or is it a done deal and will be a part of the game now for good. I can see a lot of exploits with this new feature, not just in multi-player.

Sephrajin likes this.
  12. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

They should rely on them... fair is fair. ;3

Maybe once those bases can construct their own ammo that should be added.

On an unrelated note, is there any change that "teleporting" items could draw large amounts of power? It would justify the existence of a teleporting array and allow players to choose their method of transfer if they wish to do it by hand and save on power. Just a thought. :3

13. IronCartographer

I like the idea of a more dynamic approach to the power consumption from the cargo boxes, as the idle power for certain devices is already rather absurd. I'm very glad, for example, that we can disable drills (including t1 HV drills) now. Meanwhile, RCS power draw should be more dynamic and actually increase.

For modular container power specifically though...discussion here: https://empyriononline.com/threads/cargo-units-and-their-powerconsumption.47018/

14. Maverick241

Maverick241 Commander

The exo-skeleton sounds not bad.
    Maybe this is possible with an upgrate of the suite. You can upgrate your suit and a higher upgrade means you can carry more.

When you don't want to use so upgrade modules, maybe you can make them combineable, to make a better upgrade. To combine them you need maybe gold or rare ores, so it is not so cheap.

Combine them would be also very interesting for the other updates, because the slots are limited.

15. IronCartographer

Exoskeleton/power-armor style upgrades for your suit would be pretty great, and fitting. Yes.

One might argue that it's time for new AI-driven survival challenges, and pairing new challenges with new solutions ... well that's just fundamental game design. :D

Adding a new tier does raise balancing concerns, however..especially in multiplayer.

mR_kAt likes this.
  16. Christianholmes

Christianholmes Captain

are the planets every going to fell more populated? I mean wildlife. When A9 first released I got attacked by spiders exiting the pod. "Wow, this is great". There would be those red butt spider things by base at night, and sometimes raptors. And then all of a sudden there's a "reduced animal spawns" or something. WTF. Why? Is this no longer a survival game? I can stand in my base and NEVER see a hostile creature. Ever.

Especially at night I'd love them to spawn around my base, in larger numbers so I have so reason to even put walls up.

mR_kAt and Ravis like this.
  17. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I noticed a new option on cores in creative mode: destructable. It doesn't seem to have any effect on POIs yet though in the tests I did.

Does this mean in the future we can use NPC admin cores to add custom loot or ammo (for enemy controlled player turrets) to our POIs and check the "destroyable" option so that the entire POI is able to be damaged?

18. Moonsugar

Moonsugar Rear Admiral

Ah, i see. Sorry, the subtleties of multiplayer usually are beyond my horizon :)
    But, yes, the "magic" of the new system is something (while i can live with it) that could desingned... hmm, nicer. for example, i would like to see, that you have transport drones at you command. Different payload, different reach, different speed - maybe, even some weapons for self-defense for the extra long-range types, dependend on tech level. And, of course, dependend on costs. If they are not free any longer (regarding mass, volume and ressources demands), they could be made more precious. This would resolve your looting problems as well as my suspension of belief.

Ahhh... even if this (or something like this) was planned - i guess, its a long way ahead.

mR_kAt likes this.
  19. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

I think the problem is that the icon you used is basically the international symbol for WiFi. As long as you use that icon, someone is going to call it wifi, you can't get away from that.

I'm actually not sure whether the association is bad or not. It depends on the future concept for what the connection is. Is this specific to logistics network, to let you transfer stuff only? Or is being "connected" to a base or ship also potentially let you access its control panel, automation features, cockpit, turrets, etc?

If this is specifically about transferring stuff, then it seems like it should have an icon that represents moving stuff, like a little box with bidirectional arrows or something like that.

mR_kAt, Cleff and IronCartographer like this.
  20. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I agree, however, I'd like creatures that actively attack you only appear at night on starter planets (unless it is in odd biomes like radiated), otherwise players will get mobbed on the first day with only a survival tool.

The ability to build a campfire that would keep away hostile unintelligent "night" creatures would be nice as well. It could just take some wood and fiber and it could act in place of the portable A/C generator at the start of the game (at least on starter planets like Akua, which don't have heat waves and do have oxygen in the atmosphere).

Christianholmes likes this.