Alpha 9.2 Bug Fixes and Improvements - Part II

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Jan 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK85

TK85 Captain

I had problems with the drones when I tried to summarize a game started in version 9.0 in version 9.1.
    They were two problems: one is the one that describes, the drones only appeared when I approached a lot of them, after they appeared, they worked normally. But it happened a few times.

The second, which occurred frequently, was that they did not move and did not explode after the hit points were over, "they were dead in the sky." :p:D

When I attacked the Drone Base, in which several drones are launched, the game crashed and fell to the desktop. After that I could not even carry it anymore, always drop to the desktop.

I did not have time to start a new game after this :(, so I do not know the current status of the drones.

2. Zyrax

Zyrax Lieutenant

Nicely done guys! I hope you will complete all this faction stuff, so factions can war between each other, capture POIs and planets maybe. Also guys, please don't lose your attention from playfield improvements (seas for example have nothing to do in them, caves and underground POIs would be great as hell!). I hope you will do this guys. Keep it up!

3. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Lieutenant

Letting the devs make bad decisions without saying anything doesn't help the game or fellow players. The devs didn't even follow their own standard procedure with the 9.0 release. Address the points I made don't just cry. If they aren't going to at least pretend to keep the stable branch stable it needs to be removed so there is no false expectation.

4. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Commander

While you make some valid points, the tone of your posts undermines that. Whether you're right or not you won't be effective at communicating your opinion and convincing others to make the changes you want if you're insulting them. I think you're right that the main branch should be kept more stable so that people can actually have a decent experience playing the game rather than testing it.

The early access designation does serve as a sort of disclaimer that things like this can happen so they technically didn't do anything wrong but the reason I think they should keep things stable is because it's important for them to maintain and grow a community of supportive players so they stay funded and relevant. If things become too volatile in the main branch then people will get frustrated and rage quit. They won't come back and they'll steer others away in the future. Keep the brand spanking new stuff in experimental where the more tolerant players and those interested in testing can get to it but the more casual players won't see it until things have been more refined. This also prevents bad habits from developing in terms of release stability which will be more important when the game is actually released.

I would also advise them to make it the norm to retain a branch for the last full alpha every time and to make it available prior to a release. That would allow server admins to switch to this branch and not automatically receive the new release. Once people have time to prepare and major issues are sorted out, they can switch to the latest. Bugs will still be found and whatnot but there should be far fewer infuriating scenarios for players with this sort of release process in place.

Also, I'm curious if Eleon uses any sort of test framework to help prevent regressions and ease the human testing burden.

5. IronCartographer

Previous versions are available all the way back to Alpha 6, and there's even a significantly older version for nostalgia's sake.

Having previous versions available doesn't change the fact that most people will use the default release and base their feedback on that. If there are bugs, and known issues that were reported in experimental but not fixed before being pushed to the default version, then...well... no comment. :p

Seems 9.x is reaching a decent place now at least. :)

6. emt56399

emt56399 Ensign

My contentions is that there have been ZERO fixes actually made to the game. The players on my server, myself included are seeing the same bugs today on 9.2.whatever 1/22/2019 as we did in mid december of 2018 on 9.0.4. I have submitted support tickets via email and also on their thread and have had no one address the issues. In Fact, Eleon just pushed out more junk and called it an update and said the issues were fixed.
    I have hours of streamed evidence that so called fixed items are affecting the game still.
    Since there was not even a form response to their support tickets I've ceased putting them in because they are not being dealt with anyway.
    I understand the meaning of an Alpha game but at the same time, Eleon and Steam had no issues taking my money. Having a game thats been in paid alpha for years is wearing very thin. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_access
    For the devs to not address player issues through their own support mechanism is not promising.
    The game has potential and could make a fair bit of money for the studio if they had competent management.

7. Atola

Atola Commander

Lol - I was just stating what is.

But yea, A9 was rushed.

If you want really really stable... use the Alpha 8 build. Its available from steam.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    IronCartographer likes this.
  8. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

You can even rollback to version 1.x and 2.x with the help of steamdb. ;3

I'd advise players to check out some of the older versions to see what things were removed. There were some really good concepts back then that got the axe (that would work well in current builds now).

9. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

@Hummel-o-War and @Taelyn
    As I am currently on an involuntary Break from EGS - health wise - can you tell me an estimate when A9.3 will hit?
    Thank You!
    Keep up the pace of implementing new things - the big Bug clean up can start afterwards - when all is together;):D

10. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    hm difficult to awnser but I take it around the end of the month.
    Dont quote me on it ^^

TK85, Maverick241 and Germanicus like this.
  11. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Just my 2-bits about experimental and stable.

Firstly, IMO we are very lucky to have such regular and content filled updates. Not just the major updates but the bug fixing and random content changes, so thanks to the Devs for these.

I believe the drawback to having such regular releases is that this creates an sense of urgency to release the next update - big, small, content, bug fixing, etc - as long as something is released.

If you look at the major releases they come out every 6 months or so (sometimes longer), so we are lucky if we get 2 major updates in a year.
    These updates are always followed by a stream of bug fixing and tweaking - a direct result of the major update being released. The public release of a stable version is important here as the experimental branch is a small sample group of the player base.

Stable release = more testers = more feedback = more bugs found and features refined.

My only suggestion would be to manage the expectation of updates. For example, set dates could be implemented for releases and previews. Such an example is given below:
    • A major update is released every 8 months.
      • Experimental is released 1 month prior to stable
    • Stable.X versions are released once a month after the main release (where required)
    • Bug fixes and tweaks are released once a week (for example, every Friday) after a stable launch (where required)
    • Spoilers are given for a major update/ feature 2 months before release (1 month before experimental)
    Whatever the actual time periods are, the key point here is that items are not delayed or rushed. If a feature isn't ready for a major release then it is is pushed back to a stable.X release and the major update is released without it. If there are changes or bugs to fix then this waits for the weekly update. If an update or release is due but nothing is ready then whatever is ready is pushed out.

This way people will know, or can be told (and thus expectations managed) what to expect.
    There are always expectations of course, like major game-stopping bugs that need quashing and the need to communicate other things.

These are of course only opinions I have formed and I have no idea how the specific development cycle or the developers work or the the pressures (self imposed or community driven, real or imagined) they have are under... and to be honest I doubt there are many on this forum that do.

Whatever happens, keep up the good work peeps!

vscuorzo and TK85 like this.
  12. TK85

TK85 Captain

This.

nexus_absolute likes this.
  13. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Lieutenant

I don't care I only play experimental I have no horse in the experimental vs stable game other than the fact that everytime they rush a buggy build to stable it drives away players expecting Stable to be stable making it that much more likely the game will get bad reviews, people will not buy it anymore and development will stop.

14. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

Normal "alpha" terminology does not apply to a game that has been publicly accessible (and purchasable) for over 3 years. The expectations of the gaming lay-community are that the stable branch will be... stable. Skipping experimental branch to go straight to stable with the early versions of alpha 9 definitely was detrimental to the player experience, and thus to the player numbers. It was practically inexcusable. It should have stayed experimental much, much longer.

Too many devs try to have their cake and eat it too, when it comes to early access and "alpha" status (Space Engineers was particularly brazen about this, having anniversary launch parties while they were still "technically" in early access). Here's a hint - if you're already at the point in your business cycle where you have to offer 50% discounts during steam sales, you are definitely no longer in the "alpha" portion of your game's cycle - in fact, you're nearing the end of the game's life.

And that's my biggest fear for this game - that by the time it gets all the content that the devs and die-hard players want, it'll be dead. Everybody who will have ever wanted to buy the game will have already done so, played it, and moved on. All while it was in "alpha."

So, yes, maintaining the integrity of the "stable" branch is crucial if you want to maintain a playerbase.

IronCartographer likes this.
  15. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Get off the "alpha this" "alpha that" nonsense. Its off topic, and beaten to death by people who have nothing better to do with their lives.

16. GasBandit

GasBandit Commander

We will, as soon as fanboys stop hiding behind the Alpha shield to excuse bad development practices.

17. Archimedez

Archimedez Ensign

Yeah I've been encountering this, more so in 9.1 and 9.2. It's pretty easy to reproduce. When the 'base drone attack' warning is sounded, travel a decent distance away from the base (and not in the direction from where the drones spawn), waste enough time that the drones should be at your base (check your auto-miners, water gens, etc), and head back. As soon as you come into rendering distance of your base, the drones pop-in, and are doing damage. Normally, if I'm at the base during a drone attack, the drones don't get anywhere near the base, being taken out by the turrets at range. With the pop-in, the drones are on top of the base, doing damage and it takes a moment for the base to 'realize' that the drones are there and start defending the base. I now have to ensure I don't leave the base until after incoming drones have been taken out. In my current instance, the first time it happened I lost the whole side of my base, so it can certainly be disheartening, knowing I had the defenses, but they were afk lol.

TK85 likes this.
  18. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

As well as jackholes stop coming up with nonsense saying the development cycle of Early Access should be completely ignored.

Get off it. No one cares.

19. grg3d

grg3d Lieutenant

Hi Is anyone else getting shot threw POi's walls?

Kilndown and Itchy Stank like this.
  20. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

@Archimedez - I've not actually triggered Drone attacks yet, I'm just encountering Drones in the wild that are constantly seem to spawn in right on top of me, yet actually appear to be there (and able to shoot me) but just not rendered.

Flying around in a squishy CV used to be fairly safe, as you could choose to avoid Drones. However, when said Drones aren't rendered yet can still shoot you, often the first you know about it is hearing the impacts on the hull. Sometimes it's possible to take a lot of damage as there's no sound cue to let you know you're being hit.

Not sure exactly when this Drone rendering issue was introduced though it may have been present in 9.0. I recall approaching a seemingly unguarded Titan Wreck section in my starting HV, parking near it and only then have Drones appear to spawn. However, they may well have just been unrendered but on the other side of the Titan so unable to shoot from a distance.

If I see no Drones, there are no Drones on the Radar nor are there the tell-tail red blips on the map screen, yet there are Drones actively shooting me...well, I'm sorta at a bit of a disadvantage there. I'm playing SP, so have now reloaded a couple of time due to taking excess damage from somewhere with no way to counter it.

This doesn't appear to be affecting everyone, so perhaps it's related to my game being started in a slightly earlier version - still 9.x though of course.

Note: it's not uncommon to have turrets firing at Drones a long way off that aren't rendered in yet - that's just the normal (too short IMO) render distance. However, having an invisible Drone up close and firing being ignored by turrets is a total pain. Problem is, turrets are often very slow to respond, so is it that I'm seeing when they don't fire, or another artefact of the Drone being unrendered? I really don't know.

Scoob.

mR_kAt, Archimedez and TK85 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.