Alpha 9.3: Bug Fixes and Improvements - Part III

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

You are aware that Drones are not from a Civilization that is the backwater of the Galaxy as Earth is?:rolleyes:
    Therefore shooting down those Buggers CAN provide you with items you don't can manufacture in the current Situation or supplement your own stocks. As those are Drones they won't drop Rock or Ore but parts and Ammo. You may of Course wish to get less stuff from them to research and built it on you own.:)
    The simplest way around is just shoot them down and don't bother to loot them.;)

Wellingtoon and Cluascorp like this.
  2. flannan

flannan Lieutenant

They are nightmarish enough as they are. I don't want them to be even scarier.

Arbanax, elmo and Germanicus like this.
  3. Philipp

Philipp Commander

haha no i don't want them to drop rock or ores :D
    What i mean is, like in Alpha 6, the drones dropped components that you can craft with the ressources you can find on the planet, too.
    so if they would drop motors, nanotubes, steelplate etc. but not things like power coils.
    But this is something i would just wish for the future, its totally okay now :)
    As hummel already mentioned, they plan to make a config file for the loot, that would be really awesome!

Sofianinho likes this.
  4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I believe I got your point. I joined EGS with A7.6 therefore I can't tell what was the case in A6.x:(

Philipp likes this.
  5. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Love this...
    Love this...
    Hate this...
    Nothing wrong with the model, just the placement. The new golems look like a mutated Zirax or Talon rather than a standalone beastie to find roaming the plane. If I found these in a radiated biome then I would be on-board.

Never really liked the old golems though. They (rock golems) only felt right in places where life was harsh and impossible (extreme cold or heat environments).

6. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Maybe the Gh'yst have a hidden bio-weapons lab nearby ...... and they got loose.

7. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Just to chime in on performance...

Generally things haven't changed for me for a while, I still experience a fairly consistent vSync-limited 60fps at all times. I get the usual snags / micro freezes when travelling in a vessel, but that's been around for ever. What is new in the last couple of updates - well, new again I've seen this before lol - is an fps dip / micro-freeze whenever I disassemble parts of a POI with a multi-tool. Literally every hit with the tool sees my fps dip to 58, which doesn't sound like much but it's actually very noticeable. Other than that, things are generally pretty good, though the reported FPS via the in-game counter often doesn't reflect the actual fps. I.e. I see stutter at times, yet the fps counter doesn't budge from 60.

Regarding Golems, the new model is quite nice in it's own right but, to me at least, they look like juvenile golems before the layers of minerals their bodies secrete have taken over their form. As they appear currently to be fleshy creatures yet they drop raw ores that suggests a future "rocky" form :)

Scoob.

Dietrich, Wellingtoon, mR_kAt and 4 others like this.
  8. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

Since creature models are coming up now, what does everybody think of the pangolin? I feel like they look far more threatening than they actually are. They look like they'd chase you down and tear you apart but they act like they're blind and harmless.

9. Philipp

Philipp Commander

i attacked one of them in early gameplay, as he reached my position i was dead after one hit.
    Since then, i didn't fight them again :)

10. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Lol, never got closer enough to one to find out what they do - because they do look like they'd hunt you down for a snacks - so never realised that they weren't proactively aggressive. I just made sure to shot them before I got too close.

Finding them for the first time on the edge of the starter biome was actually quite good because they presented a barrier (albeit now it seems only a perceived one) for you to advance past. I really liked this but now I'm kinda sad that I have found out that they don't chase me :( but also happy cus I wanna take one home and pet him :)

11. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

As we're talking critters, and I've mentioned it before, but there are issues with many of the critters who have melee attacks. I don't know about everyone else, but I'm forever getting "hit" by them while waaaay outside of their actual range, based on model geometry. There are two factors involved here as I've observed it:

1) Their attack range is simply too long, i.e. I can be standing more than two blocks higher than they are and one block away horizontally, yet they can regularly hit me through the block that's between us. Standing in an Elevator block, several blocks higher with a Nightmare at the bottom for example sees them perfectly able to hit the player, yet they are visually out of range.

2) There is a weird "attack delay" thing where a critter might start its attack but the player dodges out of the way before the animation completes and the blow lands. In this situation if the player is in-range (the aforementioned slightly longer than expected range) when the attack starts they'll still be "hit" even if they're 30+ metres away. For example, and this is a real world one from a couple of nights ago: I'm near a Nightmare, about three metres away, I jet-pack boost away in a long arc just as it rears back to start its attack animation. I count 1, 2, 3 seconds as I arc through the air then, just as I'm about to land - a good 20 -30 metres away - I suddenly get "hit" by the attack.

Both of these are a little frustrating, especially as many critters apply various status effects now.

There is a third situation where the player never gets remotely close to a melee critter, yet still gets "hit". This is most noticeable for me when I jet-pack jump over a critter, never getting within their perceived range, yet get "hit" while at the top of my arc, when directly over them. it's as if their attack up range is longer still, like in the Elevator block example above.

I do think some refinement is needed here as critters have gotten a LOT tougher - certainly when player on hard - and they don't need the additional advantage of super long-range melee attacks. Other than this issue, I'm pretty happy with the variety of critters in the game.

I try to play quite tactically in-game, always keeping a good distance, often having the high ground etc. so I'm not simply carelessly rushing in and taking the odd hit. So, taking damage while being so careful is quite irksome. I've also noticed that some critters, I think one is the Nightmare, appear to be able to reduce my Heavy Armour to zero in just a couple of hits, which seems excessive, yet the same armour can take lots of ranged fire by comparison.

Scoob.

12. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

I am seeing all the exact same things on my end.

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Glad it's not just me! I've mentioned it a few times and was beginning to wonder if I was going crazy....or that I just suck at dodging lol. Joking aside, I do hope Eleon do a balance pass on melee attack ranges at some point. It's more of an issue now I feel as critters are tougher and smarter than ever before.

Scoob.

14. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

The Pangolin is really bad with it's melee attack. It frequently hits me from over 10m away.

It has an attack range that's at least twice as far as it is long, and it appears to have no attack animation anymore either.

I'm seeing this behavior from seemingly every critter with a melee attack.

I'll work on getting some videos recorded this weekend and submit official bug reports on the matter, since this can't be intentional.

mR_kAt and Philipp like this.
  15. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I agree. This should be the standard for Single Player games. It encourages a natural progression and exploration. It's one of the general principles that make modern video games so addictive. ;3

I think Arid maybe should have more of the starter resources (Iron, Copper, Silicon, Promy, but no advanced other minerals like cobalt or neo) than Temperate due to the difficulty and type of biome it matches. I'd expect an Arid planet to be more mineral rich. I'd also expect an Arid planet to have less food, plants and trees, BUT it should have different food and plants altogether (for the most part) because life might have evolved there (or was changed by radiation/environment) to something a bit more rare.

As for Temperate planets, I think they should be poor in metals/ores (size wise and be identical to Arid). Maybe on Temperate, deposits could be really deep in the ground and require you to dig more due to the huge layer of fauna on top on them. Temperate should have large amounts of food, fauna, wood, etc. but the plants should be unique to the planet.

As for "loot" drops, that could get a bit hard to sort out as (as far as I can see) Empyrion determines drops from creatures the same regardless what planet they are on. Raptors drop the same items no matter what the planet as do drones. THIS needs to change. A loot table should be made available via .yaml for world creators to determine what creature/drone drops which item on EACH planet. This should be the same for POIs as well and other forms of random loot.

A .yaml should also be made for harvestable plant templates. If recipes can be changed, logic dictates that what item is harvested from what living plant fauna item should be able to be set too. For example, currently the corn sprout gives "wheat" when harvested. What if I want it to give corn instead? Or tomatoes? This could really open the possibilities of world developers and allow them to use old art assets to drop unique items for each planet. The governing rule however would be that once set in .yaml, each kind of sprout would always give what it is set to regardless of each planet (for CV greenhouses to work properly).

Multiplayer is another matter however as I can see people jammed upon one another on a starter planet, with little or no resources whatsoever. Empyrion plays very differently in Single Player than multiplayer and this will be a constant headache for the developers in seek for balance in loot.

Philipp likes this.
  16. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Speaking of Motors, Nanotubes and Steelplates... whatever happened to Reactor Cores? They used to be used in building some items like generators and were one of the few (tier3) construction items.

I do like that changes made to Nanotubes using fiber now. I was getting tired of crafting steel plate after steel plate to everything in the game. I'm glad to see plastic take such a new role in the game.

Due to the abundance of seaweed on Temperate starts, I changed nanotubes to require plant protein instead of fiber (as you already use fiber for biofuel and nitro).

Philipp likes this.
  17. Runeshadow

Runeshadow Captain

Coming back from a little hiatus , 2 questions on logistics.

1. Is the plan to add Oxygen and Fuel to the new system of having a Controller Block and Extensions, as with Ammo, Cargo and Harvest?

The balancing is looking good and I have started to modify some HVs for the new system. Wondering if I should hold off, if we will soon see Fuel Controllers, and Oxygen Controllers functioning with Extension Blocks.

2. Also during my modding, I noticed I have a CPU value way above the limit in the CP. Is there a thread that discusses what I can expect from this feature?

I know the CPU feature is not activated yet, but it is hard to get into modding or building new stuff, when I know that the CPU calculation is going to wreck my new ship and require another rebuild.

Thank you!!

18. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    @1: not planned. This is already kind of a unified/extendible system
    @2: the system should be ignored for now as it is not ready for being discussed

19. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Isn't that a bit silly if invisible spawners, when disassembled, drop a red "dummy"?;):D
    Novo Provinces_2019-02-01_21-11-35.png

20. Philipp

Philipp Commander

Germanicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.