Alpha 9.4.1: Bug Fixes and Changed Folder Structure

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Feb 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrenchinator

wrenchinator Commander

I find that I build the bases by hand but tend to BP ships. Then again my bases are never very impressive either.

2. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Doesnt show damaged 'blocks' though... only specific devices that have a CP entry. Which usually are much fewer in count to go about checking for damage. Running around aiming your multi-tool at every surface holding the repair button down to find the ones that are damaged... is ... tedium lol.

Celthon, mR_kAt, Cluascorp and 2 others like this.
  3. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

There already kind of is. You get XP for every single block and device you place in survival mode. It's not a TON of xp, but I regularly gain levels while building.

4. rebuilthk47

rebuilthk47 Lieutenant

Oh right. Regular blocks.

5. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Yeah, I noticed from my meter, but there is no feedback in the game that you are getting exp from placing blocks (like when you kill creatures). For a new player that may seem to them like building in survival gives you nothing as well as mining.

I don't quite know how the other activities in the game can be tweaked to give comparable exp. I have just some members whom play who only like to mine and build not fight AI. They rely on other players to guard them while they do activities that other squad members would consider tedious. The builders and miners in turn claim that attacking POIs is either too hard for them or tedious.

There should be a balance in exp that rewards every members in the squad equally for doing their own vital role to help everyone survive.

6. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

The game used to show you the experience gain from placing blocks, but multiple versions ago the devs changed it so that if the xp gain is under a certain amount it no longer displays it to keep from cluttering the view up. I can't remember the exact value of xp gain, but it is per block. When you place thousands of blocks and devices while building you can easily gain a couple levels even at the higher levels.

7. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I've always found that gaining XP from placing and recovering blocks is totally inconsistent. Many a time I've built a large Base or Vessel from scratch and my XP hasn't gone up a single point. Same for deconstructing things. However, very rarely I will gain a level while building or disassembling, I just don't know why I sometimes get XP, but rarely do.

It's actually the same for mining with a hand drill, I rarely gain any XP for it - and I'm checking the XP value to be sure! I used to always gain much of my XP from early-game mining, building and disassembling captured POI's, but it's been an age since these activities consistently granted me any XP.

What's frustrating is that I used to level up, and unlock tech, just through playing the game how I wanted. I didn't have to go crazy picking up every harvestable plant out there, or shooting every critter, or go hunting for Drones just to level up. Now, I often find myself stuck level-wise, as my natural gameplay simply isn't granting XP.

I'm just playing normal Single Player Survival, nothing special. Perhaps there are more rules when it comes to what grants XP based on player level, difficulty etc. I know playfield difficulty used to grant a potential XP bonus, dunno if that's still the case.

Scoob.

mR_kAt and StyleBBQ like this.
  8. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Everything at 100xp or above shows

9. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Then why does gathering fauna (which gives less then 100xp) show up sometimes?

There should be a some sort of visual indication for new players that you gain exp from building and mining however... and as scoob stated, the rate of exp gain from mining has been greatly reduced which makes things a pain early in game when getting enough exp for the survival constructor and other starter tools.

Also, I don't think you get any exp from breaking surface rocks (or trees). I have yet to notice any form of exp gain via my meter. This should really change.

10. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Just a random thought; with Mass & Volume I was thinking how useful it could be if one HV could tow another.

Say your starter HV is really small but once you level it wouldn't make a bad miner by slapping a couple T1 drills on it.

Issue will be tiny storage. If your next HV was basically a hauler; much easier to build & add-on to than a miner with it's own storage,

then the hauler could tow the tiny miner to drill sites. :)

Of course I'm still hoping for CV-Hovers to debut, seriously they'd be awesome!

But maybe it's possible to fake a tractor beam/towing with a 'follow-x' kinda thing until then?
    ----

9.4.1 game play comment: shooting a Polaris owned space mine to destroy it changed faction rep from friendly to hostile (I think, not 100% sure but definately went below friends). Yet getting too close and causing one to explode doesn't change rep...

(may be due to me not knowing how to deactivate the minefield, even after completing the derilect ship Whispers mission.)

Don't have a suggestion, & not a bug as far as I can tell, it just seems a bit odd is all.

Gainesterism likes this.
  11. Taelyn

Taelyn Administrator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    • Administrator
    Might be abit broken . Not everything gives exp anymore. We did that to slow down player progression

12. jesterjunk

jesterjunk Captain

Any idea when we will be getting the new railings/catwalks?

[​IMG]

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I'd like to see Left & Right rails too, as well as Stair blocks with rail built-in for some tidier builds.

Scoob.

Maverick241 likes this.
  14. Kalista

Kalista Commander

Anyone else notice that drones on the moon atleast are starting to hang in the air after there dead still able to fire till they finally blow up and fall down 10 seconds later ? If so im going to try to catch it on video for a bug report

15. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Retractable Guns/Turrets; Turrets say they have more HPs when retracted yet Multitool doesn't show that.

Has anyone figured out if they do have more HPs retracted & if so how to show how much?

I'm particularly concerned about the fixed 'gun' Mining Lasers. With only 500 HPs and normal placement being in the nose, I'm hoping they not only have quite a bit more HPs when deactivated, but also wondering if when they are, does that take them off the primary targets list for enemy weapons?

An idea going forward. Possibly a two-stage destruction for all retractables. First stage being the weapon/mining/tool getting destroyed with a weak shell remaining; the 'pan' the gun retracted into. Second stage would be the pan getting destroyed. All the expensive bits would be gone in first stage, just leaving some steel plates representing the pan.
    Only benefit would be maintaining airtightness if the pan remained, so not a big deal, was just thinking maybe a final polish bit.
    ---

9.4.1 Arid Terrain Planet question. The tree sized cacti behave like a tree when cutting them down w a chainsaw or a HV harvest head, same sound and wood chips animation, yet they don't drop Wood.

Personally on the fence about whether they should drop Wood or not; Arid start is nominally harder. But with all the surface Ore rocks, quite a bit more than on the Temperate planets starts I've had, maybe the large cacti could drop 1 Wood...

16. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Ah, thanks for the clarification! :D I thought I was seeing things. :)

Taelyn likes this.
  17. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

Let me tell you a little story. I call it, "Then I Heard a Big Boom...":

I got the usual message about drones coming to attack my base. This message was no different from the others. I thought nothing of it as I was at my base and my defenses handled the waves just fine.

Some minutes later, I was down below in my big underground base, harvesting my farm of 72 Growing Plots, when I heard a commotion from outside. Then I heard a large explosion, which sounded alarming as it seemed louder than the sound of a drone exploding.

I rushed outside to investigate. Sure enough, there were drones. Weirdly, the moment I took a step outside, the 3 drones seemed to blow up simultaneously, as if in sync. Granted, there was blare of rapid turret fire, but it was exceedingly brief. I thought it very strange, as if the turrets were waiting for me to step outside before they would fire on the drones, almost as if they were waiting for my presence to signal permission to fire.

I watched the destroyed drones crash to the ground. As I still care about drone loot, I rushed to collect it. Then I looked around to see if there was damage.

A casual glance revealed that there was some damage to the small CV I had parked on top of my base as I saw there were deformities or dents in some blocks. Looking more closely, however...

I was floored! :eek:

[​IMG]

The drones had not only destroyed the Garage Door on my CV, but also the Warp Drive, Gravity Generator, 2 Fuel Tank (T2), 1 Large O2 Tank, and Motion Sensor! This, despite how there were only three of them. :mad: This, despite how I have - powered and fully loaded with ammo - 4 Cannon Turrets on my main base, plus 3 Cannon Turrets on a smaller base next to it and 1 Cannon Turret on a small turret emplacement base. :confused:

This is what the hangar interior is supposed to look like:

[​IMG]

Of course I was upset. Actually, I had only recently built and then redesigned and modified this CV, upgrading to Combat Steel, upgrading thrusters and other changes. I had just finished topping it off with fuel and O2 and loading the CV up with all sorts of supplies (ammo for turrets, vehicles, tools and weapons; medical supplies; lots of extra fuel; various components and resources for the on-board constructors, etc). Irony of ironies, I was moments away from taking my CV on it's maiden voyage! I just wanted to pick my farm crops one last time before I left.

I've never had this trouble before. The turrets shot down the drones long before they got within range of my base. The way this happened suggests four strange things: (1) That, instead of spawning far away and approaching my base, the drones spawned right above my base; (2) that my turrets did not fire on the drones until after I stepped outside, after the drones already blew up the interior of my CV {big explosion sound}; (3) that all 3 drones targeted my CV instead of any one of my three BA's; and (4) the possibility that one of the drones spawned inside my CV and blew up devices from the inside.

Even though I was inside my base, did the game treat it as if the player was away from the base, simulating a fight as if the player was not present and calculating the results of the simulated battle?

Please, devs, take another look at your drone spawning algorithms and how combat is calculated. This does sound like a rare, freak bug. But I doubt that I'm the only one who has experienced something like this or that I'll be the only victim. And I can't file a bug report as I was using a Config and I can not recreate this. Frustrating...

Cluascorp and nexus_absolute like this.
  18. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

@Thundercraft - I've had similar experiences with my underground base. Both Drones and Troop Transports fly to my CV parked outside and, if I'm not close enough (however close that may be) then none of my defences fire. If I wander closer EVERYTHING starts firing, but at point-blank range.

The thing is, my base is in the side of a mountain, with my CV parked at the foot of said mountain. The Core of my base is a over 100 metres horizontally away from my CV and the Cave entrance I drilled out. Oddly, the Drones don't directly target my CV, but it's been damaged by Drones and Zirax Troops who are targetting me.

It's a bit of a mess really, I know the Drones fly over my Base - it looks like they're trying to go for the entrance - yet they don't show on my Radar until after they've flown over me, perhaps they're too high. I always get the Troop Transport warning after it's already arrived...often by the time it's already dead! Drones seem a little more random. Drone base is nowhere near - I've not found it yet despite lots of exploring.

So, if I'm in the heart of my base, where the Farm, Constructors etc. are - which is near the Core - Drones and the Troop Transport can arrive with NO exchange of fire. The Transport can actually drop off troops, which then just stand there doing nothing. The moment I walk a little closer all hell breaks loose. It's a bit silly as all the sounds of my Base Turrets firing originates from where the Core is placed - a bug that's been around for ages - despite the Turrets being over 100 metres away. So, I can be wandering around my Base, no Red blips on the Radar, I step over an invisible line to be just a little closer to the entrance, and I'm deafened with the sound of Cannons firing from my Core.

I loved that the AI started sending Troop Transports to my CV's location when I first landed there - before I'd set up a base - and I like that the Drones appear to be trying to find the entrance to my Base. However, this whole player proximity thing is a real problem.

This has been an issue for ages, but was alleviated somewhat when Drone attacks were suppressed if the player wasn't present at the base. However, as I've reported in the past, just having a large base can cause this issue. I.e. I'm at one end of my large base, the Drones approach from the other end, where all my Turret are, but the Turrets don't fire because I'm too far away. This allows Drones to totally bypass defences, purely depending on where the player is standing.

I get that calculating everything "live" is more intensive, but the "live" distance needs to be a LOT further from the player than it is now. In my base, when I'm in the Farm / Constructor area, I'm about 100 or so metres from the Entrance, but about 5 metres from the Core. I'm about 150 metres or so from the Bases Turrets, which are spread out facing the Entrance and were the Drones approach from. My CV is parked right near the entrance, covered by its own guns as well as those of the Base. It should be VERY well protected, but it's not if I'm in my base.

I wonder if it's possible to turn this distance up, a lot, and allow us to test the performance impact? It's not a case of just turning the distance from the player that is "live" but rather in context of where the player is standing. I.e. if any player is anywhere on a base, then the whole base and a good 200+ metres out (at least) is all "Live" so fire fights could take place out of sight. So, Drones etc. approaching from the wrong direction, relative to where the players are, still allow both Drones and Base defences to fire.

Scoob.

19. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

I swear I've had drones spawn inside my base before. Right inside, jammed in a corridor they could never actually fit down so they are actually stuck in the walls... I just don't remember when or what version I was running. I was on the base at the time.

I have never been able to replicate (even by loading earlier saves just before it happened) or identify exactly where/when/how the drone got in, but this sounds very similar.

Thundercraft likes this.
  20. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

Back when I was playing Alpha 7 (I think it was 7.2 or 7.3), I remember taking on POI's on the barren moon around my start planet. And I was quite surprised when, in at least one of these POI's, there was a drone that was stuck in the walls and ceiling so it couldn't move.

Actually, now that I think about it, I've seen something similar in POI's on one or two other occasions in Alpha 7. And I vaguely recall one of the old Empyrion Let's Plays I've watched show something similar. But I've never seen or heard of a drone being stuck inside a player base before.

I've not played Alpha 8. And I haven't played enough Alpha 9 yet to know whether drones stuck in POI's still happen.

Agreed! Stuff like this is too much of a potential issue for players like us who want to build a big base.

mR_kAt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.