Alpha 9.4: General Update

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

Honestly i rather seeing time beeing spend in getting the windows Dedi stable before we start to talk about a new platform

But thats just me.

However Its not like Windows 7 stops working. Windows 95 still works even.
    Microsoft just stops updateing it. Neither u have to call them when u run in a issue

Marty likes this.
  2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I agree with all of the Windows/Linux opinions stated here, before me. I am 25 years in the IT business and I know as a hobbyist and as professional how things are with operating systems, and I have a concrete and reasonable opinion about one operating system over another. I thank you all for your point of view regarding.

I have my alternatives ready since 2015. I also know that as a player, asking a developer to add support for one more platform has a cost. So I am just another voice to support by request the Linux/player community of Empyrion. It is not a dealbreaker for me if Linux will never be supported. But day by day the Linux gamer community gets bigger. Valve, supports Linux for years now and introduced last August Proton. Them and many game developers are preparing to support a mass user base switch from Windows 7 to Linux for gaming. My request towards EGS, is just a remind of this.

xmacleod, Ramachandra and Moonsugar like this.
  3. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

Some nice updates in that list, for sure. Is there a roadmap published anywhere? I know it's hard to say exactly when a certain feature will land but I'd love to see a rough list of planned features in the order that the team plans to implement them.

Tons of feedback and ideas get posted here but there's often an extremely limited direct response from the dev team. Usually you only know something was noticed if it appears in the next change log.

4. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

No there is no roadmap
    We dont react to everything since we have allot to do

5. H.P. Strangelove

Are the values not correct for HV thruster jet 1x3x1? I thought these were 200 kn on experimental but on live its 90 kn.

6. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

To me it still shows as Force 200kn

7. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I just started a new survival game with weight / volume enabled so I'm being quite careful with my early-game inventory management. However, I just picked up all I own to move sites - I started in an area with desert in all direction, as far as I can see - and noticed that my inventory weight is apparently 1.22t...should I even be able to move currently? Volume is just over 30% full.

What should the suit inventory weight limit be for Light Armour? Has the setting not worked properly? I was definitely enabled during the game configuration screen.

Scoob.

8. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

Mass and Volume arnt the same. The volume is the right number in the inventory screen that is whats limited

9. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Ah, ok, this is the first time I've enabled this feature and I assumed I'd not be able to carry a tonne+ of stuff in my backpack lol.

On an unrelated note, I'm seeing random Balistas (as in the Talon fixed crossbow "turret" things) randomly floating in the desert, kilometres from the nearest Talon POI. I thought they were distance low-flying Drones at first. These items are gone after a save / reload, so I cannot submit evidence of this and I guess a screenshot isn't overly useful.

Scoob.

spacefarmer and IronCartographer like this.
  10. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

If u encounter it again try to make a screenshot atleast and post it as bug :)

Aslong the volume doesnt hit the cap u can carry stuff. Its without a suit 500
    with a suit its abit increased

spacefarmer likes this.
  11. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Will do. I tend to do a Save / Reload any time I encounter an issue automatically these days. Only helpful if the save shows the issue of course.

Yes, I have a volume capacity of 600 units with the default Medium Armour from the Arid start. I guess having no weight limit for the player suit inventory is a convenience thing as, thinking abut it, I'd be stuck picking up pretty my any item over about 100-200kgs (realistically speaking) without an attached remote inventory.

The added weights and volumes are impacting my Survival start far far less than I anticipated - I guess the balancing tweaks and player feedback did the trick!

Scoob.

Needleship, Sofianinho and Taelyn like this.
  12. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

My comment wasn't meant to be a jab at the dev team, btw. I'm just eager to see some of the other features get implemented and infinitely curious what you guys are up to between updates.

Taelyn likes this.
  13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Btw: I've noticed that Water Generators are leaving a "hole" (aka missing water texture) when removed. I rarely remove them after placing - I'm usually settling down at that point - but this time I'm "mobile base'ing" it in a light HV. This is a fresh start in version 9.4.0 build 2275, so no old save issue. Anyone else?

Scoob.

14. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

Known issue since day one :)

Technicaly not a bug but a limitation how water is handles. Its just a layer of ground. Has no Volume.
    It will be solved once the topic water gets taken care off.

Due to the many terrain changes it just happens way more since A9 then it used to do

15. Astasia

Astasia Ensign

Sure, but the gaming community as a whole is growing faster, so the percent of Linux users is actually decreasing fairly steadily. It's now below 0.82% of gamers using Linux, it was about 1.1% a couple years ago or so.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Good luck getting a small indie developer to spends months of effort making a linux port to potentially increase sales by less than 1%.

Marty likes this.
  16. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Lol, that's classic. I've been playing since 3.0 and I've never noticed it....or I forgot I noticed it, one or the other :) At least I feel less silly as you say it happen more often in A9, so I'll take that lol.

While I'm sure it's not planned any time soon, it'll be great to have improved water...cue players digging holes to "pipe" water to their bases... :) It'd be interesting to hear the Devs thoughts on how they hope to implement water physics. I imagine it has the potential to be a HUGE resource hog, so needs to be approached carefully.

Scoob.

Track Driver likes this.
  17. IronCartographer

I saw something similar in an earlier 9.x release with structure fragments stuck floating in the air. As you travel they appear to "repeat" at regular intervals because they are in the 'same place' within the game engine's "reference frame" that the player travels across repeatedly while the world is moved every time you reach the edge (at least that's how I'm guessing it's implemented). So something is getting corrupted within the playfield model on the game client, and is fixed by reloading.

Not quite as bad as reports of docked HVs getting parts from the parent CV glued onto them though... In a persistent fashion. Armored doors, sentry turrets, even CV drills and thrusters. Several major versions ago I saw something similar with combat steel getting glued onto the front of an SV in combat, but apparently things like that are still happening.

Then there's the issue where you spawn in a blueprint and some of the internal components appear "way below" the ship, but not after a reload... o_O

18. Welderold

Welderold Ensign

I tested 20 seed and none had this new "BarrenMetal" planet. I don't mean a starter planet, I looked at the planet list from the console after new start.

19. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

@IronCartographer - yes, I've encountered the issue in the past, seeing lots of "base bits" such as fuel tanks and other random blocks as I fly. However, this is the first time I've encountered this in ages. I saw some more earlier - not Balistas again, but other random blocks, here's a screen shot:

Survival - 9.4.0 1175_2019-02-11_20-39-48.png

I'm assuming said blocks might be linked to the POI in the distance...

Scoob.

20. Atola

Atola Commander

Ok - is MASS for inventory and the contents of containers enabled in any way? (assuming I have that checkbox checked in difficulty)
    Is there a way to enable it for creative games so I can check my designs?