Alpha 9.4: General Update

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Sigh... Maybe allow modders access to the .cfg for the settings. There has been a strong pushback about the feature so far. Personally speaking, I can't properly play the game when the mobs gather in groups and I can't see their bodies due to the HP bar.

I am a patient kat however and will happily wait on hold until the HUD is less confusion. It is more of an accessibility issue for me and I can't play for long periods of time because of it.

Until then I'll have to sadly place my testing on hold (unless someone out there in the community can code some kind of work around for it).

I really thank you for your honesty on the matter however. It's really refreshing to see the uptick in communication with the playerbase.

2. Gainesterism

Gainesterism Ensign

Autocorrect. Or fat fingers. I meant MW.

3. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I have two questions for the community (or developers), if anyone can be so kind to answer them for me.

Question #1 Does the RoF on the T1 Drill effect it's drill speed (when digging in terrain) or does it have to do with something else like how much damage it does to surface rocks?

{ Item Id: 2056, Name: Drill
    PickupToToolbar: true
    StackSize: 1
    Category: Weapons/Items
    Mass: 8, type: int, display: false, formatter: Kilogram
    Durability: 500, display: false
    DegradationProb: 0.03, type: float, display: false
    RadialMenu: true
    {
    AllowAt: "UnderWater, Planet, Space"
    HarvestSupport: true <======= Value should be "False" since the T1 shouldn't autopickup rocks due to its description
    ROF: 0.25, type: float, display: false, formatter: ROF <=============== Does this effect dig speed?
    Range: 2.5, display: false
    NoiseStrength: 50, display: false
    CameraShake: 0
    IgnoreAtmo: true
    Automatic: true
    TerrainMode: true
    Damage: 26 <======== Or does this value effect dig speed?
    Radius: 2
    AmmoCapacity: 750, display: true
    AmmoType: BioFuel, display: true
    ReloadDelay: 3.1, display: true
    DamageMultiplier_1: 0.001, data: woodblock
    DamageMultiplier_2: 0.001, data: concrete
    DamageMultiplier_3: 0.001, data: metal
    DamageMultiplier_4: 0.001, data: metalhard
    DamageMultiplier_5: 0.001, data: hull
    DamageMultiplier_6: 0.001, data: hullarmored
    DamageMultiplier_7: 0.001, data: hullcombat
    RadialText: rdlResourceMining
    RadialDesc: rdlResourceMiningManualTxt
    RadialIcon: Radial_ResourceMining
    }
    {
    DecoMode: true
    HarvestSupport: false
    AllowAt: "UnderWater, Planet, Space"
    ROF: 0.25, type: float
    Range: 2.5
    NoiseStrength: 50, display: false
    CameraShake: 0
    IgnoreAtmo: true
    Automatic: true
    InfoPopup: true
    Damage: 20
    Radius: 3
    AmmoCapacity: 750
    AmmoType: BioFuel
    ReloadDelay: 3.1
    DamageMultiplier_1: 0.001, data: stone
    DamageMultiplier_2: 0.001, data: dirt
    DamageMultiplier_3: 0.001, data: woodblock
    DamageMultiplier_4: 0.001, data: concrete
    DamageMultiplier_5: 0.001, data: metal
    DamageMultiplier_6: 0.001, data: metalhard
    DamageMultiplier_7: 0.001, data: hull
    DamageMultiplier_8: 0.001, data: hullarmored
    DamageMultiplier_9: 0.001, data: hullcombat
    DamageMultiplier_10: 20, data: rock
    DamageMultiplier_11: 0.001, data: wood
    RadialText: rdlStoneRemoval
    RadialDesc: rdlStoneRemovalTxt
    RadialIcon: Radial_StoneRemoval
    }
    UnlockCost: 0, display: true
    UnlockLevel: 1, display: true
    TechTreeNames: Tools

Question #2: Under the Difficulty Settings --------> Rate of NPC Spawn, what value does that effect exactly?

Does it effect how quick NPCs spawn inside of POIs?

Does it effect NPCs how quick NPCs spawn OUTSIDE in the general Biomes?

If it doesn't effect how quick they spawn in a biome, does it increase the density of spawns in a given area.
    E.g. For example if on normal settings a creature will spawn every 5 miles or so. If I switch it to difficult, will it cause a creature to spawn every 1 mile instead of 5.

The reason why I ask this is that certain biomes are very small and sometimes NPCs from adjacent (larger) biomes "override" the small ones. A good example of this are Slimes which appear on small stretches of beaches or Rock Golems which appear in Sand biomes. Since Grasslands are adjacent, I hardly see then and I see Night Raptors instead.

Is there any way to increase the spawn rate for those NPCs in those areas or give them a higher priority to spawn?

A big thank you to the community in advance for your help. :)

4. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

From my point of view, static, invisible spawners (like you describe) are mainly for 2 things:

1: Surprise spawns (a spider comes down out of a hole in the wall! etc).

2: To give the illusion that the NPCs were always in the POI before the player arrived. For example, civilians in Polaris POIs, enemies in abandoned POIs, etc. It doesn't make sense that the player would witness civilian NPCs or spiders being teleported in out of thin air on visible spawn pads. It's a lot more immersive to have the NPCs basically already there (spawned via invisible, one time only spawners). This has greatly increased the creative freedom people have when designing POIs.

I'm currently creating POIs for my custom scenario and I love the static and invisible spawners. There are still times when you'll want to use visible spawners (either set to static for one time only spawn, or set to continually spawn enemies until it's destroyed) but the invisible static spawners allows for a lot more design choices.

I want to stress this:

You shouldn't encounter an invisible spawner that continually spawns enemies except in very specific situations when it's warranted and intended in a particular POI as part of a specific challenge. If you still encounter this in any POI make sure to file a proper bug report!
    They should spawn a set number of enemies (set in the POI blueprint) and then permanently deactivate themselves.
    All of the infinity spawning invisible spawners were due to not being correctly set in the POI.

malrose1, mR_kAt and geostar1024 like this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yes, it affects the drill speed. Both RoF and damage contribute to how fast your drill can break through rocks or terrain. Increasing the RoF will increase the drill speed without increasing how fuel efficient it is. Increasing the damage will increase the fuel efficiency (how much you can dig up with a can of biofuel or drill charge).

It shouldn't affect POIs (that's set in the POI itself). I don't know the exact effect it has on biome spawns (does it increase respawn speed or numer of NPCs?)

mR_kAt likes this.
  6. pachangas

pachangas Lieutenant

I prefer the thrust normalisation approach, i.e. how many less powerful thrusters would I need to achieve the same thrust.

At least now, the better the thruster, the better it is, but yes, the Thruster Jet is a bit out there on its own and doesn't fit the pattern.
    The reality is, with mass now having an effect, you're always better off with a bigger thruster!

I get the following:
    upload_2019-2-15_18-12-57.png

7. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

Thank you so much for that answer! It was killing me while experimenting with the values and trying to determine if RoF or damage was the determining factor in drill speed vs. efficiency. :D

Now if I can only find out how the NPC spawning works... at least it doesn't effect POI's so that narrows things down a tad.

ravien_ff likes this.
  8. IronCartographer

Oh, I see. Well then, kPU is probably 1/1000th of a MW. Kilo vs. mega. Where are you still seeing MW used in-game?

9. OddTheViking

OddTheViking Ensign

I LOVE YOU

IronCartographer likes this.
  10. Gainesterism

Gainesterism Ensign

11. Gainesterism

Gainesterism Ensign

Also, I assumed the k and M were kilo vs. mega. It's the PU vs. W I wasn't sure about. Maybe a PU is 1:1 with a watt or 1/1000 or maybe I'm as clueless as I feel.

Thanks for helping.

12. IronCartographer

That's the way things were changed I believe, yes. Apparently it needed to be abstracted so people would stop making realism complaints? :rolleyes:

vscuorzo likes this.
  13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yes, I think I might have jumped the gun a little and the reason I had several critters at one point was due to multiple spawners - i.e. the room had more than one hence the extra surprise lol. Going further into the POI, at a slow pace, saw just one critter at a time.

I was playing while waaay too tired the other night, so thought something had gone wrong with the POI changes. Don't get me wrong, I would rather they were visible but hidden, but I get the approach taken. Often, for whatever reason, spawners would activate late, allowing them to be destroyed before they spawned anything. This new way at least the spawning is as designed.

Scoob.

ravien_ff likes this.
  14. MidasGunhazard

MidasGunhazard Captain

Will the new planet show up in existing games or does a new playthrough need to be started? And does the 'barren metal' world actually have higher ore availability?

15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

A new game is required. There's only a chance for it to appear in a solar system though.

I made a scenario that always spawns at least 1 though:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1594181950

MidasGunhazard likes this.
  16. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Commander

If the devs don't want to provide a toggle for that then maybe changing the opacity would help. I think it's currently not transparent at all which is why it can be so annoying. If you could see through it then you'd be able to see what's going on better. No toggle needed.

mR_kAt and ravien_ff like this.
  17. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

That would help quite a bit. I also hate seeing my own HP bar glitch above my head half of the time. I just don't see why the bar is needed that badly. There should be some sort of craftable device that can give you a creature's "level". As for hitpoints, it isn't necessary to see how "dead" your enemy is. The only reason why I can see a need for it is for ship systems (to see how damaged they are), but that would really spam the screen unless you can toggle it on and off.

Frigidman likes this.
  18. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Commander

I do like the idea of tying it to a device as well. Kind of like the scouter from dragon ball z. For survival I'm kind of indifferent because I can deal with them as is but I can see how they'd get really annoying in multiplayer during a big battle.

19. Google_Brox

Google_Brox Ensign

While it is 'logical' that blocks with a smaller size would have less hitpoints, I really don't think it was necessary for this game. Already many people build 'bricks' for combat, and now there is even more reason to build a 'brick'. Essentially any blocks which you now use which aren't the single solid block are sacrificing armour for the same space.

Not sure it's a good move to be honest.

20. IronCartographer

Yeah, ironically this change has made me consider the merits of having all blocks be the same HP, since from a structural perspective they all occupy the same space. :p

But again, as long as the mass and HP line up, things are fairly sensible, even if you pay 'extra' for the smaller blocks (material cost is the same as a full block). In fact, I'd prefer proper moment-of-inertia (turning rate) calculations were implemented at a higher priority than exact material cost handling. Adding a single block (or even a column of a several blocks) off the side of your ship should not make its turning rate drop as though the entire hull is spread out over that additional {width, height, length, whichever}. It wouldn't even require any UI changes to do that...

mR_kAt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.