Alpha 9.4 - Hotfix Releases

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Agree. The Small Block material costs are pretty trivial.

If they went with something like the example I laid out above, then material cost would become non-trivial, especially for Large blocks.
    Now personally I could live with 'rounding' things (cut-offs=waste in a lot of building); a Half Block costs half the mats. A Thin/Wall block for Large Blocks costs 13 Steel Plates (if full cube cost 100 plates, and a Wall is a 1/8th block) while a Thin/Wall block for Small Blocks -didn't- cost 1 Steel Plate like you'd expect (assuming a Sm Blk Steel Cube cost 6), but maybe cost 2 plates? For Hit point reasons??

Conumdrum would be how closely tied HP would/should be tied to a blocks material cost. I actually like the current HP/Mass to Shape scaling they came up with. While not fully intuitive, it seems a fair compromise so that nice shapes aren't shunned.
    --
    Basically I think we're coming at this from different directions, but ultimately in agreement?

I've been away for a number of months, and on return I haven't really made an effort to catch up with all the forum activity, so it's highly likely that I'm posting thoughts that many others have had and already posted. No disrespect is intended!

Knowing from experiance how intelligent and generally kind the majority of the 'old timers' are here, I figured that'd forgive any bone headed, or beaten-to-death thoughts/suggestions I post for a while as coming from a well intentioned place; though we all know where that _can_ lead! doh! :D

IronCartographer likes this.
  2. SpawnLuss

SpawnLuss Ensign

[​IMG]
    When I look at the new image, I will ask. Please make a boating ramp for small vessels. And it will be possible to add more variants in the future? Example: ukazka.jpg And the elevator for the vehicles? Or vehicles with a wheel? napad.jpg

3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Small vessels definitely need the boarding ramp. It would be useful on so many of them!

4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I find the existing CV Boarding Ramp an interesting "test" for the game. I mean, it's a surface we can stand on and it flawlessly lifts the player - no glitches, no falling through the ramp etc.

If this concept can be expanded to give much larger devices that you can park an HV or other vessel on then I'd be really happy about that.

I know the current Boarding Ramp is very small scale and just for player use while on foot, but it does show a lot of potential for future variants. Something like @SpawnLuss shows above is pretty much what I have in mind, along with a "landing pad" type variant that retracts into the ground (BA) or from the Flight Deck of a CV.

Scoob.

5. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

I don't think this is what you were getting at but your post made me wonder why we need to separate the different vehicle types at all. Why not just have a general set of ship parts and you can slap together whatever you want.

People would still build smaller hover vehicles for fuel efficient travel and as low tech starter transportation. As you progress you might throw some SV style thrusters on to get airborne. Then you'd probably want to start fresh for a CV. You wouldn't want to cruise around in your big CV much because it would use a huge amount of fuel but you'd want it for a big battle because it would be big enough for more and larger guns as well as transporting teammates with their own small/agile fighters.

Basically, build decisions would be driven more by the role fulfilled by the vehicle rather than arbitrary vehicle type part restrictions. With mass and volume active the vehicle classes would naturally be created in a way that makes sense. I think it would simplify some aspects of the game and provide more creative freedom.

6. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

I've been struggling with that as well but thought it was just me

7. IronCartographer

New players have wanted to do this quite a bit, only to become disappointed upon discovery that HV thrusters mysteriously stop working when the ground falls away...

8. Atola

Atola Commander

They feel a little heavy to me. I think the offset should be at about 33% of max HP instead of 50%.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  9. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

I'm imagining that you would either switch off the hover thrusters for more powerful thrusters when you want to go from hovering to flying or that there's some way to toggle between hover mode and flight mode. The only real reason for hovering as opposed to always flying is a fuel efficiency gain or because you can't make anything strong enough to keep a ship more than a few feet off the ground.

Right now we're forced to build the different vessel types for specific purposes due to limits put in place presumably to guide people to build a certain way and to progress in a certain order. It would be a massive change to throw at all the ship builders though who would possibly have to rebuild a ton of things. If it makes the game better in the end though, it should be done but with plenty of warning.

10. Szaone

Szaone Lieutenant

I think i know why empyrion stutters and lag. I use fast graphic settings and the game takes my entire 2 gb of graphic memory. My windows is taking 300 mb of graphic memory and empyrion is taking 1,9 gb and it causes stutters and lags. Please fix it because it makes the game very unplayable (1280 x 720 and 1920 x 1080). I can play many other games with ultra setting and 2k resolution so no it's not my computer fault.

Attached Files:

11. Patwar

Patwar Commander

CV and SV passing through bases when exiting.... boring

12. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

Does anybody else still see issues with troop transports? For as long as I've been playing A9 I've seen them fly over to me/my base but never land or shoot at me. In a 9.3 save loaded in 9.4 I saw a transport spawn at an armory POI and it would shake like it wanted to take off but it couldn't. It also didn't let any troops out and would instantly respawn when I killed it.

13. Szaone

Szaone Lieutenant

Mass/volume problem. (solved)

How to place the largest generator T2? I can't put it into my backpack. Update: I foumd the solution (Connect to container).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Question for anyone who might know:

Outside of the Epic Armour, is there any way to survive the temperature extremes on a Lava world?

I have Heavy Armour and ample boosts of all types, yet I cannot come close to surviving the relatively mild, for a Lava world, 150c temperatures I find myself in currently.

I want to assault a POI - an abandoned (yeah, I believe you!) Drone Base and set up a camp on this world - outside of my CV - but the environs are too hostile. Generally mining and flying around are fine of course, but sometimes I'd like to go out on foot.

Note: I am of course carrying water and other cooling items with me to increase the amount of time I can spend outdoors. This is working ok for temps up to around 150c - though my time outside is still of course limited. If I hit a 600c+ situations though, as I have in the past, this won't really help.

Edit: Temps currently 597c on the POI I'm attempting to assault...I don't last more than a handful of seconds before I over heat!

Scoob.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  15. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

@Scoob, the epic armor or staying indoors are the only options for those extreme temperatures.
    You can put water in your hotbar and spam drink it to stay cool up to a certain temp, but it's not like you can do anything else since you have to keep drinking it.

In the past I've used my regular SV to disarm the POI's then come back with a micro SV with a gatling or two that can fit through a 1x1 base block. It's kind of boring to do it that way though.

16. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

In the past I too have used the Micro SV approach - or normal SV and make a really big hole in the POI lol. Its fun, but feels sorta cheesy to me as I do sometimes like the experience the POI as designed, so going through it sequentially. Once I know a POI well I'll often take a short cut though.

I guess I'm just looking for options when in such an extreme environment. We've got Cold covered with the EVA boost, but nothing for Heat other than Epic Armour. The temperature Boosts only give 5c, which is a little silly

Scoob.

17. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

@vscuorzo , completely agree w you that it would be great if a 'ship' were just a ship. :)

Unfortunately, if I'm recalling correctly, the devs(?) explained that it wasn't possible to allow both Hover & Flight via the same Core.

While that doesn't make much sense to me; like you mention, 'switch' between modes, I'm not a coder so there certainly may be foundation coding that does really make this a pipe dream. :(
    ---

On a different note, and I'll apologise in advance for rehashing thoughts likely already well covered; "we were on a break!" :D
    One thing I'm finding very interesting is that implementing Volume & Mass is having the effect of highlighting many 'balance' values as being inconsistent, when compared across the entire game.

And personally, I think it's a really good thing.

Certainly it will take a lot of work to rationalize everything, but in the end I expect it will make things quite a bit easier. No more large disparities or constant fussing with values for things to 'feel right'. Set the baselines of Mass and Volume, adhere to them and there's forever a built in consistencey, or 'sanity' check.

Also, oddly, the more I think about various parts of game progression and how V&M will likely impact things, I'm seeing more positives than negatives.

Take what appear to be the main progression governors; Power & Materials & Time. These 'scarcity' bits are a core part of a survival game.

We've seen quite a bit of Power tweaks, always upwards, so it seems clear to me that they are interested in leveraging power management into a more central roll than it's been in the past. In the simplistic example I detailed above about a Small Steel Block taking 6 Steel Plates and a Large Steel Block taking 100, inside that is a 3x for Small and a 10x for Large potential increase in not only Power, but Materials & Time as well.

100 to 6 is a 16.67:1 ratio. ~17 times more from Small to Large. Yet that Large Steel Block need'ent use just Steel Plates. Use stablized wood, or the Carbon Substrate for internal bracing &/or Radiation Shielding. Could be a significant, 1/3rd?, portion of the total Mass.
    By applying V&M to Wood, aka Trees, then at game start cutting down one 'large' tree would be wasteful, it would literally be tons of wood. Yet once you begin building a CV, then harvesting a hundred large trees might be needed. Now V&M has made trees important, leading to another resource that's non-trivial.

Yet it's a manageable, not fully draconian increase. Players who already lean towards Salvaging won't take a huge hit in Materials or Time, yet they will feel the Power (heh) if they do a lot of deconstructing.
    Those that prefer to mine everything themselves would definately notice the change, yet that group are also often the ones who enjoy a bit more grind. And even a 3x increase at the Small level really isn't that much; the Hover Thrusters & new Carbon blocks make a decent starter HV very easily attained. Can balance for the early (SV/HV) via Ore Node size, hand-held-drills efficiency, availablity of T1 HV Drills; as they're doing now. And it won't have as significant an impact on the ability to make Large Blocks, allowing those to, in a way, have their own seperate balance.

Ultimately V&M, applied with a broad yet even brush could recreate a significant gap between a CV and SV/HVs, one that has become way too small in my opinion.

P.S. CV Hover Thrusters/Engines please! :D

18. Atola

Atola Commander

I have to agree with everything you said on this subject. But I also think the GUI to move things around/connect to containers etc is clunky at best.

stanley bourdon and StyleBBQ like this.
  19. Numonar

Numonar Lieutenant

Meep, not like recoil, can be edited with Config, along with screenshake.
    I don't mind the tool/weapon "show" it's being used, but shaky screens and guns moving up like a rocket on stutter,No thanks!

StyleBBQ likes this.
  20. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

Thanks, and for getting me back on track, heh :)

QoL addition to the Log screen might be Quick Access Buttons (click).

Go into Control Panel for the base/ship, assign any 'cargo' entity as default connect-to.

Player opens Log screen, sees near top; "MainBase []", "HV_Miner []", "SV_Falcon []", etc., within range.

Single Left-clicking a radio button and that base/ships default cargo is opened.
    ---
    Almost certainly already been suggested, but hey... I'm playin, not readin here! :p :cool:
    ---
    Edit: agree w no-tool-shake please; lights/sounds are enough :)

Numonar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.