Alpha 9.5: Armored Cockpits, New Planet, Advanced Game Start

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kalista

Kalista Commander

I've wanted a cockpit like the starfuries have from babylon 5 since then just for once id have excellent downward visibility

ravien_ff likes this.
  2. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  3. Supay

Supay Commander

Great update! Love the Ocean Planet and trade goods, Can't wait for the alpha 10 previews to start!

D00mnoodle likes this.
  4. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Commander

What game is that, please? Preeeeetty please?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    iliapugach likes this.
  5. ArcticPrism

ArcticPrism Commander

Ocean planet addition is cool. Looking forward to when water is more than just scenery and we can have content for it like underwater POIs besides just wreckage.

6. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

Please tell me Ocean Planet is a starter planet!??

7. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Maybe someday when "airtight" and "o2 flow cubes" are used to make no-liquid areas inside. Might be a long ways off (or never).

8. jesterjunk

jesterjunk Captain

Any idea when we will be getting the new railings/catwalks?

[​IMG]

9. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

All good things must end.;)

10. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

This seems to work like in an other Online Game...the more often People ask the later the stuff appears:D

Sofianinho, Frigidman and Needleship like this.
  11. Supay

Supay Commander

I'm guessing Improved physics is coming in alpha 11 with the water planet added and few other hints about things. They are upgrading unity which might make it a bit easier. Alpha 10 looks to be a huge AI update with more building blocks, improved radar, shields and other goodies to be announced(mid game stuff).

Sofianinho likes this.
  12. Needleship

Needleship Master of Custom Terrain

Sorry, no.

But it is start-capable, if you don't mind a little messing with game files.

To turn this into a rudimentary starter, the quick-and dirty way would be:
    To rename the 'TemperateStarter'-folder into something other, and copy the ocean folder, renaming it TemperateStarter instead.
    Once you started your game session, you can revert all above steps to have it 'original' again. The important data has already been copied to your save game.
    The TemperateStarter and Ocean folders are located at (steam)\steamapps\common\Empyrion-Galactic Survival\content\playfields.

For Ocean 'Start'
    - You will drop with your escape pod. There is no starter biome, and you might crash into the middle of the sea, or directy above a Zirax installation. Be warned.
    - You have an LightArmor (=won't suffocate) and minimal starter gear.
    - Personal missions don't work there. Don't know how compatible the other missions are.

Diving /beachcombing for starter rocks. Down there are the ores you will need. They are clustered, so don't give up.

Sofianinho, ravien_ff and Supay like this.
  13. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Ohh I hope its not "or never" :-(

Ntslatko likes this.
  14. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Well, we were told those railings were coming way back in 7.0 or 8.0, so is it any wonder that people are asking constantly?

D00mnoodle and Supay like this.
  15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I would think that too, but maybe the quality of the railing would suffer if it is brought into the game before Unity 2018 is up and running?

16. jadefalcon

jadefalcon Captain

breaks my heart

17. Bloomsfield

Bloomsfield Ensign

I just noticed after update my advanced constructor only shows 64 slots (input) not the 128 i had before from my container controller is this a bug?

18. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Hurrah!!!

Hmm. I was thinking they were a bit heavy, and the hit points could have used a small reduction.... Undecided on this so far.

The fact that they were labelled legacy sort of hinted that there would be day of reckoning yet to come. Guess it is closer than some of us realized.

Okay, I realize this is one of those yaml things, but if it is in the yaml then I am inclined to suspect that at some point it might become an active default. Maybe. Maybe not. So, let me state that I am against such a limit. I have two WIP that I will use as examples here.

SV #1
    Currently 135 tonnes, this WIP was going to be my biggest SV at one point, until I got the foolish idea of making something bigger. The forward window is a modest size, so it seems fitting that there is a pilot and copilot seat in there. Being forward, this is not practical for use in PVE combat. That is a vulnerable location. So the third cockpit will be slightly behind these with a wall for protection. As I said, this is a WIP. I expect it to gain another 20 - 50 tonnes before it is done as much of the interior is still unfinished.

SV #2
    Currently 914 tonnes, this WIP might actually compete with some of the smallest CV in size. But as you get up there in size of SV, it gets to be very challenging to get great performance out of a SV, let alone find a good parking spot. As such, this SV was built to dock on the outside of specially built CV, also a WIP. Because the SV pulls up alongside and docks on the outside, lining up the doors so you can cross from SV to CV means that I added two extra cockpits. One on the right. One on the left side of the SV. These extra cockpits actually face to the sides of the vessel so you watch the hull of the CV to try and line up the two vessels for docking. I have actually gotten up from the "forward" cockpit and wandered over to one of these side facing cockpits to complete the docking maneuver. Not only did it seem realistic for such a large SV to have these specialized cockpit locations, but I have found it easier to do the docking from these sideways cockpits. Now with such a large SV, the main cockpits are fairly spacious. A single cockpit would seem out of place by itself, while a pilot and copilot arrangement makes sense. While it is not truly symmetrical, the front and back of this large SV are so identical that I could not resist the temptation to put a cockpit both in the front and the rear of the vessel, like an oversized version of the public transit trains I ride to and from work on occasion--and those trains have a driver's cab both front and back of the train car. So big SV with cockpits each end that are big enough that a pilot and copilot seat in each cockpit looks appropriate, combined with small docking purpose cockpits on each side. That makes a total of six open cockpits.

And from something I have on the workshop...

HV
    123 ton heavy tank. A combat steel outer hull with hardened steel interior. So how many cockpits? Three open cockpits. Two in what visually would be the primary cockpit of the hover vessel, almost side by side, creating that illusion of pilot and secondary control seat. Then back in the main cabin, I have the practical combat cockpit, protected by the bulk of the HV. Two cockpits forward for the immersion and a third incorporated into the main cabin as if it is a weapons station. The fact that the cockpit comes with the artwork of controls lends itself to that illusion.

Why did I mention the mass of all these builds? To give perspective.

Now, I will admit that I have seen many BP with a multitude of cockpits that didn't make any sense. Even if I try to evaluate a half dozen cockpits as a PVP ploy, the reality is that a couple cockpits at undisclosed locations buried under the hull could be just as effective. So, for me the best reason to allow a multitude of cockpits is for the creative opportunities that leaving the max count a bit open might afford--allowing for the more immersive builds.

Won't change the fact that I still intend to build to 7500 CPU for most of my BP. I am well aware that CPU is a WIP. There are two reasons I will continue with my project. One, to improve my personal skills as a builder. Two, because somewhere along the line I might collect some more data points. One of those I think I ought to finish is a large SV, but not one of the ones mentioned above. I have some others in mind for that.

I will say this is a good thing. 5 PU seems very reasonable. An unpowered wireless seemed out of place, but considering the PU costs of storage, I wasn't going to say anything about the peculiar nature of the wireless. Now they adjusted the PU costs of storage, so adding the missing energy costs to the wireless makes sense.

You are cruel!!! Actually, I love it. My only complaint? I have to start a new game.... once again. That is the cruel part.

Germanicus and ravien_ff like this.
  19. gevans

gevans Lieutenant

Some good news about this latest patch.
    But when can we expect to see the permanently white and invisible hull blocks on HV's fixed ??
    I don't bother designing new ships in creative anymore because of it.

I started the bug report over 3 weeks ago and not a word from Eleon.

20. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Commander

what was the problem that this change solved? We have an HV tank designed to be operated in any of 4 directions, this change breaks the usefulness of this build. I would like to know the reason for the change. thank you

dpburke2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.