Alpha 9.5: Armored Cockpits, New Planet, Advanced Game Start

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Mar 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jesterjunk

jesterjunk Captain

The max count of 2 is not enabled by default, it has to be specifically turned
    on in the gameoptions.yaml

I can see it as possibly being useful for PvP, to prevent players from jumping
    to an unlimited number of cockpits during a fight, when they keep getting them
    blown up.

dpburke2, Needleship and ravien_ff like this.
  2. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I checked my last 20 Game Starts of which I always made screenshots of the list of Planets the seed has. It is the first time I have ELEVEN Planets. Also 3 Temperate and one Ocean.

XIV. Gemina_2019-03-06_16-07-17.png

dpburke2 and ravien_ff like this.
  3. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Yup! It looks like you'll always get a temperate, a swamp, and an ocean planet in your solar system.

dpburke2 likes this.
  4. ButtonPusher

ButtonPusher Captain

I do wish we could have more cockpits, and I like the legacy cockpits a great deal and wish to keep them in game to use. I do wish the stick would have a character arm model and move as we fly (as it does in Elite Dangerous, for example) , not sure if that is planned or not, but would be very nice in 1st person view perspective. Thank you for furthering development on HOTAS and supporting more profiles / devices, please support as many as possible. Thank you for the update and good luck with the 2018 engine update! o/

mR_kAt likes this.
  5. agentoscar

agentoscar Ensign

Interesting tradables,
    so we can trade whiskey, diamonds, analyzers, wedding rings and some other stuff? COOL!!!
    Just try not to copy Subnautica with your new planet.

6. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Commander

I will ask our admin but they always claim that they run vanilla and our ship is now not spawnable.

this was the admins' response
    'I made no changes to game options.yaml, I wonder if it's not specified in the file then it's active?"

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  7. stanley bourdon

As good a guess as any. How long does it take to plop down a pre-made cockpit in a labelled spot? Longer than just plopping in one already there but not much.

8. forbiddenzsky

forbiddenzsky Lieutenant

Now I am generating this planet in the SolarSystemGenerator.

The following POIs are present in the playfield file, but these Prefabs are not in the game client. The planet is generated empty, no POI.

SerduDroneBase
    TS_Oscutune_Ocean
    TS_Serdu
    AbyssalDroneBase
    AbyssalTeleportHub
    SerduPrison
    RetreatArtist
    RetreatParty
    TS_Karana
    SerduBurialPlace
    AbyssalTeleRelay_B
    LostCargoTeleporter
    Pier
    JunkT1ObservationBridge
    SerduBiolab

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Or prefab these POI forgot to include in the patch ???

mR_kAt and Needleship like this.
  9. Tarc Novar

Tarc Novar Lieutenant

Unless this active in the gameoptions.yaml file, this doesn't affect you. I haven't activated it, simply because I don't know the command line or where the option is located in the EAH.

10. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

With the increase in armour value it may be to avoid people spamming them over the hull as extra protection?

dpburke2 and Needleship like this.
  11. Needleship

Needleship Master of Custom Terrain

Whoops. Yes, these are not in the prefabs. Looks like an oversight.- Good catch! :)

12. stanley bourdon

This is correct but misleading. There is a setting to turn on block limits, all block limits. If your server has block limits turned on to limit guns/drills to the default that will also enable the new limit on SV/HV cockpits. Before someone says you can edit some file, I do not expect my admin to need to fiddle with several additional files each and every update.

- Added max count of 2 for SV/HV cockpits (per group) - only active if enabled in gameoptions.yaml

This line makes it seem as if it is a separate function, not the already inplace block limit setting.

Still no word as to the reason for this new limit. I would like to know what problem this solves. Or what future issue it is hoped to prevent.

dpburke2 likes this.
  13. Fossil

Fossil Lieutenant

So anytime I exit the game or shutdown my server via TelNet (saveandexit 0) all EXE's hang and crash. Didn't experience any issues prior to this update. hrm

14. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

My fear is that this is the reasoning. Which to me says more about the balancing of the cockpit versus hardened steel--values that can be adjusted as necessary for a game in alpha. Part of the reason I gave examples of builds that I have either completed or WIP with more than two cockpits is to illustrate that it isn't all about having every cockpit there just for combat effectiveness, but they can also be balanced for creativity. Some of those builds with more cockpits than I thought make sense doesn't mean I think anyone should come along and arbitrarily have told those players to use only two. Although those excess cockpits didn't make sense to me, I think those players should have had the freedom to do so. So if the armor cockpits are being used instead of the classic armor blocks, that tells me that the cockpits need to be rebalanced, not restricted.

15. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

Yep, my HV tank with 3 cockpits is illegal in my new survival game. Warning that it exceeds the device limit. All because I went with a custom difficulty when creating the game and included the button to enforce device limits.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  16. gridpoet

gridpoet Ensign

Is there any word on when we are going to be getting the 2 harder starting planets back?

mR_kAt likes this.
  17. mR_kAt

mR_kAt Captain

I'd like to see a "hard" version of a Temperate planet start. Not the planet itself being very tough but the starting items being extremely sparse, with no NPC trading buildings on the starter planet (nor empty POIs for looting).

18. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I took a Stopwatch and started the game fresh after a night break - Loading time until start screen with menu THREE Minutes.
    If I start the game after a few hours break the loading time is about 30-40 sec.

TK85 likes this.
  19. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Initial game load is really long for me, too. A lot longer in alpha 9.5 than in previous versions.

Germanicus likes this.
  20. Needleship

Needleship Master of Custom Terrain

Seems to me like some 'aquired taste' ;) - For a lush Temperate at least. - Not sure, how much followers such a start would have...

It can be rather quickly made by turning off some POI in the TemperateStarter- but will make the planet more lonely, and breaks stuff.

Again, the quick-and dirty way would be:

To copy the 'TemperateStarter'-folder, renaming it "TemperateStarterOriginal" instead.
    Now go the the 'TemperateStarter'-folder and overwrite the "playfield_static.yaml" with this file provided here.

The TemperateStarter folder is at (steam)\steamapps\common\Empyrion-Galactic Survival\content\playfields.

Most of the Talon and Polaris will be missing, since the trading hubs are the spawn anchors for all the other POI.

- Not really tested. May be some traders left in there.
    - Missions will be all broken.
    - No tutorial.
    - No guarantees for fun.

(If that is still too much starter gear, choose 'hard' gear. ;) )

-- If you use a program like 'Notepad++', you can even turn off more stuff yourself.
    Mark the POI entry, then press STRG+K, to comment it out, SHIFT+STRG+K to comment it back in.
    Everything with a '#' symbol is commented out.
    Work with a copy. Don't move any lines, or add even a single space, else it will all break. To be sure, start up the solar system generator, choose the TemperateStarter Template, and press 'Generate' button. If nothing red appears in the line at the top, it is good to go.

Attached Files:

mR_kAt and ravien_ff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.