Alpha 9.5: Armored Cockpits, New Planet, Advanced Game Start

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Just a few posts up there is your answer :)

2. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

One of my old dual-cockpit ships.... works great in co-op. Whoever jumps in first, is pilot. Works great when one cockpit is blown, the other immediately takes control and can get to safety.

Hopefully the limit is never reduced to just '1'....

[​IMG]

Gosh I miss those old slimmer turrets.... lol.

ravien_ff, Cleff and dpburke2 like this.
  3. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    that looks... old :p

Honestly with CPU in A10, things will prob change

Frigidman likes this.
  4. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Its soooooooo old.

Heck I think it came about in pre-alpha originally.

dpburke2 and Taelyn like this.
  5. AlbaN

AlbaN Commander

Hi,
    Question about upgrade cockpit using multitool.
    Is this the right recipe? I get back resources for the new cockpit instead of replacing the current one.
    Is it supposed to be 4x Glass Plate instead of 1xCockpit?

Red.jpg

Just asking ;)

6. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

This is a very important comment.

Why? Because you can't place seats in front of consoles. They sit right in the center of the block too far away from anything. They block movement and look completely isolated.

The same is true for the swivel chairs, npcs, etc. We need some offset variations, to the front, back and sides.

This, and some more involving art and models for passenger seats would, Imo, go a long ways to addressing some of the issues limiting block devices has caused.

7. dpburke2

dpburke2 Captain

My other thought is to separate the open and enclosed cockpits. The ones that are used for armor cheats are limited to 2. The open cockpits can then maybe have a limit of 4? One for each of N, S, E, and W--for creativity purposes.

This could also allow you to handle open and enclosed cockpits differently.

As a user of tiny HV, I think the open cockpit should offer different protection and not just the number of hit points. I want to feel like I am driving a load lifter from Aliens or those mini-mechs from Avatar when taking my tiny HV into battle. In other words, I am protected by the armor of the cockpit but it is not absolute, to fight the "badass" aliens. I figure adding random probability on what gets through might be appropriate, but just making it some flat percentage would probably be far simpler. Say like 25 percent of all damage gets through along with a chance of toxins, infections and such from alien combat. One of my memorable assaults on the interior of a POI was when I had to retreat back to base to get treatment for an infection when an alien struck me. Despite whatever was going on that allowed all damage through, I still crushed the aliens with my tiny HV, but having to retreat for treatment was a cool touch. Now I might have been a bit upset about the amount of the damage I took ignoring the cockpit I was sitting in, but the fact that I did get infected and wasn't totally protected was immersive and felt right. My only concern is that since the open cockpit was in the same group as the others that having separate behavior for protection might be an issue, so I kept my mouth shut mostly until now. I would make the argument that you shouldn't eliminate all protection from the open cockpit. To illustrate, I have drafted a concept for a tiny vessel that uses an enclosed cockpit to do the same job inside a POI, but the cost that the cockpit takes up so much of the tiny build is the major deterrent from doing so. I am just asking for a balance that brings a little more immersion and feels more like getting immersed in a scifi movie--part of the reason Ripley's battle with the alien queen was interesting is that Ripley was still at risk through the openings in the cockpit--plus possibly alleviating some of our backlash of a limit of 2 cockpits.

8. Myrmidon

Myrmidon Rear Admiral

I understand. I made the, now archived bug report, because with a version of the client before the date I made it I was working fine even with my custom config values. Seems I falsely assumed it was a bug. I will edit to something closer to normal values.

Taelyn likes this.
  9. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

on behalf of the Ocean Planet... I noticed several Water-Texture failing around stones that were close to the surface or only half submerged.
    You can see it by just flying/ driving close to it.
    X.Gemina_2019-03-11_18-34-39.png

New Planet, old Bugs...drilled out Deposits remain 100% full, at least as the floating text says;)
    X.Gemina_2019-03-11_20-54-05.png
    Should I file a bug report?

ravien_ff likes this.
  10. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

Just come back after a long break, and things are looking very good. Congrats Eleon on lots of very nice improvements. But I'm still noticing a few micro-stutters and performance lags when flying around a temperate planet in my SV (far fewer than before, however). Riding around on the bike seems smoother than ever, however, with no "flipping" if I go downhill too fast (so far...)

I've been trying a few of the missions, which are shaping up nicely too. However, I think the Polaris drone mission (find drones, kill them) seems only to work on the starter planet; you can enable it elsewhere but, afaik, the "starter" location (wreckage near the crash site on the starter planet) doesn't seem to show yellow. Bit of a pain, as your rep doesn't appear to follow you from one planet to another, so doing the ore-scouting mission (once an hour...) is rather a slow way to rebuild your relationship if you feel like trading.

dpburke2 likes this.
  11. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

@Taelyn It is good that you spend a lot of time answering community topics, just want to say thanks ^-^
    It was never done so often before and now it seems every day you try to answer everything you can.
    Good to see this sort of interaction :)))

Keep up the good work !

runlykhel, AlbaN, dpburke2 and 5 others like this.
  12. Kalista

Kalista Commander

Have you paid attention to if its a specific biome you get the stutters during or just on the planet in general? I get a few near deep forests but they stop soon as i enter or go away from it.

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

As do I. Right click option pretty please? :)

Scoob.

Space Beagle and Frigidman like this.
  14. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    I do my best :)

Thanks for the kind words :)

15. rebuilthk47

rebuilthk47 Lieutenant

I'm curious, is the current voxel setup that forces buildings to face East/West and North/South rather than any direction we want (like when placing SV/HV/CV) a fundamental permanent foundation of the game, or is it something that could be changed (not will be changed, but possible)?

I'm guessing it's a permanent thing that the game is built on. I can understand why and a "yes" would confirm my understanding to be correct, but I figured I'd ask (I feel like this may have been asked before too). However, if it isn't will the game be changed eventually, or will the new engine update make that easier to do?

I do ask for a bit of a specific reason, besides the specific reason of my own understanding of how the game functions. There is a really awesome creation called the Omicron Express hover tram. It is such a cool idea and designed so well. It's biggest flaw is that the game doesn't have blocks that allow for curves. I know this as I've spent hours trying, even with the new blocks. That and placing buildings in a gridlocked (N/S/E/W) position means you must have several tracks and stations going directly N/S/E/W from location to location. I don't anticipate blocks to allow for curves to happen for some time, but it would be really nice. I'm eager enough as it is for A10 and what it has in store.

Cleff likes this.
  16. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I believe the restriction was put in place when the AI pathfinding algorithm was updated to allow NPCs to transition between terrain and structures. Only the devs might know if it's something that could be refined in the future, but my guess is that it's here to stay for the time being.

Needleship and rebuilthk47 like this.
  17. Wonder Dog

Wonder Dog Ensign

Ok I have just died from Talon's in the first hour of a new start because the talon area was in near the starting area.

Is the Tutorial updated for alpha 9 as it said nothing about not picking or mining the tutorial area if it in faction zone.

I have not played since alpha 5 or 6 and do like the updated tutorials but may need to be fleshed out a bit about factions.

I have only started three games in A9 my first one has Zirax faction covering the 2 of the starter ores and the big wreckage and was that a shock to see them so early. Run away! well bunny hop away. Did not even know what the red area was at that time.

My second game I played with 'Weights and Measures' erh Volumes, and need to spend some time looking at new designs as my poor ship can not get off the ground. Love the logistics system thou.

Third game has talon near the crash site and I though they were fine / peaceful but not when you pick the plants and harvest the rocks in their territory. One dead dog :)

Are the factions meant to spawn so close to the crash site or on top of the starter ores and wreckage in Temperate and Arid starts or just not appeasing the RNG gods correctly?

Edit: Did not mean Akua and Omicron starts

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  18. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    As Geostart explained. Unless we find a better way for NPCs to walk around (witch we didn't yet) then this will stay for the time beeing. Ofcours an engine upgrade can make the difference but not in the U2018 version (witch were not ready to deploy. We have some hickups). Ofcours we keep looking for better possibilities just atm our focus is with A10 and when the time let's it U2018

Needleship and rebuilthk47 like this.
  19. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Different seeds will give different results. I currently dont know how far Akua/Omicron is optimised. Believe the default SP game works better and also has a better tutorial

20. Wonder Dog

Wonder Dog Ensign

Oops I meant temperate & arid with the Robinson protocol just used to calling the starting planets Akua and Omicron