Alpha 9.5: Armored Cockpits, New Planet, Advanced Game Start

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by EleonGameStudios, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Ah that one is optimised for sure for A9 atleast we believe so :)

If u have feedback on it : https://empyriononline.com/threads/a9-revised-game-start-tutorial.46785/
    Feel free to post it there so the right person can take care of it :)

2. rebuilthk47

rebuilthk47 Lieutenant

OHHHHH! Right! I remember that now. Yeah okay. Thanks for the reminder and clarification on the engine.

Taelyn likes this.
  3. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Commander

PDA Mission - issue log. (not sure if these are being tracked anyware else...)

My single player, vanilla game. I have been following the Polaris mission path. I completed Chapter1 - "totally overpowered", then whilst still at the final location (Club Inferno), I activated the next chapter "Privacy Matters". You can see the brief on the screen shot below. The only info provided is to shoot drones and on the check box on the right hand UI - Find Location.

After shooting down random drones on a couple of planets, I cannot proceed as there is no hint or clue as to where the "location" is, no waypoint that often appears in these mission, no planet name to go to, no POI or other notable feature.

- I think this needs to be amended to cease becoming a dead end to this mission path/tree.

upload_2019-3-13_20-31-43.png

4. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    File a bug report please

5. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

Advanced Game Start: I like the concept of this. I've been using it and it works well. I wouldn't really say it is too easy, since the starter base is pretty clunky and it usually has hostile insects around it, which sometimes spawn right in my face. It is a nice change from the escape pod all the time.

I would like to recommend it be implemented in another way. Instead of a second starter planet, it should just affect how the starter biome is generated. That way it can be paired with any planet type that is a starter planet. Right now, you can't do an "advanced start" on an arid planet, for example. And it would be nice to eventually have other starter planet types (swamp, ocean, snow). If you had to multiply each world by two in the system for each start, it would be cluttered.

Another "quick start" option would be to start at a trading station with some number of credits. If someone mainly wants to do something like PVP with other players, starting from scratch every time is kind of tedious.

It might also make sense to lock the advanced start options until someone has completed survival mode at least once. (What is meant by "completed" is open to interpretation - finished the tutorial, made it off the starting planet, or finished some missions.)

6. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

Faction Missions: I have noticed some of these are repeatable.

I like the idea of repeatable missions but I think it is too easy to have repeatable missions where you do not have to go to a specific NPC to get the mission. I think repeatable missions would be better if you got them at some station by talking to an NPC, and the missions they had available were just random at any given time.

It might also make sense to allow you to repeat them only once per planet. Right now it is easy to max out Polaris support by just exploring the world to find ore deposits. (Well, fairly easy, because whether a new deposit counts for the mission or not seems unreliable.)

7. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

Reduced requirements for making ore out of crushed stone:

I don't mind reducing the requirements. But I do not like how all ore types require the same number of crushed stone. It was more "correct" before: in a typical rock, copper is rare, silicon is common, iron is in between.

I don't remember the numbers before but I think it was sort of like copper=25, iron=20, silicon=15.

Most rocks have a really high percentage of silica. To just lower the requirements to make ore, consider: copper=20, iron=10, silicon=5.

If you want to get more realistic, consider silicon=5, iron=10, magnesium=20, and not allowing rock to be converted to copper at all. Copper is a trace element in most rocks, and there seem to be plenty of copper-rich rocks laying around anyway. Before finding mines, I usually find myself limited by iron or silicon, which is silly considering how much silicon is in the rocks around you (most common solid element by far, available in basically limitless supply).

geostar1024 likes this.
  8. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I'd favor 100:1 for copper (that gets most of the way toward its actual elemental abundance). But, in any case, yes, it's ridiculous that in the early game, silicon is most often the limiting material.

9. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

Well, we have to remember that none of these planets are earth so with that in mind, crushed stone could have any element in it really and in different ratios than you'd find in real life.

10. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

True, but Earth is always a decent place to start when extrapolating for rocky planets with active hydrology and (presumably) plate tectonics. Realistically, you'd expect different abundances on moons and non-Earth-like planets, but we don't have the ability to set per-planet ratios for filtering ores out of rock (though that would be very interesting).

Kargen Dracos likes this.
  11. Ian Einman

Ian Einman Captain

The composition of extraterrestrial planets isn't such a mystery, a lot is known about it. First of all, the rough distribution of elements in the universe is known by observation and understanding the various processes that create them (stellar evolution, supernovae, cosmic radiation). Certain parts of the universe may have more heavy metals than others based on how many generations of stars have formed there, etc. Then, a given planet will separate out denser elements to the core and lighter elements to the top, and that degree of separation depends on how hot the planet was, whether it has tectonic activity, etc.

But all things considered, it is basically a given that any terrestrial planet is going to have a lot of silicon and aluminum in the crust, and a lot of iron and nickel at the core. Some planets may have higher concentrations of rare elements but it is pretty unlikely you'd ever find a planet made of gold, outside of imagination.

Of course, it is a game, so one can make things up, but the science is what it is. Gas giants are predominantly hydrogen+helium, ice giants have more nitrogen+oxygen(+water), and terrestrial planets are high in silicon, aluminum, and iron in the crust, and iron+nickel(+silicon) in the core. That's just what the processes that create the elements, and the planets out of the elements, lead to.

Before human civilization, the earth did have a lot more copper, silver, gold, and various gemstones exposed on the surface, which were eventually collected and used by people for tools as well as ornamental value. So finding gold laying around a newly discovered planet is quite possible. But the dominant element in the crust is still likely to be silicon, and stuff like gold and copper are going to be a trace elements.

12. DeadliestIdiot

DeadliestIdiot Lieutenant

Just as a side note, I think I found the advanced start structure on an arid start (not in the starting biome, of course).

13. Flash Hendricks

Flash Hendricks Captain

Is is just me, or does the SV detector just not work? I get "hits" (red bars) and fly towards them. Sometimes they shift to another point of the compas (artifact of the grid, I assume), but sometimes they just disappear. Sometimes I fly through an empty quadrant then get a hit right behind me. Sometimes, I get a bar, find something (such as an ore deposit) but the bar persists, then I hit a POI or another deposit (so I would have thought I should have initially had two hits?), but still have one bar. Then another hit. Or nothing? Are others seeing this too?

Also, I'm seeing the map "clear" (i.e. showing as explored and empty), but getting detector hits and then finding things. Seems like the distances, etc., need tweaking perhaps.

14. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Captain

Yeah these are the things we kept reporting over and over when the detectors were first introduced, and it's still a major problem.

When exploring the "quadrants" that get uncovered are still WAY too large. This leads to players uncovering the entire map but not finding even half of the things that are there.
    This has been a problem since day one and it hasn't seen one bit of love, sadly.

They really need to make it like 7 days to die map fog.

Flash Hendricks likes this.
  15. ASTIC

ASTIC Commander

16. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Commander

OK done!

Taelyn likes this.
  17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Normally you start or try to start only missions that are offered AND available to you by your Faction Standing. The Solo Missions are a different Path to the Faction Missions.
    So, after finding some Deposits for the Polaris you get Privacy Matters offered as this is a follow up of neutral RP Level Missions and is to be done on the Starter Planet within the area of the small wreckage's...

18. TK85

TK85 Captain

With the advent of CPUs, will some artificial limitations, such as the limitation of types of turrets, drop?

19. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I believe that should be a yes.

TK85 likes this.
  20. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Yes we will look at the current limits and adjust them to CPU

The it will be a player choice. Do I add more cargo, or a constructor (or something like that) or an extra turret