Alpha 9 EXPERIMENTAL - Revised Game Start Tutorial

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    With Alpha 9 we changed the game start mission slightly back to a more tutorial-like approach again, but without the "holding hands" appeal of previous tutorials.

The tasks you are asked to do shall help a new player to get the very basics of the game without being forced to exercise tasks over and over again.

Feedback: HOW does this new approach work for you? (Imagine you were a NEW player that never has played Empyrion before)

20181205090823_1.jpg

Note: Where is the Robinson Protocol and other Story missions (Totally Overpowered & Ancient Revelations)?

With the addition of NPC-Factions and Territories, we aim to add and redesign the available missions and fit them to that new game aspect. This not only includes the three "big" story missions, but also all the other missions that were available in the PDA already.

The Alpha 8 story missions are still available from the SOLO MISSIONS tab, but will see a revision (and integration in the factions gameplay) anytime soon.

20181205090832_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

3. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    -tba-

4. Vermillion

Vermillion Captain

The four loot containers on the neutral POI that's spawned for the final step of the tutorial should be changed from Very Rare to Common.
    I walked away from the effortless tutorial mission with 2 sets of heavy armor and several T2 and Elite weapons and an XL CV thruster or two. If that's what you get from the basic tutorial, it kills pretty much any progress from the rest of the game.
    At that point I didn't even have light armor and only had a T1 shotgun.

5. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

I was working on the Robinson Protocol - Base Building and the game did not progress after I had placed the 20 wood blocks.
    I had to manually finish the mission.

Then, while I was working on Basic Exploration, my wood base came under attack from a rocket drone.
    ... and I had not even crafted a weapon yet.
    Basic Exploration also recommends that the player create an assault rifle, and the survival constructor cannot make one of those.

Base Building should be expanded to include things like placing a constructor & armor locker, and (if the player of following the Robinson protocol) the base should be exempt from drone attacks until the player has crafted a weapon.
    Side note, a rocket drone is a little much for a beginning player with a wood base and a shotgun.

Another side note, part of Basic Survival directs the player to the Wreckage POI.
    So, the player is at the wreckage POI, and has to make a new base elsewhere?
    Not place a core in the POI and start their base there?

... then you start the solo mission Story - The Beginning and it directs the player to make the wreckage POI their new base.
    Also, when I was on A Way Out the wall never exploded, I was able to get out of the tower by shooting the exploding blocks, and gained negative rep with the Zirax.

Germanicus likes this.
  6. Vermillion

Vermillion Captain

Similarly, the Robinson Protocol tutorial overlaps with The Beginning quest rewards. Whereas doing the beginnings quests gives you a motorbike, ores, crops, detector, etc... while the robinson protocol tutorial quest requires you to craft those things.

The Robinson Protocol tutorial quests are also, technically out of order. One of the first ones to do involves making a drill, when a drill is definitely not what you should be doing at that stage, or really any stage of the tutorial quest without any way to store and transport ores (with volume system). Additionally, one of the last quests you do is to make the motorbike, long after you'd need it. By this stage, i'd had an HV for a while.

Pach and Germanicus like this.
  7. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    Should be fixed in the next update

8. Hummel-o-War

• Developer
    I am afraid we will have to redo the "old" Robinson Protocol missions in a next step.

Germanicus likes this.
  9. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

'Unlock and craft portable constructor'
    Possibly add an initial step of 'reach level 3æ', to make sure the player understands how the unlock vs level system works?
    Just a thought. Otherwise it seems to touch on all the *basic* needed to get going

That being said, I noticed you don't actually have to hit 'unlock', but rather it unlocks everything when you hit the level.. Given this isn't a bug (Which is seems like), this might be obsolete to have an additional step

Additionally, maybe to reiterate the 'consuming' mechanic, maybe make the player eat the second crafted bar aswell? Repeating tasks is a good way to learn, and since food + consuming is a pretty vital mechanic to understand, perhabs a good idea to reiterate.

10. TheRealRonin

TheRealRonin Lieutenant

That came in my mind to. Ive started with slow progress already killed a bunch of spiders and collected lots of stuff but still far away from lvl 3 while advancing to this point of the protocol.

11. Andreykl

Andreykl Commander

Tried first two parts of tutorial and here my impressions:
    - Volume is now a thing but tutorial says nothing about that. I totaly forgot about volume and by the time I reached wreck/beacon inventory was full. It could have notified player "Wreckage can have some things to salvage or loot, if you are not planing to build a base in one it is better to make sure you have some space in your inventory. Consider emptying your inventory to somewhere (your escape capsule? Constructor?), it has some space to spare."
    - It might be better to make Contructor a priority in tutorial, otherwise player will run out of space really fast
    - Tutorial wreck was 1.3km away at Zirax territory, not sure if it should have been like this...
    - Second part of tutorial did not auto activate unlike third (might be because I was in inventory).
    - I placed constructor then started second part of tutorial, had to shift-f constructor and place it again, but tutorial did not react.
    - Mining 10x ores (30x total) takes more then 500l volume, tutorial should have notified about that before I found out that iron will despawn because I have no space. Reminder to 'mind your inventory' or something...
    - I placed all 20 blocks of wood but tutorial didn't react (blocks were crafted before core, but tutorial properly registered that they were crafted)
    - Prior to 'power' part of second stage of tutorial it might be better to have part about unlocking generator/fuel technologies (just in case), new players might forget about it. If player did unlock those, part can auto-close.
    - Alternatively the 'power' part of second stage of tutorial could have mentioned that generator and fuel tank might need unlocking (just in case).
    - The 'power' part of second stage of tutorial said that I can build either solars or generator, but it shows only tank and generator, not battery and solars.
    - Tutorial doesn't seem to cover various environmental conditions (I think 'Too Cold' condition should start short tutorial about protecting yourself from cold and heat, their effects).

- I failed to do third part of tutorial because by the time I reached it drones decided that it is nice time to pay me a visit and I had no weapons. From my point of view this is a Huge Flaw!) Tutorial should have covered it before starting on base building.

P.S. Please let us craft concrete blocks as alternative to 20 wood blocks.
    And I'm pretty sure getting oxygen/water should have been added before building base... at least it should be more important for 'start' on planet with unbreathable atmosphere.
    Bug with mobile constructor, secondary query doesn't show progress and is buggy:
    20181207012735_1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Lhetre likes this.
  12. Pach

Pach Captain

My notes on tutorial so far (I started plain, medium setting game to test the tutorial, temperate medium planet, all the defaults):
    • In single player, the game should automatically pause while in the PDA/log doing the tutorial. It does not need to be for anytime the PDA is accessed; just during the tutorial: give new players space to breathe while reading how to play the game. Once the tutorial is complete, this can be dropped (or leave it permanent... either way).
    • There is no explanation of most of the gear in your starter inventory. Every item should be explained. I started with a device to protect against heat/cold, and kept running into areas too hot. Some sort of environment explanation, and what you can do to protect/heal/counter it is needed: the little portable heat/ac unit, and the tent should be explained. Consequences of staying too long in red temperatures (too hot/too cold).
    • I'm told early on to mine a rock, but there is no explanation of different types of rock bearing ores. This is really critical early on. Something like "Most rocks give only crushed rock, but smaller rocks with colored veins will give particular useful ores."
    • How to jump. Yes, I know how to jump, but jumping helps go up steep hills, and I had a lot of up/down terrain in my seed (388213).
    • There's a whole set of information missing for the Arid start, unless you intend the Arid start to either have no tutorial, or one created specifically for it.
    • I nearly had to cross water to get to my wreckage. An explanation of swimming somewhere when told to find the signal, in case they have to cross water would be nice?
    • How to fight/defend yourself with the survival tool, preferably before you are sent to the wreckage. I was attacked by 4 spiders just as I got to mine. A warning to keep an eye out for hostile creatures, or creatures that might view you as breakfast, as you are starting for the wreckage might be in order?
    • Xps are still extremely high for killing creatures. Not sure if this is intended as a permanent thing, but I got 600+ xps per spider, which practically doubled everything I had to that point.
    More comments as I keep playing...

Edit, more comments:

• How to change to 3rd person view (default is V). Some people (like me) don't like 1st person.
    • After you kill something, the dangers of eating unprocessed/uncooked meat. Cook in portable constructor. Also the note that some foods can restore health as well as hunger.
    • How to tell what mode your survival tool is in by the icon at the bottom. I hate shooting bugs with my rock drill. :p
    • The instructions to make a drill do not tell you what to do if the icon is RED, and how to figure out what materials you need (or that you may need to look at the component materials to see the raw materials needed. e.g. optical cable needs silicon). This is where you need to know about the ore bearing rocks, and where to find each type. I only knew to look for silicon in water because of something I read in a post here. That should be in the tutorial: silicon in shallow water, copper... etc.
    • When you need silicon to make the drill, you need to know how to swim, and that holding a weapon sinks you to the bottom, you have only a few seconds of air with no helmet, etc. The message on entering water says "no helmet", but in a tutorial, you don't realize you are getting that because you have no armor/helmet at all yet. That should be explained.
    • Biofuel crafting instructions mention fiber plants, but wood logs from trees are actually faster/more efficient for making fuel. How to get logs from trees with survival tool (in defense mode) and that they can be used for the fuel should be mentioned.
    More as I keep playing...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  13. Andreykl

Andreykl Commander

Finished third and fourth part of tutorial:
    - weapon crafting really should have went before base crafting.
    - armor crafting is useless, we don't have locker yet, either locker should be covered (constructed and installed, boosts explained) or there should be no armor in tutorial.
    - Vehicle part doesn't remind player that vehicle need to be fueled (just in case). Actually same is true about base part of tutorial, it doesn't remind about need to turn base On either

Didn't know that...

Cluascorp, IronCartographer and Pach like this.
  14. Damocles

Damocles Captain

Related to the start: when a new player chooses to do the tutorial, you should also make the starter area a safe zone, as before.
    I have had a spider attack, even before I had a chance to open my inventory the first time.

That is going to deter new players, who dont know the games mechanics yet.

For experienced players you could keep the current unsafe setup.

Andreykl likes this.
  15. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

For the record, you can craft an Armor locker and PLACE it on the Wreckage even without Core or Energy...that sins Alpha7.6 possible

16. Andreykl

Andreykl Commander

I know that, I looted enough POIs to notice) But when tutorial asks to craft armor and weapons player already has a 'base' so it is not important in scope of current tutorial.

But how new player will know to place locker in first palce? Either tutorial should not ask to craft armor or should ask to craft both armor and locker (or in worst case mention that locker is needed/ask to use locker to wear armor).

Cluascorp, Germanicus and Pach like this.
  17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I see your point:)

IronCartographer and Ravis like this.
  18. Robot Shark

Robot Shark Rear Admiral

Anyone else seeing foliage/rocks inside the POI's?
    I had to use godmode to flip the switch in the alien tower because there was a tree in the way.

19. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Yeah

NewGame_01_2018-12-05_21-00-11.png

but it as a rendering issue. Same step as always, Log out log in - gone

Robot Shark likes this.
  20. Cluascorp

Cluascorp Lieutenant

I was really surprised i wasn't told to make a weapon. That should be earlier priority. Sorry if this was mentioned already.

Overall - tutorial is much better now.

iClustaFlux and Andreykl like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.