Alpha 9 EXPERIMENTAL - Revised Game Start Tutorial

Discussion in 'Experimental Features Discussion' started by Hummel-o-War, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damocles

Damocles Captain

Overall, teaching a game in a random gen world is pretty error-prone. Its fighting against windmills (any time a system changed, the tutorial needs to be updated, and tested for side-effects...)

The better approach is to leave this all to a handmade scenario. Some very small island-map (on an otherwise water covered planet to have a boundary). Here the triggers and required plants/rocks/spawns can be assured to be available. The tutorial path can be planned better. Its purpose is to teach the mechanics after all, have low frustration and show pretty graphics. The new player should have a good experience when first visiting the game.
    The big "real" game can cause a lot of frustrations for a beginner.

The actual game can then jump right into the story-line later, showing the starting area (resources) to a more experienced player.

2. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

I think this is a better approach aswell for an indepth tutorial.. I think having one 'less tutorialey' for those prone to skipping a dedicated tutorial would be good aswell (as the current is), but having one planet dedicated to it, as we've in the past, would be a good idea yeah. More controlled circumstances = better experience (friendlier start as you suggest yourself)

3. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

Maybe an Akua boot camp start, size 2 planet.

geostar1024 and Germanicus like this.
  4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

That brings me to a weird Idea...Why not starting the Whole story on Earth by learning how the Tools work while...:
    Participants were selected at young age, contingent on showing superior genetic, cognitive and physical attributes. They received extensive combat training and broad engineering skills....http://empyriongame.com/story/

That in mind...Boot Camp on Earth - Departure of the Fleet... graphics of the Andromeda Cloud..boom Suddenly You wake up out of Cryo with Alarms going off and com systems..."All Hand abandon ship! All Hand abandon Ship!"------> You are in he Escape Pod descending on a Planet... Start of EGS:)

5. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Yes, this would be a perfect way to introduce all of the major systems. There could even be a couple of little artificial biomes to introduce things like temperature management and lack of O2.

Exacute likes this.
  6. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

Aye, something along these lines, like the old one.. Focusing it around a moonbase would help on the assets (Trying to make earth feel.. earth-like.. would be quite hard to pull off), so something along the lines of the old tutorial, with a small story, and teaching the mechanics.

I think to be viable, given how much continously change, that it would have to be made of modules, so rather than having big structures like last time, it is smaller pieces.
    For instance one for combat-training, one for farming (etc)

Essentially, everything should be set up as a training ground, that have a little banter / lore-drops.
    In the end, you board this ship for your mission, setting off

As you suggest, some cutscene-eye transition (effectively loading screen -> tp's to another playfield), where some *very* first-person action happens, ending you in an escape-pod, and ending.
    (The player should never be able to see what is attacking, every NPC should be named 'unknown contact' (or similar), and the player should not be able to see any planet. (This would allow for starting on any planet, without feeling weird, aswell as not be spoilerey for the main 'story line' ))

Germanicus and geostar1024 like this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Could be even extended as some kind of Start Area for MP as explanation why so many Players suddenly appear in the same Planet

Exacute likes this.
  8. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

I like to think of that aspect in this way: The escape pods got trapped in some sort of black-holey stuff, that's spitting them out every so often.. (Time basically don't move inside) This would explain time passing, aswell as how some structures might even predate the players..
    I don't think this is cannon, but that is my take on it (Both for SP and MP reasons)

Basically like the premis for this tv-series:

(Andromeda)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    Germanicus likes this.
  9. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Or the escape pods just drifted in space for different amounts of time, which could explain why you start with less health and food on the Hard start (you were close to starving to death before the pod finally got captured by a planet).

Pach and Germanicus like this.
  10. StyxAnnihilator

StyxAnnihilator Captain

When done the basics and "used up" Akua boot camp, then next is SV and leave planet. Continue the boot camp in space, maybe on a moon. There to handle maybe a base with O2 concerns and food production. Building of warp, needed to get more materials for a CV (mobile base)? At last CV with warp and now kicked out of the nest ...

11. Exacute

Exacute Rear Admiral

This is also an explanation yes.. I do prefer mine, even if less likely, simply for being a wink at an oldschool tv-series ;)
    (Updated the post before with a link.. took me a bit to remember the name)

But yeah, either explanation goes for sure.. Although for long-running servers, this become more and more unlikely. Also as you (as a player) only 'start your memory' as you crash.. You would've somewhat likely have been conscious around.. Tho this can be explained away by the pod also providing some sort of 'cryo sleep' or whatever.

I think, past mine being nostalgia, mine is more flexible in the sense that it is quite unlikely that the ship itself have crashed on a planet, but the pods are still randomly getting there months or years later.. Regardless, it would be nice to have some sort of cannon behind this

geostar1024 likes this.
  12. Damocles

Damocles Captain

The story starts with the escape pod getting lost in space .... at the end of the storyline the player finds the Statue of Liberty buried on Akua ;)

zztong and Pach like this.
  13. Pach

Pach Captain

Going to add to this a bit:

I have a friend who picked up the game, and keeps looking for the tutorial, and can't find it, not realizing it's integrated into the random scenario.

Perhaps a button on the start screen "Tutorial", which does the random scenario, and has the tutorial on automatically (you aren't prompted if you want to do it or not), and have the questline optional or turned off unless turned on in the "Random Scenario" option?

But having a "Tutorial" on the main login would help people find it...

14. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

ARID Starter Planet:
    The quest to build a Chain Saw and go to cut down some "Trees"... eventually extend this, in the PDA, with mentioning other Plants that can provide Wood Logs, like those Water Plants/Trees. I point this out because for a Tree I would have had to walk over 1.5km back to the Crash Site. And if you are not so lucky, because the wreckage is even further away....well!

15. serogate

serogate Ensign

I posted this in another thread but the Robinson to harvest plant protein and make an energy bar seems off for aird. In my game there are Veggies everywhere but no protein in the area close enough to progress the mission before running in to trouble with 02. THAT and since it is an arid planet with no O2 why isn't there something pointing out to the player that hey you can make a and O2 generator so you don't suffocate?

16. Monroe

Monroe Lieutenant

(Imagine you were a NEW player that never has played Empyrion before)

A new player is not going to understand why their personal inventory opens on the left, but then is always on the right when they go into Logistics.

Runeshadow, Pach and Cluascorp like this.
  17. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

ARID Starter Planet:
    For a Veteran Player as deadly as for New Player: 3rd Day started with Radiated Fog followed by Heat Wave, 4th Day the Same just a more intense Heat Wave!
    Suggestion: Tweak Weather System so these two Extreme Conditions are not before.... day 5 or Level or what ever. It gives the Player a chance to finish the small Base, fill it with Air, place a Vent .... OR .... wait until the SV is finished...but even there you need enclosed Cockpits... Its definitely not easy for a complete Newbie to survive the Arid Planet in SP.

runlykhel likes this.
  18. IronCartographer

I would hope this is being changed.

It affects everyone, no matter the experience level.

It has tripped me up a few times--and that's after reading complaints about it on the forums first. :rolleyes:

19. Runeshadow

Runeshadow Captain

From the Death Screen, there is no way to return to the Main Menu if the player wishes to start a completely new game.

G Stryker 97 likes this.
  20. Pach

Pach Captain

Radiated fog isn't a big deal, actually. Not if you have any wreckage (even a small wreckage) or other POI you can add blocks to, and about 12 concrete blocks (quick and easy to make with crushed rock).

I've survived it several times very early in game.

Place concrete as part of wreckage/against side of wreckage in a + shape (one side of the + touching the wreckage). Or make a starter base block as the center of the + if you are caught nowhere near anything to build off of. Stand on the middle of the cross, spawn your drone, and put one block on top of each side, and then the last blocks over your head.

This will enclose you completely in concrete. It will NOT protect against temperatures, but WILL protect from the radiated fog.

Once it's safe to leave, you use your survival tool to deconstruct a block to let you out. You don't get anything back, but if you live, who cares? :)

The heat wave: either have your little portable unit, or get in water. Water protects from heat.

Germanicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.