Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 10.3.0

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Jul 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Hi Galactic Survivalists,

We just released A10.3 to the EXPERIMENTAL branch. We plan to release it to public at the beginning of next week. Please let us know what you think about the new "time to next attack" for the base attack feature.

----------

Update 2019-07-23 (Build 2539)

Changes:
    - Enhanced 'structure' console cmd to also allow removing of structure's lock codes and device grouping in Control Panel

Fixes:
    - 'struct remove-device-signals' command not resetting removed circuit signals
    - Base attacks set to OFF in the difficulty setting is not working & attacks are still triggered

----------

Update 2019-07-22 (Build 2538)

Changes:
    - Added console cmd 'structure' to manage structure internals

Fixes:
    - Fixed dark stretching on 3D representation of planets close the poles

----------

Update: July 21, 2019 (Build 2537)
    - Fixed: When some blueprints are spawned they lose their device list & signals setup
    - Fixed: Troop transports freeze above where they should land until reloading back into the save game

----------

CHANGELOG: Alpha 10.3.0 (Build 2535)

Fixes:
    - Save template last saved timer appears incorrect
    - Value 1E+10 for label TorqueAmount in structure (SV_Prefab_Tier1) cannot be converted to Int

----------

CHANGELOG: Alpha 10.3.0 (Build 2534)

Fixes:
    - Ship Controller: Ship high angular speed bug
    - HV mounted drills will not spin/ work until they are close to the terrain
    - Temperate Starter playfield Moon Pole area has pink Alien terrain overlapping the moon terrain
    - HV/SV Cockpit 8 legacy is the same as the non legacy version

----------

Sorry for the non-functioning turrets, but we already fixed it!

CHANGELOG: Alpha 10.3.0 (Build 2533)

Fixes:
    - Turrets not shooting
    - Chainsaw does not start animation unless you only start using it when standing close to a tree
    - Solar panels are not producing any output but appear to be 'online'

----------

CHANGELOG: Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 10.3.0 (Build 2532)

Changes:
    - Planet map: smoothing normals to show less zig zag lines
    - Permissions for adjusting color palette with Configure color window on structures

Fixes:
    - Decoration: Unharvestable Trees
    - Moon playfield has weather after triggering the pole fog
    - OverflowException when parsing numeric faction abbreviations (f.e. '333')
    - Avoiding reported CoQ
    - Usage indicators display incorrectly in HUD
    - Heat & radiation areas break when a BA is rotated
    - Don't showing tracers and particles for a mounted weapon that cannot shoot (because it would hit the own ship, but still using ammo)
    - [MP] CoQ & disconnect from servers when changing playfields whilst still connected to container via wireless connection

----------

CHANGELOG: Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 10.3.0 (Build 2531)

Changes:
    - Since we introduced the new hitscan logic, we do not allow that ships can damage itself any more
    - Base Attack: size has now a slightly stronger impact on BAP

Fixes:
    - Uncontrolled ship rotation after take off from the planet
    - When close to walkway & shutter window blocks the avatar can continue moving with no directional key presses
    - Incorrect structure color palette selected with C/T tool
    - Sit in cockpit and leave can give CoQ

----------

CHANGELOG: Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 10.3.0 (Build 2529)

Updated Base Attack:
    - Added "Time to next attack" to Registry and Control Panel stat window: you will now roughly now when your bases will be attacked
    - Swap out Last Attack time with Next Attack time in Base control panel
    - A base that is under attack will now not be unloaded (DSL) anymore when a player goes far away

Changes:
    - Added Anti-Grief Zone also around Space Asteroids similar to Resource Deposits on planets (when enabled in gameoptions)
    - Structures are now set to invisible before they get DSL'ed
    - Planetary Trading Stations are now discoverable on planets like other POIs (before: on some planets, they had reduced HUD distance due to cluttering)
    - Orbital Trading Stations have now a slightly increased discovery distance (=2500m)
    - Orbital Trading Stations of Polaris faction are now not displayed with Admin map tag anymore

Bug Fixes:
    - Fixed: Hitscan and 3rd Person View
    - Fixed: Useing an ADMIN POI Core makes Polaris, Talon Visable on Map
    - Fixed: When using Discovery=false in playfield.yaml there is no map icon shown
    - Fixed: Sometimes on game entry no structure was DSL'ed
    - Fixed: Hud NPC health bar not at correct value, in some cases
    - Fixed: Some wreckage POIs had no player spawner block (=> player spawned outside in strange positions)
    - Fixed: When spawning in some blueprints they lose their device list & signals setup
    - Fixed: Some blueprints can have missing parts in the visible preview & after spawning in
    - Fixed: Invisible blocks in blueprint spawn preview
    - Fixed: Clone chamber: not possible to paint/texture below
    - Fixed: Wall Mounted sentry view clipping into wall and CAN shoot through wall
    - Fixed: Clipping issue with mini-gun turret
    - Fixed: POI ShieldGenerator not automatic 100%

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2019
  2. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
  3. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

Hey Pantera, by "take off from a planet" do you mean transitioning from planet to orbit playfield? If so, I've had that bug too, but didn't grab a save as I thought it was just my ghost key press issue in a really bad mood! LOL.

Also, I just exited a game to submit a bug on "trees growing in POI's" - this one, believe it or not, was rude enough to grow just behind the door of a Listening Post POI's core room! No joke... I can't get to the core to kill the POI (well, unless I use ship weapons I suppose or a whole crap ton of explosives).

Should I submit that, or since I exited to see a new version ready for download, wait and see if it happens in the new/now current release?

4. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Normally the Trees vanish after re logging. Besides of some made of ...Iron;)

5. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Yes it's already fixed for the next release.
    Is it something that is actually reproducible or completely random ?

6. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

It is "random" in that it does not happen with every single POI I've encountered of late. It is "reproducible" in that it does happen, and has more than once. I have not yet noticed any commonality in environment or variables that might point to why it happens sometimes and not others.

I have two savegames set aside on it, however it also suffers from the "reload behaviour"... when you load the game(s) back in, the offending flora are gone.

I can post a bug report with links to the files if you want... "quick version" screenshots are:

This is the outer corner of the lower level of the Listening Post POI:

2526-4_2019-07-11_09-53-59.png

This is the doorway in the lower level center that leads to the core:

2526-4_2019-07-11_09-55-04.png

Germanicus and Grandirus like this.
  7. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

Per the original post - asking for our opinions on "time to next attack"... ummm.... not sure really, some thoughts - all due respect to everyone at Eleon, but adding that functionality would not be what I - strictly my opinion of course - would classify as "priority development".

That said, since it's already in there - I have 2 critiques/concerns -

1) Not sure about others, but I don't spend too much time in the CP of my bases (outside of when designing and/or refining them)... so it's of limited utility to me. If I go into the CP at all, it's to switch on a toggle and out, 2 seconds at most.

2) Perhaps more importantly - I actually like NOT knowing... once we get turrets functioning correctly, I'd actually like to see base attacks occur when absent from them entirely (i.e. outside that cell and/or even playfield)... this would force players to create bases that stand reasonable chances of defending themselves at ALL times, and keep them stocked with ammo and powered to do so. Even if it were run in a simulated/RNG way when absent, with damage applied to the base appropriate to the attack force strength and many other variables (presence of shields, ammo levels, power, etc. etc. - although I wouldn't call RNG ideal, as some instanced real time combat sim would be better... it would work.

It would also create some fantastic early game conflict - man vs. clock... as in... I really need to go mine some of the promethium I passed over while running away from the Zirax hordes... BUT... not sure my base is up to withstanding an attack without my direct assistance... what do I do?

I decide to chance it, and of course, I'm 50 meters deep into the ground grabbing my second promie rock, and the "base attack" (which I think should be updated to something like "sensors detect incoming enemies forces") hits my alerts... DAMMIT... gotta get back there like, stat!

Yes, I realize that events outside of loaded playfields is a somewhat more involved task, but that functionality is going to have to be added/enhanced on numerous fronts more so than currently exists, so this might serve as a good way to implement and test some such chunk of code.

Knowing when every base attack is coming has some utility for testing I suppose, and for those that are into "defend the tower" type games - but for as long as I've been playing Empyrion, it is FAR more than a simple defend the tower or MOBA style game... and I really, really hope it stays that way.

8. Kalista

Kalista Commander

Have to second this knowing when an attack is coming isn't something i personally like if it was more vague on when it would be alot more agreeable.

9. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I don't think this would be a good change. Maybe as a game difficulty option (that's defaulted to off). But the problem is that it would discourage players from colonizing multiple planets or even from exploring too far from their main base.

GenghisBob likes this.
  10. Philipp

Philipp Captain

I have this bug, too, its random but its very often:
    WombatOnTathagat_2019-07-10_17-37-14.png Wombtastisch_2019-07-07_00-03-23.png WorldWideWombat_2019-07-07_22-58-34.png

Also, do you think you could add something against that bug in the next update(s) ?:
    https://empyriononline.com/threads/cant-chop-specific-tree.55976/

Cause it's very frustrating and affects more than just trees, also rocks and it's not that they can't get chopped, they also regrow (also rocks!) and couldn't get harvested then, but respawn even near / in POI's and Bases.

stanley bourdon likes this.
  11. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

Hey Ravien,

I see your point - and pretty much every suggestion and/or opinion I render here (or any forum) as it relates to content/gameplay comes with a blanket "it should be a selectable option"... in my view, the hallmark of some of the best games I've ever played is loading up for the first time, clicking "Options", and seeing an 8 page multi-tabbed, expanding drop down, veritable cornucopia of options! LOL. ;)

If I may play devils advocate here for a moment - again, I take your point, however I would counter that the discouragement to explore you - correctly - warn of would really be a function of poorly defended/designed base builds, not the occurrence of player-absent attacks, no?

If you have made the effort to build a good sturdy base, properly stocked her, you should feel unafraid to venture into the depths of space.

Alternatively, as I've seen progression in the game in the last couple of years, it tends to go Starter HV or SV -> First Real BA -> (optionally) Orbital BA -> CV... once you get to your mid range or even "granddaddy" CV, your base becomes largely irrelevant (aside from DeCon and Furnace facilities, which while convenient, are not mission critical)... So in that case, your "base" (aka CV) moves with you.

Of course, this is all through the lens of single player. In a proper MP game, it's a very different matter... I hosted a server for a couple years, and honestly Zirax base attack was barely even an afterthought (of course, this being long before it's recently being "beefed up")... the bigger concern there of course was player attack - but that was the fun of the game really.

Understanding that we are still in Alpha (early Alpha really), and the primary development path is the addition of functionality, I do think that creating "outputs" is something that needs to be considered if only in a "down the road" manner - making the game mechanics "taketh away" resources... in this case materials required to build, stock and maintain formidable bases.

Perceived value is a function of rarity or scarcity - and in it's present incarnation, EGS has basically ZERO scarcity in resources (my toon typically walks around with 10.6 TONS of stuff in inventory, and my base/CV cargo? I can't even look... LOL)

. I get that's a "balancing in beta" thing, but if the framework is laid in Alpha, then would it not be wise to add framework that creates game mechanics that will create potential outputs for that scarcity down the road?

The best outputs are ones that are mandated by immersion-friendly game systems, as opposed to arbitrary limits and processes... I personally think that this is an excellent example of how to create an output, completely within the milieu of the game world!

(i.e. creating bases that can defend themselves properly, even in your absence, requires better design, more devices, more ammo than otherwise would be needed, more power, etc. etc. In short, it consumes resources, and therefore, increases scarcity).

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

You make some good points in your post, but don't forget the mass/volume system! Moving your life savings around with you in a CV can now get fuel intensive, especially if you want to land on a planet. Plus CVs can't use solar power so you don't have a completely "free" source of energy.

Creating bases is still very much a game play style for many players. Some even build multiple bases next to each other (solar farm, solar furnace, main base, bank base, etc). Find a nice planet to call your home.
    Since the player won't be there to witness any actual battle, any battle would essentially be simulated. It would just mean every base would drain ammo/take damage and need repairs over time but no actual battle would be fought. Players would spend time ferrying supplies back and forth between their various bases, or returning from an exploration trip early to check on their home base.

So yeah as long as it's optional it could add game play value for those who want it, and those who don't just won't enable the option so everybody is happy. :D But it would be incredibly difficult to add in a way that actually brings game play value with it. We're talking about a simulated math equation basically. Base size + number of turrets + shields versus number of attacking drones and troops = outcome of draining X ammo and dealing Y damage to base every Z days. It's essentially base decay.

Philipp likes this.
  13. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

Fair point - I've decided to avoid the mass/volume systems until a major balance pass is done... I mean a Large Combat Steel block has a volume of what 60? Whereas a Large Steel one has a volume of 15?

Given the same atmospheric pressure and temperature for comparison, a 2x2x2 m cube of Combat Steel with a Kelvar skin and a Kryptonite core has exactly the same volume as a 2x2x2 m square of Balsa wood that's hollow in the middle...

Also, while I will say it's a nice piece of coding and has some great conveniences - the Logistics system? So... with an eye toward implementing volume limits (which again, I'm fully in favour of once someone figures out what volume actually means)... we then create a completely immersion breaking system to circumvent the limitation we just imposed?

Does that make sense to anyone?

I agree that's likely how it would be implemented for efficiencies sake - but it doesn't have to be. With correct variable management and some fine tuning, it would be possible to design bases that overcome attacks without any lasting damage - yes, it would "under the hood" still be a math equation... and yes, I grant you, it would be an ammo drain... but that was my point... consume resources, create scarcity.

For the builder only types (we had a great bunch of lads on my server that fit that description - it actually worked out rather well, the explorer and PVP'ers would contract them to design, build, or tweak and refine their ships in return for resources and protection... great fun!)... I get that multi-base management could be a real pain in the hind quarters... as you said, both perspectives solved by a simple options toggle, and all's well throughout the lands! :)

14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Random issue, just wanted to check in with others...

I was mining in my small HV using "Fixed" mode and it was working great. Suddenly, my HV exited "Fixed" mode and the "Drill Mode" option vanished entirely from the top of the right-hand HUD panel. I now cannot engage "Fixed" mode at all. Anyone else seeing this?

Note that exiting the HV and getting back in restores the "Drill Mode" HUD entry and switching between modes.

Edit: To reliably trigger this...

Mine as usual while using "Fixed" mode.
    Access the Harvest Inventory and either throw something out (rock to trash) or Move some collected ore to a different slot.
    The "Drill Mode" entry vanishes and the HV exits "Fixed" mode.

Scoob.

15. xerxes86

xerxes86 Lieutenant

Bingo! Was wondering when someone would notice this. Or the other option, tear down you base before you leave. Why listen to/read multiple "your baes is under attack" messages. Also not know which one, if you have more than one. They could also rename the game Vagabonds of Empyrion, since you wouldn't really have a base anywhere.

16. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

Hey Scoob! Yes, I've had the same issue - randomly dropping out of Fixed mode... at first, I thought it might have been Casper the not so friendly key pressing ghost bug I continue to experience... lol... but that bug only presses certain keys, and Shift-O isn't one of them.

Then I began to wonder if it might have something to do with moving "outside" the capacities of the hover engines... Fixed mode will allow you to do that.

That's my current working theory, but I admittedly have little else to back it up - it only seemed to happen to me when I was pushing the limits of whether my hover "pad" projected below me was still actually in contact with the ground (ie no more than 3 meters).

As to losing the Drill Mode yes.. once, but I got distracted by some other shiny thing, and forgot about it - not happened since, so sorry buddy, I got nothing!

17. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

@Jacob Adjani - if you see my edit, I can reproduce the issue at will! I often micro manage my harvest inventories to eject Rocks...we need an option to automate that! :)

Scoob.

Dietrich likes this.
  18. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

An OCD organizer like me??? *blush*.... LOL. Scoob, if I ever resurrect my server, you're coming over to play on it... while I was fortunate to have almost 100 very good men and women members, I was the only TRUE micromanaging organizationally obsessed one there... it was lonely, and I was frequently the target of the most horrible snickers and chortles... and I'm certain more eye-rolls than one can count... and that was how they treated the guy that ran the place! LMAO... seriously though, if I do start her up again, love to have a fellow nit-picker aboard!

As to your edit, that's excellent diagnostically - sadly, my experience somewhat discounts it... at least as a single cause issue. I don't typically touch my harvest box until I RTB, and it was happening to me frequently... :(

Dietrich likes this.
  19. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

Also Scoob, you do know that you can turn rocks into Ore now right? Killer ratio, but... waste not want not, right?

Dietrich likes this.
  20. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

@Pantera Hey Pantera; unrelated question here - I've googled till my fingers bled, and asked in the main forums (to which I got zero replies)... so... do you know any way to close the console window after executing a command using the console command shortcuts (CTRL-F1, etc.)? Is there some code <exit> or something that can be added to do so?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.