Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 10.5: Optimizations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 28, 2019.

1. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Commander

I've shared this before but I think it's worth sharing again because it was great:

My best memory so far was from back in (I think) A8 when I finally decided it was time to leave home and explore another planet. I already built myself a pretty nice base on the starter planet, drones couldn't hurt me, and I had basically explored everything there so it was time to use my newly built basic CV to venture out. I scout out a few planets and decide that one has the right mix of resources and environment to make a new base. I drop some auto miners around and plop down a simple base from a template. Things seemed calm and I was slowly getting established.

Then I look out the window of my 5 minute old base towards the nearby ocean to check out the view only to see something sticking out of the water. A drone? No, a friggin' PV slowly emerging from the water and opening fire on my base which didn't even have turrets yet other than maybe a cannon. After thoroughly soiling my pants, I run to my CV to try to do some damage but had to bail and come back when the ship had lost interest.

It sucked to have a brand new base heavily damaged due to a glitch but it was an awesome (albeit accidental) surprise attack that was a much needed bit of excitement at that stage of the game which had otherwise been a bit stagnant.

2. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

I'll give you another, that centers around my hopes for better loot scaling and the very popular "rebuildable" CV wrecks idea:

It was maybe my 3rd game ever played, and the 1st where I played it through a good number of hours (my standard MO with new games is to run a few very short games to get used to UI, mechanics, etc. before really "digging in").

I'm cruising around the planet exploring, and I come across my very first ever CV wreck... I'm thinking "this is sooo cool, a ship that engaged in an orbital battle and fell from the sky"... very Star Wars-esque.

Of course, I run over and start looking for loot - find a couple of cargo containers and take the goods... helpful stuff, but not super valuable. I'm thinking at first, ok... cool... little "gift" location to help players out.

I walk back out of the hull, and turn to look at it... it's on a good 30 degree down angle, and about 50% buried in the terrain... THEN it occurs to me (remember, very "green" game wise at this point): I have a mining tool that digs out terrain... I wonder if I could *starts mining*...

HOLY CRAP I can dig it out, and there's a LOT more ship under here! Indulging my childhood fantasy of one day being Indiana Jones, I set up a full archaeological dig site... scaffolds, lights, the whole shebang... dig out the entire hull. (this was back when the T1 drill was excruciatingly slow... this took like 3-4 hours... but I was stoked the whole time in anticipation)

I'm thinking, this is going to be sooooo awesome, I can't believe a game has feature/content like this... I'm going to find the uber-flugelbinder-of-death weapon, I'm going to completely unearth this baby, patch her up and fly to the stars...

At this point, I was literally on pins and needles with excitement - I've found the greatest game ever made!

Of course, I then learned that the cargo containers buried deep in contained nothing more special than the ones I found topside, and that of course, I couldn't repair the ship... it really wasn't a "ship" at all.

I ofc understand the whole "this is Alpha" thing... this is just a story to relate what could be... perhaps what to aim for... as cool as that experience was for my first "memorable moment", imagine how powerful it would have been if it didn't disappoint? If I could have had my hopes realized?

Andipro, paddster7, StyleBBQ and 3 others like this.
  3. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yes, noticed this last night. They appear to track a target, sort of, then "look away" then fire and insta-snap back to facing the target. This process repeats shot after shot. This is a very recent thing for me, only noticed it in my last session (last night) and I go external view and watch my CV shoot stuff all the time.

Scoob.

4. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Commander

They should just change color when they are dead to yellow or something

vscuorzo, born4poker, TK85 and 3 others like this.
  5. FUE DENIS

FUE DENIS Commander

Les drones devrais juste avoir une fumée plus visible en hauteur et de plus loin.
    puis disparaitre dans une explosion terminal.

Drones should just have a smoke more visible in height and more oing.
    then disappear into a terminal explosion.

StyleBBQ and Germanicus like this.
  6. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

I like this idea. It could even damage the player.

StyleBBQ likes this.
  7. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

or maybe the option to enable the on-map Death Dot (there was some code thingy in the way of multiple colors, I think)

In my current situation the Drones fall into the water, and the seafloor is very hilly & can be deep.
    Last attack had 4 Drones and they came at night, in the rain. Pretty sure the new Plasma Cannon one-shotted one cause he was way out there.
    So honestly, even if a firey glow were added, and smoke showed at least 10m into the sky, which is a, "wait, what??", though I suppose it's not smoke but steam, heh :), I really wouldn't have a chance to locate most of the drones. But certainly was my choice to build on a tiny island.

But I do agree with you that the smoke should be a bit bigger/taller to help locate them. And a firey glow would be o so useful at night & in water.

Anyway, not a big deal, I'm honestly just really glad that base attacks are working so well, mainly that there hasn't been any, "Welcome Home! Guess what's for dinner!?!" :eek: moments.

Oh, and yeppers to "disappear into a terminal explosion", but don't listen to @Fractalite Eleon, he's always being a meany, did you hear what he did to poor Robot Shark ? :p
    (well, ok, it does sound kinda fun to stay to long and then get thrown 20 meters by the blast.. we all need help..)

ravien_ff and Jacob Adjani like this.
  8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Is this real? :D

vscuorzo, StyleBBQ, cpontin and 3 others like this.
  9. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Holy crap, it's happened!!!!
    I can't even read any further. I need to go lie down for a bit. I'm WAY too excited!!!!!

10. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    OP updated: Patch Update 2019-09-12 (Build 2642 - Release Candidate)

Rework of the MP / Co-op Scenario Invader vs Defender by RexXxuS.
    > Since it's a new Universe with new logic it is now called "Invader vs Defender II".

Some highlights (still wip):
    - new meticulously created Universe with smooth transition from PvE to PvP

[​IMG]
    The Golden Phoenix Asteroid Field grants many treasures at a hot price

- a lot of PvE content and great boost for PvP in the center
    - Origins have more impact on your gameplay now
    - More (PDA) Missions to play

Changes:
    - Allowing to dock HVs to SVs now. If a SV has docked ships, it cannot dock to others any more
    - Improved entity interpolation in MP > less rubber-banding
    - Updated model for LCD Projector
    - Added LCD Projector to LCD group
    - LCDs: Added new sprites (sprites are regarded complete for now)
    - Disable Background color button with LCD Projectors
    - Removed space fog in space playfields. Please give feedback if you miss it and want it back (maybe turned down a bit) Please leave feedback here for space fog https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-10-sapce-fog-feedback.75366/
    - Ground blast particles of ships are more transparent now
    - Better match for planet 3d outside view clouds between LOD0 and LOD1
    - The config files TraderNPCConfig, EGroupsConfig and DefReputation are now read from the scenario folder if they exist (else the default folder is used as before) - note: check if you already placed such files in scenarios and if they are up to date
    - Added a way for a controller to enlarge & shrink the sensor detection area in sensor view mode
    - Added 'Building tools' to the radial menu for controllers

POI / Playfield Updates:
    - Updated: Polaris Lava Pumping Station now also spawns on lava lakes (thx to ravien_ff)
    - Added: More SNOW variants of Rados station for snow playfield (thx to Vermillion)
    - Updated: Planet Remnant asteroid site (thx to Fractalite)
    - Updated Planet Remnant: Now has standard NPC Core + other changes (thx to Fractalite)
    - Added new Rados Snow Base: Fuel Depot (thx to Vermillion)
    - Slightly moved Spider Nests away from the Crash Area (Temperate and Temperate2 playfields)

Fixes:
    - Spawner plates set to 'static' ignore power state, sensor logic
    - LCD Projector issues:
    - anchor content to center of projector location
    - no manipulation of non-projector LCD text areas
    - no "Legacy Mode" checkbox with Projectors
    - width and height are in blocks, offsets in half blocks (to allow centering in a block or on the edge of two blocks), width and height limited to 5 blocks to allow full offsetting
    - truncating all normal LCD text areas (to write floating text, use a Projector)
    - compensate for downscaled prefabs (projector font size was only half of normal LCD)
    - Device names appear wrong after opening the control panel
    - Turn off Shield of Docked SVs/HVs
    - Better fix for Constructor continues to put crafted items in assigned container even if it has been removed (losing those items)
    - Scrolling stops working in 1 faction window when switching to a faction window with no scrolling option & back
    - 'Teleporting...' disappeared when the target world was not yet generated
    - Players getting damaged when teleporting and the target world needed to be generated
    - Talon base attack UI on planets with no talon shows values above 0
    - MP: Player vessels markers on the map go out of sync when 1 player moves far away from another
    - Allow building mode to switch between toolbars
    - MP: when turrets are trying to track & fire at a target the barrels aim in other directions
    - MP: CoQ's from flying around a planet coming from map icons
    - Constructor continues to put crafted items in assigned container even if it has been removed (losing those items)
    - Planets and moons with an atmosphere but no clouds will still show clouds when viewed from the planet's surface
    - CoQ when text spanning more than one line in projectors if size is 90 or above
    - MP: Desync issues with clients when returning from distance away from another player
    - When viewed from a planet's surface, clouds on moons don't display correctly under certain circumstances
    - LCD Projector: CoQ when adding and removing Sprites
    - LCD Projector: Adding Sprites in a row longer than the display will break the line-break and cursor position in preview window
    - MP: When driving a motorbike around invisible walls frequently appear bringing the MB to a stop
    - MP: Orbit resource asteroids unload for other players
    - MP: Desync issues with clients when returning from distance away from another player (FIX FOR DECO)
    - Whatever DefReputation.ecf file is loaded in first, will override any other DefReputation.ecf file
    - Players of other factions can trigger sensors (note: fix only works with newly placed sensors)

11. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Changes:
    - Allowing to dock HVs to SVs now. If a SV has docked ships, it cannot dock to others any more

Well that alone is game changing! Not to mention all the new "drop ship" builds that will emerge!

Germanicus, StyleBBQ and cpontin like this.
  12. Space Beagle

Space Beagle Captain

New HV to SV link can change a lot for real multiplayer 'war-like' PvP/PvE to have planetary space-drop beachheads & frontlines & skirmishes on mining planets where you can't land CVs or build bases or mine underground (or you have some other restrictions)!
    I can see real "Faction Wars" for autominer fields, or some really hard & heavy PvE Zirax worlds... nice to see this addition finally, even if it is still limited by general 'master/slave' game code rule :)

Also, kudos to new official Invader/Defender scenario and I'm sure it is going to be great as original was - I loved it on official EU server and did play for couple of seasons! Nice and balanced mixed map :cool:

13. Hellion

Hellion Commander

on the space fog... can we maybe get instead, pockets of fog that are extremely low visibility? less fog overall but the fog would be dense and grouped together, akin to a smoke screen! maybe you could hide something for us in there. maybe we could hide something in there like setting up an ambush or a base with strong defense thats hard to see where the shots are coming from thus hard to raid... fog everywhere was cool for atmosphere but kind of annoying after a while.

Space Beagle likes this.
  14. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
  15. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I like this! :D

20190912034527_1.jpg 20190912034831_1.jpg

16. Proof_89

Proof_89 Ensign

Question: When is 10.5 going to be live?

17. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Maybe in another week if all goes well.

Kassonnade and Proof_89 like this.
  18. StyleBBQ

StyleBBQ Captain

HV to SV Docking, heck yeah! :)

One quick thing I noticed; on an SVs Control Panel 'Stats' page, lower right, but to the Left of Passengers, there isn't a "Docked" labeled section like on a CV, nor do docked HVs show up there.

Caveat: this was in a Creative, 10.4 world. However same bit missing in both an SV made in 10.4 stable, and a new SV made tonight in 2642.
    (HV that I tested SV docking w was made in 2633)

Apologies for not testing every combo; got to get some sleep...

19. FUE DENIS

FUE DENIS Commander

La meilleur chose de cette mise a jour après avoir viré le brouillard. :D

20. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Now although we can't dock an SV to a CV while a HV is docked to said SV.

It would be great if a system, possibly from the SV control panel, would allow you to undock the HV remotely.

Then if the oudocked HV was also placed on the deck of a CV, it would dock to that...

I wonder if the HV could have two types of docking pads, one that works with CV and one that works with SV's. Would that help making a docking and indocking process in space achievable? Though still redpecting the Unity code limitations.