Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 10.5: Optimizations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 28, 2019.

1. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Nothing has changed with ores or older recipes. This is just a new recipe. It doesn't replace anything.

Frigidman likes this.
  2. Eliteace

Eliteace Captain

OHHHHH am drooling from my mouth

3. cpontin

cpontin Commander

4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Thanks for the update :)

I've not been around much lately, but will be sure to check this out.

Scoob.

Fractalite, TK85 and ravien_ff like this.
  5. Combat Wombat

Combat Wombat Commander

Pure insanity and another step down the path to removing any kind of game from the game

stanley bourdon, TK85 and GenghisBob like this.
  6. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

I am not too happy either with putting up a recipe to MAKE Pentaxid Crystals from Ores and Stones. It removes the "need" from the game to get mid-level game Friendly with the Zirax and do missions for them to be rewarded with 75 Crystals.
    My reply to you: Not a good idea so please remove it again. Thanks.

7. cmguardia

cmguardia Commander

I don't think I agree with this aggregate. But perhaps there is a reason that justifies it. So before asking to have it removed and a step back, I have to ask the question ... why? Why is this recipe added to the constructor?
    If the problem is the amount and provision of pentaxid then add it to the radiated biome along with promethium. Wouldn't it be more logical? Add more on the moons or more asteroids! If they give us everything at our fingertips then where is the adventure? where is the risk? If I want X I have to make the effort and take the risk to have it !!! Isn't that the goal of the game? Now another question ... In the forums have you asked for the addition of this recipe? How many do you think is necessary?
    I hope this is not taken aggressively.
    It's just an opinion and I take a position according to how I see the game. And if the questions have a sufficiently justifiable answer, then I will accept it, as it was accepted to collect all the different items of vegetables under the group "vegetables" or "grains" and "fruits"

stanley bourdon, TK85 and GenghisBob like this.
  8. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

What if the recipe was more expensive?

9. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Not even than...IMO!
    Pentaxid must be a precious resource for which you should take some effort...not just sitting in your BA/CV producing it. Zirax Quest would loose their reason to be done.

10. Supay

Supay Commander

End game rare drop from a boss npc? I can understand how it is now being a bit cheap to short cutting resources. However what if it was rare drop recipe? or quest reward for max faction rep?

11. Zerion

Zerion Ensign

I've not tried the game with this patch but I really hope game gets really better optimized. I'm really missing this game but I've been forced to stop playing a few patches ago because this is the only game out of 50+ that manage to put my GPU fans at 100% and temperature over 80ºC and I'm not going to stress it more than necessary. And it doesn't matter if I play on highest or lowest graphic settings it's exactly the same. Actually the game was running very well 'FPS-wise' on highest though (more than 60 fps).

Thanks Eleon for keeping on improving your game.

12. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I've noticed my GPU has been running cooler. Give it a test and see if it's any better in experimental now for you.

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I think Pentaxid should remain a challenge to obtain - does it need ALL those ingredients to make it, or just one? If the latter, then that's SILLY, crushed stone is crazy easy to get. If all of them...well, bar the actual raw material, it seems somewhat redundant.

On another note: Graphically, the game was tearing a LOT still, more so than the prior update that appeared to introduce it. The way around it - which seems to be working again - appears to be to unlock the in game fps to 200 (max) then create an nVidia Profile to lock the game to 60 (vSync for me) this gives a much much smoother experience.

For years just setting the game FPS limit to 60 acted as vSync for me, working pretty well. The FPS reporting was a bit optimistic at times, but generally things were ok. Having to utilise features of the GPU driver to get smooth FPS seems a bit of a step backwards. Easily done of course, but perhaps not ideal.

Scoob.

14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I will do some GPU and CPU monitoring when I get time. Surprisingly, Empyrion generally hammers my GPU while the CPU isn't pushed too hard. A GTX 1070 that's only doing 1200p...well, I'd not expect it to work so hard. Will report what I see. Hopefully get some time this eve.

Scoob.

ravien_ff likes this.
  15. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Regarding the processing of raw pentaxid from crushed stone and ores:

I see nothing wrong with this in principle but the recipe needs a couple of passes.
    I can only go by by this screenshot posted by @forbiddenzsky (as I haven't looked at in game yet)

If I understand correctly you turn 5 Promethium, Erstrum, Zarcosium, Sathium and stone into 5 raw pentaxid? The Raw Pentaxid used in the recipe is returned with a small surplus. This is such a waste of otherwise more useful ores IMO. Yes, pentaxid now powers weapons, shields and warp, as well as used in some medical items, but for the amount you spend on return is way off.

If this is a route you plan on taking then may I suggest another resource type: raw crystal (or a resource of similar inference).

This is an inert resource in itself, maybe with a high buy/sell price, but when you combine, as an example off the top of my head, 100 raw crystal + 100 raw pentaxid and 50 of something to catalyse with (promethium?) you get 200 raw pentaxid. The main drawback being that you loose the catalyst material and the construction time should be fairly long. Raw crystal could also be used to create raw promethium in the same way - 100 raw crystal + 100 raw promethium + 50 pentaxid (catalyst) = 200 raw promethium. I realise that with both resources you could create manufacturing chain but only as long as you have sufficient raw crystal and the overall usable return is small in comparison.

16. Ravis

Ravis Commander

I don't understand the objection on the recipe. You can buy the stuff en mass at a trade port. The ore it's made out of is vastly more valuable than to the end product.

Over all love the planets, and any additions to space is a good thing as well.

iliapugach likes this.
  17. imlarry425

imlarry425 Commander

>Pentaxid must be a precious resource for which you should take some effort...not just sitting in your BA/CV producing it. Zirax Quest would loose their reason to be done.

I haven't played a game where I made any effort at forming an alliance with an NPC in four months and it always plays out the same with Z's hating me from the get go while P & T cheer me on as I rob them blind with autominers. Caring about what the Zirax think of me means hunting down tribesmen with a Gatling gun when I can get more pentaxid faster by going up to the moon in lv5 sv & light armor with a bunch of bud tea in my canteen to keep me warm; killing guys armed with crossbows using a chain gun just to make other people like you is bad holographic-reality karma.

I only wish that a) Talon's bases weren't the same color as mine and b) that the map used the same hilight-sphere-o-control-from-centroid-o-bases feature the NPCs have access to so I could monitor the growth of the new empire (bwahaha) started by the guy who fell out of the sky a week ago last Tuesday.

18. Jacob Adjani

Jacob Adjani Captain

On the Pentaxid recipe front - I tend to agree in a general sense... I've been screaming on the forums for years about the lack of scarcity (and therefore perceived value) in the game... I'd taken to just chalking it up to being early Alpha, and that scarcity is a balance issue that will come later in the development cycle.

That said, not really sure what the rationale or need for a new constructor recipe was? Was this a "hot button issue" for large number of players? Based on the forums here I'd have to say, no.

Some thoughts:

While I know that we should have reasonable functionality/recipes/tech levels etc. in the standard/default settings that ship with the game/updates.... a workaround could be to simply change your config.ecf to remove it or make it much more demanding inputs wise.

Also, as to the scarcity of Pentaxid in prior versions? To me it was never scarce - build a SV, fly to the moon, mine out the existing deposits and then hit the meteorite that falls on depletion threshold.

You can have a base SV within 2 days (game time), mining the existing depos takes maybe 15 mins to find them all, and then you get the meteorite - that will yield 100's of units of refined pent... for me, more than enough to fuel my game play until either (a) I get bored and start a new game, or (b) a new build releases and I start a new game no matter what.

Alternatively, raid a few Zirax or Alien POI's - Rare and Very Rare boxes will have you rolling in Pent.

(this is all based on SP exclusively of course)

19. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Observation:

I did a new survival start - Robinson Protocol disabled, no free stuff - and I eventually encountered an "Old Farm" POI, which is basically a free player base.

This base runs off Solar, which I've expanded very slightly with two additional Small Solar Panels. Nice.

However, I noticed the base was using a tad more power than I'd expect (10 PU to be precise) so I check the CP to see what device(s) might be taking this. It was the "Player Spawner (Thin Plate)" which while it can be highlighted on the HUD, it cannot be destroyed or disassembled. I tried removing the block beneath it, to see if this destroyed it, but it did not.

Basically, there's a 10 PU drain on my base - which is significant at this very early state - that I cannot do anything about.

Oversight? I'd like to get rid of this.

Scoob.

20. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

Look for Antenna Deco...THAT still suck a lot of Energy out of the Battery. And most of those small Starter Bases have one, like HAVOC Module on top and also the Opportunity.
    Its in my eyes an oversight by the creators of those Starter Bases.