Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 10.5: Optimizations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Aug 28, 2019.

1. FUE DENIS

FUE DENIS Commander

[​IMG]

il serait judicieux aussi de supprimais le brouillard dans les ceintures d’astéroïde .
    et d'éloignée les ceintures des planètes.

it would be wise also to remove the fog in the asteroid belts.
    and from far away the belts of the planets.

Combat Wombat and Wellingtoon like this.
  2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Hey all,

Just wanted to say that the previously regular judder / fps drops I'd experience while flying over a planet at speed in an SV are largely gone. This is good! :) There is still the odd snag, but they're rather rare.

Even when fps drops substantially, i.e. when I'm near the "clusters" of POI's belonging to Polaris and, to a lesser degree, Talon, it's just an fps drop, not a lag-fest. Of course, fps in the 30's is pretty horrible lol, but I hope you get what I mean - it's not low fps with additional lag, if that makes sense.

All in all, things are running well, though certain situations - namely the larger clusters of POI's - do cause some fairly substantial FPS drops. However, while monitoring things - and I know monitoring resource usage is somewhat imperfect - I'm not seeing either GPU or CPU maxing out in these FPS drop scenarios. Elsewhere, when performance is relatively good I do see my GTX 1070 hitting 99% from time to time. Oddly, it most often happens when travelling over open water in an HV - reflections are not enabled, so it's just a dark body of water.

Scoob.

ravien_ff and iliapugach like this.
  3. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

4. Pantera

Pantera Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Previous saves should be fine to use but for new POI's a new save would be best.

It was a exploit which is already fixed in B2554 just merged with A10.5 which was to do with rolling & damage whilst rolling.

5. SacredGlade

SacredGlade Captain

Regarding the pentaxid recipe. I worry that this reduces one of the metrics the scenario and server designers can create games, which control player progression and movement via manipulating the supply of available pentaxid.

6. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Server owners can choose to disable the recipe if they like with a custom config file, so no issue there.
    Scenario creators can do the same thing as well but the players have to download the config file separately. It won't automatically be included in a scenario. Hopefully that can change one day so config files are included in a scenario.

SacredGlade and TK85 like this.
  7. Germanicus

Germanicus Rear Admiral

What exactly "should" the new recipe produce? 100 Raw Pentaxid I presume?
    If so, why does the Recipe counts the raw Pentaxid within my Cargo hold to the numbers needed in the recipe?
    Ragnarok_2019-09-01_17-24-47.png

8. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

Look closely at the recipe and it's outputs. You take 100 raw pentaxid (plus the other resources) and turn that 100 raw into 105. You gain 5 pentaxid at the cost of rare resources.

I really don't get why it bothers people so much. The recipe is expensive as crap for basically nothing and requires quite a bit of very rare materials.
    I'm not saying you are bothered by it, just that I don't get why it bothers people. Did I mention it's pretty expensive in the first place?

I personally won't be using the recipe ever. It's very expensive in the first place. On top of that, rather than spending that time mining all those rare resources, I could just go pick 5 pentaxid crystals. Time and resources saved on my part.
    Seriously, this recipe won't cause the sky to fall like some people in this thread are claiming.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Supay, iliapugach and SacredGlade like this.
  9. imlarry425

imlarry425 Commander

"Zirax scientists have discovered a way to increase the yield of pentaxid refinement by 5% using a combination of promethium, erestrum, zascosium, sathium, and crushed rock..."

Agreed. Since it requires front loading with 100 units as a start to return 105 this recipe wouldn't really be useful unless pentaxid deposits were exhausted or not available in the scenario (neat limitation) - you can grind for them on moons, dirty forests, and deep lake and once you get 100 you can start burning thru equally esoteric ore to make more but only with 5% yield improvement and the loss of four rare ores ... seems like a driver for wider commodity scarcity, not less.

Attached Files:

ravien_ff likes this.
  10. Bigfeet

Bigfeet Captain

Some questions and thoughts rise with this introduction :

- Why was it thought of in the first place. Is it something the game needed ?
    Unless there are future plans of implementing pentaxid resource scarsities, it doesn't make real sense putting effort in idea's that seem futile. It doesn't add pragmatic use on its own.

- With the unanswered question above in mind, it feels like wasted time and effort developmentwise that could have been spend on more pressing matters.
    Since the point of this update refers to optimisations, perhaps this is an unnessecary course of action.
    I don't see the gain in gameplay either at this point without further explanation. It would be sensible to either refer to a future link or better yet a simultaneous reason .

- Devs are asking for feedback on this, and so people comply.
    Feedback can be constructive or critic of nature, so there's that. All points of view are valid as being feedback.

SacredGlade, TK85 and Germanicus like this.
  11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

It's not surprising. People have been talking about alternative ways of obtaining or growing pentaxid for a long time.

Needleship, Supay and krazzykid2006 like this.
  12. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Now to me this is a better solution. Not talking about it in a plot of land. But a tank, that you would add a single crystal in a tank. make a solution of some different metals blended with an acidic fluid. apply a small energy source and over a longer period time it would slowly grow. It could only grow so much as the size of the tank would allow. Hey at least it a thought.

13. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I think some kind of high-tech Vat for growing Pentaxid Crystals would be quite cool... However, what is the natural environment for Pentaxid Crystal growth? They thrive on the moon with zero atmosphere but high rads. In irradiated biomes... normal atmosphere but high rads...yet they can also sometimes be found on the bed of a lake, dense atmosphere (water) and often no rads, but in much smaller quantities. So, perhaps radiation is the key, and atmosphere means nothing, more rads more growth? This leads to some sort of high-power device - cos there has to be a cost right - that irradiates a large Vat producing Pentaxid crystals. But what's the catalyst? Some Pentaxid at least, so the player has to gather at least some other old way, befor becoming self-sufficient - given enough power. The Vats would perhaps be "pick-able" once mature yielding say five Pentaxid crystals from just one and would not need to be re-planted once established.

The Vat would require some more exotic materials to craft, Erestrum and Zascosium certainly, as well as lots of basic bits. It would be one block in size, filling that vertically but not horizontally, so many placed next to each other would still allow the player to walk between them. There's a chance the player might find enough stuff on the starting planet to make, and seed, a couple of these, but to really ramp up production for advanced weapons and powering shields, they'd need to venture off-planet and visit planets rich in the required resources.

I like this idea. I could imagine banks of these crystal-growing Vats inside my base, raising my power signature and p*ssing off the Zirax that little bit more so I need more shield power. Sound like fun to me! Do it this way please Eleon :)

Scoob.

14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

On an unrelated notes: Are there plans to look into the infamous lag-shot further? Even playing Single Player I often get shots travel through several layers of armour to take out a critical system. Just now a lone Rocket Drone got off just one shot vs. my landed light CV. This shouldn't have been any sort of problem as the rear armour, though normal steel, is a couple of blocks thick. Not particularly tough of course, but it should take several shots to break...something the Drone did not have chance to do.

What actually occurred was that one rocket "hit" did minimal damage to the Sentry Turret it was aimed at. Did no damage to the Steel Blocks behind that, did no damage to the T1 Generator behind those blocks and did no damage to the single layer of Steel Blocks behind that. So what did it damage? The Fuel Tanks that were sat behind all those earlier blocks, right inside the most protected point of the ship.

Note that I wasn't experiencing FPS or other performance issues at the time, my ship was landed and the single Rocket Drone - the small kind - was approaching slowly. So, none of the more common triggers for lag shots. I sorta get why it can happen when things are busy and a ship is moving - especially in MP. However, experiencing it in SP under the given conditions seems a little odd.

I know I could build more layers to help with this, but a single wall of armour should take the hit, not the items behind it. If the shot breached the armour, that's fine of course, the armour has failed of course. With layers of intact armour still in place, deep internals should not really be touched.

Just wondered how many others are seeing this in SP. I've watched some of Spanj's more recent videos and noticed that they were suffering from it a lot in MP, but then their FPS and general performance was terrible in their large pitched CV vs. CV battles.

Scoob.

15. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

I like how you have taken this. As far as a source of radiation, many of the systems have a radiation zone around them all ready. Could this not be harnessed. This is only something I would say could be done on a base or space station. As the movement of a ship would cause the young crystals to shatter from the vibrations.:eek:

16. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

That might work... I'd love a reason to build a space station. Perhaps growing them in space, exposed to radiation with zero atmosphere is the first way to do it. A lower-tech solution if you will. It'd still be a Vat, need some power, a few mid-range materials and a Pentaxid Crystal "seed", but a lower tech one that works slowly. I'd still quite like to see a late-game T2 Vat that could grow them regardless of Environment though, but requiring really quite silly levels of power to do it & lots of exotic materials - something for the late-game power-player. I would say though that these not be growable on a CV, BA only for the reason you give... Oh, make the Vats quite weak to simulate the fragile nature of what they grow.

I do like your idea though...but please Eleon, if we're going to spend time living in space...minable Ice asteroids for Water so we can generate O2 and be self-sufficient in space for extended periods without re-supply from the ground :)

However this might be implemented, adding tech to allow the growth of Crystals feels like a really good fit for the game. Plus it can utilise an off-shot of the current plant growing tech - as in it's a block (vat) that lets you plant something (Crystal) and that Crystal matures into harvestable multiple crystals. Just like one Sprout gives multiple veg for example. Very different graphically but fits nicely within an existing game mechanic.

Scoob.

SacredGlade and RazzleWin like this.
  17. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

It's something you would want to protect on a base as expositions could damage them just from the shock waves produced.

SacredGlade likes this.
  18. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yep, bury them deep underground! I don't know, based on what we observe working in the game currently, whether it would be possible to allow a Device to get damaged from an explosion if it's outside the range of normal AoE for that weapon. Though making them super delicate as they grow would be pretty cool, with a mature crystal being a little more robust perhaps.

I think the first step, if the devs like this idea - which they should, it's great lol - would be to copy the Growing Plot mechanic sans the need for a Grow Light - or perhaps a radiation* light would be cool - and allow a Raw Pentaxid Crystal to be converted to a "Pentaxid Seed Crystal" in the Advanced Constructor. This new Crystal Growing Vat could then get a custom graphic showing the maturation stages of a growing crystal. This approach seems logical to me, based on my understanding of the current game mechanics. However, I have zero knowledge of the underlying code of course, so it may not be as straight-forward as it appears.

* be sure to turn this off, or wear heavy protection, prior to harvesting!

Scoob.

19. nexus_absolute

nexus_absolute Captain

Except, what if I want to convert all my raw pentaxid into refined. I quickly que up 100 in the constructor but there is only enough raw material to make 80. The constructors will gobble up a fair amount of my other resources to make up the shortfall. Having the recipe as it stands is more of a hindrance imo.

dtmullican likes this.
  20. RazzleWin

RazzleWin Captain

Yes this would fit into the current system allowing 9 small vats per light and a t2 would be one larger vat using all of a single radiation grow light. This really would help end game a lot. I think this might help multi play as well. With limited resources already high and the higher usage this would stop a lot of the fighting over the resources and give something useful for players to attack other player bases to grab their supply and stop their production. Why not add something to the mix this way. Anyways I do hope the dev's give this some thought.