Alpha Experimental 4.0 (Build 639)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Oct 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EleonGameStudios

EleonGameStudios Developer
    Staff Member

• Developer
    Hi everyone,

We have just released the first version of Alpha 4.0 on the experimental branch. It is still a rough version but we want your feedback as soon as possible.

We recommend starting a new game for this experimental release.

CHANGELOG:

New Features:
    - Added first draft of new HV behavior: you need to place "hover engine V2" (placeholder model) pointing downwards
    * Each hover engine applies a force below -> now position of hover engine and distribution of weight plays a role
    * Only 1 of the starter BPs has been equipped with new hover engine (Temporarily removed other HV Starter BPs until adapted to new HV)
    * What model would you prefer: a fully sized 1x1x1 block (similar size as directional thruster) or a flat model similar to old hoverengine but only 1x1 in size? (we did not yet decide on this - so please do not re-design all your HVs yet)
    * Note: there are still some rough edges - e.g. Booster is not yet working and you can mis-use HV to fly into space

- Added fully dynamic character (so called UMA): for now you do not see any difference to the old model but with this new approach we will be able to easily change armor, jetpack, etc on the character. In addition, we will be able to integrate character customization (face, hair, beard, size, etc).
    - Added re-writable LCD Screens
    - Added "Repair Bay" block (to activate auto repair just place a de-activated SV / HV / CV on top of repair block)
    - Added faction-based discovery (i.e., when a player discovers a POI / deposit this discovery is no longer visible for everybody on server)
    - Added color-able / texture-able wings for SV
    - Added ATM machine to transfer money from / to account (you now must use ATM to transfer money to your account)
    - Separated small and large blocks (hull, windows, truss blocks etc): please note that we had to re-balance the weight of many blocks so the SV /CV / HV probably now behave differently. Please help us to re-balance them. The separation will allow us to make a much better balancing of hitpoints and weight
    - Added code locks to several blocks
    - Added auto-mining device (WIP)
    - Added structure overview window
    - Client and server are now separated (via Steam -> Tools you can now download dedicated server. Make sure to switch to "experimental" branch under Betas - same as you did with client)
    - Switched from gamma space to linear space (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LinearLighting.html): this change had a major effect on the overall lightning in the game and how PBR works => we had to do a LOT of tweaks.
    We now need your help in finding models / plants / situations that still need fixing. Please note that the linear space setting is not yet final - we still have to tweak several textures and other things. Overall it is an investment for the future because - if tweaked correctly - linear space will improve the visuals (PBR is made for linear space).

Changes / Improvements:
    - Allow faction visibility even when all players are offline + show new faction stats information
    - Huge network optimization
    - Tweaked material on scope of shotgun T2 (now it is not illuminated anymore when dark)
    - Tweaked muzzle fire (now light is disabled much faster after shooting)
    - Added limit to number of mounted weapons. "Max Count" indicates now how many weapons can be placed on a structure
    - Added new doors that open vertically
    - Added Hangardoors, Shutterdoors, Ramps to Control Panel (+ added code locks)
    - Added more experience points (due to new blocks)
    - Added new block groups: LandinggearBlocksSV and LandinggearBlocksHeavySV (Added short versions of landinggear single and double)
    - Added new block group: LandinggearBlocksCV (added more landinggear models for CV)
    - Added new model for multitool T1 + T2 (with particle effect + better sound)
    - Updated radar block model
    - Renamed: CreditCard -> MoneyCard. Increased stacking size to 999'999. MoneyCard now only gives 1 credit if "consumed" (i.e. block count = money)
    - Reworked Scoreboard: using more vertical place in total, using less space per row
    - Marketplace: For better quick comparison of prices, all prices are displayed with 2 decimals
    - Tweaked model of Fillertool
    - Improved weapon hold animation TPV on several weapons
    - Clouds when high up in air are now stronger on several playfields (FogCloudIntensity)
    - Temporarily disabled yaml checking in Resume Game menu for better performance
    - Improved Marketplace menu performance, fixed wrong time sorting in the "Recent" list
    - "finishbp" cmd now only needs 2sec (instead of 5sec)
    - Thrusters have now more consistent names (-> thruster S, M, L, XL etc). Temporarily removed atmo thruster
    - Added better start setting: Creative Omicron (thanks to Vexrey for base)
    - Added overall health state of a structure to control panel
    - Added artifical mass block
    - Added an additional console block
    - Added better model for cockpit CV 2
    - Replaced old shotgun T1 with better model
    - Added orange bush on Temperate2
    - Increased colliders view distance to 200m (south / north / east / west) -> before: 150m and 120m
    - Custom lights switch off in space now 3x later. Increased size of flares a bit
    - Motorbikes now gets removed with wipe time (problem: on busy servers there are many abandoned motorbikes -> reduces performance)
    - Swapped TALOS with TITAN in the PDA Mission "custom tours" and set to "one part"

Bug Fixes:
    - Fixed: Button-Click macro exploit to duplicate items
    - Fixed: Problem that Offline Protection did not activate for private faction (now you dont need to create a 1-man faction to use the offline protection)
    - Fixed: PvP: Own faction base will shoot at spawned vessels of faction members
    - Fixed: Constructor does sometimes eat up material but do not produce items (Constructors and Food Processors now use a special Output Inventory to store crafted items)
    - Fixed: HV turrets do not fire anymore if vessel is docked
    - Fixed: Turrets of CV set to Public does not engage enemies
    - Fixed: Jumping of focus block. Now: interpolating focus block positions (+ we do not show block preview if block is not allowed to be placed)
    - Fixed: Grass is overlapping mountains
    - Fixed: Wrong weight count on blocks
    - Fixed: Upgrade Window: Tint reverts when upgraded
    - Fixed: Deactivated Turret gets activated when accessing and leaving
    - Fixed: Light bleeding when shadows are on (e.g. lights of bases do not shine through doors anymore)
    - Fixed: Status effect notifications delay all other notifications
    - Fixed: Player Status: Icons overlapping each other if more than one effect is in place
    - Fixed: Wind animation on several trees / plants (e.g Omicron Alienpalmtree, Akua Umbrella tree etc)
    - Fixed: Key for Flashlight: rename to LIGHT only
    - Fixed: Water shader with errors (e.g. water shows mosaic texture in the night)
    - Fixed: Potential NRef is in Peer2Peer another player connects while we are starting up
    - Fixed: Problem that beam of texture tool was sometimes cut off
    - Fixed: Lava emissive texture not working
    - Fixed: Gaps on hull block HalfRound
    - Fixed: NRef when opening PDA in creative as a client

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. ylosarg

ylosarg Ensign

Nice job GG

Tyrax Lightning likes this.
  3. Gherid_lacksGPS

Gherid_lacksGPS Lieutenant

So much win.

4. Talk2Rider

Talk2Rider Lieutenant

So how does the new linear lighting and PBR look? I'd love to see a before and after.

5. Patwar

Patwar Commander

Thank you ! Lot of things that i waited for.

Will it be possible to authorize acces with codes at someone that is not in our faction ?
    So will it be possible to give access at passenger seat or/and containers (to temporarly help a player not in our faction) ?

Gatt and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  6. Veronica

Veronica Ensign

Wow! That's a lot more than I was expecting. Nice.

7. Vampir2005

Vampir2005 Ensign

Hi,

sorry for dumb question, what is this " artifical mass block" or what does it.

Lg

Ps.

Sorry for my bad English

Hallo,

Ich wollte eigentlich wissen was dieser Block macht bzw. dessen Funktion ( artifical mass block ).

Tyrax Lightning and Fractalite like this.
  8. Blackwing

Blackwing Lieutenant

Great patch note ! Good work Eleon :) Thanks.

9. Taelyn

Taelyn Captain

Nice Update!

The auto miner.. Does that work on meteorites aswell?

10. Elfias

Elfias Commander

If just very basics would work at least a bit. Anyway I like new changes, keep it up! One day this game will be playable i hope.

11. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Has anyone managed to set up a LAN server with the Experimental version yet? I launch mine and the process runs for a moment before terminating. I notice the steam.exe process launches at the same time and also instantly terminates. I am of course signed into Steam and online on my Gamer - the client PC - at the same time.

I using basically default settings, other than those I have to change for things to work. I have several other dedicated servers set up for older game versions - and my current "live" game - which all worked fine. I'm going to review my settings once again, in case I've made a mistake, but thought I'd ask here if anyone else is having issues. I'll go SP to test if need be, but wanted to continue playing with servers.

Edit: Urgh. Looks like Steam did something odd. Despite having the Experimental Version of the game installed, it's now saying I need to download and additional 1.1gb of data, yet already downloaded 244mb for the Experimental Update. I imagined the dedicated server component would be tiny, considering the fully game is installed already. No server testing for me today sadly, as my BB is a tad slower than average lol.

Note: it appears impossible to host a LAN server in the old way, so I assume data required for this has been stripped out of the client version all together now? Hence why custom server.cmd fails. It's fine, we're testing after all, but large additional downloads are painful for me lol.

Edit 2: Yep, Steam threw a wobbly. Despite the update to the Experimental version being done, the separate dedicated files saying they'd been downloaded initially, they were not. Allowing that large update to download gave me an additional folder for Dedicated Server, and removed the Server files from the original game folder. Basically, I think steam redownloaded EVERYTHING and that fixed it, as the game had gotten stuck in a broken state after the initial 200+mb download.

Cheers,

Scoob.

12. DarkeIndustry

DarkeIndustry Lieutenant

What do u mean "playable I hope"

13. Elfias

Elfias Commander

I have hunderts of hours in game already so when i log in and in 10 minutes i see 10 bugs i simply have to quit as i already depleted my patience :)
    Short story. Went to planet, tried to change faction to undock bombs. One undocked, second which moved after warp behind ship didnt. Of course SVs undocked, i changed back to faction. Jump into SV and died but i heard docking sound. Jump into SV again and it disappered. Tried on another SV same process. Im used to it, its alpha so i just wanted to leave planet and park somewhere wait for patch. CV disappered. I log out.

This not happening is playable. There is millions of same stories. Of course its unfinished product. So i hope one day this will be different :) Oh i forgot that i had to destroy some crap to even enter CV when i was on land as it was 15 degrees not horisontaly aligned and that makes collision box of my character not able to get through doors, in space its not issue.

14. DarkeIndustry

DarkeIndustry Lieutenant

Not once have me and my friends on my server had any of those issues. Who are you using for having a server?

15. Zuleica

Zuleica Rear Admiral

This is great!

However...what about a fix for the CV thruster power consumption when thruster is disabled? It's causing CVs (and SVs docked to a CV) to use way too much power.

Gatt and Tyrax Lightning like this.
  16. rewt

rewt Lieutenant

A minor tweak on the Constructor and Food Processor to move the output items to the normal inventory is a must(automatically or with a button click). Now if you loot a drone and put the loot in the constructor you have half of the materials in output and the others in the normal inventory(1 capacitor device in output and 2 in inventory...a bit confusing maybe because the output window is sqizzed to the bottom left). Or add a button to move all of them to normal inventory (auto will be better ;p).
    If u keep it the as it is make the output window bigger(all of these may not be a problem with a normal constructor but i made a fresh start and on the surv one is confusing.

I'll keep posting as i progress in survival game (fresh start single player) and find any bugs or whatever

PS : PLZ add an equipment item. Only 1 will be enough....only 1....(more are welcome of course ;p)

17. Zuleica

Zuleica Rear Admiral

Since HV hover block is not affected by balance I'd suspect the artificial mass block is meant to tweak the balance of the ship for best performance.

18. misterscoops

misterscoops Lieutenant

These additions are excellent. The lighting looks fantastic, something about it makes the environmental textures "pop" more. I'm loving the LED signs, it would be awesome to have pixel drawing and animation frames like Starbound. Now that the doors and shutters are accessible via the control panel, would it be possible to toggle them from automatic/manual? I prefer the shutters to be opened by hand so they could be useful as window coverings, etc. I've noticed the multitool has no effect on POIs, so you can't harvest components from them anymore. I even tried adding a core, and that's not possible either. Kind of sucks. My only real gripe besides the POI harvesting thing, is the block placing animation as the reticle thing glides into position. While it looks nicer, it lacks the immediacy of the old system, I feel like it is taking me twice as long to build a structure waiting for the selection to shift to a new position. Maybe the repositioning time could be cut in half or something. I don't know. Otherwise, this is some fantastic stuff.

Bonus points for the output inventory on the constructors. I think I know what this will lead to.

19. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

That's interesting...seems the Titan Wrecks are no longer just there for the taking....nice....

@misterscoops - Yeah, a separate output inventory is potentially more significant than it first appears... :)

Scoob.

20. Pino

Pino Lieutenant

I can't find the repair bay in the advanced constructor. I have unlocked it in the tech tree, but it's not in the device list of the constructor.

SoCalExile and Tyrax Lightning like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.