Alpha Experimental 6.0 - Release Candidate 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, May 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiftPizzas

LiftPizzas Rear Admiral

Because players change their ships by adding/removing blocks. This means there needs to be a decision-making process to ensure someone's ship isn't reverted from a bunch of improvements.

Daede likes this.
  2. Zuleica

Zuleica Rear Admiral

I'm talking about SP specifically. I understand about MP.

Daede likes this.
  3. Israel

Israel Ensign

Interesting changes. Thanks for making the effort on bringing new features to the game that will hopefully make it more immersive.

The chat is even worse then it already was before. This part was a let down. I ask the Developers to please give us the option to change our own chat windows. The chat feel like being hit over the head each time its on the screen. This distorts even more the ability to immerse yourself in the game. Its unfortunate and i hope this will change.

mR_kAt and rainyday like this.
  4. Fractalite

Fractalite Rear Admiral

The regen feature will be very fun to customize. Right now it is "on" but once the default is off I would recommend a staggered regen and to have the civ buildings/unique buildings off. Turns out having a large outpost, small outpost, research outpost beta, and the supply station regenerating is little excessive when it comes to resources. It is also nice to be able to excavate near titan wrecks.

The staggering of the regen for military outposts would have the starter planets be the slowest and the lava planets and Masperons moon/other planet be the fastest. Everything in between would get progressively faster with difficulty.

5. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

If its just a replacement then it cant be directly put over to repairing ships, but if its "regenerating" then its about checking whats missing compare to the BP, the you wont loose anything. and I don't know how people would use that to cheat themselves to a bigger ship, if it happen automatically when docking on the repair block.

6. Daede

Daede Rear Admiral

it's just a replacement, not a regeneration.

As far as cheating yourself into a better ship.. It wouldn't exactly 'cheat' you there, but you sure as hell wouldn't have gotten there that quickly the traditional way, where you have to tear your old ship down, block by block, and feed its pieces to the factory... The tear down time is what's missing from the equation.

Wizzy likes this.
  7. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

the data could be taken from the save folder where the ships is stored, then that problem would be solved.

8. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

Aint that exactly the biggest reason for that people want that feature? to not have to tear down their ship block by block.

Hive and Daede like this.
  9. Kieve

Kieve Rear Admiral

Told you guys they were trolling the hell out of us.
    Players: "Armor durability is crap, plz fix."
    Eleon: "Oh, you want to take even more damage? Okay!"
    [​IMG]

10. Daede

Daede Rear Admiral

Nah, it could only be taken from a BP. The data in the save folder evolves as the ship is modified. The only thing we have that qualifies as an 'untouched version' of anything is the Blueprint. There is no 'data' to be taken from anywhere other than the blueprint. Which means, you would have to modify the BP to the updated version in order to be able to repair to that...

...which introduces the upgrade exploit we just talked about. Who is to decide if you're simply updating a BP or replacing it completely, allowing you to upgrade one ship to another quickly and easily?

Until there's a clear solution to this issue, don't hold your breath for the ability to repair to BP - though this is also a feature I would eventually love to see.

Wizzy likes this.
  11. Donbingo

Donbingo Captain

I see the problems about the save files, but still don't get how people could cheat to another ship.

12. huhlig

huhlig Captain

Bah, honestly Just allow Hover Vechicles with proper engines to fly like SVs. or even better. MAKE HV/SV/CV the same craft. Just make normalized physics rules and 3 sizes of blocks. 1/3m, 1m, 3m and 9m blocks. Make Devices the same size they are and scale their capabilities appropriately. So HV/SV weapons are pea shooters and CV Weapons will punch holes through your SV like a hot knife through butter.

13. -Faust-

-Faust- Lieutenant

So what happens if you create a ship without a blueprint? You don't get to repair it?

What would make more sense is that when a ship first receives damage the server snapshots the entity in it's current state previous to the damage. That is what you should be restoring to, not a blueprint. Plus restore to a blueprint could be highly exploited, like tear a ship apart for the resources, then get shot at, then restore back from BP.

Hive and Daede like this.
  14. Daede

Daede Rear Admiral

Okay, the feature would repair a structure to BP status

You BP your ship.

You go to another ship that you really like and BP it, but OVERWRITE the BP name of YOUR ship.

You 'repair' your ship to BP, giving you a completely different ship (once you've put in the building materials, etc)

That is a massive exploit.

Faust is on the right track, here, but there would be a MASSIVE performance hit at the initiation of combat, I think.

Wizzy and mR_kAt like this.
  15. Daede

Daede Rear Admiral

Stop making sense, Hans. Nobody wants to hear solutions grounded in common sense ;)

Wizzy, ion_storm, mR_kAt and 4 others like this.
  16. Philipp

Philipp Commander

So.. can i use the regeneration system for POI's also on other planets if i add
    "
    Properties:
    - Key: RegenAfter
    Value: 2
    "

to the POI's i want to respawn (e.g. on Skillon?!)

Daede likes this.
  17. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

I'm not sure that this is really a huge exploit. Suppose you want to upgrade to a different ship by inputting a new blueprint. The repair bay will then compute the time (both for breaking down out-of-place blocks (which could be set to take twice as long as placing new blocks or something) and putting back missing blocks) and the net resources required to do this. This seems very reasonable (and it's what you'd be doing manually if you were converting an existing ship into a different design).

The reason it feels like an exploit is that we've all gotten so used to the current way of doing things (breaking everything down into blocks and running them through the factory). This repair-to-blueprint method neatly solves two issues: repairing large-scale damage to a blueprinted ship; and being able to pull a 100 kt CVs out of nowhere (the personal factory would then be disabled, except for very small designs, perhaps). And it also allows easy conversion/upgrading of designs.

Syncretos, Hive, mR_kAt and 1 other person like this.
  18. Syrus

Syrus Commander

There are three types of people on this earth, those that can count and those that can't.

Stoickk, Philipp and FatChance147 like this.
  19. -Faust-

-Faust- Lieutenant

I don't know about massive. Something server side is already saving the state of your ship. Perhaps we could get REALLY creative and create a new mechanic called "insurance", where you pay credits to save the current state of your ship, and when you repair, it gets saved to this state?

Thundershock_LT and Daede like this.
  20. -Faust-

-Faust- Lieutenant

I think the reason that it could potentially be a big exploit is that if the repair bay simply does a diff between the ship and a blue print, one could potentially remove all the most expensive things from the ship and then restore it from BP, thus getting "free stuff" every time they do it.

If you are suggesting that they add the components to repair the ship, given enough components, why not simply create another ship via blueprint and eat the old ship for parts?

I'm not sure if it solves the problem of scratch built ships that have no BP. How do they get repaired? Forcing the player to BP them first?

mR_kAt and Daede like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.