Alpha EXPERIMENTAL 9.0 - Update 2

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by EleonGameStudios, Dec 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I think that's been a thing for a while. I certainly recall taking fire then seeing the Zirax pop in right in front of me. That was when they were using Rocket Launchers and Laser rifles...with Snipers we're in trouble!

I hope they can increase the render limit at some point, both to resolve this "shot by unrendered foe" issue, as well as allowing us to engage at longer range, if the weapon and planetary environment permit it.

Damn! It's also 01:30...my "quick play" got a little long lol.

Edit: Why do I sometimes get seemingly random "+50rp Zirax" pop up in the bottom left? I'm just exploring in neutral territory...

Edit 2: Ok, about to sign off for the night but wanted to say that running from a RAMDrive does not eliminate the little stutters / snags / micro-freezes call them what you will. They appeared lessened initially, but I'm getting them quite badly once again. Overall FPS is good - it rarely displays below 60 (vSync for my 60hz monitor) and both CPU and GPU load is fine - no obvious spikes signifying the system is pushed. I do however see a slight dip in the GPU graph when these snags occur. I suspect symptom of the underlying issue rather than cause though.

That said, things do load very quickly!

Edit 3: I'm guessing the stutter is some sort of memory leak perhaps, as saving, exiting the game, re-launching and re-loading see things settled down nicely once more. I did have quite a long play session this eve, really not a clue how long, but this does seem to be that classic issue - at least in SP - where stutters will get worse eventually. I have observed that CPU load on one thread get progressively higher the longer I play. Not stupidly, near the limit type high, but it is working harder as time goes on. It drops down again - i.e. no thread is that high, upon re-launching and re-loading however.

Scoob.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

Thank you!

Nice! I think I remember a request for something like this a long while ago.

Personally, I'd like it if we could have a similar "cruise mode" for running, not just for vehicles (even considering the Stamina exhaustion limit).

Why change this? I'd much rather that 2 starter planets were generated. This gives more planets to explore, which means more exploration and more stuff to do.

Both of these sound very good. This should increase game immersion, I think.

This should improve game immersion. I'm glad for the change from Watt to PU. It made little sense for alien devices to measure energy in Watts. And it made less sense for a small device like a small light or LCD screen to consume 1 kilowatt.

Though, I still feel strongly that certain devices, like a simple Switch, should not consume any energy at all. I'll have to check all of the changes to be sure but, unless things have drastically changed: Please make energy vampires less of an issue.

Nice. It does sound cooler.

Sounds good. This gives more purpose to tree harvesting.

I'm divided on this. On the one hand, this is more realistic and it means less demand for Iron. On the other hand, this could make building stuff on moons or desolate worlds without trees rather difficult or potentially frustrating.

3. Jawatraders

Jawatraders Lieutenant

geostar1024 likes this.
  4. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

What hasn't changed is the energy content of fuel relative to the input power of a device, making this a purely cosmetic change. The problem, in my mind, has never been what the unit of power is called but that power is represented as an integer, with a value of 1 representing a considerable power draw. Power should be a float, just like mass and volume are now (or a value of 1 should be 1W (or, I guess 1PU now)).

The solution, probably, is to simply devote grow plots to fiber on one's CV. It's kind of neat that we'll be able to grow one of the essential ingredients for most devices.

Thundercraft likes this.
  5. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

Some great changes here!

I love the new tribal deco stuff. Especially the torch. Any chance we could get a free standing version too? :D

6. runlykhel

runlykhel Captain

Patch up the shack a little, bring in some food and everybody comes to visit... 20181215211307_1.jpg 20181215212418_1.jpg
    Lol...there's also a baby stuck walking around inside the shack.:eek:

SilvRav, AlbaN, ravien_ff and 2 others like this.
  7. Garrett

Garrett Lieutenant

When a negative standing with them... I think you get RP for staying out their territory.

runlykhel likes this.
  8. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

That makes sense. I had been trying to stay out of it. I was following a narrow, winding neutral channel between two Zirax territories at the time. I'm still going to shoot them if I can though, they started this lol.

Scoob.

Pach and Germanicus like this.
  9. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

@Scoob @Grandirus @Germanicus

My system must be ice age XD

I7 920k 2008

Grandirus likes this.
  10. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Still a fairly potent CPU, does it overclock well?

I wonder how my old Q6600 + GTX 570 (1.25mb!) runs Empyrion? lol.

Scoob.

Germanicus and Grandirus like this.
  11. Furious Hellfire

I dont know anything about overclocking buddy, never had a need too.

Germanicus, Pach and Grandirus like this.
  12. woowoo

woowoo Commander

With this update you can't do a long mining session with your hv anymore, cargo is full fast. It's better to use a little cv carrier to move hv and unload ore, only problem is while doing so you don't have access to the hv detector. Could we get a detector working on planets for cv?

Runeshadow likes this.
  13. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

We need a proper sensor system for all structures, really (the current system is a placeholder at best). We could also use hover engines for CVs to make truly massive hover vehicles.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    IronCartographer and runlykhel like this.
  14. ion_storm

ion_storm Captain

YAY, I've been waiting for this my whole life!!!

Runeshadow and geostar1024 like this.
  15. Gaz

Gaz Lieutenant

Well .... Started three games since 9 dropped . I like the new ideas but none of it works sooooooo many game breaking errors to many to write a error report. Think I will wait till I can play for more than a few minutes before weird things happen. Do like the trees you cut down and are still there lol

Cluascorp likes this.
  16. FUE DENIS

FUE DENIS Commander

Ci vous garder ce système de stockage je vous prédit la perte de la moitié des joueurs, surtout PVP.

Garder ce petit message dans un petit coin de votre tête. :cool:

Ci you keep this storage system I predict the loss of half of the players, especially PVP.

Keep this little message in a small corner of your head.

Runeshadow and elmo like this.
  17. SilvRav

SilvRav Moderator
    Staff Member

haha...do you ark bro? :D

18. Furious Hellfire

Being able to scroll the toolbar with the mouse wheel infinite loop is starting to annoy me, I used to roll down a few and know i would be bare hand, i would roll up a few and know i was at weapon slot 1, now i dont know where the hell im rolling to without looking at the bar, counter productive, a step back methinks.

I beg for a toggle for this so that I can disable it pretty please.

and it was made like this because people were too lazy to roll the wheel from slot 0 to 1 ? ???????? ?? ? ??? ?? /?? ? ??

please don't say this is so.

edit:
    from day 1 I chose the mousewheel to cycle weapons bar and never have used the 1-9 keys in any game so as far as i am concerned the mousewheel just got broken for me by this change :s

19. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Captain

Q: Why can't we disassemble the Drop Pod with a Multi Tool?

Seriously. After I first heard about the change to make the Drop Pod remain behind so that players could use it as a temporary shelter - to sleep until morning like with a Tent - I had assumed that this would allow us to disassemble it later for a bit of parts or resources.

Granted, this is not a big deal. The amount of resources in a Drop Pod must be minuscule compared to that required to build even, say, a starter HV. But being able to disassemble it for stuff - even a small amount - would greatly improve immersion.

I remember playing a somewhat similar game: Planet Explorers. I wanted a friend of my to multiplay it with me. After showing him a bit of gameplay and explaining a few things, he asked if I could disassemble the "Shuttle" that we landed in for resources. These shuttles are big - much bigger than a Drop Pod. It would be nice to be able to recycle them. And, being a survival game, recycling them or salvaging parts from them makes perfect sense. Sadly, we can't. They're merely static props to help tell the story.

BTW: There isn't just one Shuttle. Every group of 2 to 5 or so NPCs we meet landed in a Shuttle. All told, there are over 10 Shuttles we find in the course of the game. And players are unable to do anything with any of them. This is ironic, since we can build a Recycle Machine in our colony to recycle stuff, even the vehicles we build.

What's worse is that the NPCs, themselves, talk about staying behind to salvage parts from a Shuttle. And, later, two NPC engineers talk about the possibility of "retrofitting" a shuttle to turn it into an aircraft or, possibly, a boat. But that just teases the player because we can't do any of those things.

When I told my friend that the game does not allow us to recycle Shuttles, he laughed out loud and shook his head. From that moment, he lost all interest in the game. And, while I liked the game, I could understand his disappointment. He said that this was ridiculous for such a game that emphasized survival, exploration, resource gathering and building customized bases, vehicles and stuff. It's a glaring, unrealistic limitation in a game that seems to stress realism.

So, please: Consider allowing us to break down the Drop Pod with a Multi Tool. It just makes sense. (And, yes, I am trying to get this same friend to play Empyrion with me. I even bought him a copy of the game so that he would have no excuse not to.)

Pach likes this.
  20. IronCartographer

Don't tell your friend that we can't capture and fly patrol vessels and freighters despite being them made of generic CV blocks. That's a waay bigger immersion breaker than non-recycling escape pods.

These sorts of things should probably have their own discussion threads though, no? ;)

Edit: Then again, those ships do have alien turrets and loot containers...but it would make a lot more sense if they simply stopped working until we, say, researched how to operate them ourselves... ;-)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Cleff, geostar1024 and Thundercraft like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.