An idea to "pause" the game in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Fitcher, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Fitcher

Fitcher Ensign

I am playing on my own server at the moment, sometimes alone and sometimes with friends.

When i play alone or with friends i actually miss the ability to pause my game if i need to go afk for a short while or do something. Not because i feel like something would kill me but more because i know my hunger and oxygen slowly falls down if i go afk for longer time.

Now i know you can never have a pause function on a online server with other players around but i got this idea that would actually do the same as pausing the game.

The idea is Resting pods (or use the currently implemented beds)

When you use the resting pod, it will freeze or slow down the hunger and oxygen meters.
    You would still be at risk of being killed by other players so it would still be risky going afk for longer time.

The only downside i see with this, it would make it possible to craft large amount of items without needing food and oxygen. But thats already possible in multiplayer as you can just exit the server while having stuff begind made.

Yolofessional likes this.
  2. Alo

Alo Captain

So far I don't see why logging out isn't an option for you.

3. RobDog

RobDog Commander

Although I would not begrudge you a feature that you want, I have to say that this would be one that would probably be way out on the priority list.

4. Fitcher

Fitcher Ensign

well sure i can logout, but this was just a thought so it wouldn't be necessary to logout and login every time i go do something. Also so i wouldn't need to copy+paste my ip all the time unless there is a feature to save it wich i dont know about.

I agree it would be way out of the priority list, but i thought i still throw in the idea.
    Its just one more thread in the suggestion forum. :)

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Lieutenant

If no one is active in a playfield - that playfield stops.

Now if others are on the planet logging out would be fine, but if no one else is there, it stops time.

This may be different on an actual server (don't know if there is a difference) , but using the dedicated client on my spare computer a play field is only active and has time progressing (to include crafting of things / plant growth / fuel consumption) if some one is active on that play field.

What I do if I'm the only on on is stand in the med bay. This is usually done only at my main base on Aku so O2 doesn't play into this, but the med bay keeps you alive even if you are starving to death.

piddlefoot likes this.
  6. piddlefoot

piddlefoot Rear Admiral

He pretty much nailed it right on the head.

But just for sake of argument, wouldn't a cryo-chamber be what your really talking about in the 24th century.
    Empyrion is set in the 24th century, cryo-chambers in sci fi shows basically stop time for the occupant but not the rest of the universe, just seems logical that this would be how they would do it in Empyrion, and I agree it would not be a bad feature.

7. Fitcher

Fitcher Ensign

Cryo-chambers actually sounds better.

Standing next to the med bay would do the same but it would mean you need to use up food resources once you come back.
    I was kinda looking for a way to not having to waste my food and oxygen supplies just because i had to do something in real life.
    Oxygen is not really an issue cause its easy to get.

Also i always try to look for ideas or reasons to build more rooms (or bigger bases)
    I know i can build one more tower/room/hangar or whatever but if they are just there empty, it feels a bit useless.