Anything the PDA can do with HVs and SVs?

Discussion in 'Scenarios' started by Bollen, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Bollen

Bollen Captain

I am starting to realise that not only there's little to no information about the PDA, but also that almost nobody knows much about it....:(. I'll post my question anyway and hope for the best:

Is there a way to trigger an action in the PDA relating to HVs or SVs? And I mean anything: boarding, fuelling, opening a cargo box, the control panel, etc? Anything BUT NearPoi, because that gets triggered from too far...

I've tried:
    - Check: WindowOpened
    - Check: InventoryClosed
    - Check: NearUnit
    Using FuelTankSv, CargoContainerSV, CockpitBlocksSV, etc. No luck...

2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    There is no check for getting seated in a vessel or fueling, I am afraid.
    I am not sure if windowopened works with devices but inventoryopened should.

3. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Hello @Bollen

I'm quite familiar with the PDA (and releasing a PDA tool soon to help everyone).
    To answer your question in a better way, it would help to know your usecase?
    I assume you want to implement a HV or SV as POI?

If you name the container in your SV/HV POI for example, you can access it with NearUnit (low distance) or InventoryOpened or DeviceUsed or especially in Singleplayer just use Signal.
    upload_2019-9-29_11-10-55.png

Unfortunately I am involved in so many things that I can't check things everywhere. It helps to ping me :)

SacredGlade, Kassonnade and Bollen like this.
  4. Bollen

Bollen Captain

You are a godsend! I will try to compile a list of commands and their application and make it available in the forum, hopefully that will help future story builders...

By ping do you mean PM as in send you a direct message or use the @RexXxuS ?

5. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Maybe you wait for coming week. The PDA Tool I'm releasing might help you with it.

The latter. Pinging me with @ helps :)

Bollen likes this.
  6. Bollen

Bollen Captain

OK, I will but I was really looking forward to making some progress today. If you can be bothered, I have only two questions that would allow me to get something done today (I can only work on this during the weekends):

1.- My scenario relies on the character starting at a fixed position, but there's a bug that prevents the preamble from starting automatically (doesn't seem to be a problem with the spawner plate nor the escape pod). Do you know if there's a way to force it? For example NearPoi?

2.- I've been trying per you suggestion the DeviceUsed. So far I'm just experimenting with a fridge and I've tried Names: [ FridgeMS ], [ Poi name, FridgeMS ], renaming the fridge to Fridge, *Fridge, FarmFidge and *FarmFridge, with and without the Poi name... Can't get it to work. Any suggestion?

Thank you so very much and I'm really looking forward to the tool! And @RexXxuS got it!

7. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Don't know about that bug but you can use Visibility: ChapterActivation

upload_2019-9-29_22-30-38.png

together with that NearUnit. Then you can map any device in your POI to that.
    I'm using this a lot in form of "Mission Dealer".

Are you using the POI Spawn Name or the Group Name? The POI is spawned fix?

Bollen likes this.
  8. Bollen

Bollen Captain

@RexXxuS Baaah! I'm really sorry, but I'm not getting the syntax right:
    Code:
      - ChapterTitle: "The Farm"
        Category: Tutorial
        Visibility: ChapterActivation # WhenRewarded  # Never rewarded = preamble will be never visible?
        ChapterActivation:
          - ActivationMessageType: MessageBox
            HighPrio: "true"
            MessageTime: "20"
            ActivationType: NearUnit
            Distance: "3"
            ListVisibility: "true"
            Names: [ Grave ]
    The nearest unit from the player is an LCD screen, I tried naming it and using LCDFrame1x1, but something's not right...

It's a fixed POI and it's spawning as "Cemetery", the Group name is the same so I'm not that sure... I'm using EPD for the playfield.

9. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Actually I got it to work by using NearPoi instead, but now the preamble doesn't trigger and instead I get the first task, this is the whole thing:
    Code:
    Chapters:

- ChapterTitle: "The Farm"
        Category: Tutorial
        Visibility: ChapterActivation # WhenRewarded  # Never rewarded = preamble will be never visible?
        ChapterActivation:
          - ActivationMessageType: MessageBox
            HighPrio: "true"
            MessageTime: "20"
            ActivationType: NearPoi
            Names: [ Cemetery ]

ActivateChapterOnCompletion: "Chapter 2" 

AutoActivateOnGameStart: True
        NoSkip: True
        SkipMessage: "skip message"
        PlayerLevel: 1
        HideTasks: true

PictureFile: Farm.jpg   # Pic is only shown, if you have it in the 'Extra' Folder, together with PDA.yaml
        Preamble: "[FFCCFF]Your parents died in a shuttle accident when you were just a baby. Your uncle Basil brought you up in his farm on the planet Capelsis where you lived until you came of age. Like most young people you moved to the city and got a job, but unlike most people you dreamed of one day going into space and perhaps joining the IPEF (Interplanetary Exploration Fleet). Basil, like most citizens of the COP, thought such dreams were foolish and outdated. He also believed the IPEF had outlived its original purpose and now it was just a drain on the COP's resources.[-]"

Description: "Uncle Basil has passed away leaving you, his only family member, his farm. You are at the cemetery giving your farewell.[b][FFA500] \n\nMessages in Orange give you hints[-][/b]
        [b][4cd22e] \n\nTexts in green are your own ramblings[-][/b] [FFA500]\n\nAt any point you can press F1 to see your PDA Log[-]"

CompletedMessage: ""

Tasks:
          - TaskTitle: "Find Your Bike" 
            StartDelay: 1
            StartMessage: "Find your bike in your inventory"
            Actions:
              - ActionTitle: "Open your inventory [4cd22e](TAB)[-]"
                Description: "Find your bike in your inventory"
                Check: WindowOpened
                Names: [ Player ]
                AllowManualCompletion: true 
                CompletedMessage: "norm;30|Now put it on your belt so that you can place it on the ground!! [FFA500]\n\n(Press 1 or use your mouse wheel to select it)[-]"

10. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Here is an example:
    upload_2019-9-29_23-10-50.png

The first key is the POI spawn name.
    The second is the device renamed in the Control Panel list.

If that is all right try to double check your POI + PDA data (overwrite your savegame PDA files with the one in your scenario)

Bollen likes this.
  11. Bollen

Bollen Captain

@RexXxuS Got it to! Unfortunately the preamble still doesn't trigger...:(

12. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear. I have to investigate myself why preamble is not triggered.
    As a workaround you might use the player spawner for now? And the NearUnit for the ship interaction?

Bollen likes this.
  13. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Cheers! For some reason I can't use the spawner on this particular structure... Something about it not being square.
    So to sum up, the syntax should always be
    Code:
    Check: NearUnit
    Names:
      - Poi Name
      - Unit Name
    Correct?

I really appreciate the time you've given me!

14. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Correct. But it depends on fixed or random spawned POIs. Some weird syntax sometimes.
    Sometimes you need the group name, sometimes the spawn name. Sometimes even the .epb file name.

That is new to me.
    If you tried to use EPD, do you got the structure in the dropdown?
    EPD tries to grab the group name of the POI for the spawn. But you have to use the Spawn name.
    What happens if you use player spawner?

15. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Yeah, this scenario only has fixed POIs. It works fine with a city I have on the other side of the planet, but for some reason the cemetery just refuses to spawn and the game sends me to coordinates 0,0. I've been working on this for two years so I reaching my limit and just accepting some compromises...:(

Very, very last question: the WindowOpened, does it work on anything else besides [ Map ], [ Pda] and [ Player ]?

16. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Is your scenario in the workshop so I can check myself? 2 years is quite a challenge alone.

It has hardcoded parameters.
    BlueprintLibrary
    Console
    ControlPanel
    CreateOffer
    Creative
    Factions
    ItemGenerator
    Map
    Marketplace
    Pda
    Player
    Registry
    StarMap
    TechTree
    VesselStatistics
    ATM
    Constructor
    Container
    FoodProcessor
    FuelTank
    O2Tank
    RecursiveConstructor
    ArmorLocker
    RepairStation
    Furnace
    FridgeT1
    FridgeT2
    DifficultySettings
    PlayerSetup
    SignEdit
    EscapePod
    TraderNPC

But not tested all of them myself

Bollen likes this.
  17. Bollen

Bollen Captain

Yup, but it's a parallel story to Empyrion's so there was no choice but to do it alone. I have accepted @ravien_ff offer and I will probably be using some of his playfields. But the blueprints were the hardest bits since they're story-contextual, so I had to build huge cities and space stations... I'm not sure it will be very specs friendly.

And no, it's not in the workshop yet since I've never been able to get the Preamble to start automatically, without it the scenario makes no sense...

Thanks a million man! And really looking forward to that tool, perhaps I'll finally be able to present at least Chapter 1 of the story...

RexXxuS and ravien_ff like this.
  18. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

No problem. If you want that I check your scenario you can also PM me the link to it.
    Maybe we find the issue together.

Try and error is all we have sometimes in this game ;)

Got luck and thanks, I hope the tool will be useful!

Bollen likes this.
  19. Bollen

Bollen Captain

A few months ago I would've certainly needed you a lot, I had errors popping on everything (my playfield was made way back in Alpha 6! Eventually I settled to rebuild the playfield and sector which opened a whole new can of worms...! Since all my POI are story specific, they are also terrain specific, which meant all my planetary POIs had to be rebuilt/readjusted... Some still look awful! Can't get the filler blocks to do anything besides a square...:rolleyes:

Anyway, I made huge progress last night thanks to you! And that's the reason I'm here now on a workday, 'cause I felt I needed to report before I forgot what I did.

First I worked out two workarounds for the lack of interaction with the SVs/HVs. One is by tricking the player to check the vehicles Control Panel
    Code:
                Check: WindowOpened
                Names: [ ControlPanel ]
    And the 2nd was with the getting the player to power up the vehicle:
    Code:
                Check: MainPowerSwitched
                Names: [ Small Vessel ]
    The player can still cheat (by opening the CP without boarding the ship or powering a different vessel), but it'll have to do for now.
    Unfortunately very few of the objects in your WindowOpened list worked. I should've kept a log, but the Fridges, FuelTanks definitely don't. Also there seems to be lots of inconsistencies with terms, for example Container works for personal container WindowOpened, but for InventoryClosed you need ContainerPersonal. It's a bit of a nightmare to keep track of it all...:D

I'll let you know when I have something more significant to share. For now I have the first chapter finished and I'll try to add more every weekend I can. One last question I posted on another thread but have had no response: Is it possible to Teleport the player with a PDA command? I would like to make the player board a passenger carrier and be transported to another playfield, alternatively I can break down the story in separate chapter scenarios...

Be well!

20. RexXxuS

RexXxuS Rear Admiral

Glad to hear I could help you :)

That is quite a crazy story and I know exactly what all of that means. Been through this myself already.

Yeah, I guess some properties don't work (legacy). Still have to check some myself.

Sounds like a big project overall and sure, I'm interested.

So far this is not possible.
    Best to use NearUnit + Teleporter to bring the player somewhere else quickly.

Good luck and thanks for the progress report!

Bollen likes this.