Are pyramid blocks inside hulls still a thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cpt_Beefheart, May 22, 2020.

1. Cpt_Beefheart

Cpt_Beefheart Captain

As the title says.. There was a period when people were using pyramid blocks as a layer behind the outer hull layer to stop some weapons fire leaking through. I've started refitting an alpha 5 CV and found a lot in there. Wondering if that is still a silly yet effective tactic? I've been gutting them all from this build.

Thanks!

2. fa_q2

fa_q2 Lieutenant

Not sure about 12 but in 11, yes it is still a thing. Lag shots seem to be less prevalent but I have had them happen in 11. I assume that this will not be fixed ever - it is a core problem with the engine itself and latency rather than the game. Unity merges like meshes and if something lags past the outer hull then it is going to go until it hits the next unique texture.

3. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Commander

Let me fix that for you
    When shot is fired:
    1. Save the projectiles trajectory data some place easy to retrieve
    When hit is detected:
    1. Raycast back from the hit location along the projectiles trajectory to the edge of the bounding box of whatever structure was hit
    2. Use trajectory data to cast another ray from that point back to the structure
    3. Apply projectiles effects a the first block the second ray intersects

OR I guess you could raycast in front of the projectile maybe? That would seem to be simpler but it would probably be necessary to repeat the raycast every frame for the life of the projectile.

No idea how intensive the raycast operation is though.

Last edited: May 27, 2020 at 9:09 PM
    piddlefoot and Germanicus like this.
  4. fa_q2

fa_q2 Lieutenant

Perhaps, I would bet that all you are going to do with that is crate more problems as you try and calculate every projectile multiple times.

The thing is that I see this effect in every game I have tried in one form or another that uses unity. This is why I say it is simply not going away. We can theory craft until we are blue in the face but that is not going to change the reality on the ground. Now IF they do manage it I will gladly eat a big bowl of crow - multiple bowls. I hate the lag shot effect - triangles in this game are not as effective and are a pain in the ass to use vs solid blocks but alas I do not think it will be so :(

5. Inappropriate

Inappropriate Commander

Err, no? I never said anything about calculating projectiles multiple times. In my first solution you only need to use preexisting values to do a little bit of math and plug the result in to two Raycast calls. Its pretty simple stuff and with a little bit of clever threading it doesn't even need to be all that fast.

Keep in mind that if your game is running at 60 fps then each frame is 0.0166666 second. Even if the function takes five times that (and it shouldn't) its still getting done in less then a tenth of a second. You would never even know that there was a discrepancy between were the projectile detected a hit and were the damage was applied.

The only potential issue with this approach is that if a projectile went COMPLETELY through a structure it wouldn't be detected.

6. fa_q2

fa_q2 Lieutenant

You know more about this than I do so I hope the devs see it and it works, I am just not counting on it.