Are underwater bases super-fickle on Structural Integrity or something?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zor_The_Cruel, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Commander

started a new SP play-through for part 4 experimental and decided that i would try building a base underwater in a lake, and I've never done it before even in stable.

I was able to place a small starter base (core, small gen, fuel and O2 tanks, clone station, O2 station, large constructor, fridge, food processor, armor locker, and a couple of storage units.) Whole thing underwater, just built into the lake bed. roughly character-height distance from tallest stuff to water surface. Was slow getting in and out, but it was pretty cool for a change of pace, and i had plans to build a walkway and ramp down to it to make access easier. (the whole idea was to avoid brutal patrol CV's finding me and squashing me in the first day or two, as I've had bad luck with that) Was curious if hiding underwater was still a way to cheese the AI or not, so i decided to experiment. I made the base with the core on the far edge, so that if it got shot up, the rest of my stuff would likely survive. everything was partially sunk into the lake bed, nothing was hanging unsupported.(it was all just devices stuck together though, no actual hull/wall blocks. No turret.)

I left to go gather resources and explore for the day and didn't remember hearing any drone wave warnings, and when i came back it was all gone. A single suitcase with some items in it on the sea floor.(not all of the items that were in the base's devices, tons were missing.) I hadn't made a backup save before that point, and there was no drone in the area that i could see when i returned.

So my question is this: What do you think happened?
    Was drone AI reprogrammed to destroy everything player-made and not just to drill for the core and move on?
    Was the core shot out and weird underwater Structural Integrity triggered a collapse of everything?

It was a setback, but i was able to rebuild (on dry land this time) thanks to the survival constructor and emergency O2 generator being left alone. I am curious where i went wrong. Now that i dabbled in having an underwater base, i really want to make another one, but i kinda need to know how i screwed it up. Seems that underwater is no longer a safe zone, that is actually a good thing. Because it was pretty cool and i want to do it again.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  2. ECubed

ECubed Commander

The suitcase may have been there for a while and you not knew it. In the console type ents and see if the structure is there. If so, you might be able to recover it. It is a pain but doable.

3. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

Unless they changed it, suitcases don't drop on a si destruction.

Zor_The_Cruel likes this.
  4. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Commander

couple game days later, i saw the patrol CV glitched on a mountain near the lake where i built it. With what Xango said, i bet it pummeled the base and it was probably a combination of it destroying devices and the rest collapsing somehow. Funny it that it didnt get too far before getting caught in the glitch where it just hovers in place and keeps flipping its orientation all over the place.

5. medicineman

medicineman Captain

AI destroyed devices definitely yield loot suitcases.

Also I'm getting drone attacks without any warnings. It's not the full blown several at once attacks of before but just one drifting in and going at my base with no warning at all. If I'm not paying attention I don't even know they are there until they start blasting.

So that's how I know that when they destroy stuff it drops suitcases because a rocket drone can do a lot damage to a captured residential civ base in very short order.

As for cheesing in the water though that is a different matter. I regularly hide in water to avoid drones. Sometimes not even very deep water but just deep enough to confuse the drone. This makes them bob up and down for some reason occasional bringing them within reach of a jump/chainsaw attack. Enough of those and you can kill them.

As to the patrol ship I always see it getting stuck somewhere after it finds the initial starting base. The crash base or whatever. I don't know the names of them because they seem pretty useless. I've learned from experience that it's smartest just to loot the place and leave ASAP. Although there was night in the mountains on a ningues playthrough where it came in handy having a base right away but once I got to sea level I left. Anyway I always wish I could start with a multi-tool and just sack the whole starter base.

Part of the reason why the patrol ship gets stuck is it's actually still shooting at the crash base. I was a week(gametime) into a playthru with the last version and flying by the seemingly stuck patrol ship I saw it firing at the ground. I got close enough and sure enough it was definitely still shooting at the base which wasn't even pummeled flat. I bet what is going on here is that the segment of the playfield with the base and the cv is being frozen when the player isn't around. That's how come what should be a quick mop up is taking the poor patrol ship forever.

Sorry for the long post but I bet it was drones that took out your base. They shouldn't be able to from my experience but it is the most logical answer. I think the reason why the drones dip down is to try and fire with it's gun under the water or something. So maybe it somehow got under and could shoot?

P.s. where you able to get the water out of your base or do you have to swim in it?

Zor_The_Cruel likes this.
  6. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Commander

had to swim in it. It wasnt convenient, but with playing this game for so many hours and hordes of restarts i often look for new things to try or limits to give myself. I found swimming around the little mini base oddly fun. The only annoying part was getting in and out of the base, which i had planned to build a ramp from shore, but didnt get a chance to. (since this was on Omicron, i already had to deal with oxygen, so that wasnt an issue)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    medicineman likes this.
  7. Xango2000

Xango2000 Captain

You could change that...
    Fill the base with rock using the fill tool, the rock displaces the water. Then remove the rock, the water stays gone.
    Voila, Underwater base that isn't filled with water.

8. Zor_The_Cruel

Zor_The_Cruel Commander

I liked the water, that is what made it cool to me. :)
    The water visual distortion was cool, i thought. But it is nice to know that it is possible to displace the water if desired though.