Autofill terrain for bases over water

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Furious Hellfire, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Furious Hellfire

Furious Hellfire Rear Admiral

After a brief chat with fractalite in steam workshop, discussing a small starter base he had made, and furthering the idea with a water planet version that would have stilts on it to meet the sea floor which would have to be adjusted in length in creative to be the right depth for the right water.

To avoid the creative adjustments perhaps it might be possible for an auto terrain fill or block fill to meet your base to the seabed when you are spawning over water.

I know an autofill function has been implemented for admin side poi placement, is there some method of this that players could possibly use in future when spawning base on water ? to bring the seabed terrain upto the bottom of the base in the outline of the base or perhaps a circle or square

It is just a thought, I can happily build stilts for my water bases in the meantime.

2. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

Could just be my way of thinking but... wouldn’t it be easier to build your “stilts” then spawn in your base? Guessing you’re Factory blueprinting these in.

Or build the base with “stilts” of considerable length, and PageDown them into the ground, well below sea level.

3. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

I tried this a while back and for some reason I couldn't spawn my base on the columns I built. I would've preferred that support columns get handled automatically since it's a pain to try and line them up to specific parts of the base. It's also not particularly enjoyable. I'd rather spend that time killing and looting stuff, etc.

4. Furious Hellfire

There were several times i tried this with long stilts and for some reason if too long it wont allow you to place, like if them embed too far into the sea bed I guess.

I had to keep going back to creative and chopping to get the length that actually allowed placement :s though this was in a previous patch, not tried lately.

5. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

As I recall there is a “bedrock level” you cannot build or drill below - in part I suppose, to keep us from drilling express elevators through planets, and in part for performance reasons.

So I expect there would be a practical length pre-built stilts could be. This makes the case for building them spawning the base itself.

6. Furious Hellfire

aye, the idea is not even for me but for players in future who might want to try spawning available water bases on stilts on water planets. Myself I build them live in game to measure so its not an issue, but I found spawning them again afterwards to be a slightly awkward task for myself so imagining what a steam subscriber would go through here prompts this post.
    There is also the different decision of depths of water to use so there is no definitive practical length atm because the problem changes with each depth.

It is not even an urgency or an issue though, its just a thought, there are most likely hardly any water bases available yet, but with the addition of water planets players might start building them and on stilts and then running into this little niggling issue when trying to re spawn them.
    Atm though there is no justification to change anything related with what I am talking about.

I should go and check if it is still an issue because honestly this is all just from a random chat this morning about a steam workshop item and a future possibility for it to have stilts for water XD both me and creator of said item recalled issues with stilt type bases in water so I came here to talk about it.

And I have not tested my wooden stilt shack since the end of alpha 8.... Though I have no reason to believe any update since have changed this issue of not being able to place if the legs are too long or short.
    I shall have to give it a try on the new water planet and report back when I get a minute.
    For all I know it might be a non issue now anyway ^-^

However, it might be possible for eleon to make a self adjusting stilt block to support future water planet base projects.
    These could be available in wood concrete or steel or truss!
    Place these under your build in place of huge stilts and spawn your build over water at your desired height.
    These stilt blocks will begin replicating themselves downwards in a straight line until they detect terrain at the bottom of the sea and support the structure.
    If the water is insanely deep then it wont work obviously due to block limit in length.
    Afterwards the stilt script of the blocks is finished and can no longer be adjusted and the stilts become regular blocks of the material you chose.

7. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

I like the idea but one thing we'd have to consider is exploits. People could make a one block template, spawn over deep water, and then salvage the free auto created blocks. The support blocks would have to be marked as non salvageable to prevent this I guess.

8. DeadliestIdiot

DeadliestIdiot Lieutenant

Or they'd have to figure out how to charge for the blocks

Furious Hellfire likes this.
  9. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

I suppose if this could be done with “dirt blocks” that simply become columns of terrain raised to meet that last “stilt” block, this wouldn’t be so much of an exploitable issue. Could also make for some interesting designs out of the water too.

10. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

That's true, it doesn't have to be blocks at all. In fact, that's probably the better way to handle it: modify the terrain to accommodate the structure. A reasonable depth limit should apply but that's a good way to handle it.

11. ravien_ff

ravien_ff Rear Admiral

I'd love there to be a way to make bases float. :D

12. Furious Hellfire

Good point ! I guess, it could go based on the available blocks in your hotbar or something, like the stilts will not function unless you have enough blocks in your hotbar to reach the seabed, this way player must rely on own resource to create the stilt.

vscuorzo and DeadliestIdiot like this.
  13. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

Also not a bad idea. Maybe both could even be options.

14. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Commander

The deepest you can spawn a bp is 1100 meters. The water surface is typically at around 1060. It is tricky to spawn deep items.