Not a bug Base attack after drone base defeated

Discussion in 'Archive (Read Only)' started by ac_blazer, Feb 5, 2021.

1. ac_blazer

ac_blazer Lieutenant

Build: 1.4 3258 05-03:07
    Mode:MP Dedicated Server
    Mode:Survival
    SERVER NAME: Eleon Studios - Experimental Branch Test Server
    MODIFIED PLAYFIELDS: No/Dont Know
    Reproducibility: yes
    Severity:Major
    Type: Global
    Summary: Base attack after defeating drone base
    Description: drone base defeated, after it regenerated it sent a base attack
    Steps to Reproduce: defeat drone base, see notifying test on screen, wait for regen, attach will come
    Screenshots, Crash Logs, any other Relevant Information or Download links:

Germanicus likes this.
  2. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Did you check the STATISTICS tab in the meantime? Plz have a look if there is still a base of operation displayed for Zirax base attack (just to make sure it is not a "notification issue". Thx!

Germanicus likes this.
  3. ac_blazer

ac_blazer Lieutenant

not sure what you mean by "notification issue"?

I would love to check but the "Eleon Studios - Experimental Branch Test Server" is down and this is the server we were testing on. perhaps you may load the save game and check for yourself?

to be clear this occurred on two planets, in my mind reproducible.
    first planet, We defeated the drone base by destroying the core of the only poi with shields named "Drone Base" we saw the on screen notification that we have destroyed the drone base and there will be no more drone attacks (from memory) and then after leaving the server until the next day the drone base regenerated and a base attack happened, we then went back to the drone base and eliminated all bocks so it could not regenerate, guess what?.. no more base attack
    Second planet, We defeated the drone base by destroying the core of the only poi with shields named "Drone Base" we saw the on screen notification that we have destroyed the drone base and there will be no more drone attacks (from memory) and then after leaving the server until the next day the drone base regenerated and a base attack happened, we removed the core a second time, last night

4. krazzykid2006

krazzykid2006 Rear Admiral

If the drone base regenerated and hadn't been taken out again by players then it should be intended that it can send out base attacks.
    I mean, it regenerated after all.

If you want it to be permanently disabled from sending out base attacks then regeneration should be disabled for that drone base.

Once it regenerates it should be a valid source of attacks again.

stanley bourdon and Kassonnade like this.
  5. Kassonnade

Kassonnade Rear Admiral

Taken from the Example_planet template (playfield_static.yaml) :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IsCommandCenter: True # CommandCenter for this factions Base Attacks; If destroyed and NO other POI is set as a Commandcenter for this Faction on this playfield, their Base Attacks will end

- Key: RegenAfter # Enable regeneration of POI if it has been "visited" and no player is in its vicinity; Note for Multiplayer only: REGENAFTER POIs cannot be taken over by the players, as they can not place a new core
    Value: 250 # Regenerate timer in realtime minutes (72 realtime minutes = 24h in-game)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # DroneBaseSetup: DroneBaseSetup #REQUIRED to make this a Dronebase (If destroyed, the roaming drones on the planet will vanish after a while/when destroyed); Definitions of Setup can be found further down in this playfield setup!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 1st parameter here shows that attacks can still occur if there was any other base identified as "command center" on the playfield.

The 2nd parameter shows that even if destroyed, the Drone Base will regenerate after X time. If players leave the playfield before the end of that delay, then an attack may occur before or when they come back on the playfield.

The 3rd parameter shows that even if the Drone Base has been destroyed, the "roaming drones" that can spawn in other locations" can still attack a base, but they will eventually stop spawning.

krazzykid2006 likes this.
  6. ac_blazer

ac_blazer Lieutenant

Are you answering why it may be a notification issue?
    that the server stating base attacks are done is leading to false expectations? ala not a bug that drone attacks are happening (again) since the drone base is regenerating the expectation should be base attacks will again happen?
    I may be wrong but my expectation is base attacks stop once the drone base is defeated, even if regeneration occurs.

@Hummel-o-War Please define (game)expectation for regenerating drone bases? (documentation unclear)

stanley bourdon and Darinth like this.
  7. ac_blazer

ac_blazer Lieutenant

upload_2021-2-5_13-48-35.png

wanted to provide the information previously requested (server back up)

the drone base specified has had it's core removed twice (moot if regen causes base attacks to start again)

8. ac_blazer

ac_blazer Lieutenant

After destroying core on drone base
    upload_2021-2-5_14-48-21.png

9. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

I expect that if the drone base regenerates all functions of that base regenerate including drone attacks. In previous versions of the game, this was not true if the drone base had its core removed once base attacks ceased forever.

I can see however that in servers designed to last for extended periods that the constant unrewarding fighting of base attacks on each login would become tedious and un-fun. Or let's say 1 member of a team was making an ammo run back to base during a PVP battle and had to stop the ammo run to defend the base from a base attack, just a most unrewarding situation.

10. krazzykid2006

Yes, my response was specifically about this.
    If a drone base (or any other POI set up as the source of base attacks) is also set to regenerate, it is intended that attacks resume after the POI regenerates. This is the intended behavior.

When it regenerates it gets completely set back to its original state, which means base attacks can then happen again.

If you want base attacks to stop forever once you destroy the POI they come from you also have to not have that POI set to regenerate.
    Once it regenerates it is as if it was never destroyed in the first place (meaning more attacks).

If you are getting a notification of an incoming attack BEFORE the POI regenerates then that is the bug/unintended behavior.

11. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

I think the issue is that this is not the previous behavior. There was nothing I saw in the change notes to indicate this had been changed and yet it has changed.

12. krazzykid2006

@stanley bourdon @ac_blazer I did some digging and have found you proof from the developers.

https://empyriononline.com/threads/alpha-experimental-10.49018/page-3#post-306883
    Pach, "Does this mean, if you kill a Drone base core, it will resume attacking you after it regenerates?"
    Taelyn, "Yes"
    Pantera, "There was a issue previously where after a drone base set to regenerate would regen but drones would no longer spawn at all from it but that is now fixed & base attacks should be ok also."

So as you can see this was fixed to the behavior I already explained back in A10.
    So yes, once a drone base (or any base attack POI) regenerates IT IS the intended behavior that base attacks resume......
    This is how it has worked since at least A10, and it was supposed to also work this way before then but had some bugs.

ac_blazer and stanley bourdon like this.
  13. stanley bourdon

stanley bourdon Captain

thank you that I am sure is what ac needed.
    and as I said this behaviour is as I would expect it to be

ac_blazer likes this.
  14. Hummel-o-War

Hummel-o-War Administrator
    Staff Member Community Manager

• Developer
    Ok with this description this is clearly not a bug but intended. If a Dronebase regenerates the base attacks will continue.

Question remains if a Dronebase should regenerate - but this is more a feedback topic (and for now we do not plan to remove the regeneration).

Feel free to open a new thread in the feedback or suggestion forum and let us know what you think about that. :)

ac_blazer likes this.