Base not defending itself when player not around

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Littletreewater, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Littletreewater

Littletreewater Lieutenant

Is anyone having an issue when you're not near your base and drones show up the cannons don't fire? I've tested it and it looks like if I'm about 600-700m away the base stops shooting. I'm not zoned (green wall), and there is power. When I get in range cannons start firing again. Any idea?

2. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Yep, currently a "feature" unfortunately. The only good news is that any attacking drones won't fire either. Problem is, when you get back near your base again, the drones may have moved out of LoS of your turrets. In one game I had, a single Cannon Turret was fine if I was at the base - it engaged the drones before they got close. However, being away when the drone attack warning sounded, would see me return with 6-7 drones attacking my base, and my single turret never getting the chance to shoot. In the end, I had about eight Cannon Turrets spread all around my base, but I'd still take heavy damage.

This was back in 3.x, things do seem a little better now in that my turrets appear to open fire before the drones when I approach my base. I often see fireworks when I get in-range, and dead drones once I get close. I take minor damage, but turrets are MUCH tougher than they used to be, and can take more damage. This is only with Minigun drones however, if a wing of Large Plasma drones attacked, I suspect things wouldn't go very well for me lol.

Hopefully the devs will address the "low attention" issues, so rather than nothing happening when the player isn't present, the game can just do the maths based on Turret range & damage, RoF etc. to calculate if the drones would be killed. Ideally, this'll perform similar to when the player is present.

This NEEDS to be fixed before the AI starts using SVs', HV's and CV's against us in SP or PvE!

Scoob.

medicineman, Clapman7 and Moonsugar like this.
  3. Cotoktoto

Cotoktoto Commander

I'm using minigun turrets and drones dont have any chance. Empyrion is yet another game where miniguns are given the stats of "machinegun sniper rifle". Minigun turrets are by far the best weapons in game to deal with drones, just test it out and you will never go bact to any other turret type.

4. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I was trying to show how a single turret is fine vs. lots of drones when you're at your base, but ineffective when this scenario occurs. The turret can engage just one drone at a time, then there's a 5-10 second delay for target switching - which is another issue. Back when this happened to me, turrets were MUCH weaker, even two minigun drones would take out a Cannon Turret fairly easily.

Doesn't really matter what turrets you use when this issues occurs - Miniguns weren't a BA option back then - rather the number and coverage of turrets. As neither the drone nor your turrets fire until you get close to your base once more, the drones will often move to places they'd not be able to get to otherwise. Basically, no matter how good the turret, no LoS = no hits. I agree Minigun Turrets are about the best though, and very ammo efficient. Nothing more is ever needed vs. Drones, but I imagine the Minigun Turret will be near ineffective vs. AI controlled SV's, HV's and CV's.

Like I said though, this has been far less of an issue since 4.x for me.

Scoob.

medicineman likes this.
  5. Littletreewater

I haven't had problems with turrets not working on Akula or or Omnicron. I use cannon turrets they feel like they have been the most effective, two shots and whatever it is goes down. Though it's more like 6 or so on the bigger drones. I last used a mini gun in 3.0something and they felt a little ineffective. Sounded cool though... brraaappppttttt

The only problem I have is if you're not at your base the turrets don't work. Now for me, when I arrive my base in usually shot up pretty good, so the drones are shooting me when I'm not there.

medicineman likes this.
  6. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

It's not that the Drones shoot your base when you're not there, neither your Turrets nor the Drones actually fire. It's that when you get close, the drones will be right on top of your base already, then start firing at the same time your turrets do. Obviously one turret can only shoot one drone, assuming LoS, so if there are multiple drones, and just one turret the five not being shot at might quickly kill said single turret, or simply deal general base damage.

I tend to place turrets covering the direction the drones approach from, so if a drone gets around that while I'm not there, it can cause issues. These days, I generally place turrets so their fields of fire overlap, ensuring all angles of my base are protected. When I get back to base now, when a drone alert has triggered while I was away, I usually see fireworks as I approach, and dead drones by the time I arrive :)

Scoob.

medicineman likes this.
  7. Littletreewater

Weird, by the time I approach my turret is gone and there's a hole in the wall. It's a bit more than just appearing with the two groups saying "one, two, three, same time shoot!"

I'll get a few vids up and some tests.

medicineman likes this.
  8. Fisher

Fisher Lieutenant

I've always experienced the same. Till now, it wasn't a problem. As I flew into range of my base the battle would start and my turrets would take care of the drones. Now that I started on Masperon, it's a whole different problem. I fly back to see the last of my turrets exploding to the plasma drones.

This is a real pain in the butt! Considering the drones attack 4 times per day on Masperon, it doesn't really give you a chance to explore when you have to keep flying back to your base so the battle goes normally. If I'm at the base, the turrets easily handle the drones. If I return when it's happening, I have to shoot every drone personally because they've destroyed all my turrets.

This needs to be fixed.

medicineman likes this.
  9. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I used to agree with this until I started playing on Masperon. The plasma drones are a much bigger deal than the mini gun drones that attack on other planets. It's not a good idea to let a plasma drone EVER fire at your base at all. Not even one shot. That splash damage adds up and it goes through walls to your internal components if they aren't protected well enough.

10. Cotoktoto

Cotoktoto Commander

They are two ways to deal with that issue.
    1) Use minigun hover and fly towards attacking drones, they will try to engage you instead base, but hover turrets have greater range so you will defeat them without single shot land on hover or base.
    2) Use base building features (this building spread things) and make standalone postument for base turrets. drones prefer weapons instead of core, so they will focus on your turrets that have 3k hp each, they will dent it but not destroy and nothing else in your base will be damage.

11. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

I thought the patch notes said they'd fixed AoE damage passing through blocks? Now a block should prevent damage passing to other blocks and internals. Certainly in my own, fairly limited, testing, my SV only took damage to external items. A damaged exterior block did not = the stuff behind it also being damaged as in the past. I'd regularly see various internal components damaged after taking just one hit, now said internals need to be exposed prior to taking any damage. This is the case for the POI's weapons I've been hit with at least.

Yep, it was a 5.0.0 fix:

"- Fixed: Problem that splash damage of explosion was traveling through blocks and could destroy devices behind blocks"

Scoob.

Fisher likes this.
  12. medicineman

medicineman Captain

This bug is awful. It pretty much ruined my Masperon game... All the time I've been thinking I was returning in the nick of time to save my base but in reality my base just wasn't firing until I approached. This has cost me A LOT of resources because the plasma drones always got a few shots off and killed a lot of my turrets.

Also splash damage was definitely going through the walls and hitting internal base components.

Lame. I guess my game's over until a patch comes out. The game's unplayable if your base can't reliably defend itself when you are gone. They got all my turrets when I respawned back at my medical chamber and just proceeded to light my base up while I was unarmed. Everything's trashed. Game over.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    NorthernMonkey and Fisher like this.
  13. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I don't understand.. I've never had this problem until now. I guess it must be because the number of drones is so high. Also plasma drones getting the drop on your base to start firing does a hell of a lot more damage than the minigun drones of Akua.

Argh what a drag. HOOUUUURRRRSSSS lost.

Fisher likes this.
  14. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

It's been around since I started playing in 3.0.0, not really an issue with Minigun drones as their damage is so very low, but Plasma and Rocket drones can rip up your base quickly.

While I love upping the difficulty on my games for more and tougher drones, it compromises exploring as I'm forced to rush back when the "drone attack" message pops up. Does indeed need to be sorted.

Scoob.

Fisher and medicineman like this.
  15. dtmullican

dtmullican Commander

I'd love to have an equivalent of chunkloaders so I could keep my base/machines operational while I'm not there and/or offline.

16. Littletreewater

dtmullican likes this.
  17. medicineman

medicineman Captain

I've found the work around for this is just to bury your base. Dig a nice big hole and put your base in it. You'll never have to worry about drones. I would never do this normally but the current base won't defend itself properly bug kind of makes it alright. Besides I can just tell myself the drones scanning equipment has been fooled.

18. PrometheusMK2

PrometheusMK2 Ensign

Still experiencing the issue, in version 6 "experimental"... Am i dumb, or there is really no info about patching it up? Always digging a hole as a base is no real solution... and it gets boring. A fix would be useful!

Edit:
    Maybe this post should be moved to "Bugs" section...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  19. Scoob

Scoob Rear Admiral

Bases should defend themselves when a player is present, given a Turret, appropriate ammo and power of course.

However, the issue where drones can swarm a base while the player is away is a long-standing one. Drones arrive at the base, but no shots are fired by either party...until that is the player returns. Six Plasma Drones opening up point blank can leave quite a mess!

I cannot recall there ever being any dev response to this in regards their plans going forward. However, the "low-attention" outcome calculation method is the only way I can see this working. I.e. simple range, LoS, damage output, damage resistance and health calculations to approximate the actual outcome. With Base turret ranges being what they are, any drones should really be easily defeated when this method is used, exactly how it usually pans out when the player is on Base.

The only other method is having a bases chunk temporarily loaded again when threatened, but that would be far far more calculation intensive, it would however be much more realistic, being fully physically simulated of course.

For me, not having to rush back to allow my Base to defend its self would be bliss...as would automated drones to loot those drone wrecks....but I digress lol.

Scoob.

20. Pantera

Pantera Rear Admiral

If you have a save game where it happens & is reproducible please attach a save game to a bug report here:
    http://empyriononline.com/threads/bug-reports-alpha-experimental-6-0-release-candidate-4.11376/