Base Self-repair Drones Device

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Frigidman, Mar 13, 2019 at 10:49 AM.

1. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Would be nice to get a device block that serves as a BA's self-repair function.

- Utilizes repair damage, and repair to template mechanics.
    - Sends out a visual swarm of drones that repair the base (visual to owner, to reduce network spam).
    - Requires attachment to cargo controller for supplies.
    - Mid-high-level unlock, its a 'nice to have' so not 'required for survival'.

cp6891 and ravien_ff like this.
  2. Taelyn

Taelyn Moderator
    Staff Member

• Developer
    With the new BA attack comeing we see aswell a BA repair function needs to be added :)

We actually already made an idea a while ago even :)

vscuorzo, cp6891, ravien_ff and 7 others like this.
  3. TmikeS3

TmikeS3 Commander

I love the idea of damage c control not just for bases but also CVs. on CVs at least trying to patch the hull and seal hull breaches. (likely with carbon composset, and to keep critical systems operational, ie power engines, Weapon systems and life support. [maybe the hull patch block would be replaced by the repair bay]. ) maybe that is a bet of a pipe dream but that is the kind of thing the crew would do in combat if the crew could move about the ship.

geostar1024 likes this.
  4. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

I’ve lined CVs with forcefuelds as a defense against hull breeches before too, it can be fun.

Not so sure how I feel about auto-repair drones though - especially invisible ones. Not being able to shoot down someone else’s could be quite frustrating.

vscuorzo likes this.
  5. Frigidman

Frigidman Rear Admiral

Just destroy their repair device... same as the one on a BA or CV that is repairing a SV/HV/CV.

Inappropriate likes this.
  6. geostar1024

geostar1024 Rear Admiral

Target their generators and/or fuel tanks; can't repair if they don't have enough power. And one could expect auto-repair systems to be quite power-intensive (since presumably they can't match the efficiency of a constructor). One could also have NPC crew handling repairs, in which case targeting life support systems (ventilators, O2 tanks) could put a dent in the repair rate.

Inappropriate likes this.
  7. IndigoWyrd

IndigoWyrd Captain

NPCs I could totally get behind.

8. vscuorzo

vscuorzo Lieutenant

I like the idea of NPCs that can handle repairs as kind of a low tech auto repair feature that retains immersion. I also like drones that are equally capable but only if they either repaired very slowly or were able to be attacked. I don't like invincible repair drones because I think it opens the door for ships that become nearly indestructible because they heal faster than you can ever damage them. It's also an immersion issue for me because if those things are so tough then why aren't other ships/buildings made equally well?